Address selection preference

Herb

May 20, 2009, 6:40:50 AM5/20/09
TB starts offering addresses from the addressbook as soon as on starts
typing in the To, CC or BCC fields.

If my understanding is correct, TB has some clever mechanism of
prioritising the addresses it offers based on the frequency they have
been used in the past (or perhaps I'm imagining this?)

In any case, is it possible to 'crank up' the priority of a specific
address without having to wait for TB to catch up with a change of use
frequency?

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Ron K.

May 20, 2009, 4:18:02 PM5/20/09
Herb on 5/20/2009 6:40 AM, keyboarded a reply:

No, Tb has yet to develope the Fx frecency thing. It's just simple pattern
matching, IIUC.

--
Ron K.

Herb

May 21, 2009, 12:44:07 AM5/21/09
On 20.05.2009 21:18 UK Time, Ron K. wrote:
> Herb on 5/20/2009 6:40 AM, keyboarded a reply:
>> TB starts offering addresses from the addressbook as soon as on starts
>> typing in the To, CC or BCC fields.
>>
>> If my understanding is correct, TB has some clever mechanism of
>> prioritising the addresses it offers based on the frequency they have
>> been used in the past (or perhaps I'm imagining this?)
>>
>> In any case, is it possible to 'crank up' the priority of a specific
>> address without having to wait for TB to catch up with a change of use
>> frequency?
>>

> No, Tb has yet to develope the Fx frecency thing. It's just simple
> pattern matching, IIUC.

Thanks for your reply, but what exactly do you mean by "simple pattern
matching"?

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Ron K.

May 21, 2009, 3:32:02 PM5/21/09
Herb on 5/21/2009 12:44 AM, keyboarded a reply:

When You begin typing the Abook uses auto complete to fill in from a search
of contact names. With western LTR languages it starts with the first
letter. Add a second and that narrows the search. Wash, rinse, repeat as
needed. So what You provide is the pattern used by auto complete to filter
out names that do not match.

You can see the same filtering at work when using the Config Editor. You
can turn off auto complete within the preferences.
ldap_2.autoComplete.enabled defaults to true.

Herb

May 21, 2009, 3:50:45 PM5/21/09

Thanks for your further reply.

I like auto complete and I don't want to turn it off, but I'm pretty
sure the selection process isn't purely alphabetic.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is based on some kind of
frequency of use matching.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Ron K.

May 21, 2009, 4:17:18 PM5/21/09
Herb on 5/21/2009 3:50 PM, keyboarded a reply:

To date all discussion of Abook auto complete that I have seen points to
the simpler string pattern matching. The person to ask is Standard8 (aka
Mark Banner), who is the MoMo expert on Abook. He has been working with it
for years. If you can post to mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird if you want to
follow up on this.

Herb

May 21, 2009, 6:19:57 PM5/21/09

Thank you.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Wayne Mery

May 22, 2009, 8:04:49 AM5/22/09

(assuming we are talking non-ldap)
correct. there is a "use count" for each contact.
there is no means to tweak it or "bump" a value.

but if it's working properly, a frequently used contact should rise to
near the top just with normal use.

Ron K.

May 22, 2009, 1:46:22 PM5/22/09
Wayne Mery on 5/22/2009 8:04 AM, keyboarded a reply:

> On 5/21/2009 3:50 PM, Herb wrote:
>> On 21.05.2009 20:32 UK Time, Ron K. wrote:
>>> Herb on 5/21/2009 12:44 AM, keyboarded a reply:

>> I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is based on some kind of
>> frequency of use matching.
>
> (assuming we are talking non-ldap)
> correct. there is a "use count" for each contact.
> there is no means to tweak it or "bump" a value.
>
> but if it's working properly, a frequently used contact should rise to
> near the top just with normal use.

Interesting function I was totally unaware of. Probably a result of not
relying on auto-complete for a low volume of outgoing mail.

Nir

May 23, 2009, 5:13:42 PM5/23/09
On 05/22/2009 05:34 PM, Wayne Mery wrote:
> there is a "use count" for each contact.

Is it same as PopularityIndex which is generally represented by 8D block
in .mab files?

Herb

May 24, 2009, 8:38:31 AM5/24/09
On 22.05.2009 13:04 UK Time, Wayne Mery wrote:

>> I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is based on some kind of
>> frequency of use matching.
>
> (assuming we are talking non-ldap)
> correct. there is a "use count" for each contact.
> there is no means to tweak it or "bump" a value.
>
> but if it's working properly, a frequently used contact should rise to
> near the top just with normal use.

Hi Wayne

Thanks for the confirmation that there is a "use count".

For one of my regular correspondents I recently switched from their work
address to their private address as the default 'channel', so it sounds
as if I simply have to be a bit more patient until their private address
comes up first.

Shame there isn't a tweak to do it manually.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk