git-svn problems

dky

Sep 12, 2007, 11:20:32 AM9/12/07
to msysGit
Hi,
I am trying to use git-svn. It does not work for me. Following are
some of the things I did.

- The msysGit does not contain the required modules for it to work.
- I was not able to install the modules as MIME library failed to
build with the MSYS env.
- I therefore changed the PERL paths to use the ActiveState
- The GIT.pm does not allow usage of ActiveState PERL saying that '-|'
is not supported.
- I made a hack to overcome that.

Before I continue, I would like to know if anyone has succeeded in
using git-svn with msysGit?

-dky

Johannes Schindelin

Sep 12, 2007, 7:44:45 PM9/12/07
to dky, msysGit
Hi,

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, dky wrote:

> I am trying to use git-svn. It does not work for me. Following are
> some of the things I did.

This is a known issue:
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=42&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Component%20Owner%20Summary

The problem for me seems to be that MSys' perl has not been compiled with
MSys, at least not with the gcc version we're using.

So maybe the problem would go away if we recompiled perl and reinstalled
it, together with the necessary packages from CPAN.

> Before I continue, I would like to know if anyone has succeeded in using
> git-svn with msysGit?

Sure, I would very much like to have it work.

As much as I would like cvsps to be compiled. It does not work right now
because of quite a few POSIX things it relies on. Why can't Microsoft be
beaten into adhering to standards? *sigh*

Ciao,
Dscho

dhruva

Sep 13, 2007, 2:16:43 AM9/13/07
to Johannes Schindelin, msysGit
Hi,

On 9/13/07, Johannes Schindelin <Johannes....@gmx.de> wrote:
> Sure, I would very much like to have it work.

I built PERL using MinGW (not Msys) and installed the requied
packages. The script runs with out aborting due to missing stuff!

The problem is in Git.pm. It clearly has a check for PERL on Win32 for
'-|' and gives up saying it is not supported on PERL on M$. The same
functionality can be implemented slightly differently using a
combination of pipe(), fork() and exec() (something like popen() which
is not in PERL). I will give it a try and post my findings.

> As much as I would like cvsps to be compiled. It does not work right now
> because of quite a few POSIX things it relies on. Why can't Microsoft be
> beaten into adhering to standards? *sigh*

Easier to port cvsps on M$. If you are serious on having it, I can
give it a serious try. I gave up as I downloaded cygwin variant and
git-cvsimport did not work with it. I did not try to debug further. I
spent about an hour making changes to cvsps to be able to build with
Mingw, I succeeded in getting it compiled by had some linker errors
(missing symbols). I am quite confident it can be done easily. The
main area to change is in getting fd from socket handles and this is
available in Emacs source code. There are some references to strrep
which can be replaced by strtok or similar.

I ran the cynwin cvsps, it takes so much of RAM that my 1Gb laptop was
crawling! IMHO, a major cleanup/revamp is required.

-dky

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!

Johannes Schindelin

Sep 15, 2007, 3:50:29 PM9/15/07
to dhruva, msysGit
Hi,

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, dhruva wrote:

> On 9/13/07, Johannes Schindelin <Johannes....@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Sure, I would very much like to have it work.
>
> I built PERL using MinGW (not Msys) and installed the requied
> packages. The script runs with out aborting due to missing stuff!

Great stuff! Could you please upload it to the mob branch of msysgit?

> The problem is in Git.pm. It clearly has a check for PERL on Win32 for
> '-|' and gives up saying it is not supported on PERL on M$. The same
> functionality can be implemented slightly differently using a
> combination of pipe(), fork() and exec() (something like popen() which
> is not in PERL). I will give it a try and post my findings.

Thanks a bunch.

> > As much as I would like cvsps to be compiled. It does not work right
> > now because of quite a few POSIX things it relies on. Why can't
> > Microsoft be beaten into adhering to standards? *sigh*
>
> Easier to port cvsps on M$.

Hehe, I guessed so much. We might need to use libgit to avoid writing
yet-another-fork()-for-Windows.

> I ran the cynwin cvsps, it takes so much of RAM that my 1Gb laptop was
> crawling! IMHO, a major cleanup/revamp is required.

Maybe.

Ciao,
Dscho

dky

Sep 15, 2007, 11:44:35 PM9/15/07
to msysGit
Hi,

On Sep 16, 12:50 am, Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schinde...@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, dhruva wrote:
> > On 9/13/07, Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schinde...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > > Sure, I would very much like to have it work.
>
> > I built PERL using MinGW (not Msys) and installed the requied
> > packages. The script runs with out aborting due to missing stuff!
>
> Great stuff! Could you please upload it to the mob branch of msysgit?

How do I do that? Do we have write access? Do I make a compressed
archive of it and upload it or put it up somewhere for you to access?
I am very new to all this and do not want to mess up something.
For records, I did a simple build of latest release PERL in MinGW env
(I use it for building Emacs). I had to download dmake.exe (which PERL
build needs on MinGW) and things went (almost) smooth.
The resource compilation has a wrong option for "windres" which I
noticed. I took a workaround by executing the "windres" manually and
re-running the build (to continue from where it left).
Then, downloaded the extra packages and installed them.

with best regards,
dky

Johannes Schindelin

Sep 16, 2007, 12:09:56 AM9/16/07
to dky, msysGit
Hi,

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, dky wrote:

> On Sep 16, 12:50 am, Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schinde...@gmx.de>
> wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > I built PERL using MinGW (not Msys) and installed the requied
> > > packages. The script runs with out aborting due to missing stuff!
> >
> > Great stuff! Could you please upload it to the mob branch of msysgit?
>
> How do I do that? Do we have write access?

You have (limited) write access: the "mob" branch is writable, see
http://repo.or.cz/mob.html for details.

So the easiest would be for you to look at the output of "cd / && git
status" to see what files were changed, and more importantly, which files
you need to add.

Then commit, preferably with the description you gave later in your email
how you recreated perl. After that, just push with

$ git push ssh://m...@repo.or.cz/srv/git/msysgit.git/ master:mob

(if you are on your "master" branch, that is).

> For records, I did a simple build of latest release PERL in MinGW env (I
> use it for building Emacs). I had to download dmake.exe (which PERL
> build needs on MinGW) and things went (almost) smooth. The resource
> compilation has a wrong option for "windres" which I noticed. I took a
> workaround by executing the "windres" manually and re-running the build
> (to continue from where it left). Then, downloaded the extra packages
> and installed them.

It would be nice to include the URLs in the commit message, too, just in
case, so that we have an easier time should we need to upgrade to a newer
perl version.

Thanks,
Dscho

dky

Sep 18, 2007, 11:29:05 AM9/18/07
to msysGit
Hi,
I am extremely sorry for causing the delay. I am behind a firewall to
be able to do a SSH upload. I have become a bottleneck in a product
release and working long hours to solve a threading mystery.

-dky