ANN: mpmath 0.12 released

Fredrik Johansson

Jun 9, 2009, 3:15:27 PM6/9/09
to mpm...@googlegroups.com, sy...@googlegroups.com, python-ann...@python.org
Hi all,

Mpmath version 0.12 is now available from the website:
http://code.google.com/p/mpmath/

It can also be downloaded from the Python Package Index:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/mpmath/0.12

Mpmath is a pure-Python library for arbitrary-precision floating-point
arithmetic that implements an extensive set of mathematical functions.
It can be used as a standalone library or via SymPy
(http://code.google.com/p/sympy/).

Version 0.12 mostly contains bug fixes and speed improvements. New features
include various special functions from analytic number theory, Newton's method
as an option for root-finding, and more versatile printing of intervals. It is
now also possible to create multiple working contexts each with its
own precision.
Finally, mpmath now recognizes being installed in Sage and will automatically
wrap Sage's fast integer arithmetic if available.

For more details, see the changelog:
http://mpmath.googlecode.com/svn/tags/0.12/CHANGES

Bug reports and other comments are welcome at the issue tracker at
http://code.google.com/p/mpmath/issues/list or the mpmath mailing list:
http://groups.google.com/group/mpmath

Fredrik

Felix

Jun 10, 2009, 12:08:45 PM6/10/09
to mpmath
OpenSUSE packages are available for mpmath 0.12 in the "Science"
community repository.

The packages can be downloaded and installed manually or with the YAST
tool.
For help on the installation, see the mpmath documentation:
http://mpmath.googlecode.com/svn/tags/0.12/doc/build/setup.html#opensuse

The repository URLs for the different OpenSUSE versions are:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/openSUSE_10.3/
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/openSUSE_11.0/
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/openSUSE_11.1/

Felix

Fredrik Johansson

Jun 10, 2009, 12:38:36 PM6/10/09
to mpm...@googlegroups.com, Felix Richter

Thanks!

In the documentation, wouldn't it be better to link to
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/? That way the link
version shouldn't get out of date.

Fredrik

Felix

Jun 10, 2009, 1:10:39 PM6/10/09
to mpmath
Hmm... you can use this link to look up which versions exist. But
unfortunately, you have to enter (or copy) the URL *including the
version part* into the YAST tool, otherwise it will complain and users
will be confused.

So let's just write something like:

Look up http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/ for a list
of supported OpenSUSE versions and use http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/openSUSE_11.1/
(or accordingly for your OpenSUSE version) as the repository URL for
YAST.

(If you're wondering: The updated files do not yet show up in the
repos but should do so in a few minutes.)

Felix

Fredrik Johansson

Jun 10, 2009, 6:37:26 PM6/10/09
to mpm...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Felix<felix.r...@uni-rostock.de> wrote:

> Hmm... you can use this link to look up which versions exist. But
> unfortunately, you have to enter (or copy) the URL *including the
> version part* into the YAST tool, otherwise it will complain and users
> will be confused.
>
> So let's just write something like:
>
> Look up http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/ for a list
> of supported OpenSUSE versions and use http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/openSUSE_11.1/
> (or accordingly for your OpenSUSE version) as the repository URL for
> YAST.

That'll do. I updated the trunk documentation source (might take a few
days until I rebuild it for the website):

> (If you're wondering: The updated files do not yet show up in the
> repos but should do so in a few minutes.)

It did show up, excellent :-)

Fredrik

Vinzent Steinberg

Jun 10, 2009, 7:03:19 PM6/10/09
to mpmath
> * Fixed LU_decomp() to recognize singular matrices (contributed by Vinzent
> Steinberg).

Actually it was contributed by Jorn Baayen, I just wrote some tests,
see [1].

Vinzent

[1] http://code.google.com/p/mpmath/issues/detail?id=86

Fredrik Johansson

Jun 10, 2009, 7:10:54 PM6/10/09
to mpm...@googlegroups.com

Oh, sorry! Feel free to update the doc files any way you think is appropriate.

Fredrik

Vinzent Steinberg

Jun 11, 2009, 7:37:34 AM6/11/09
to mpmath
On Jun 11, 1:10 am, Fredrik Johansson <fredrik.johans...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 1:03 AM, Vinzent
>
> Steinberg<vinzent.steinb...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> >> * Fixed LU_decomp() to recognize singular matrices (contributed by Vinzent
> >>  Steinberg).
>
> > Actually it was contributed by Jorn Baayen, I just wrote some tests,
> > see [1].
>
> > Vinzent
>
> > [1]http://code.google.com/p/mpmath/issues/detail?id=86
>
> Oh, sorry! Feel free to update the doc files any way you think is appropriate.

Done. I'm waiting for a reponse before I'll add him also to the
README.

Vinzent