Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

george

ungelesen,
09.02.1998, 03:00:0009.02.98
an

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried running JNOS packet bbs on
FreeBSD.?

I see it running on a Linux machine...

--
Operating Systems are just that...for Operators.

UNIX is a way of life. Free is even better

Live Free get FreeBSD!...

David Kelly

ungelesen,
09.02.1998, 03:00:0009.02.98
an

> I am wondering if anyone has ever tried running JNOS packet bbs on
> FreeBSD.?
>
> I see it running on a Linux machine...

For those who don't know, JNOS and TNOS are derivatives of the original
KA9Q NET and NOS code which implemented its own IP world in a single
DOS executable. While used for many other things, it became the basis
for experimenting with IP over amateur radio.

TNOS 2.22 (or was it 2.23?) (http://www.lantz.com) was the last version
I submitted FreeBSD patches direct to the author. Mostly they were
retained in TNOS 2.30 but its a couple of unresolved references away
from a clean FreeBSD compile.

I started back on TNOS 2.30 this weekend and got distracted discovering
the inner workings of the FreeBSD ports system. Maybe we'll have a
FreeBSD port of TNOS soon.

Also got distracted working on the One Biggest Problem of connecting the
TNOS IP world to the FreeBSD kernel's IP world. Linux systems use SL/IP
thru a pty pair, slattach from the kernel side, and let TNOS attach to
one (which one? slave or master? I forget) of the pty's. FreeBSD's pty's
don't support all the ioctl's FreeBSD's slattach issues. So that doesn't
work.

Was playing with /dev/tun0. "hd /dev/tun0" and then using ifconfig on
tun0, and pinging thru the interface was a kick. It worked! But there
are 2 problems, TNOS knows SL/IP not tun, but worst of all FreeBSD
refuses to allow any but root to read/write /dev/tun0. Permissions on
the device don't matter, the kernel double checks and refuses to operate
if the process connected to /dev/tun0 is not root. IMHO a program such
as TNOS has no business running as root so a minimal setuid-root buffer
process is needed. Maybe same process should fake SL/IP? But then how to
connect it to TNOS? Thru pty's! And we're back to the original SL/IP
problem. Probably would be best/easiest to write a new slattach.

/dev/tun0 offers some real attractive prospects for IP over amateur
radio. Simply reframe the output of /dev/tun0 into KISS format and dump
it on the TNC. Same for TNC output, strip the KISS framing and dump it
on /dev/tun0. Then start wondering how to adjust the IP timers thru the
/dev/tun interface... more time spend reading ppp code. And not
writting code.

And that's what I did this weekend.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dke...@nospam.hiwaay.net

John Kelly

ungelesen,
10.02.1998, 03:00:0010.02.98
an

On Mon, 09 Feb 1998 05:00:43 -0600, george <vag...@ti.com> wrote:

>I am wondering if anyone has ever tried running JNOS packet bbs on
>FreeBSD.?
>
>I see it running on a Linux machine...

What's JNOS?

--
The day of the proprietary OS is over. Long live free software.

Kris Kirby

ungelesen,
11.02.1998, 03:00:0011.02.98
an

Jim Durham wrote:
> I did try TNOS, and it worked, but it's nasty, wanting to mess with
> /etc/passwd and have it's own directory in the root filesystem, so I
> passed on that!

It does wonders when one gives it is own account. By running TNOS as
root, you are inviting trouble. I don't *ever* want a program with the
need to open/read/store large files or large numbers of files as root.
If it wasn't for the fact that I run netscape out of my own home
directory I would worry about it. Do you know what happens to / when
netscape seg faults and blows a 10MB file to your rootfs? Space -> Zero.
The only handy part about that is that you can place any (downloading)
file anywhere. As for TNOS... It should be away from the machine. I like
to run TNOS and the OS as two seperate systems, linked by slip. I
haven't had any fiddling with system files on the system. It runs in its
own happy world.
--

Kris Kirby <kr...@airnet.net>
TGIFreeBSD... 'Nuff said.

Jim Durham

ungelesen,
11.02.1998, 03:00:0011.02.98
an

On 09-Feb-98 george wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone has ever tried running JNOS packet bbs on
> FreeBSD.?
>
> I see it running on a Linux machine...

I've never tried JNOS, but I've been running NET here since 1989 on
unix(and FreeBSD since about 1994). NET is Phil Karn's original code,
which was ported to unix. I have my own BBS and mail gateway running
using it for TNC support.

I did try TNOS, and it worked, but it's nasty, wanting to mess with
/etc/passwd and have it's own directory in the root filesystem, so I
passed on that!

You're welcome to what I have if you want to play with it. It's out
for anonymous FTP on this system, w2xo.pgh.pa.us.

regards,
Jim Durham, W2XO

David Kelly

ungelesen,
11.02.1998, 03:00:0011.02.98
an

Jim Durham <dur...@w2xo.pgh.pa.us> writes:

>I did try TNOS, and it worked, but it's nasty, wanting to mess with
>/etc/passwd

No, thats WAMPES whcih takes liberties with /etc/passwd. WAMPES creates
user accounts autmatically on 1st connect. That's supposed to be a
*feature*. As a result I haven't looked at WAMPES in years.

The patches I supplied to the author of TNOS expects a TNOS account
to run under FreeBSD. Went so far as to install the binary as setgid
"dialer" so it could lock its serial port(s). There was a minor thread
a while back on a TNOS list where it was learned that almost none of
the Linux users of TNOS understood why running it as root was bad. :-(

>and have it's own directory in the root filesystem, so I
>passed on that!

By default TNOS does expect to live in a /nos directory. That is
changable at compile time, and possibly in autoexec.nos.

>You're welcome to what I have if you want to play with it. It's out
>for anonymous FTP on this system, w2xo.pgh.pa.us.

Got it! Will take a look.

73,

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dke...@nospam.hiwaay.net

Jim Durham

ungelesen,
12.02.1998, 03:00:0012.02.98
an

On 12-Feb-98 David Kelly wrote:
> Jim Durham <dur...@w2xo.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>>
>>I did try TNOS, and it worked, but it's nasty, wanting to mess with
>>/etc/passwd
>
> No, thats WAMPES whcih takes liberties with /etc/passwd. WAMPES creates

Whoops! You're right... attack of brain palsy here...Anyway,
that's a bad scene.

>>You're welcome to what I have if you want to play with it. It's out
>>for anonymous FTP on this system, w2xo.pgh.pa.us.
>
> Got it! Will take a look.

The BBS and NET have been on the air for about 9 years now and are fairly
bulletproof. It's a reasonable BBS, but I haven't tried to keep up with
F6FBB's changes, so the user interface reflects W0RLI's of yore, plus
some changes I made to add a few features. Read the notes and you will
get the whole gruesome history!

I haven't done much with it for a while, guess I'm losing interest.

regards,
Jim Durham

0 neue Nachrichten