Follow up does work: Re: Age-old question

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Apr 18, 2007, 5:16:08 PM4/18/07
Terry R. wrote:
> On 4/18/2007 10:47 AM On a whim, Miles pounded out on the keyboard
>
> setting follow up to mozilla.support.thunderbird
>
>> About to install TB2. Is it best to first delete the old folder in
>> C:\Program Files in order to get rid of old file accumulating for
>> years apparently some dating back to Netscape?
>>
>> FYI, the Profile is on D:\. Don't see any extensions in the Program
>> Files, although there may be. Where is Custom.Dic located or has the
>> name changed? Haven't found a list of files, other than Holger
>> Metzger's which may be out of date. Mozilla or MozillaZine must have
>> a list somewhere??
>> Miles
>
> Hi Miles,
>
> My opinion is to install TB2 into a different folder. Unless you are
> 100% finished with 1.5. You never know, the TB2 install could go bad
> and then you'd have nothing until you resolve it.
>
> I don't know if it still occurs, but there was a time when you could
> install add-ons/extensions/etc either per user or globally. Global
> installs would go to the program folder. I haven't seen any lately
> asking about it so it probably doesn't happen anymore.

the followup does work Terry R. This is coming from your
message from the FF group. It only works when someone
replies to it.

If you replied the the original message, and added a "TO:
Thunderbird", and placed a "Followup To: Thunderbird" then
you would have a message in FF and one in TB. Then who ever
replied to your message in the FF one, it would have gone to
TB.

one. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Terry R.

Apr 18, 2007, 5:44:37 PM4/18/07
On 4/18/2007 2:16 PM On a whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded
out on the keyboard

Thanks. I saw Miles' post in FF and thought he had replied to my post,
but he must have replied to his own.

When I replied in FF, I left the "Newsgroup" set to FF and set the FU to
TB below it. You're saying I should have used "To"?

I thought a copy would be put in TB right away rather than waiting for a
reply in the "old" group.

--
Terry R.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Apr 18, 2007, 6:01:27 PM4/18/07

no, it wasn't. It was a brand new posting.

> When I replied in FF, I left the "Newsgroup" set to FF and set the FU to
> TB below it. You're saying I should have used "To"?

Yes, set another "To" to Thunderbird, then the message would
have been posted in the FF group AND in the TB group. If
you also set a "Followup To" Thunderbird, then whoever
replied to your posting in FF would be posted in the TB
group only.

> I thought a copy would be put in TB right away rather than waiting for a
> reply in the "old" group.

No. You only had one "To" setting and one "Followup To".
So it only went to the "To".

Terry R.

Apr 18, 2007, 6:26:16 PM4/18/07
On 4/18/2007 3:01 PM On a whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded
out on the keyboard

I just checked. He replied to his own post. Nevertheless, I should have
checked that first.

>> When I replied in FF, I left the "Newsgroup" set to FF and set the FU to
>> TB below it. You're saying I should have used "To"?
>
> Yes, set another "To" to Thunderbird, then the message would
> have been posted in the FF group AND in the TB group. If
> you also set a "Followup To" Thunderbird, then whoever
> replied to your posting in FF would be posted in the TB
> group only.

Great. Chris could have included that in his post also.

>> I thought a copy would be put in TB right away rather than waiting for a
>> reply in the "old" group.
>
> No. You only had one "To" setting and one "Followup To".
> So it only went to the "To".

Probably won't be doing that often, so after I forget, I'll probably
make the same stupid errors next time!

Chris Ilias

Apr 18, 2007, 8:51:06 PM4/18/07
On 18/04/2007 5:44 PM, _Terry R._ spoke thusly:

> When I replied in FF, I left the "Newsgroup" set to FF and set the FU to
> TB below it. You're saying I should have used "To"?

'To' and 'Reply-To" are for email, not newsgroups. 'To' is for any email
addresses, you want the message sent to. 'Reply-To' is for which email
address, you want email replies sent to.

'Newsgroup' and 'Followup-To' are for newsgroups, not email. 'Newsgroup'
is for any newsgroups you want your message sent to. The 'Followup-To'
header indicates, which newsgroup(s) you want replies to go to.
--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

Terry R.

Apr 18, 2007, 9:11:43 PM4/18/07
On 4/18/2007 5:51 PM On a whim, Chris Ilias pounded out on the keyboard

> On 18/04/2007 5:44 PM, _Terry R._ spoke thusly:
>> When I replied in FF, I left the "Newsgroup" set to FF and set the FU to
>> TB below it. You're saying I should have used "To"?
>
> 'To' and 'Reply-To" are for email, not newsgroups. 'To' is for any email
> addresses, you want the message sent to. 'Reply-To' is for which email
> address, you want email replies sent to.
>
> 'Newsgroup' and 'Followup-To' are for newsgroups, not email. 'Newsgroup'
> is for any newsgroups you want your message sent to. The 'Followup-To'
> header indicates, which newsgroup(s) you want replies to go to.

That's what I thought. Thanks,