IMAP questions

1 view

stef

Oct 1, 2006, 12:40:27 AM10/1/06
TB 1.5.0.7
Win XP HE

hi,
i have just successfully migrated an email account from pop3 to imap, in TB.
all is good.
since i am very inexperienced w/ imap, i had the following questions:

1. how can i *selectively* download a message to my local box? (only
THAT message) in a way that it will REMOVE it from imap server--and NOT
re-sycn it later and re-upload it back to server?

2. how can i mass download a group of emails (but not ALL emails) from
server to local box; in a way that they will NOT be sync'ed back to
server later on?

3. how do i set TB to only fetch an attachment if i want to open it?

4. if i decide to sync server and local box w/ some emails i had
previously downloaded and removed from server, how do i sync and
re-upload those back to server?

5. shared folders: i imagine that not all imap services or servers
allow sharing of folders, is that correct? or is it pretty standard and
is controlled by TB setting permissions, etc.?

6. address books: what r some recommendations as far as keeping an
address book on server? i see there r some options with LDAP (i dt even
know exactly what that is and how to use.) how does that work w/ TB and
what r benefits?

tx a million!

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 1, 2006, 1:20:08 PM10/1/06
stef wrote:
TB 1.5.0.7
Win XP HE

hi,
i have just successfully migrated an email account from pop3 to imap, in TB. all is good. since i am very inexperienced w/ imap, i had the following questions:

1. how can i *selectively* download a message to my local box? (only THAT message) in a way that it will REMOVE it from imap server--and NOT re-sycn it later and re-upload it back to server?
Don't think of your inbox as local. It's a copy of what's on the server. Let IMAP handle it. IMAP will download headers only when you check new mail. It will download the message if and when you select it. IMAP doesn't re-sync messages back to the server (it may sync status but not the message). IOW the IMAP server is the source - Use the source! You don't want to remove messages from the IMAP server! That's the whole point of IMAP - your messages are stored on the server not locally (copies are made locally for speed when you view them). If  you removed it from the IMAP server (say you access the IMAP server in two locations as I do and at the second location you delete a message) then when you go back to the first location that message will be inaccessible and when IMAP refreshes your folder the deleted message will disappear!

2. how can i mass download a group of emails (but not ALL emails) from server to local box; in a way that they will NOT be sync'ed back to server later on?
Again, things are not synced back to the IMAP server. The IMAP server is the source or store of your email. As you may know,  IMAP is not limited to only managing your inbox rather it can manage all your folders. I run an email server and use IMAP from my house. Therefore at work I have access to all my email folders from home.

As for downloading (a concept you really oughta let go) you can use the offline facility to accomplish this on a folder by folder basis. I don't think you can say "Only download portions of a folder" however.

If you really insist on getting local copies of email messages already managed for you on an IMAP server you can drag and drop them into folders under Local Folders. However, again, the concept of IMAP is that you can get your server stored messages from many different clients/locations.

3. how do i set TB to only fetch an attachment if i want to open it?
I believe it does that already. I may be wrong here. If you have say a message with an attached video file and select the message to view it may (or may not) download the attachment too under the assumption that you will want to access it soon.

4. if i decide to sync server and local box w/ some emails i had previously downloaded and removed from server, how do i sync and re-upload those back to server?
Again, you're thinking POP protocol not IMAP protocol. There is no syncing back to the server. If, for example, you have a message in your POP related inbox or in another folder stored locally, drag and drop it into your IMAP inbox (or other IMAP managed folder). This action will cause IMAP to copy that message to the IMAP managed folder (because the IMAP managed folder is the store for that folder).

5.  shared folders: i imagine that not all imap services or servers allow sharing of folders, is that correct? or is it pretty standard and is controlled by TB setting permissions, etc.?
Haven't played with shared folders...

6. address books: what r some recommendations as far as keeping an address book on server?  i see there r some options with LDAP (i dt even know exactly what that is and how to use.)  how does that work w/ TB and what r benefits?
AFAICT Mozilla based addressbooks are not managed by IMAP at all (though that's an interesting idea, one mentioned in the Calendar support groups regarding using IMAP to store not only addressbooks but calender data too).

LDAP or Light Directory Access Protocol, is a totally different thing. It is a directory server that you can store all kinds of things in but normally such things are indeed address type information. For example, did you know that Microsoft's Active Directory's underlying engine is indeed LDAP? As such you can (if you are given the appropriate LDAP parameters) configure a Directory addressbook to interrogate and look up people in most companies "Global Address Book" that people use from Outlook. You see the Outlook Global Address Book is really an LDAP Directory in TB terms. Warning it's sometimes difficult to get to the right person in IT to get the correct LDAP information but often, with a little tenacity and time, you can get through and get the parameters you need. I often do this at the clients that I work at (I have no LDAP directory for myself - isn't warranted unless you have many users) and soon have the same "look up email address" capability directly in TB that Outlook users have.

TB can also interface to any other LDAP directory such as Sun's, etc.
--
Andrew DeFaria
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

stef

Oct 1, 2006, 6:20:00 PM10/1/06
Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> [...]

> parameters) configure a Directory addressbook to interrogate and look up
> people in most companies "Global Address Book" that people use from
> Outlook. You see the Outlook Global Address Book is really an LDAP
> Directory in TB terms. Warning it's sometimes difficult to get to the
> right person in IT to get the correct LDAP information but often, with a
> little tenacity and time, you can get through and get the parameters you
> need. I often do this at the clients that I work at (I have no LDAP
> directory for myself - isn't warranted unless you have many users) and
> soon have the same "look up email address" capability directly in TB
> that Outlook users have.
>
> TB can also interface to any other LDAP directory such as Sun's, etc.
>
> --
>
> Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>

> Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

andrew, tx 4 the detailed reply. i appreciate it.
i do understand that IMAP will store the emails
and be the source.
there are just *some* emails that i do not want on the server for
business confidentiality reasons--i'm more comfortable if those emails
that have to do with confidential business projects are not the server.

Also, there is DEFINITELY sync'ing back to the server.
if i drag and drop a message from another email account into the "sent"
folder of my imap account in TB, it WILL upload it to the server, etc.

so as u have said, if i do NOT want that to happen--w/ messages i have
downloaded locally, i do have to remove them form the imap folders and
store them in a "local folder".

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 1, 2006, 7:18:44 PM10/1/06
stef wrote:
andrew, tx 4 the detailed reply.  i appreciate it.
i do understand that IMAP will store the emails
and be the source.
there are just *some* emails that i do not want on the server for
Just curious, is there a reason why you broke the lines up with carriage returns in that fashion.

business confidentiality reasons--i'm more comfortable if those emails that have to do with confidential business projects are not the server.
Right. Then drag such messages to Local Folders. Sounds like you don't trust your IMAP host....

Also, there is DEFINITELY sync'ing back to the server. if i drag and drop a message from another email account into the "sent" folder of my imap account in TB, it WILL upload it to the server, etc.
Of course, as expected. Because IMAP is the source. If you don't want that then don't drag and drop such business confidential messages over to any IMAP managed folder.

so as u have said, if i do NOT want that to happen--w/ messages i have downloaded locally,
If by "downloaded locally" you mean messages you dragged to a Local Folder and you don't want them up on your IMAP server then simply don't copy them there....

i do have to remove them form the imap folders and store them in a "local folder".
By dragging them to a Local Folder they are removed (well marked as deleted). After dragging them locally do a compact on the IMAP folder to re-write it.
--
Andrew DeFaria
Car service: If it ain't broke, we'll break it.

stef

Oct 1, 2006, 9:14:36 PM10/1/06
> Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>

> Car service: If it ain't broke, we'll break it.

didn't break the lines; TB did that on its own....
i think things are clearer now.
and i DO like IMAP over pop; i just have to get used to it.
it wd be even better if i cd run my own mail server so that i cd make
FULL use of imap, but that's probably a bit too techie or work intensive
at the moment....

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 1, 2006, 11:32:58 PM10/1/06
stef wrote:
didn't break the lines; TB did that on its own....
Interesting. Doesn't for me. Perhaps because I post in HTML. I always wonder what causes people's lines to break at such odd places. Are they typing return on purpose or is it something else...?

i think things are clearer now.
and i DO like IMAP over pop; i just have to get used to it.
Yes you do.

it wd be even better if i cd run my own mail server so that i cd make FULL use of imap, but that's probably a bit too techie or work intensive at the moment....
Well you "cd" run your own email server and IMAP. Hell I do. Saying that it's too techie is really saying that you choose not to put in the effort it would take to learn it.

BTW: See Plan for Improvement of English Spelling. Reading your post is like reading that!
--
Andrew DeFaria
The chance that you'll forget something is directly proportional to ... to ... uh ...

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Oct 2, 2006, 2:46:06 PM10/2/06
Your post are refreshingly eye on the eyes to read.

Yet your posting HTML. Which in the past has been a Cardinal Sin of groups such as these.

Are you in a Position of power at Mozilla? And others don't wish to rock your boat?

If I were to do so regularly I would be black Balled off the groups! :-)

Phillip M. Jones, CET   |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I, NESDA, ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street      |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112   |pjo...@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com

<http://www.vpea.org>

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 2, 2006, 5:23:23 PM10/2/06
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
Your post are refreshingly eye on the eyes to read.
I'm glad I was "refreshingly eye on the eyes to read"... Whatever that means....

Yet your posting HTML. Which in the past has been a Cardinal Sin of groups such as these.
Some people believe so. Then again some people believe in god. I don't let either groups of people tell me how to think. I'm a devout atheist if you hadn't guessed already (<- vague attempt at humor with devout and atheist in the same sentence...)

Are you in a Position of power at Mozilla?
Not at all...

And others don't wish to rock your boat?
They've tried. I don't budge. You see I don't allow people to bully me into their belief systems....

If I were to do so regularly I would be black Balled off the groups! :-)
Depends on what you mean by "balled off". Will they complain? Yes they will (rolling eyes). Have they given  up on me? I believe so. I guess most of the haters have sufficiently entered my id in their killfiles and life is wonderful again.

That said, you've opened up the semi-annual - well actually there's no set time period - to bring up the HTML vs. ASCII only posting debate. Let the jousters begin! I'll sit on the sidelines. You know where I stand and I'm tired of debating it...
--
Andrew DeFaria
Work: 214-549-0855

Nir

Oct 2, 2006, 5:35:06 PM10/2/06
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Your post are refreshingly eye on the eyes to read.
> I'm glad I was "refreshingly eye on the eyes to read"... Whatever that
> means....
>> Yet your posting HTML. Which in the past has been a Cardinal Sin of
>> groups such as these.
> Some people believe so. Then again some people believe in god. I don't
> let either groups of people tell me how to think.

There is an Etiquette for this newsgroup and according to that one
*shouldn't* post HTML message .
If you have enough time then you may look at this page :
>I'm a /devout/ atheist
> if you hadn't guessed already (<- vague attempt at humor with /devout/

Christopher Jahn

Oct 2, 2006, 6:00:50 PM10/2/06
"Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <pjo...@kimbanet.com> wrote in

> DO CTYPE html P UBLIC "-//W3 C//DT D HTML 4.01
> Transitional//EN"> <html>
> <head>
> http-equiv="Content-Type"> <title></title>
> </head>
> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> cite="midcMadnUbkDt73Fb...@mozilla.org"
> type="cite">
> http-equiv="Content-Type"> <title></title>
> stef wrote:<br>
> cite="mide4adnVksluZg-r...@mozilla.org"
> type="cite">didn't break the lines; TB did that on its
> own.... <br>

> Interesting. Doesn't for me. Perhaps because I post in HTML. I
> always wonder what causes people's lines to break at such odd
> places. Are they typing return on purpose or is it something

> else...?<br>
> cite="mide4adnVksluZg-r...@mozilla.org"
> type="cite">i think things are clearer now. <br>

> and i DO like IMAP over pop; i just have to get used to it.

> Yes you do.<br>
> cite="mide4adnVksluZg-r...@mozilla.org"
> type="cite">it wd be even better if i cd run my own mail

> server so
> that i cd make FULL use of imap, but that's probably a bit too

> techie or work intensive at the moment.... <br>

> Well you "cd" run your own email server and IMAP. Hell I do.
> Saying that it's too techie is really saying that you choose

> not to put in the effort it would take to learn it.<br>
> BTW: See <a
> href="https://defaria.com/Jokes/Plan4ImprovementOfEnglishSpell
> ing.php">Plan
> for Improvement of English Spelling</a>. Reading your post is
> like reading that!<br>
> <pre>-- </pre>
> <small><font color="#999999">The chance that you'll forget
> something
> is
> directly proportional to ... to ... uh ...</font></small>
> Your post are refreshingly eye on the eyes to read.<br>

> Yet your posting HTML. Which in the past has been a Cardinal

> Sin of groups such as these.<br>

> Are you in a Position of power at Mozilla? And others don't

> wish to rock your boat?<br>

> If I were to do so regularly I would be black Balled off the

> groups! :-)<br> <br>
> <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
> --------- Phillip M. Jones, CET |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I,

> NESDA, ISCET, Sterling 616 Liberty Street |Who's Who.
> PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868 Martinsville Va 24112

> |<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
> href="mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com">pjo...@kimbanet.com</a>,
> ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet
> ---------

> If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!
>

> <a c lass="moz-txt-link-freetext"
> href="mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com">mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com</a
> >

> <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
> href="http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/default.htm">&lt;http://w
> ww.kimbanet.com/~pjones/default.htm&gt;</a> <a
> [...]

I don't find this at all "refreshing to the eye."

--
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

Believe nothing, dare all.

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 2, 2006, 6:28:28 PM10/2/06
Nir wrote:
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
Your post are refreshingly eye on the eyes to read.
I'm glad I was "refreshingly eye on the eyes to read"... Whatever that means....
Yet your posting HTML. Which in the past has been a Cardinal Sin of groups such as these.
Some people believe so. Then again some people believe in god. I don't let either groups of people tell me how to think.
There is an Etiquette for this newsgroup and according to that one *shouldn't* post HTML message .
I know (rolling eyes). So what! People say lots of things.

If you have enough time then you may look at this page : http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
No thank you. I'm really not interested in what some other person thinks I should do. I've heard it all before. Would you like me to constantly tell you what I think you should do?!? I would think you'd get quite tired of it, as am I. I promise to shut up about what I think you should do if you likewise promise to stop telling me what I should do.
If it's a hobby to us and a job to you, why are you doing such a shoddy job? - Linus Torvalds to Microsoft

Nir

Oct 2, 2006, 7:00:43 PM10/2/06
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Nir wrote:
>> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>> I'm glad I was "refreshingly eye on the eyes to read"... Whatever
>>> that means....
>>> Some people believe so. Then again some people believe in god. I
>>> don't let either groups of people tell me how to think.
>> There is an Etiquette for this newsgroup and according to that one
>> *shouldn't* post HTML message .
> I know (rolling eyes). So what! People say lots of things.
>> If you have enough time then you may look at this page :
>> http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
> No thank you. I'm really not interested in what some other person thinks
> I should do. I've heard it all before. Would you like me to constantly
> tell you what I think *you* should do?!? I would think you'd get quite
> tired of it, as am I. I promise to shut up about what I think you should
> do if you likewise promise to stop telling me what I should do.

It's not me or you who has set up those Etiquette, it's Mozilla
authority who has set up some general rules for *all*. So it doesn't
matter what we both think .

'Would you like me to constantly tell you what I think *you* should do'
- you know, you may try , but don't expect any good result.

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 3, 2006, 12:15:28 PM10/3/06
Nir wrote:
No thank you. I'm really not interested in what some other person thinks I should do. I've heard it all before. Would you like me to constantly tell you what I think *you* should do?!? I would think you'd get quite tired of it, as am I. I promise to shut up about what I think you should do if you likewise promise to stop telling me what I should do. \
It's not me or you who has set up those Etiquette, it's Mozilla authority who has set up some general rules for *all*. So it doesn't matter what we both think .
So what! The point is that they are nothing more than somebody else's opinion - no more, no less.

'Would you like me to constantly tell you what I think *you* should do' - you know, you may try , but don't expect any good result.
Great! Then you fully understand exactly how I feel about the matter! And I see you're fully understanding that "you" may also try to tell me what to do and that you should also not expect any good result! There. I'm glad that's all cleared up now....
Windows: Just another pane in the glass.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Oct 3, 2006, 1:18:28 PM10/3/06
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Your post are refreshingly eye on the eyes to read.
> I'm glad I was "refreshingly eye on the eyes to read"... Whatever that
> means....

Actually I meant its much "easier" on the eye!.
Sorry hands got faster than the brain :-)

>> Yet your posting HTML. Which in the past has been a Cardinal Sin of
>> groups such as these.
> Some people believe so. Then again some people believe in god. I don't

> let either groups of people tell me how to think. I'm a /devout/ atheist
> if you hadn't guessed already (<- vague attempt at humor with /devout/

> and atheist in the same sentence...)
>> Are you in a Position of power at Mozilla?
> Not at all...
>> And others don't wish to rock your boat?
> They've tried. I don't budge. You see I don't allow people to bully me
> into their belief systems....
>> If I were to do so regularly I would be black Balled off the groups! :-)
> Depends on what you mean by "balled off". Will they complain? Yes they
> will (rolling eyes). Have they given up on me? I believe so. I guess
> most of the haters have sufficiently entered my id in their killfiles
> and life is wonderful again.
>
> That said, you've opened up the semi-annual - well actually there's no
> set time period - to bring up the HTML vs. ASCII only posting debate.
> Let the jousters begin! I'll sit on the sidelines. You know where I
> stand and I'm tired of debating it...
>
> --
>

> Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>

> Work: 214-549-0855
> Cell: 214-289-1959
> Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Oct 3, 2006, 1:27:02 PM10/3/06

Your obviously not using TB or SM to read your post.

When I sent my post I told SM to send HTML only.

And if you had your newsreader set up right you would have seen very
nice sharp text that was easy on the eyes to read and used the thin blue
line to indicate different threads, which take up far, far, far less
room than etheir the > and two spaces, or the very thick dark grey solid
lines (Format flowed?) thake up. To me people that use Readers that
can't deal with html are living in the stone age.

They have this mindset That it was approved in 1985 by a bunch of folks
sitting around a Table, that its gospel and you can't change or should
be allowed to change.

If I thought like that I would still be riding around in my Grandma's 54
Chevrolet with straight gear.

Martinsville Va 24112 |pjo...@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 3, 2006, 2:10:18 PM10/3/06
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
Your post are refreshingly eye on the eyes to read.
I'm glad I was "refreshingly eye on the eyes to read"... Whatever that means....
Actually I meant its much "easier" on the eye!. Sorry hands got faster than the brain :-)
There's a thing called "proofreading it before clicking send". Look into it. I do it all the time (sometimes better than others). Helps save oneself from such embarrassments...
...Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 3, 2006, 2:14:01 PM10/3/06
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
Your obviously not using TB or SM to read your post.
Imagine that - A Mozilla/TB/FF guy who doesn't use the product! Tsck, tsck....

When I sent my post I told SM to send HTML only.

And if you had your newsreader set up right you would have seen very nice sharp text that was easy on the eyes to read and used the thin blue line to indicate different threads, which take up far, far, far less room than etheir the > and two spaces, or the very thick dark grey solid lines (Format flowed?) thake up. To me people that use Readers that can't deal with html are living in the stone age.
I agree. Some people are stuck with old ways. Hey I don't mind that. It's the "...and I'm gonna insist that everybody does it my way" mentality that gets me. By and large I've found that such people just like to bitch so I ignore them.

They have this mindset That it was approved in 1985 by a bunch of folks sitting around a Table, that its gospel and you can't change or should be allowed to change.
Exactly. Do as I do - ignore them.

If I thought like that I would still be riding around in my Grandma's 54 Chevrolet with straight gear.
Change is difficult for lots of people - but not all people...
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Oct 3, 2006, 3:23:42 PM10/3/06
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>> I'm glad I was "refreshingly eye on the eyes to read"... Whatever
>>> that means....
>> Actually I meant its much "easier" on the eye!. Sorry hands got faster
>> than the brain :-)
> There's a thing called "proofreading it before clicking send". Look into
> it. I do it all the time (sometimes better than others). Helps save
> oneself from such embarrassments...
>
> --
>
> Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>

> Work: 214-549-0855
> Cell: 214-289-1959
> ...Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
I've done got past the embarrassment stage :-) <blush>

I do proofread and for some strange reason when I do it appear to read
as I intended it. :-(

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 3, 2006, 5:15:26 PM10/3/06
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
I've done got past the embarrassment stage :-) <blush>

I do proofread and for some strange reason when I do it appear to read as I intended it. :-(
Ah that's good to hear and I totally understand reading what you want to hear, not what you typed...
All I ask is that you treat me no differently than you would the King.

squaredancer

Oct 3, 2006, 5:51:04 PM10/3/06
On 03.10.2006 18:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Andrew DeFaria
to generate the following:? :

> Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>

> Work: 214-549-0855
> Cell: 214-289-1959
> Windows: Just another pane in the glass.

*lol* Andrew - some guys never learn, eh!

reg

ps for Phillip and Nir...

I think *ALL* of the Champs have - at some time or more (than other) -
tried to convert Andrew... most arguments got long, most got tedious....
but some *were* good for a laugh!
And, of course... feel free to "skip" to the end of the post...

stef

Oct 3, 2006, 6:16:16 PM10/3/06
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> Well you "cd" run your own email server and IMAP. Hell I do. Saying that
> it's too techie is really saying that you choose not to put in the
> effort it would take to learn it.

andrew, cool off a little here. i'm only looking 4 advice, not a moral
lesson, etc.

getting back to the subject at hand, i am not employed in the IT
industry and have limited time to devote to it; certainly far less than
i wd like. my priority is my own lime of work--which believe me, is
demanding enough.

getting back to running own mail server, i am open to links, technical
pointers, etc; that wd get me started gradually along that route.

John McWilliams

Oct 3, 2006, 6:39:57 PM10/3/06
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Change is difficult for lots of people - but not all people...

Where do you stand on the above?

Late to this little party, but from your posts I see no breaks between
quotes, which makes it unpleasant, or difficult, reading.

It'd be a good thing to change that, if it wouldn't be too difficult.

--
John McWilliams

Please BE SURE to capitalize IMPORTANT WORDS in case you think your
audience is NOT very bright, or you have a limited vocabulary.

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 3, 2006, 6:59:12 PM10/3/06
squaredancer wrote:
*lol* Andrew - some guys never learn, eh!
I never give up hope! ;-)
I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years of bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 3, 2006, 7:03:31 PM10/3/06
stef wrote:
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
Well you "cd" run your own email server and IMAP. Hell I do. Saying that
it's too techie is really saying that you choose not to put in the effort it would take to learn it.

andrew, cool off a little here. i'm only looking 4 advice, not a moral lesson, etc.
Great! 'Cause I wasn't offering a moral lesson. Philosophical perhaps but not moral...

getting back to the subject at hand, i am not employed in the IT industry and have limited time to devote to it; certainly far less than i wd like. my priority is my own lime of work--which believe me, is demanding enough.
That's fine and I understand fully. However the way I see it you chose not to dedicate the time and learn it. Again, hey that's great - do with your life what you love the most. But there are people who are not auto mechanics who like to tinker with project cars, for example. It's their thing. It's not your thing. I understand.

getting back to running own mail server, i am open to links, technical pointers, etc; that wd get me started gradually along that route.
You've already indicated that this is not your thing. It's not an easy thing. Perhaps it would be best for you not to get into it.
Do hungry crows have ravenous appetites?

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 3, 2006, 7:04:53 PM10/3/06
John McWilliams wrote:
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
Change is difficult for lots of people - but not all people...
Where do you stand on the above?
I think I adapt pretty well to change, specially if I see that it benefits me.

Late to this little party, but from your posts I see no breaks between quotes, which makes it unpleasant, or difficult, reading.

It'd be a good thing to change that, if it wouldn't be too difficult.
Yes I wish they would. ;-)
Friction can be a real drag.

stef

Oct 3, 2006, 7:16:56 PM10/3/06
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> stef wrote:
> Great! 'Cause I wasn't offering a moral lesson. Philosophical perhaps
> but not moral...
> That's fine and I understand fully. However the way I see it you chose
> not to dedicate the time and learn it. Again, hey that's great - do with
> your life what you love the most. But there are people who are not auto
> mechanics who like to tinker with project cars, for example. It's their
> thing. It's not your thing. I understand.
> You've already indicated that this is not your thing. It's not an easy
> thing. Perhaps it would be best for you not to get into it.

what a joke u r andrew....
all this preaching and that's all u can come up with as a reply to my
question?
u do definitely have a major attitude and it wd best u take it to other
threads.
good luck to u....

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 3, 2006, 7:30:43 PM10/3/06
Actually I didn't have an attitude but since you are assuming I did, as I always say, "If you're gonna do the time you might as well do the crime!" to wit, some attitude for you....

Regardless of your misinterpretation of my words as "preaching" and "moralizing" I am doing neither. Perhaps you should read what I wrote and think a little bit (may be asking for too much but I can hope....). At least I can write proper English. And u r just gittn used 2 ur keybd i c! With your awesome keyboarding and writing skills I can only assume your comprehension is similar...

You know... I'd explain it to you but 1) you're not paying me and 2) you're head would probably explode! and 3) you've already admitted that you're not really into this. Soooo type "email server <your platform>" into Google and do some research of your own Mr. Hotshot. Surely for a man of your superior intellect this should be a piece of cake!

Good luck. :-P
"Criminal Lawyer" is a redundancy.

stef

Oct 3, 2006, 8:03:31 PM10/3/06
> Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>

> Work: 214-549-0855
> Cell: 214-289-1959
> "Criminal Lawyer" is a redundancy.

Andrew, that is exactly what i was saying--u DO have a major attitude;
and u r preaching, kid yourself not.
fortunately, there are plenty of helpful people in this newsgroup....
good luck to u......

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 3, 2006, 9:01:59 PM10/3/06
Correction! I was preaching that time and with an attitude - because you asked for it!

Good luck with that keyboard there buddy. You know I've seen this Video Professor dude on late night TV one say. Perhaps he has a CD on keyboards... ;-)
--
Andrew DeFaria
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Chris Jahn

Oct 3, 2006, 9:56:49 PM10/3/06

> Your obviously not using TB or SM to read your post.

Obviously. I do not feel either is an adequate newsreader for my
needs. Since Usenet is a TEXT medium, my newsreader isn't
bloated to support useless HTML bloat. This means I can nimbly
download and read posts, while you're waiting for your kludgy
reader to download messages bloated three times their size just
so you can make your posts "pretty."

Only a**h***s post HTML in a group where they have been told,
many many many times, not to. And can easily identify an a**h**e
by counting the lines in the sig. More than 4 = a**h**e.

Why, Phillip, 16 lines! Well, I guess that makes you 4 times
the...well, we know what you are.

--
Netscape FAQs: http://www.ufaq.org/
Netscape 6/7 Tips: http://www.holgermetzger.de/net6e.html

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 3, 2006, 11:19:08 PM10/3/06
Chris Jahn wrote:
> "Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <pjo...@kimbanet.com> wrote in
>> Your obviously not using TB or SM to read your post.
> Obviously. I do not feel either is an adequate newsreader for my
> needs. Since Usenet is a TEXT medium, my newsreader isn't bloated to
> support useless HTML bloat. This means I can nimbly download and read
> posts, while you're waiting for your kludgy reader to download
> messages bloated three times their size just so you can make your
> posts "pretty."
See Phil! I told you! Some of these people don't even use what they
support. Sorta like trusting a skinny cook!

Sorry Chris that you're having problems with sophisticated software and
that it's slow for you to use. Mine's quick!

> Only a**h***s post HTML in a group where they have been told, many
> many many times, not to.

Awe you can say asshole. It's not like anybody here's never heard that
word before... I just love pissing you off. It's so easy! Unfortunately
I don't get as relied up when I cannot force my ways down other people's
keyboards. Less ulcers ya know...

> And can easily identify an a**h**e by counting the lines in the sig.
> More than 4 = a**h**e.

Gee I have two. Guess I'm not the a**h**e you alluded too. Nevermind! ;-)

> Why, Phillip, 16 lines! Well, I guess that makes you 4 times
> the...well, we know what you are.

No Chris tell us what you really think. Such anger. Hope you're getting
help with that bud! There are much more important things to argue about
than a few extra bytes on the net...

--

Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

»Q«

Oct 3, 2006, 11:51:05 PM10/3/06
"Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <pjo...@kimbanet.com> wrote in

> When I sent my post I told SM to send HTML only.

For one-to-many communications such as netnews, that's a very bad idea.
The goal should be interoperability. Sending posts that only work with
Thunderbird or OE is a lot like writing webpages which only work with
one browser or another instead of using standards.

With e-mail, the argument isn't quite as strong; as long as you know
the person on the other end is using a client with an html engine and
that he doesn't mind getting html, I don't see a problem with it.

--
»Q«

Mumia W. (using mozilla)

Oct 3, 2006, 11:48:44 PM10/3/06
On 10/03/2006 08:56 PM, Chris Jahn wrote:
> "Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <pjo...@kimbanet.com> wrote in
>
>> Your obviously not using TB or SM to read your post.
>
> Obviously. I do not feel either is an adequate newsreader for my
> needs. [...]

Obviously, people don't want to properly flag off-topic threads as such.
/Please/ everyone, use "[OT]" in the subject line to flag off-topic
messages. The subject of this message should read like this:

Re: Slightly [OT] was: Re: IMAP questions

--
paduille.4...@earthlink.net

John McWilliams

Oct 4, 2006, 12:30:51 AM10/4/06
Actually, the designation should be first, as in new Subject Line.

--
John McWilliams

squaredancer

Oct 4, 2006, 6:48:45 AM10/4/06
On 04.10.2006 05:19, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Andrew DeFaria
to generate the following:? :

>Chris Jahn wrote:

>>"Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <pjo...@kimbanet.com> wrote in
>>

>>>Your obviously not using TB or SM to read your post.
>>>

>>Obviously. I do not feel either is an adequate newsreader for my
>>needs. Since Usenet is a TEXT medium, my newsreader isn't bloated to
>>support useless HTML bloat. This means I can nimbly download and read
>>posts, while you're waiting for your kludgy reader to download
>>messages bloated three times their size just so you can make your
>>posts "pretty."
>>

><< SNIP >>

>>And can easily identify an a**h**e by counting the lines in the sig.
>>More than 4 = a**h**e.
>>

>Gee I have two. Guess I'm not the a**h**e you alluded too. Nevermind! ;-)

reckon, Andrew, that would make you (mathematically) ½ an asshole and me
- you know that I think assholes are indispensable - absolutely useless!

<< snipped >>

reg

squaredancer

Oct 4, 2006, 6:53:09 AM10/4/06
On 04.10.2006 05:51, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused »Q« to
generate the following:? :

>"Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <pjo...@kimbanet.com> wrote in

well, Q, this is after all a *Thunderbird Support* group so it may well
be reasonable to expect helpers to at least use that medium (if only to
test the problems described) whilst on this group... what they then
revert to when on Usenet (wherever that is ??? ) is not cause for
discussion here!

reg

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 4, 2006, 8:30:12 AM10/4/06
squaredancer wrote:
Gee I have two. Guess I'm not the a**h**e you alluded too. Nevermind! ;-)
reckon, Andrew, that would make you (mathematically) ½ an asshole
If that were true then Chris would be a full asshole by his own definition! :-)
--
Andrew DeFaria
<-------- The information went data way -------->

»Q«

Oct 4, 2006, 12:30:17 PM10/4/06
squaredancer <square...@t-online.de> wrote in

> well, Q, this is after all a *Thunderbird Support* group so it may
> well be reasonable to expect helpers to at least use that medium
> (if only to test the problems described) whilst on this group...

That's not a reasonable expectation of all helpers, let alone all the
people reading here who may never even post. Deliberately making ones
messages unreadable by some users is a bad idea.

--
»Q«

Ron K.

Oct 4, 2006, 2:05:38 PM10/4/06
T-bird Leader »Q« radioed the tower On 10/4/2006 12:30 PM:

I have been living with the sig block of the poster that triggered this
long thread for years over on the netscape server. I do not impose my
professional sig block on personal interest groups and feel others can
show a similar courtesy. Be glad the poster is not using OE RTF. :-)

--
Ron K.
Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Oct 4, 2006, 2:37:04 PM10/4/06
That was on the specific post(s) sent in HTML.

Actually I have all the Mozilla groups I read except test.multimedia set
to plain text only.

The way you set a specific post to post in the opposite format is to
hold down either shift key or control key while clicking new or reply.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Oct 4, 2006, 2:47:55 PM10/4/06

Had you been using something capable of rendering HTML you would have
seen a nice neat, clean post using a pale blue background and a darker
color font using an easily read font. I use to use PPP and now have DSL
HTML messages that only had colored backgrounds and Black text even on a
28K modem (yes I used one). only took about 1/2 second longer to load
than a plain text one and viewing the size was only about 500 bytes to 1
k larger than the plain text version.

I am not talking about post where graphics and music, or flash content.

And I live in a community that so far back in the sticks they
occasionally have to pipe sunshine in. heck we can even get cable
internet for less than $50.00 a month here.

»Q«

Oct 4, 2006, 3:16:34 PM10/4/06

> »Q« wrote:
>> squaredancer <square...@t-online.de> wrote in
>>
>>> well, Q, this is after all a *Thunderbird Support* group so it
>>> may well be reasonable to expect helpers to at least use that
>>> medium (if only to test the problems described) whilst on this
>>> group...
>>
>> That's not a reasonable expectation of all helpers, let alone all
>> the people reading here who may never even post. Deliberately
>> making ones messages unreadable by some users is a bad idea.
>
> Had you been using something capable of rendering HTML you would
> have seen a nice neat, clean post using a pale blue background and
> a darker color font using an easily read font.

Switching newsreaders so that you can choose colors for me isn't
something I'm interested in. If you send multipart messages, with
text/plain and text/html parts, at least they should be readable by
everyone. (Note that I don't recommend this, but it's better than
sending only text/html.)

--
»Q«

Christopher Jahn

Oct 4, 2006, 7:12:51 PM10/4/06
"Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <pjo...@kimbanet.com> wrote in

> Had you been using something capable of rendering HTML you
> would have seen a nice neat, clean post using a pale blue
> background and a darker color font using an easily read font.

I can read plaintext just fine. I don't need your worthless
bloat or your ideas of what is readable.

And it's hard to take you seriously when your sig block is
usually longer than the original content of your posts.

--
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

When you're a god, you don't have to have reasons.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Oct 4, 2006, 8:29:21 PM10/4/06
Christopher Jahn wrote:
> "Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <pjo...@kimbanet.com> wrote in
>
>> Had you been using something capable of rendering HTML you
>> would have seen a nice neat, clean post using a pale blue
>> background and a darker color font using an easily read font.
>
> I can read plaintext just fine. I don't need your worthless
> bloat or your ideas of what is readable.
>
> And it's hard to take you seriously when your sig block is
> usually longer than the original content of your posts.

Well I've been using it for years. and for years There hasn't been a way
to customize according to mailboxes and newsgroup my signature file in
Mozilla Products. I've been using Mozilla products since Netscape
Navigator 3.0.1.a Gold.

Ron K.

Oct 4, 2006, 8:38:06 PM10/4/06
T-bird Leader Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T radioed the tower On 10/4/2006 8:29 PM:

> Christopher Jahn wrote:
>> "Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <pjo...@kimbanet.com> wrote in

> Well I've been using it for years. and for years There hasn't been a way
> to customize according to mailboxes and newsgroup my signature file in
> Mozilla Products. I've been using Mozilla products since Netscape
> Navigator 3.0.1.a Gold.

Phil, It sounds like you have not investigated the account settings
feature of Tbird in depth. It is in the Account settings for each server
a place to enter the URI of a sig file for use with that server. This,
with out resorting to use of a sig selector extension which I also use.

--
Ron K.
Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting.

--
Ron K.
Lighting Designer
Light Works

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Oct 5, 2006, 6:19:04 PM10/5/06
Ron K. wrote:
> T-bird Leader Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T radioed the tower On 10/4/2006
> 8:29 PM:
>
>> Christopher Jahn wrote:
>>> "Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <pjo...@kimbanet.com> wrote in
>

>> Well I've been using it for years. and for years There hasn't been a
>> way to customize according to mailboxes and newsgroup my signature
>> file in Mozilla Products. I've been using Mozilla products since
>> Netscape Navigator 3.0.1.a Gold.
>>

> Phil, It sounds like you have not investigated the account settings
> feature of Tbird in depth. It is in the Account settings for each
> server a place to enter the URI of a sig file for use with that server.
> This, with out resorting to use of a sig selector extension which I also
> use.

This better?

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com

Christopher Jahn

Oct 5, 2006, 9:37:58 PM10/5/06

> Ron K. wrote:
>
>> Phil, It sounds like you have not investigated the account
>> settings feature of Tbird in depth. It is in the Account
>> settings for each server a place to enter the URI of a sig
>> file for use with that server. This, with out resorting to
>> use of a sig selector extension which I also use.
>>
> This better?

Ever so.

--
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

An apple every eight hours will keep three doctors away.

»Q«

Oct 5, 2006, 10:11:41 PM10/5/06
"Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <pjo...@kimbanet.com> wrote in

> Ron K. wrote:
>> T-bird Leader Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T radioed the tower On
>> 10/4/2006 8:29 PM:
>>

>>> Well I've been using it for years. and for years There hasn't
>>> been a way to customize according to mailboxes and newsgroup my
>>> signature file in Mozilla Products. I've been using Mozilla
>>> products since Netscape Navigator 3.0.1.a Gold.
>>>

>> Phil, It sounds like you have not investigated the account
>> settings feature of Tbird in depth. It is in the Account
>> settings for each server a place to enter the URI of a sig file
>> for use with that server. This, with out resorting to use of a
>> sig selector extension which I also use.
>
> This better?

Thanks very much. :)

--
»Q«