How to lose attachment icon in Classic View

Mike Etherington

Jul 14, 2007, 7:03:00 AM7/14/07
This seems like a really basic question but I can't seem to figure it
out. Any help appreciated.

I just upgraded to V2 and have set Classic View for emails.

At the bottom of the preview pane I get another pane across the bottom,
showing a large icon of the attachment(s). Is there a way to get rid of
this? I need to see there is an attachment but I seem to remember in V1
it was much neater than this.

Thanks
Mike

Redhat71

Jul 14, 2007, 12:23:45 PM7/14/07

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Attachments_list

btw, somehow i don't have any icons in attachmentBox at all

Mike Etherington

Jul 15, 2007, 5:01:44 AM7/15/07

Thanks - does the attachment bar NEED to be there - or are there
alternative places to show the attachments?
ta
Mike

Mike Etherington

Jul 16, 2007, 6:11:25 AM7/16/07

Mm this is weird. I followed those instructions and created the
userChrome.css in the /defaults/profile/chrome directory (which I made).
I also put it in the existing chrome directory. Restarting thunderbird
nothing seems to have changed. Am I being daft?
ta
Mike

Redhat71

Jul 16, 2007, 10:14:49 AM7/16/07

if you have doubts about the file, test it with something simple and
easy to distinguish, such as
* { font-size: 30px !important; }

as to the particular code on that link, i didn't try it cause i "somehow

Mike Etherington

Jul 16, 2007, 4:56:07 PM7/16/07

Yeah the file isn't being picked up
It's at c:\program files\Mozilla Thunderbird\defaults\profile\Chrome
Is that wrong?
Maybe there is a profile for my login somewhere else?
ta
Mike

Ron K.

Jul 16, 2007, 5:17:42 PM7/16/07
On 7/16/2007 4:56 PM , Thunderbird leader Mike Etherington by teletype
announce :

You are way off target. That is the folder for the program files, not
personal user profiles.

With Windows 9x the profile is in path c:\windows\application
data\mozilla thunderbird\profiles\xxxxxx.default\chrome\userChrome.css

Other windows OS use equivalent. Remember to turn off hiding of file
extensions.

--
Ron K.
Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

Alex K.

Jul 17, 2007, 10:14:25 AM7/17/07

To locate your profile folder, see here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird

--
Alex K.

Mike Etherington

Jul 17, 2007, 4:11:46 PM7/17/07
Ha this great stuff! Following that useful article I finally got the
file in the right place and the icon is gone! However, the whole blank
area is still displayed below the preview panel.

I guess I'm being fussy but I'm really trying to get that real estate
back as it's almost as big as the preview pane itself.

Is there any alternative way to show attachments other than this massive
pane which is a pain!! There must be a more elegant solution than losing
an inch at the bottom of the screen?

Thanks for any bright ideas.

Ron K.

Jul 17, 2007, 4:26:40 PM7/17/07
On 7/17/2007 4:11 PM , Thunderbird leader Mike Etherington by teletype
announce :

Yes, and now that you have the userChrome file in the right place you
can add more tweaks. With Tb 1.5.0.12 I have CSS instructions that set a
max size for the attachment display. If the DOM ID is still valid in TB
2 then this can work. The overflow property will cause scroll bars ar
right if there are more than one row of attachments, so you can view the
additional rows.

#attachmentView { height: 36px !important; overflow-y: auto !important; }

Ken Whiton

Jul 17, 2007, 7:37:04 PM7/17/07
*-* On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:11:46 +0100,
*-* In Article Cpadna_sstzwvwDb...@mozilla.org,
*-* Mike Etherington wrote
*-* About Re: How to lose attachment icon in Classic View

> Alex K. wrote:

[ ... ]

> [...]

In case you decide you want to retain a smaller copy of that
icon:

(Windows) Tools => Options }
(Linux) Edit => Preferences } --> Advanced --> [General tab] -->
(Mac) Thunderbird => Preferences }

Config Editor...

Filter: [attach____________________]

The mailnews.attachments.display.largeView preference defaulted to
"false" in TB1.5, but I believe it defaults to "true" in TB2. Double
click on it to toggle it.

[ ... ]

>> To locate your profile folder, see here:
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird

> Ha this great stuff! Following that useful article I finally got the
> file in the right place and the icon is gone! However, the whole
> blank area is still displayed below the preview panel.

> I guess I'm being fussy but I'm really trying to get that real
> estate back as it's almost as big as the preview pane itself.

> Is there any alternative way to show attachments other than this
> massive pane which is a pain!! There must be a more elegant solution
> than losing an inch at the bottom of the screen?

> Thanks for any bright ideas.

A week ago, in another thread, Terry R. posted the following
userChrome.css entry to accomplish that:

#attachmentView
{-moz-appearance: none !important; visibility: collapse;}

He also added the following comment:

"Note that you will have to use File, Attachments (attachment) Open,
Save As, etc. instead of just right clicking on the Attachment to do
the same."

Ken Whiton

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenw...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)