Update OpenSSH distributed with msysGit?

Nicholas Mucci

Feb 3, 2011, 6:22:37 PM2/3/11
to msysGit
Hello,

There's a bit of chatter on various forums about the network
performance problems with msysgit when it is cloning or pulling code
from a Linux server over ssh. Typically, I would see transfer rates
of 1MB/s or less when performing a clone in msysgit (specifically, Git
for Windows 1.7.2.3), and that same clone on the same machine in Linux
would go nearly wire speed, at 11MB/s. From reading other forums and
my own experimentation, the performance over ssh can be significantly
improved with newer versions of openssh, openssl, and libopenssl. I
used openssh 5.4p1, and openssl 1.0.0. On Windows XP, clone speeds
improved to 7MB/s, and on Windows 7 they improved to 10.5MB/s.

What are the chances of newer versions of these packages being
included in the next release of msysgit? I think that this
improvement could really benefit msysgit users.

-Nick

Johannes Schindelin

Feb 3, 2011, 10:00:46 PM2/3/11
to Nicholas Mucci, msysGit
Hi,

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Nicholas Mucci wrote:

> What are the chances of newer versions of these packages being included
> in the next release of msysgit?

Are you volunteering to add a /src/openssh/release.sh which downloads,
compiles and installs OpenSSH?

If so: great!
Johannes

Pat Thoyts

Feb 4, 2011, 5:53:07 AM2/4/11
to Johannes Schindelin, Nicholas Mucci, msysGit
On 4 February 2011 03:00, Johannes Schindelin

We already have one on src/openssl. However it seems to hang up when
trying to build 0.9.8q while generating the .def files.
Maybe 1.0.0c will work.

For the OP: in msysGit, to add a new external utility we create a
release.sh script in src/* that handles downloading, building and
installing the package. src/vim/release.sh is a good example. To
upgrade someone needs to perform whatever changes to the release
script and ensure that the patches (if any) are still ok. Once the
release.sh script has updated your local copy the result can be pushed
upstream.

Erik Faye-Lund

Feb 4, 2011, 6:04:38 AM2/4/11
to Pat Thoyts, Johannes Schindelin, Nicholas Mucci, msysGit
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Pat Thoyts <patt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 February 2011 03:00, Johannes Schindelin
> <Johannes....@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Nicholas Mucci wrote:
>>
>>> What are the chances of newer versions of these packages being included
>>> in the next release of msysgit?
>>
>> Are you volunteering to add a /src/openssh/release.sh which downloads,
>> compiles and installs OpenSSH?
>>
>> If so: great!
>> Johannes
>
> We already have one on src/openssl.

Yes, but the OP also suggested upgrading openssh, so someone would
have to make an install-script for that to upgrade it.

> However it seems to hang up when
> trying to build 0.9.8q while generating the .def files.

Yeah, I've seen the same. I haven't debugged it, though. Just noted
that it seems to be stuck in a perl-script.

> Maybe 1.0.0c will work.

I haven't tried this, but perhaps it will? Unfortunately, I don't have
the time to look into this now...

Nicholas Mucci

Feb 4, 2011, 10:24:23 AM2/4/11
to msysGit
> >> Are you volunteering to add a /src/openssh/release.sh which downloads,
> >> compiles and installs OpenSSH?
>
> >> If so: great!
> >> Johannes

I'll see what I can do. :)

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I'm relatively new to msys, but
have worked with git a lot in Linux. If I can get these changes to
build in the msysgit environment (I kinda cheated to get it working),
I'll definitely push them up.

-Nick