[msysGit] Interactive rebase hangs; msysGit 1.7.0.2

Alexander Iljin

Apr 21, 2010, 1:14:07 PM4/21/10
to msysGit
Hello!

I've got a small repo with some bat-scripts to help me run my home
Subversion server. I made two commits lately, and then I wanted to fix
their log messages a little bit. So, I tried interactive rebase, but
git would hang for no reason. I used to do interactive rebasing with
v1.6.5.1, so I'm not new to the concept. However, I'm fairly new to
git, so I'd like to know if this is a known issue and if there is a
workaround.

I work in cmd.exe. Only the git\cmd path is added to the %PATH%.

W:\git\SvnRepos\Root\e-mails>git --version
git version 1.7.0.2.msysgit.0

W:\git\SvnRepos\Root\e-mails>git log -3
commit 02d35fddee0ca5a8c2838c102c433bfe658822e7
Author: Alexander Iljin <ajs...@yandex.ru>
Date: Wed Apr 21 23:26:46 2010 +0700

Hide e-mail daemon if nircmd is installed

commit 3ad84680097171ccdfe6fa8651de14f90caece29
Author: Alexander Iljin <ajs...@yandex.ru>
Date: Wed Apr 21 23:12:23 2010 +0700

Add e-mail daemon

commit bc16f6604fd9bc91c4eba12fe52203538358b9cf
Author: Alexander Iljin <ajs...@yandex.ru>
Date: Wed Apr 21 17:18:58 2010 +0700

Send e-mail notifications in parallel. Doesn't work.

W:\git\SvnRepos\Root\e-mails>git rebase -i bc16

I get the following file open in the $EDITOR
=====
pick 3ad8468 Add e-mail daemon
pick 02d35fd Hide e-mail daemon if nircmd is installed

# Rebase bc16f66..02d35fd onto bc16f66
#
# Commands:
# p, pick = use commit
# r, reword = use commit, but edit the commit message
# e, edit = use commit, but stop for amending
# s, squash = use commit, but meld into previous commit
# f, fixup = like "squash", but discard this commit's log message
#
# If you remove a line here THAT COMMIT WILL BE LOST.
# However, if you remove everything, the rebase will be aborted.
#
=====
I tried replacing "pick" with "r" or "e". Either way when I close the
editor (and save the changes, of course), git would hang indefinitely.
Examining the state of affairs with Process Explorer reveals that:
git.exe is started using the following command line:
"d:\Program Files\DevTools\Git\libexec\git-core\git.exe" checkout
bc16f6604fd9bc91c4eba12fe52203538358b9cf
Private Bytes: 2208K
USER Handles: 0
GDI Handles: 0
CPU consumption: 0%

Typically a console application acquires at least 1 USER Handle and 4
GDI Handles, which makes me think that git fails to start properly for
some reason. Can anyone reproduce the issue? Does interactive rebase
work for you, guys?

PS: Running checkout from cmd works fine:
W:\git\SvnRepos\Root\e-mails>git checkout
bc16f6604fd9bc91c4eba12fe52203538358b9cf
Note: moving to 'bc16f6604fd9bc91c4eba12fe52203538358b9cf' which isn't
a local branch
If you want to create a new branch from this checkout, you may do so
(now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:
git checkout -b <new_branch_name>
HEAD is now at bc16f66... Send e-mail notifications in parallel.
Doesn't work.

Johannes Sixt

Apr 21, 2010, 2:41:50 PM4/21/10
to msy...@googlegroups.com, Alexander Iljin
On Mittwoch, 21. April 2010, Alexander Iljin wrote:
> Does interactive rebase work for you, guys?

I do that all the time, and it works.

But I have git.exe in my PATH (together with msysgit's bin directory), and I
don't use msysgit's git.cmd.

-- Hannes

Alexander Iljin

Apr 21, 2010, 2:01:47 PM4/21/10
to msysGit
Hello!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 32bit.

Alexander Iljin

Apr 21, 2010, 2:41:04 PM4/21/10
to msysGit
Hello!

A similar issue was reported in the Git mailing list just now:
http://marc.info/?l=git&m=127186897512927&w=2
And it contained the workaround. Turns out if you go to the root of
the repo, rebase works just fine:

W:\git\SvnRepos\Root\e-mails>cd ..\..

W:\git\SvnRepos>git rebase -i bc16
[detached HEAD 740ff03] Add e-mail daemon.
create mode 100644 Root/e-mails/daemon.bat
[detached HEAD d87f4ed] Hide e-mail daemon window if nircmd is
installed.
Successfully rebased and updated refs/heads/parallel-email-
notifications.

Attila Tajti

Apr 21, 2010, 10:34:44 PM4/21/10
to Alexander Iljin, msysGit
On 21 Apr 2010, at 19:14, Alexander Iljin wrote:

> Typically a console application acquires at least 1 USER Handle and 4
> GDI Handles, which makes me think that git fails to start properly for
> some reason. Can anyone reproduce the issue? Does interactive rebase
> work for you, guys?

This happened for me when rebasing from within a subdirectory, and seems
to be caused by the "Could not delete ... should I try again? yes/no" prompt,
which is not visible in this case, but git still waits for the answer. So just type yes<CR>.

Or if you want to avoid the delete prompt altogether just set:

GIT_ASK_YESNO=false

-- Attila

Attila Tajti

Apr 22, 2010, 2:44:11 AM4/22/10
to msysGit
Sorry, the answer should be "no", not "yes".

If you type yes<CR> the invisible prompt comes back so it won't help much. :]

-- Attila

Begin forwarded message: