Silent Install Git on Windows

Martin...@innserveltd.com

Feb 10, 2011, 12:03:44 PM2/10/11
to msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys

Just a question on silent switches for the windows installer.

Is there any? And if possible is there a way to repackage with certain
options not installed? e.g. shortcuts

Many thanks

Martin Smith

Innserve Limited is a Private Limited Company registered in England and
Wales (with registered Company No. 7226521). Its registered office is The
Old Maltings, Leeds Road, Tadcaster, North Yorkshire, LS24 9HB.

This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee, is strictly
confidential and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the
addressee please do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance
on it or any attachments. Instead, please email it back to the sender and
then immediately permanently delete it.

Sebastian Schuberth

Feb 11, 2011, 3:23:55 AM2/11/11
to Martin...@innserveltd.com, msy...@googlegroups.com
On 10.02.2011 18:03, Martin...@innserveltd.com wrote:

> Just a question on silent switches for the windows installer.
>
> Is there any? And if possible is there a way to repackage with certain
> options not installed? e.g. shortcuts

msysGit / Git for Windows is using the Inno Setup installer, and thus
supports its usual command line options like /silent and /verysilent.
Also see [1].

However, there have been no special efforts to ensure these options work
fine with the installer. Esp., I'm not sure what options are chosen
then, the defaults, or the ones from a previous installation (if any). I
guess the latter.

[1] http://www.jrsoftware.org/isfaq.php#silent

--
Sebastian Schuberth

Sebastian Schuberth

Feb 11, 2011, 11:30:09 AM2/11/11
to Martin...@innserveltd.com, msysGit Mailinglist
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 17:08, <Martin...@innserveltd.com> wrote:

> Is there anyway of unpacking the exe as I have tried to unpack this will
> numerous software but it fails each time.

You may want to give Universal Extractor [1] a try. But this is the
wrong way, see below.

> If not, can you supply the files that were packaged?
>
> I would like to create a silent installer with certain features turned off.

No, sorry, I won't supply the files. You can easy get them yourself
from the installation directory after running the installer once.
Moreover, there also is the portable version at [2], which already
contains the files you want.

However, I'd like to strongly encourage not to go this way, but
instead contribute patches to the standard installer script which will
make it behave as you want (e.g. by introducing command line options).
What is it in particular that you're trying to achieve?

PS: And please, always keep the list in CC.

[1] http://legroom.net/software/uniextract
[2] http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/detail?name=PortableGit-1.7.4-preview20110204.7z

--
Sebastian Schuberth

Konstantin Khomoutov

Feb 11, 2011, 11:46:56 AM2/11/11
to Sebastian Schuberth, Martin...@innserveltd.com, msysGit Mailinglist
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 17:30:09 +0100
Sebastian Schuberth <sschu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 17:08, <Martin...@innserveltd.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there anyway of unpacking the exe as I have tried to unpack this
> > will numerous software but it fails each time.
>
> You may want to give Universal Extractor [1] a try. But this is the
> wrong way, see below.

There is http://innounp.sourceforge.net/

But of course you're absolutely correct about that it's way more clean
to get the installer script directly from the source package.
It's free software after all, no need to mess with "decompilation".

Sebastian Schuberth

Feb 11, 2011, 11:47:05 AM2/11/11
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 17:40, <Martin...@innserveltd.com> wrote:

> Its ok now Sebastian. I have what I wanted - The install iss file! I used
> the Innounp with no problems

If it is the Inno Setup script you want, the easiest and best way
would have been to get it straight from the repository at [1].

> I can now attempt to adjust the script to install using our own required
> settings.

Like I said, please do not just take something from the project
without also giving something back. In fact, the GPL requires you to
make sources code modifications publicly available again. So, if you
make changes to the script, send them as a patch to the mailing list
for further discussion.

[1] http://repo.or.cz/w/msysgit.git/tree/a5f56cfb3b7b463bdafcc4acb6e27e7d1abe8f19:/share/WinGit

--
Sebastian Schuberth

Sebastian Schuberth

Feb 11, 2011, 12:06:06 PM2/11/11
to Konstantin Khomoutov, Martin...@innserveltd.com, msysGit Mailinglist
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 17:46, Konstantin Khomoutov
<flat...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>> You may want to give Universal Extractor [1] a try. But this is the
>> wrong way, see below.
> There is http://innounp.sourceforge.net/
>
> But of course you're absolutely correct about that it's way more clean
> to get the installer script directly from the source package.
> It's free software after all, no need to mess with "decompilation".

Yeah, Universal Extractor is a front-end to InnoUnp (amongst others).

--
Sebastian Schuberth

Martin...@innserveltd.com

Feb 11, 2011, 12:02:13 PM2/11/11
to msysGit Mailinglist
No problem. I will look to compile a quick clean silent install with
certain defaults. This is just to cut down on user integration and the need
of batch file clean ups post install.

Will post results in due course.

Regards

Martin Smith

|------------>
| From: |
|------------>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Sebastian Schuberth <sschu...@gmail.com> |
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To: |
|------------>
|------------>
| Date: |
|------------>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|11/02/2011 16:46 |
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject: |
|------------>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Re: Silent Install Git on Windows |
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

bcr...@cbtnuggets.com

Jul 15, 2014, 6:35:24 PM7/15/14
to msy...@googlegroups.com, trueb...@gmail.com
Inno Setup allows you to save installation settings with the /SAVEINF="filename" flag so you can view how the arguments are represented and then pass them to the installer. Here's an example of the output format from git.exe /saveinf="inf.txt":

Components=ext,ext\reg,ext\reg\shellhere,assoc,assoc_sh
PathOption=Cmd
CRLFOption=CRLFAlways

Hope that's useful.
Brandon

On Saturday, July 14, 2012 6:17:12 PM UTC-7, trueb...@gmail.com wrote:
Has this been posed somewhere yet? Would like to have the ability to pass other arguments like /bash_context=1 and /autocrlf=0 to the installer. :)