Thunderbird feature request - Preview last selected message like Outlook Express

Emmanuel E

Sep 13, 2006, 2:26:03 PM9/13/06
to wish...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Everyone,

It would be really nice if Thunderbird previewed the last message selected (when multiple messages are selected using the shift/control keys) in the preview pane. Currently Thunderbird blanks out the preview pane if multiple messages are selected.

This feature is available in Outlook Express and it makes it very easy to just hold the shift key and by repeatedly pressing the down arrow key one can rapidly glance through large numbers of messages and then shift-del all of them at once (like messages from the apache list).

I wonder if it can be implemented as an extension. If someone is willing to give me a few pointers to get me started I could attempt to implement it.

Thanks,
Emmanuel

Mumia W. (using mozilla)

Sep 13, 2006, 11:10:34 PM9/13/06
Emmanuel E wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> It would be really nice if Thunderbird previewed the last message selected (when multiple messages are selected using the shift/control keys) in the preview pane. Currently Thunderbird blanks out the preview pane if multiple messages are selected.
> [...]

There is no need for this feature. As you select messages to preview,
give the messages that you want to treat specially a label by pressing
one of the keys '1-5,' e.g. press '5' while viewing a message to give it
a label of 'Later,' then, after you've labeled all the messages you
want, set the view to 'Later' and delete all those messages.

--
Mumia W.
paduille.4...@earthlink.net

Emmanuel E

Sep 14, 2006, 12:32:36 AM9/14/06
to wish...@lists.mozilla.org
Imho it would still involve far too many keystrokes. I mean why would I
need to first select them then label them and then go back later? I was
hoping to be done with them as and when I've selected them.

Start from the top:
Select the first message.
Look at the preview.
Decide if you need it.
If you need it go down by pressing the down arrow.
If you dont need it press the Shift and down arrow to select and preview
the next message.
Decide if you need the next message or not. And so on till there comes a
message that you need to break the chain of messages that you dont need.
While still holding the Shift key press delete and the entire bunch is gone.

Thanks,
Emmanuel

Robert

Sep 14, 2006, 9:24:29 AM9/14/06
Well, you could just use the "delete" key to delete a message you don't
need, which would move you on to the next message. When you get to a
message you want to keep, press the down arrow (or, if you have filters
which delete messages, but leave them in the inbox, the 'n' key for the
next new message).

--
--Robert