about the unicode git

vvvmmmvvv

Feb 10, 2012, 3:18:23 AM2/10/12
to msysGit
i found one and only unicode support version on the download list,
name is Git-1.7.8-preview20111229-unicode.exe.
i want to install this release, but i see that is unofficial from
Description "This is an unofficial installer maintained by Karsten
Blees ".
who can tell me the unicode support version was willing to maintaining
or not?

thanks

Erik Faye-Lund

Feb 10, 2012, 3:40:47 AM2/10/12
to vvvmmmvvv, msysGit

The Unicode branch has now been merged into the Git for Windows source
tree, and will almost certainly be included in the upcoming release.

The reason why the installer was marked as "unofficial", was that it
wasn't built by one of the regular people on the msysGit team. But
that shouldn't mean that much to you.

Erik Faye-Lund

Feb 10, 2012, 7:17:04 AM2/10/12
to Victor.Woo, msy...@googlegroups.com
Please don't cull the CC list or top-post.

2012/2/10 Victor.Woo <vict...@gmail.com>:
> Does the most recently version "Git-1.7.9-preview20120201.exe"
> contains this unicode feature?

No.

> If we've used old version of msysgit to commit files, the git
> repository uses ANSI encoding to store file names already. Will the
> unicode version of msysgit auto detects the encoding of a git
> repository?

If you're using non-ASCII characters, then I believe some conversion
is needed. Read up on it here: https://github.com/kblees/git/wiki

Johannes Schindelin

Feb 10, 2012, 12:43:57 PM2/10/12
to Erik Faye-Lund, Karsten Blees, vvvmmmvvv, msysGit
Hi,

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM, vvvmmmvvv <vvvm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > i found one and only unicode support version on the download list,
> > name is Git-1.7.8-preview20111229-unicode.exe.
> >
> > i want to install this release, but i see that is unofficial from
> > Description "This is an unofficial installer maintained by Karsten
> > Blees ".
> >
> > who can tell me the unicode support version was willing to maintaining
> > or not?

Well, they are all marked as "preview" just so you don't get the idea that
it's anybody else's job to fix your problems ;-)

> The Unicode branch has now been merged into the Git for Windows source
> tree, and will almost certainly be included in the upcoming release.
>
> The reason why the installer was marked as "unofficial", was that it
> wasn't built by one of the regular people on the msysGit team. But
> that shouldn't mean that much to you.

Speaking of which: Karsten, do you want to be in the GitHub 'msysgit' team
so you can push directly to our repositories?

Ciao,
Dscho

Victor.Woo

Feb 10, 2012, 8:40:46 PM2/10/12
to msysGit

On 2月11日, 上午1时43分, Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schinde...@gmx.de>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM, vvvmmmvvv <vvvmmm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > i found one and only unicode support version on the download list,
> > > name is Git-1.7.8-preview20111229-unicode.exe.
>
> > > i want to install this release, but i see that is unofficial from
> > > Description "This is an unofficial installer maintained by Karsten
> > > Blees ".
>
> > > who can tell me the unicode support version was willing to maintaining
> > > or not?
>
> Well, they are all marked as "preview" just so you don't get the idea that
> it's anybody else's job to fix your problems ;-)
It was just literal translated from other language. He was just
consulting for some information, never mind. :)
Thank you for your selfless working.

karste...@dcon.de

Feb 13, 2012, 3:48:37 AM2/13/12
to Johannes Schindelin, Karsten Blees, Erik Faye-Lund, msysGit
Johannes Schindelin <Johannes....@gmx.de> wrote on 10.02.2012
18:43:57:
[...]

> Speaking of which: Karsten, do you want to be in the GitHub 'msysgit'
team
> so you can push directly to our repositories?

Yes, I guess that would make sense...

TIA
Karsten

Johannes Schindelin