Notes regarding the msysGit release of 1.7.3.1

Pat Thoyts

Oct 2, 2010, 12:31:59 PM10/2/10
to msysGit
I did a rebase-merge against junio/maint which now includes 3 patches
that were previously carried by msysGit. I also took this opportunity
to follow-up on some of the comments made when I tried pushing a
number of our patches upstream. I have squashed or modified a few
patches and re-ordered a number of them while doing the rebase. The
list below is the set of commits that got rebased this time, oldest to
newest.
'devel' and 'master' are updated now

0ef1e05 MinGW: Use pid_t more consequently, introduce uid_t for
greater compatibility
21ed8a9 MinGW: Add missing file mode bit defines
46fcbec MinGW: fix stat() and lstat() implementations for handling symlinks
84329f6 MinGW: Report errors when failing to launch the html browser.
bb86711 merge-octopus: Work around environment issue on Windows
e4ed1a7 Skip t1300.70 and 71 on msysGit.
aa5069a Do not strip CR when grepping HTTP headers.
02ecf31 Skip 'git archive --remote' test on msysGit
ef5f967 Side-step sed line-ending "corruption" leading to t6038 failure.
0f5f51c Side-step MSYS-specific path "corruption" leading to t5560 failure.
9e48070 git-am: fix detection of absolute paths for windows
0a0c4aa mingw: do not crash on open(NULL, ...)

The set above this point are ready to go upstream. 84329f6 contains
two squashed patches (fb2eae9 + 85240f5).
9348070 has been posted up for comment and is an alternative fix to
the previous git-am fix that was deemed too msysgit specific.
0a0c4aa has two squashed fixes as well

845882d core.hidedotfiles: hide '.git' dir by default
a273508 When initializing .git/, record the current setting of
core.hideDotFiles
This hidedotfiles seems destined to be restricted to msysGit.
Unfortunately it affects later patches too making it harder to pass
them upstream.

bb54a12 criss cross rename failure workaround
e668492 Revert "git-gui: set GIT_DIR and GIT_WORK_TREE after setup"
cd6cccd mingw: move unlink wrapper to mingw.c
21eeb3f mingw: work around irregular failures of unlink on windows
8ee4074 mingw: make failures to unlink or move raise a question
b8cd1cd mingw: add fallback for rmdir in case directory is in use
afc06b0 git-gui: provide question helper for retry fallback on Windows
01d00e7 Work around the command line limit on Windows
3131bd5 mingw: add tests for the hidden attribute on the git directory
7857d06 mingw: do not hide bare repositories
8139a1f Work around funny CR issue
4cdf3c1 Add a few more values for receive.denyCurrentBranch
61f6dbb mingw: Don't ask the user yes/no questions if they can't see
the question.
7061c65 send-email: accept absolute path even on Windows
68ee5fa send-email: handle Windows paths for display just like we do
for processing
ee0c946 mingw_rmdir: set errno=ENOTEMPTY when appropriate
c5d8797 Add a Windows-specific fallback to getenv("HOME");
bf458f5 Tests: make sure that $DIFF is non-empty
21b602e t7602: cope with CR/LF
8ba5b4e git am: ignore dirty submodules
94e27e4 work around misdetection of stdin attached to a tty
86a7918 Fix 'clone' failure at DOS root directory.
3f91f5a Allow using UNC path for git repository
8160291 config.c: trivial fix for compile-time warning
4a777a6 Make mingw_offset_1st_component() behave consistently for all paths.
b150e0a git gui: set GIT_ASKPASS=git-gui--askpass if not set yet
a6f8722 Fix another invocation of git from gitk with an overly long command-line
3a42321 Enable color output in Windows cmd.exe
b358fc1 Support Unicode console output on Windows
15377d6 Detect console streams more reliably on Windows
93685cb Warn if the Windows console font doesn't support Unicode
186ab10 Give commit message reencoding for output on MinGW a chance
6a73efb gitweb: Allow line number toggling with Javascript
00da0e1 Gitweb: make line number toggling work for Firefox and Safari

36d0bc2 Fix compile error on MinGW
I believe this one is no longer necessary in fact. Applied cleanly though.

d624ff3 Handle http.* config variables pointing to files gracefully on Windows
92d4563 Fix Windows-specific macro redefinition warning.
6ddc4d9 Add MinGW-specific execv() override.

Eric Sunshine

Oct 3, 2010, 5:05:48 AM10/3/10
to Pat Thoyts, msysGit
On 10/2/2010 12:31 PM, Pat Thoyts wrote:
> I did a rebase-merge against junio/maint which now includes 3 patches
> that were previously carried by msysGit. I also took this opportunity
> to follow-up on some of the comments made when I tried pushing a
> number of our patches upstream. I have squashed or modified a few
> patches and re-ordered a number of them while doing the rebase. The
> list below is the set of commits that got rebased this time, oldest to
> newest.
> 'devel' and 'master' are updated now
>
> 86a7918 Fix 'clone' failure at DOS root directory.

A patch [1] was posted which should be squashed with this one. It
addresses a couple issues raised by Junio.

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/msysgit/browse_thread/thread/8d20ff3db43390a5#

-- ES

Pat Thoyts

Oct 3, 2010, 5:24:43 AM10/3/10
to Eric Sunshine, msysGit

Thanks. I thought that I'd seen something from you but didn't see it
when I was pulling this together. I've squashed these two together on
my fixup branch now.

One patch by you got dropped out of devel by the way.
b27be6 Side-step line-ending corruption leading to t3032 failures.
This is because on the junio/maint branch there is no t3032 test file.
Presumably it only lives on next or was dropped out for some reason.
If the test comes back we can reapply this patch.

Eric Sunshine

Oct 3, 2010, 5:55:42 AM10/3/10
to Pat Thoyts, msysGit
On 10/3/2010 5:24 AM, Pat Thoyts wrote:
> One patch by you got dropped out of devel by the way.
> b27be6 Side-step line-ending corruption leading to t3032 failures.
> This is because on the junio/maint branch there is no t3032 test file.
> Presumably it only lives on next or was dropped out for some reason.
> If the test comes back we can reapply this patch.

Indeed, t3032 is fairly new and showed up when you rebased against
junio/next for 1.7.3 [1], but is not present on junio/maint or junio/master.

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/msysgit/browse_thread/thread/70110298ae72caea

-- ES