MessagePack on Android - it works!

MK

Oct 3, 2011, 8:50:34 PM10/3/11
to MessagePack Users
Hello everyone,

first of all, I'd like to say I really like MessagePack so far. I find
the design approach compact and highly usable.

Secondly, and more importantly, over the last couple of days I've been
trying to get MessagePack working in Android. And I've succeeded -
with synchronous RPC no less.

Here's the description of the solution:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7529522/messagepack-in-android/7624106#7624106

Like I've written there, I haven't tried async communication, and I
certainly haven't verified the entire functionality, but the unit
tests in the projects do pass.

Now, I have a question - in light of these facts, is there a chance of
an official distribution package for Android? It would quite probably
help popularize MessagePack.

Cheers,
MK

muga_nishizawa

Oct 5, 2011, 8:32:16 PM10/5/11
to MessagePack Users
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments and for making MessagePack
work on Android. It's a significant contribution to our community.

Regarding the official distribution package for Android,
I think it's a great idea, and would appreciate your further
collaboration on this issue.

As I don't have much experience with Android development,
I'm looking for volunteers to work on the Android distribution
package.
Please let us know if you have any suggestions.

Best regards,

Muga Nishizawa

On Oct 4, 9:50 am, MK <spamnij_m...@interia.pl> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> first of all, I'd like to say I really like MessagePack so far. I find
> the design approach compact and highly usable.
>
> Secondly, and more importantly, over the last couple of days I've been
> trying to get MessagePack working in Android. And I've succeeded -
> with synchronous RPC no less.
>
> Here's the description of the solution:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7529522/messagepack-in-android/762...

MK

Oct 7, 2011, 7:46:46 PM10/7/11
to MessagePack Users
Hi,

glad you like it.

I would certainly like to help with the creation of a MessagePack
distribution for Android.

However, to be honest, my personal backlog is rather full at the
moment. On the other hand, I will be ready and willing to start work
for this task in the coming weeks. I already have a couple of ideas on
how to implement this with a minimal (or no) split of the codebase. Of
course, I could use some help with someone proficient with Maven, if
you have such people on the dev team.

Oh, and, just to be sure, should I continue this subject here, in the
dev group, or on some other communication channel?

Cheers,
Mikołaj Koziarkiewicz

Muga Nishizawa

Oct 12, 2011, 9:36:30 PM10/12/11
to msg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mikołaj,

Let's discuss your ideas on MessagePack JIRA. Do you have account in
MessagePack JIRA? Of course, you can contribute it in your spare
time.
http://jira.msgpack.org/browse/MSGPACK

We'll appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Muga Nishizawa

MK

Nov 11, 2011, 12:50:36 PM11/11/11
to MessagePack Users
Hi,

yup, I already do have an account on JIRA, I think we've already
discussed some things over there :).

I've slowly started investigating automating the build through Maven,
but it will still take me some time. I'll report once I have something
tangible.

Cheers,
Mikołaj

On 13 Paź, 02:36, Muga Nishizawa <muga.nishiz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Miko³aj,
>
> Let's discuss your ideas on MessagePack JIRA.  Do you have account in
> MessagePack JIRA?  Of course, you can contribute it in your spare
> time.http://jira.msgpack.org/browse/MSGPACK
>
> We'll appreciate your help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Muga Nishizawa
>
> 2011/10/8 MK <spamnij_m...@interia.pl>:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > glad you like it.
>
> > I would certainly like to help with the creation of a MessagePack
> > distribution for Android.
>
> > However, to be honest, my personal backlog is rather full at the
> > moment. On the other hand, I will be ready and willing to start work
> > for this task in the coming weeks. I already have a couple of ideas on
> > how to implement this with a minimal (or no) split of the codebase. Of
> > course, I could use some help with someone proficient with Maven, if
> > you have such people on the dev team.
>
> > Oh, and, just to be sure, should I continue this subject here, in the
> > dev group, or on some other communication channel?
>
> > Cheers,
> > Miko³aj Koziarkiewicz

Muga Nishizawa

Nov 16, 2011, 9:42:53 AM11/16/11
to msg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mikołaj,

Thanks for your comments. As you know, tickets related to Android are
following. Let's discuss on the tickets.

http://jira.msgpack.org/browse/MSGPACK-51
http://jira.msgpack.org/browse/MSGPACK-52

Thanks,

Muga Nishizawa