Default where the quote goes?

Djanvk

Mar 8, 2006, 10:52:55 AM3/8/06
When I respond to a message the quote of the previous message is at the
beginning of the message and it starts my reply at the bottom, is there
a way to reverse that so my reply is at the top automatically?

THanks

Djanvk

Mar 8, 2006, 11:26:09 AM3/8/06
Nevermind figured this one out myself

C A Upsdell

Mar 8, 2006, 12:09:03 PM3/8/06

The reply for newsgroups should be at the bottom. You will annoy people
if you put it at the top.

Brian J. Graham

Mar 8, 2006, 12:10:10 PM3/8/06

Glad you did ... *but* the preference in these tech support groups is to
bottom post to maintain continuity. You can set up your newsgroup
account that way and still have top posting set up in your other
accounts such as e-mail.

--
Brian

. http://www.mozilla.org

. http://ilias.ca/mozilla/

. http://ilias.ca/

. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

V S Rawat

Mar 8, 2006, 1:38:47 PM3/8/06
Brian J. Graham wrote:

> Djanvk wrote:
> > Nevermind figured this one out myself
> >
> > Djanvk wrote:
> > > When I respond to a message the quote of the previous
> > > message is at the beginning of the message and it starts
> > > my reply at the bottom, is there a way to reverse that so
> > > my reply is at the top automatically?
> > >
> > > THanks
>

> Glad you did ... but the preference in these tech support

> groups is to bottom post to maintain continuity. You can set
> up your newsgroup account that way and still have top posting
> set up in your other accounts such as e-mail.

Hi Brian,

The general statement that ALL tech support groups have bottom
posting, might not be correct.

I have seen that microsoft ngs mostly use top posting.

Just mentioning it. Not that I support that. I find that very
irritating.

--
Rawat

Marko Jotic

Mar 8, 2006, 1:40:36 PM3/8/06
If you follow threaded views its bottom posters that are annoying

--
Marko Jotic
"Common sense is anything but common".

Marko Jotic

Mar 8, 2006, 1:41:10 PM3/8/06
this one maybe, most newsgroups top post at will

V S Rawat

Mar 8, 2006, 2:41:55 PM3/8/06
Marko Jotic wrote:

> V S Rawat wrote:
> > Brian J. Graham wrote:

> > > Glad you did ... but the preference in these tech support
> > > groups is to bottom post to maintain continuity. You can
> > > set up your newsgroup account that way and still have top
> > > posting set up in your other accounts such as e-mail.
> >
> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > The general statement that ALL tech support groups have
> > bottom posting, might not be correct.
> >
> > I have seen that microsoft ngs mostly use top posting.
> >
> > Just mentioning it. Not that I support that. I find that very
> > irritating.
> >
> If you follow threaded views its bottom posters that are
> annoying

But, if you are deleting ng posts after some days (7 days for
me), then you will find bottom posting a boon, because previous
messages of the thread would have disappeared.

Anyway, I appreciate the gesture that you seem to like top
posting, but you have taken care to bottom-post as per the
practise of this ng. Keep it up.

--
Rawat

gwtc

Mar 8, 2006, 3:30:19 PM3/8/06
V S Rawat wrote:

Thats microsoft for you. They always do thing different there.
Another anoying thing that they do, is the experts, when replying,
have their message above, then their sig file and sig file delimiter
inbetween their message and the replied to message. Now, when you go
to reply, everything below is wiped out.

--
so you think you've got computer problems!? HA! Its probably nothing
compared to this kids problem:

Chris Ilias

Mar 8, 2006, 4:00:58 PM3/8/06
_V S Rawat_ spoke thusly on 08/03/2006 1:38 PM:

> Brian J. Graham wrote:
>
>> Glad you did ... but the preference in these tech support
>> groups is to bottom post to maintain continuity.
<snip>

Actually, Brian did not say "all". He said "these". :-)
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

CBFalconer

Mar 8, 2006, 4:45:54 PM3/8/06
Marko Jotic wrote:
> V S Rawat wrote:
>> Brian J. Graham wrote:

>>> Glad you did ... but the preference in these tech support
>>> groups is to bottom post to maintain continuity. You can set
>>> up your newsgroup account that way and still have top posting
>>> set up in your other accounts such as e-mail.
>>
>> The general statement that ALL tech support groups have bottom
>> posting, might not be correct.
>>
>> I have seen that microsoft ngs mostly use top posting.
>>
>> Just mentioning it. Not that I support that. I find that very
>> irritating.
>>
> If you follow threaded views its bottom posters that are annoying

On the contrary, it is posters who fail to snip that are annoying.
This seems to include 100% of top-posters, who also create the
annoyance of incomprehensible sequencing.

MushMorton

Mar 8, 2006, 6:16:01 PM3/8/06
On 3/8/2006 1:38 PM V S Rawat ,sat at the keyboard and poured forth:
Ahh, but Brian didn't say ALL tech support groups. He said THESE tech
support groups; that is, the groups on this server.

--
Jim

"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large
ones."
-Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Jay Garcia

Mar 8, 2006, 10:35:06 PM3/8/06

Mar 8, 2006, 10:36:47 PM3/8/06
On 08.03.2006 12:38, V S Rawat wrote:

> The general statement that ALL tech support groups have bottom
> posting, might not be correct.

He didn't say ALL, he said in "these" support groups.

Jay Garcia

Mar 8, 2006, 10:38:23 PM3/8/06

Mar 8, 2006, 11:39:28 PM3/8/06
_Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly on 08/03/2006 10:38 PM:

> On 08.03.2006 12:41, Marko Jotic wrote:

No, please don't. It won't make any difference in here, other than fuel
a long thread about top-posting vs bottom posting. Such pointless
discussions should be moved to mozilla.general.

MikeR

Mar 13, 2006, 8:32:54 AM3/13/06
A: Top posting
Q: What's a real annoyance in newsgroups?
MikeR <vbg>

Marko Jotic

Mar 23, 2006, 2:25:33 PM3/23/06
CBFalconer wrote:
> Marko Jotic wrote:
>> V S Rawat wrote:

>>> The general statement that ALL tech support groups have bottom
>>> posting, might not be correct.
>>>
>>> I have seen that microsoft ngs mostly use top posting.
>>>
>>> Just mentioning it. Not that I support that. I find that very
>>> irritating.
>>>
>> If you follow threaded views its bottom posters that are annoying
>
> On the contrary, it is posters who fail to snip that are annoying.
> This seems to include 100% of top-posters, who also create the
> annoyance of incomprehensible sequencing.

nice sophistry, if you bottom post and snip you get in shit for not
leaving it all there for the next guy that comes along, most of this
bottom posted newsgroup is unsnipped bloat

anyway I just like to punch holes in the arguments, especially from
bottom posters who won't learn that there are other methods. For example
in political newsgroups you end up posting inline if you want to be clear

Marko Jotic

Mar 23, 2006, 2:32:04 PM3/23/06
V S Rawat wrote:

> Marko Jotic wrote:
>> If you follow threaded views its bottom posters that are
>> annoying
>
> But, if you are deleting ng posts after some days (7 days for
> me), then you will find bottom posting a boon, because previous
> messages of the thread would have disappeared.
>
> Anyway, I appreciate the gesture that you seem to like top
> posting, but you have taken care to bottom-post as per the
> practise of this ng. Keep it up.

this is a case where bottom posting is wrong, the following responses
should be inline:
Does that mean you are downloading all the posts, can't you call them up
again or do you loose the header too?
not so much a gesture as self defense: when I forget I end up with a
slew of insulting responses, each one from a bottom poster that has no
way of realizing that I've already been told off because he cannot
imagine checking a thread

WTF are threaded views for?

Marko Jotic

Mar 23, 2006, 2:33:35 PM3/23/06
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 08.03.2006 12:40, Marko Jotic wrote:

a bottom poster that cannot read: "IF YOU FOLLOW THREADED VIEWS" means
you don't need to reread everything every time

Marko Jotic

Mar 23, 2006, 2:36:56 PM3/23/06
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 08.03.2006 12:41, Marko Jotic wrote:

in all MS groups and corel groups; the political groups I follow tend to
all three methods depending on the actual discussion, some users not
even quoting the relpied to text

Ed Mullen

Mar 23, 2006, 3:08:00 PM3/23/06
Marko Jotic wrote:

> nice sophistry, if you bottom post and snip you get in shit for not
> leaving it all there for the next guy that comes along, most of this
> bottom posted newsgroup is unsnipped bloat
>
> anyway I just like to punch holes in the arguments, especially from
> bottom posters who won't learn that there are other methods. For example
> in political newsgroups you end up posting inline if you want to be clear

http://www.mozilla.org/support/

A quick read of the etiquette page's paragraph "Top-posting vs
bottom-posting" defines the preference for these groups as
"interspersing with trimming." And, as it further says, "For a simple
reply, this is equivalent bottom-posting."

Arguing about it, logically or otherwise, is really kind of pointless in
light of the established norm.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Don Nickell

Mar 23, 2006, 3:29:35 PM3/23/06
Maybe we should allow *all* messages to use HTML and color quotes *red*.

That way we could tie up all the Internet and Server lines and never have
to worry about getting e-mail spam or viruses. :-\

Pete Holsberg

Mar 23, 2006, 3:49:35 PM3/23/06
to Mozilla Thunderbird end-user help

Wanna hazard a guess as to the % of emailers who use HTML (or "rich text") exclusively, thanks to AOL and many large ISPs whose webmail services set HTML as the default?

--
Pete Holsberg
Columbus, NJ

"Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a peeing area in a pool." - Thomas Pfeffer, American Heart Association

V S Rawat

Mar 23, 2006, 3:48:53 PM3/23/06
On 3/24/2006 1:02 AM India Time, _Marko Jotic_ wrote:

> V S Rawat wrote:
>> Marko Jotic wrote:
>>> If you follow threaded views its bottom posters that are
>>> annoying
>> But, if you are deleting ng posts after some days (7 days for
>> me), then you will find bottom posting a boon, because previous
>> messages of the thread would have disappeared.
>>
>> Anyway, I appreciate the gesture that you seem to like top
>> posting, but you have taken care to bottom-post as per the
>> practise of this ng. Keep it up.
>>
> this is a case where bottom posting is wrong, the following responses
> should be inline:
> Does that mean you are downloading all the posts,

yes.

I do offline reading for news/mails. I mean I remain online (I have
unlimited DSL) but I download the headers and message bodies, and read
them. It is becoming complicated. I thing some new term should be coined
whether I am reading online or off-line.

As far as "all the posts" is concerned, when I have downloaded previous
day's posts the previous day, it downloads only new posts the next time.
So, I don't need to download all the posts daily.

> can't you call them up again or do you loose the header too?

DUH. Are you a bird who has never used offline reading? Nice to meet
you. I was not aware of the species.

yeah. I have set it to delete all header/ bodies/ attachments after 7 days.

I can again download the previous (gone) messages, but I don't feel the
need to do so. If a user snips entire previous message, and posts his
own reply, then I am at a loss, having a key without having the lock.

> not so much a gesture as self defense: when I forget I end up with a
> slew of insulting responses, each one from a bottom poster that has no
> way of realizing that I've already been told off because he cannot
> imagine checking a thread

Even if I know how to check a thread, and even if I have previous method
to refer to, why do you want me to take all the trouble of checking the
previous method, just because you don't care to bottompost?

> WTF are threaded views for?

Are swearwords allowed in this ng? In abbreviated form. :)

Threaded views are for keeping track of individual points of a message.
A branch of a thread concentrates on one aspect of that post.

If you think threaded views are to facilitate top-posters, I am ready to
give up threaded views, but I am not accepting toppostings.

Let us play a game.

Top posting.

(scroll down to know the question)

--
Rawat

V S Rawat

Mar 23, 2006, 3:55:09 PM3/23/06
On 3/24/2006 1:06 AM India Time, _Marko Jotic_ wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 08.03.2006 12:41, Marko Jotic wrote:

Indeed.

If top-poster are bad, then full-snippers are the worst.

But, to give them benefit of doubt, I have observed such behaviour
mostly in entertainment ngs/ mailing lists where people are so much
excited about knowing the answer of a question that they don't quote
anything and just write their answer.

e.g. You receive a message:
------------start
George Micheal
------------end

(yeah. that was the entire message. between the dash-ed lines)

Then you dig out previous message that was some question about some song
whose answer was george micheal.

--
Rawat

Marko Jotic

Mar 23, 2006, 4:24:51 PM3/23/06

the question was rhetorical, I suspected something was wrong. I never
used offline for newsgroups since I was on ADSL when I started using them

> yeah. I have set it to delete all header/ bodies/ attachments after 7 days.
>
> I can again download the previous (gone) messages, but I don't feel the
> need to do so. If a user snips entire previous message, and posts his
> own reply, then I am at a loss, having a key without having the lock.
>
>> not so much a gesture as self defense: when I forget I end up with a
>> slew of insulting responses, each one from a bottom poster that has no
>> way of realizing that I've already been told off because he cannot
>> imagine checking a thread
>
> Even if I know how to check a thread, and even if I have previous method
> to refer to, why do you want me to take all the trouble of checking the
> previous method, just because you don't care to bottompost?

read the quote you are answering, if I make a mistake I don't mind being
reminded to bottom post, I mind being dissed a dozen times, and this is
only by bottom posters

>> WTF are threaded views for?
>>

> Are swearwords allowed in this ng? In abbreviated form. :)

seen them often

> Threaded views are for keeping track of individual points of a message.
> A branch of a thread concentrates on one aspect of that post.

no, its a direct reflection of replies, two replies to one post are not
necessarily different aspects

> If you think threaded views are to facilitate top-posters, I am ready to
> give up threaded views, but I am not accepting toppostings.

no, I think threaded views are more efficient. I rarely post questions
because I first search through the subjects, often I find multiple
redundant answers, often by the same person seeing and responding over
and over to the same question elsewhere on the same thread, worse, I
have seen people answering themselves (?)

> Let us play a game.

dumb game, play it in threaded view and you rarely have to scroll

> Top posting.
>

> (scroll down to know the question)
>

> (scroll down to know the question)
>

> (scroll down to know the question)
>

> (scroll down to know the question)
>

> > What is the most irritating way of replying to a message?

answered above: when its already been answered ten times

Marko Jotic

Mar 23, 2006, 4:29:46 PM3/23/06
I am not arguing about the use of bottom posting here, in fact by your
quote this is an inline group. At least its an "established norm", here,
elsewhere its not.

Marko Jotic

Mar 23, 2006, 4:32:01 PM3/23/06

actually I would like to paint all spammers red, then tar and feather
them, especially the ones trolling these groups that carry real names

Marko Jotic

Mar 23, 2006, 4:34:16 PM3/23/06
yup, that's the worst

but then I use threaded views so its always one up

V S Rawat

Mar 23, 2006, 5:16:27 PM3/23/06

Then you are at a loss.

Whatever high is the speed of a DSL connection, I have observed that
there is always an initial slight delay when the reader contacts the
server and establishes the connection. After that is done, the download
of message is fast.

I have tried online reading also (newsposts) and I found that initial
delay irritating. Thus, I have resumed to offline downloading which
makes changing messages quite fast.

If you so wish, you might try using downloading for offline reading. Do
tell us if that makes reading faster than online reading.

>> yeah. I have set it to delete all header/ bodies/ attachments after 7 days.
>>
>> I can again download the previous (gone) messages, but I don't feel the
>> need to do so. If a user snips entire previous message, and posts his
>> own reply, then I am at a loss, having a key without having the lock.
>>
>>> not so much a gesture as self defense: when I forget I end up with a
>>> slew of insulting responses, each one from a bottom poster that has no
>>> way of realizing that I've already been told off because he cannot
>>> imagine checking a thread
>> Even if I know how to check a thread, and even if I have previous method
>> to refer to, why do you want me to take all the trouble of checking the
>> previous method, just because you don't care to bottompost?
>
> read the quote you are answering, if I make a mistake I don't mind being
> reminded to bottom post, I mind being dissed a dozen times, and this is
> only by bottom posters
>>> WTF are threaded views for?
>>>
>> Are swearwords allowed in this ng? In abbreviated form. :)
>
> seen them often

moderator! moderator! your comments needed.

>> Threaded views are for keeping track of individual points of a message.
>> A branch of a thread concentrates on one aspect of that post.
>
> no, its a direct reflection of replies, two replies to one post are not
> necessarily different aspects

once a member replies, it is obvious that the points raised by him are
explored further down the thread.

Thus, two or three replies of a message will create different branches
which will process different points.

>> If you think threaded views are to facilitate top-posters, I am ready to
>> give up threaded views, but I am not accepting toppostings.
>
> no, I think threaded views are more efficient. I rarely post questions
> because I first search through the subjects, often I find multiple
> redundant answers, often by the same person seeing and responding over
> and over to the same question elsewhere on the same thread, worse, I
> have seen people answering themselves (?)

--
Rawat

V S Rawat

Mar 23, 2006, 5:18:37 PM3/23/06

not when you have deleted previous messages. In online reading also, I
don't think you will be keeping all millions of messages that had ever
been posted in the list.

I have seen such replies after two months.

--
Rawat

CBFalconer

Mar 23, 2006, 9:57:05 PM3/23/06
Marko Jotic wrote:
> CBFalconer wrote:
>> Marko Jotic wrote:

... snip ...

>>> If you follow threaded views its bottom posters that are annoying
>>
>> On the contrary, it is posters who fail to snip that are annoying.
>> This seems to include 100% of top-posters, who also create the
>> annoyance of incomprehensible sequencing.
>
> nice sophistry, if you bottom post and snip you get in shit for not
> leaving it all there for the next guy that comes along, most of this
> bottom posted newsgroup is unsnipped bloat

You snip the part not germane to your answer. Simple.

Marko Jotic

Mar 24, 2006, 3:18:37 PM3/24/06
CBFalconer wrote:
> Marko Jotic wrote:
>> CBFalconer wrote:
>>> Marko Jotic wrote:
>>>
> ... snip ...
>>> On the contrary, it is posters who fail to snip that are annoying.
>>> This seems to include 100% of top-posters, who also create the
>>> annoyance of incomprehensible sequencing.
>> nice sophistry, if you bottom post and snip you get in shit for not
>> leaving it all there for the next guy that comes along, most of this
>> bottom posted newsgroup is unsnipped bloat
>
> You snip the part not germane to your answer. Simple.

read what I said, I obviously snipped what was not germane and got in shit

The Real Bev

Mar 24, 2006, 8:17:06 PM3/24/06
Marko Jotic wrote:

> CBFalconer wrote:
>> Marko Jotic wrote:
>> ... snip ...
>>> nice sophistry, if you bottom post and snip you get in shit for not
>>> leaving it all there for the next guy that comes along, most of this
>>> bottom posted newsgroup is unsnipped bloat
>>
>> You snip the part not germane to your answer. Simple.
>>
> read what I said, I obviously snipped what was not germane and got in shit

If I snip text I try to snip the attribution that goes with that text.
Anything else is kind of confusing.

BTW, are those your knife designs? Very strange and interesting.

Marko Jotic

Mar 29, 2006, 4:00:32 PM3/29/06
my cousin, all hand made, very nice

The Real Bev

Mar 29, 2006, 4:35:51 PM3/29/06
Marko Jotic wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> BTW, are those your knife designs? Very strange and interesting.
>>
> my cousin, all hand made, very nice

I especially liked the one labeled 'A table'. It reminded me of the
surgical instruments in 'Dead Ringers', one of the creepiest movies I've
ever seen.

Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens
to suck you out of your car.

Chris Ilias

Mar 29, 2006, 5:20:06 PM3/29/06
_Marko Jotic_ spoke thusly on 29/03/2006 4:00 PM:

> my cousin, all hand made, very nice

Please move OT discussion to mozilla.general, thanks.