Dictionary Switcher broken

Herb

Oct 30, 2012, 5:49:10 AM10/30/12
After a recent update, unfortunately I can no longer switch to the
German dictionary :-(

See "Dictionary update did break Dictionary Switcher" comment at
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/dictionary-switcher/>,
although I have a feeling it was update of the Dictionary Switcher
extension (and/or the update to TB 16.0.2) that broke things, rather
than a dictionary update.

Any comments/suggestions?

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Herb

Oct 30, 2012, 6:07:32 AM10/30/12
Actually, changing the spelling language via the Spelling menu still
works. What appears to be broken is the status bar entry/option. All it
says now is SpellChecker, without giving the option to change the language.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

rebro

Oct 30, 2012, 7:17:12 AM10/30/12
The same here under TB 16.0.1 - only "German oldspell" was still visible
in Dictionary Switcher. After updating to TB 16.0.2 and reinstalling the
German dictionary (newspell) everything seemed back to normal in
Dictionary Switcher yesterday. But after opening TB this morning it has
vanished again.
-rebro

Peter Taylor

Oct 30, 2012, 7:25:53 AM10/30/12
Hmmm, I updated and the Dictionary switcher works just fine but I don't
have German; I have Spanish and English.

--
Peter Taylor

rebro

Oct 30, 2012, 7:34:14 AM10/30/12
Am 30.10.2012 11:07, schrieb Herb:
> On 30.10.2012 09:49 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>> After a recent update, unfortunately I can no longer switch to the
>> German dictionary :-(
>>
>> See "Dictionary update did break Dictionary Switcher" comment at
>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/dictionary-switcher/>,
>> although I have a feeling it was update of the Dictionary Switcher
>> extension (and/or the update to TB 16.0.2) that broke things, rather
>> than a dictionary update.
>>
>> Any comments/suggestions?
>>

> Actually, changing the spelling language via the Spelling menu still
> works.

The same here.

What appears to be broken is the status bar entry/option. All it
> says now is SpellChecker, without giving the option to change the language.

That's slightly different here: As long as the spelling language is set
to German/Germany in the Spelling menu it also appears in the status bar
entry besides my other options. But when I switch to some other language
there, the spelling menu changes accordingly and de-DE disappears from
the status bar menu while all the other dictionary-options remain
unaffected.

-rebro

Herb

Oct 30, 2012, 7:35:42 AM10/30/12
Thanks for your feedback.

Does it indeed work for you via the status bar (as opposed to the
Spelling menu, which still works for me)?

Which version of the Dictionary Switcher add-on do you have installed?

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Herb

Oct 30, 2012, 9:08:17 AM10/30/12
Thanks for your feedback. What you are seeing is indeed slighlty
different for some reason.

Anyway, what I have been looking for for years (without success, IIRC)
is a keyboard shortcut for chamging the dictionary. If there was one I
wouldn't really need the Dictionary Switcher add-on.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Peter Taylor

Oct 30, 2012, 9:53:51 AM10/30/12
On 10/30/2012 12:35 PM, Herb wrote:
> On 30.10.2012 11:25 UK Time, Peter Taylor wrote:
>> On 10/30/2012 10:49 AM, Herb wrote:
>>> After a recent update, unfortunately I can no longer switch to the
>>> German dictionary :-(
>>>
>>> See "Dictionary update did break Dictionary Switcher" comment at
>>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/dictionary-switcher/>,
>>> although I have a feeling it was update of the Dictionary Switcher
>>> extension (and/or the update to TB 16.0.2) that broke things, rather
>>> than a dictionary update.
>>>
>>> Any comments/suggestions?
>>>

>> Hmmm, I updated and the Dictionary switcher works just fine but I don't
>> have German; I have Spanish and English.
>>

> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Does it indeed work for you via the status bar (as opposed to the
> Spelling menu, which still works for me)?

Not sure what you mean. The check mark with a drop down menu next to the
Send icon works. I don't know where the other way is. Under
Options/Check Spelling, changing the language works there as well.

> Which version of the Dictionary Switcher add-on do you have installed?

1.1.5

--
Peter Taylor

Herb

Oct 30, 2012, 10:26:07 AM10/30/12
Thanks for your further reply.

Dictionary Switcher is supposed to show the current dictionary in the
status bar (bottom right) of the compose window and let you switch with
a single click (instead of the 2 clicks required via the Spelling menu)
- see screenshot at
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/dictionary-switcher-for-thunde/>.

>> Which version of the Dictionary Switcher add-on do you have installed?
>>

> 1.1.5

That's what I had until earlier today, but see note under "About this
Add-on" at
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/dictionary-switcher-for-thunde/>

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

rebro

Oct 30, 2012, 10:26:26 AM10/30/12
Am 30.10.2012 14:08, schrieb Herb:
> On 30.10.2012 11:34 UK Time, rebro wrote:

>>> Actually, changing the spelling language via the Spelling menu still
>>> works.
>>
>> The same here.
>>
>>> What appears to be broken is the status bar entry/option. All it
>>> says now is SpellChecker, without giving the option to change the
>>> language.
>>
>> That's slightly different here: As long as the spelling language is set
>> to German/Germany in the Spelling menu it also appears in the status bar
>> entry besides my other options. But when I switch to some other language
>> there, the spelling menu changes accordingly and de-DE disappears from
>> the status bar menu while all the other dictionary-options remain
>> unaffected.
>>>

> Thanks for your feedback. What you are seeing is indeed slighlty
> different for some reason.
>
> Anyway, what I have been looking for for years (without success, IIRC)
> is a keyboard shortcut for chamging the dictionary. If there was one I
> wouldn't really need the Dictionary Switcher add-on.

I frequently like to change between three different dictionaries and in
this regard the status bar switch seems to be more convenient than a
keyboard shortcut.

I've just noticed that the German/Germany dictionary now appears in the
new category 'Dictionaries' in Add-on Manager while my other
dictionaries are still in the 'Extensions' list. Maybe this points to
what could have broken things.
-rebro

Herb

Oct 30, 2012, 10:28:57 AM10/30/12
Thanks for your further reply.

Since I realised that I can still switch dictionaries via the Spelling
menu I'm less worried about the lack of status bar functionality.
Hopefully the add-on developers will sort it out in due course.

I would still be interested in a keyboard shortcut though.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

rebro

Oct 30, 2012, 10:29:29 AM10/30/12
the most recent version is 1.3.2

Herb

Oct 30, 2012, 10:59:02 AM10/30/12
Yes, but I think it is in fact a different add-on - see note under
"About this Add-on" at
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/dictionary-switcher-for-thunde/>,
which I dare say adds to the confusion.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Peter Taylor

Oct 30, 2012, 1:00:48 PM10/30/12
I have that but didn't notice it until you just pointed it out. It works
fine.

>>> Which version of the Dictionary Switcher add-on do you have installed?
>>>

>> 1.1.5
>>

> That's what I had until earlier today, but see note under "About this
> Add-on" at
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/dictionary-switcher-for-thunde/>

I don't think I have the one it merged with. How can I check?

--
Peter Taylor

Peter Taylor

Oct 30, 2012, 1:01:22 PM10/30/12
From what I can see, that isn't a version I want.

--
Peter Taylor

rebro

Oct 30, 2012, 1:24:23 PM10/30/12
I've just tested both extensions/versions in two different profiles and
the results are equally disappointing: so it obviously doesn't make any
difference. On the basis of these profiles the Dictionary Switcher(s)
didn't even show in the status bar.
-rebro

Peter Taylor

Oct 30, 2012, 1:47:05 PM10/30/12
I'm still not willing to experiment. Why fix something that ain't broke?

--
Peter Taylor

rebro

Oct 30, 2012, 2:26:06 PM10/30/12
And right you are!
"Now merged with Dictionary Switcher v1.3 for Firefox/SeaMonkey"
obviously means that 1.3.x is the only further development of both
add-ons. Be it as it is, there isn't any difference between 1.1.5 and
1.3.2 as far as 'our' problem is concerned.
The interaction between the (some?) dictionaries and Dictionary Switcher
is completely messed up.
The fact that the British English Dictionary 1.19.1 has been updated to
version 1.19.3 and simultaneously been transferred to the new
'Dictionaries' category like the German Dictionary 2.0.3 will most
certainly contribute to this mess.
Meanwhile I am highly surprised that my default TB still displays the
Dictionary Switcher (and the dictionaries from the 'Extensions' list) in
the status bar. For when I tested the whole issue in two different
profiles the Profile Switcher didn't even show there: worse than what
you initially described.
-rebro

rebro

Oct 30, 2012, 2:38:35 PM10/30/12
Of course not! I appreciate your point.
But there is no denying the fact that there is a bug in both versions in
their interaction with recent updates.
-rebro

Peter Taylor

Oct 30, 2012, 3:15:27 PM10/30/12
So, I will wait until they get it sorted out. Is there any other
language other than German that's causing problems?

--
Peter Taylor

Herb

Oct 30, 2012, 3:18:24 PM10/30/12
On 30.10.2012 18:26 UK Time, rebro wrote:

>>> the most recent version is 1.3.2
>>
>> Yes, but I think it is in fact a different add-on - see note under
>> "About this Add-on" at
>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/dictionary-switcher-for-thunde/>,
>>
>> which I dare say adds to the confusion.
>>

> And right you are!
> "Now merged with Dictionary Switcher v1.3 for Firefox/SeaMonkey"
> obviously means that 1.3.x is the only further development of both
> add-ons. Be it as it is, there isn't any difference between 1.1.5 and
> 1.3.2 as far as 'our' problem is concerned.
> The interaction between the (some?) dictionaries and Dictionary Switcher
> is completely messed up.
> The fact that the British English Dictionary 1.19.1 has been updated to
> version 1.19.3 and simultaneously been transferred to the new
> 'Dictionaries' category like the German Dictionary 2.0.3 will most
> certainly contribute to this mess.
> Meanwhile I am highly surprised that my default TB still displays the
> Dictionary Switcher (and the dictionaries from the 'Extensions' list) in
> the status bar.

FWIW, this is what I see in my Write window status bar now:
<https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15973585/SpellChecker.png>.

When I put the cursor over the word SpellChecker the black underline
appears, suggesting it is active in some way, but when I click on it,
nothing happens.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Herb

Oct 30, 2012, 3:20:11 PM10/30/12
Indeed, but I already tried reverting back to 1.1.5, without success, so
there is something else going on.

Have you actually upgraded to TB 16.0.2, and do you see a new
Dictionaries category in your Add-ons Manager?

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

rebro

Oct 30, 2012, 4:13:57 PM10/30/12
Am 30.10.2012 20:15, schrieb Peter Taylor:
> On 10/30/2012 7:38 PM, rebro wrote:

>>> I'm still not willing to experiment. Why fix something that ain't broke?
>>>
>> Of course not! I appreciate your point.
>> But there is no denying the fact that there is a bug in both versions in
>> their interaction with recent updates.
>
> Is there any other language other than German that's causing problems?

At the moment, in my default TB, I won't update my British English
Dictionary 1.19.1 to version 1.19.3 which is then automatically
transferred to the new 'Dictionaries' category of the Add-ons Manager
like version 2.0.3 of the German Dictionary as my tests have shown. And
I am sure that this transfer is at least part of the problem.
-rebro

rebro

Oct 30, 2012, 5:02:20 PM10/30/12
Thanks for illustrating the problem. Your picture shows what I have
experienced in the two test profiles - apart from the word
'SpellChecker' completely missing in my case.
But have a look at the "miracles" in my default TB:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2m2gqk3.jpg

-rebro

Peter Taylor

Oct 30, 2012, 7:59:06 PM10/30/12
Hopefully it will get sorted out soon.

--
Peter Taylor

Peter Taylor

Oct 30, 2012, 8:06:41 PM10/30/12
Yes.

> and do you see a new
> Dictionaries category in your Add-ons Manager?

No, I only have Dictionary Switcher 1.1.5 and Spanish (listed as
Diccionario de Español/España 1.5) under Extensions. I guess the US
English is a part of the Switcher because there's no reference to
English but the US English is a choice. It's correcting this very message.

--
Peter Taylor

Peter Taylor

Oct 30, 2012, 8:08:36 PM10/30/12
Mine doesn't look that way at all. It has either en-US or es-ES which is
toggled by one click.

--
Peter Taylor

Eckard

Oct 30, 2012, 8:20:15 PM10/30/12
Le 30/10/12 20:20, Herb a écrit :
I've installed the "en-US Spellchecker 6.0" and "Wörterbuch Deutsch
(de-DE) Hunspell - unterstützt 20120628" in French versions of TB 16.0.2
and TB 17beta, and use them without any problem together with the very
ancient "Markov Dictionary Switcher 1.0" add-on:
<https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/thunderbird/addon/markov-dictionary-switcher/>

The Markov Dictionary Switcher auto-detects the language I'm typing and
automatically switches to the spell-checker of this language.
I had tested Dictionary Switcher 1.1.5 and 1.3.2 but got in big trouble
with both of them since they completely froze TB and even my system when
I was composing a message.

Herb

Oct 31, 2012, 3:42:55 AM10/31/12
On 30.10.2012 21:02 UK Time, rebro wrote:

>> FWIW, this is what I see in my Write window status bar now:
>> <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15973585/SpellChecker.png>.
>>
>> When I put the cursor over the word SpellChecker the black underline
>> appears, suggesting it is active in some way, but when I click on it,
>> nothing happens.
>>

> Thanks for illustrating the problem. Your picture shows what I have
> experienced in the two test profiles - apart from the word
> 'SpellChecker' completely missing in my case.
> But have a look at the "miracles" in my default TB:
>
> http://i47.tinypic.com/2m2gqk3.jpg

Intriguing. Thanks for the annotated screenshots.

Herbert

Herb

Oct 31, 2012, 3:56:51 AM10/31/12
On 31.10.2012 00:20 UK Time, Eckard wrote:

> I've installed the "en-US Spellchecker 6.0" and "Wörterbuch Deutsch
> (de-DE) Hunspell - unterstützt 20120628" in French versions of TB 16.0.2
> and TB 17beta, and use them without any problem together with the very
> ancient "Markov Dictionary Switcher 1.0" add-on:
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/thunderbird/addon/markov-dictionary-switcher/>
>

> The Markov Dictionary Switcher auto-detects the language I'm typing and
> automatically switches to the spell-checker of this language.
> I had tested Dictionary Switcher 1.1.5 and 1.3.2 but got in big trouble
> with both of them since they completely froze TB and even my system when
> I was composing a message.

Thanks for pointing out the Markov Dictionary Switcher. I just installed
it, but the problem I described earlier persisted, which made me suspect
that the problem is in fact caused by the German dictionary, rather than
the Dictionary Switcher add-on.

Sure enough, if I remove version 2.0.3 of the German dictionary and
install the previous version, i.e. 2.0.2, everthing is back to normal.

However, in view of your recommendation I'm going to ditch the the other
Dictionary Switcher add-on and keep the Markov Dictionary Switcher. I
just tested it, and it does indeed auto-switch! Very clever. Not sure
whether the other Dictionary Switcher is supposed to do that too, but I
never saw it happen.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Herb

Oct 31, 2012, 4:54:46 AM10/31/12
Actually, I'm not sure about auto-switch. During message composition iot
keeps jumping between German and English for no apparent reason, and I'm
already beginning to find it rather irritating after only a dozen
messages or so.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

rebro

Oct 31, 2012, 7:05:44 AM10/31/12
Trying to test the Markov Dictionary Switcher I accidentally detected an
integrated Dictionary Switcher in TB 16.0.2 which I haven't ever noticed
so far if it was already there in the preceding versions.
Right-clicking into the text field opens this function which responds to
the add-ons in the 'Extensions' list and the dictionaries in the
'Dictionaries' category alike:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ijnhxw.jpg

-rebro

Eckard

Oct 31, 2012, 7:08:03 AM10/31/12
Le 31/10/12 09:54, Herb a écrit :
I occasionally observe this behavior too, but after a few words it
always switches back to the language I'm actually writing. Maybe the
cause is that sometimes I have to use an English word or expression in a
French or German text.
I've extensively tested this add-on, typing one line in French, the next
in English, the third one in German and so on, and spell-checking always
switches to the "new" language after four or five words!
Did you set up the Markov Dictionary Switcher preferences in the Add-ons
Manager? You can *disable* the "auto-detect language" feature and you
have to check the dictionaries you want to switch between.
As I said before, the other dictionary switchers would completely freeze
TB on my Mac, but this could also be due to an extension conflict.
Anyhow, I'll do more testing with the 1.1.5 and the 1.3.2 versions in a
new profile.
P.S.: all my dictionaries are installed in "Extensions" in the Add-ons
Manager.

Eckard

Oct 31, 2012, 7:41:08 AM10/31/12
Le 31/10/12 12:05, rebro a écrit :
This integrated dictionary switcher existed as far as I can remember.
The advantage of the dictionary switcher add-ons is to be able to
auto-detect the language and switch to the correspondent spell-checker.

Description of the Dictionary Switcher 1.3.2:
"Toggles dictionaries automatically or manually and displays the
currently selected one".

Herb

Oct 31, 2012, 7:57:40 AM10/31/12
On 31.10.2012 11:08 UK Time, Eckard wrote:

>> Actually, I'm not sure about auto-switch. During message composition iot
>> keeps jumping between German and English for no apparent reason, and I'm
>> already beginning to find it rather irritating after only a dozen
>> messages or so.
>>
> I occasionally observe this behavior too, but after a few words it
> always switches back to the language I'm actually writing. Maybe the
> cause is that sometimes I have to use an English word or expression in a
> French or German text.
> I've extensively tested this add-on, typing one line in French, the next
> in English, the third one in German and so on, and spell-checking always
> switches to the "new" language after four or five words!
> Did you set up the Markov Dictionary Switcher preferences in the Add-ons
> Manager? You can *disable* the "auto-detect language" feature and you
> have to check the dictionaries you want to switch between.
> As I said before, the other dictionary switchers would completely freeze
> TB on my Mac, but this could also be due to an extension conflict.
> Anyhow, I'll do more testing with the 1.1.5 and the 1.3.2 versions in a
> new profile.
> P.S.: all my dictionaries are installed in "Extensions" in the Add-ons
> Manager.

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you have version 2.0.3 of the German dictionary installed? As
indicated earlier, I think we have identified this version as the
cluprit for the problems reported earlier in this thread.

As for auto-switching, I definitely find it far too erratic in the
Markov Dictionary Switcher and have disabled it.

I note that Dictionary Switcher 1.3.2 also says it offers
auto-switching. I'll try that and report back in due course.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Herb

Oct 31, 2012, 8:05:27 AM10/31/12
On 31.10.2012 11:57 UK Time, Herb wrote:

> I note that Dictionary Switcher 1.3.2 also says it offers
> auto-switching. I'll try that and report back in due course.

I tried it, but auto-switching doesn't seem to work, unless I'm missing
an option somewhere to activate it?

I note that the add-on author gives an e-mail address at
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/dictionary-switcher/>,
so I'll contact him.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Eckard

Oct 31, 2012, 8:14:38 AM10/31/12
Le 31/10/12 12:57, Herb a écrit :
I don't use the German Dictionary 2.0.3.
I have installed the "Deutsches Wörterbuch für Ispell, Myspell und
Hunspell"
<http://www.j3e.de/ispell/igerman98/>

rebro

Oct 31, 2012, 8:19:38 AM10/31/12
Am 31.10.2012 12:41, schrieb Eckard:
> Le 31/10/12 12:05, rebro a �crit :

Which leaves us with the problem that the present versions of
DictionarySwitcher cannot cope properly with recent updates of some
dictionaries (i.e. the German Dictionary 2.0.3 and the British English
Dictionary 1.19.3).
BTW my TB 16.0.2 test profile refused to install the Markov Dictionary
Switcher (?).
-rebro

Eckard

Oct 31, 2012, 8:27:45 AM10/31/12
Le 31/10/12 13:14, Eckard a écrit :
> Le 31/10/12 12:57, Herb a écrit :
>>
>> Do you have version 2.0.3 of the German dictionary installed? As
>> indicated earlier, I think we have identified this version as the
>> cluprit for the problems reported earlier in this thread.
>>
> I don't use the German Dictionary 2.0.3.
> I have installed the "Deutsches Wörterbuch für Ispell, Myspell und
> Hunspell"
> <http://www.j3e.de/ispell/igerman98/>
Actually the URL for the German Dictionary (new orthography) I 'm using is:
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/german-dictionary-de_de-for-sp/>

rebro

Oct 31, 2012, 8:29:54 AM10/31/12
Am 31.10.2012 12:57, schrieb Herb:
> On 31.10.2012 11:08 UK Time, Eckard wrote:
>
>> P.S.: all my dictionaries are installed in "Extensions" in the Add-ons
>> Manager.
>

> Do you have version 2.0.3 of the German dictionary installed? As
> indicated earlier, I think we have identified this version as the
> cluprit for the problems reported earlier in this thread.

Re: "culprit":
In my case it's the same with the updated British English Dictionary
(version 1.19.3) which is also moved to the 'Dictionaries' category
after the update.

Thanks for trying to contact the author of Dictionary Switcher.
-rebro

Eckard

Oct 31, 2012, 8:34:29 AM10/31/12
Le 31/10/12 13:19, rebro a écrit :
> Am 31.10.2012 12:41, schrieb Eckard:

No problem here with TB 16.0.2 and 17b.
Try again after installing "Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks 1.3"
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/checkcompatibility/>
(allows me to run six outdated add-ons in TB 17b)

I'm using the "German dictionary (de_DE), new orthography"
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/german-dictionary-de_de-for-sp/>

rebro

Oct 31, 2012, 8:50:38 AM10/31/12
Am 31.10.2012 13:34, schrieb Eckard:
> Le 31/10/12 13:19, rebro a écrit :
>>
>> BTW my TB 16.0.2 test profile refused to install the Markov Dictionary
>> Switcher (?).
>> -rebro
> No problem here with TB 16.0.2 and 17b.
> Try again after installing "Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks 1.3"
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/checkcompatibility/>

Thank you.
That worked.
-rebro

rebro

Oct 31, 2012, 9:14:00 AM10/31/12
BUT: The problems are comparable to those caused(?) by Dictionary Switcher:
-- Auto-detect does not work.
-- The dictionaries in the 'Dictionaries' category are not recognized by
the Markov Dictionary Switcher.
-rebro

Eckard

Oct 31, 2012, 9:15:35 AM10/31/12
Le 31/10/12 12:57, Herb a écrit :

> Do you have version 2.0.3 of the German dictionary installed? As
> indicated earlier, I think we have identified this version as the
> cluprit for the problems reported earlier in this thread.

If you want to install the 2.0.3 version of the German dictionary in
"Extensions" instead of "Dictionaries" you can do this by tweaking the
"install.rdf" file.
1/ unzip the german_dictionary-2.0.3.....xpi file,
2/ open the install.rdf file in a text editor,
3/ delete the sixth line <em:type>64</em:type> and save the modification
4/ re-compress the two elements "dictionaries" and install.rdf
5/ rename the resulting archive file to
"german_dictionary-2.0.3....xpi", install it.

Arivald

Oct 31, 2012, 10:11:25 AM10/31/12
W dniu 2012-10-31 12:05, rebro pisze:
Really, You noticed it just now?

So I have tricky question for You: Did You notice that "Spelling" button
have drop-down, and this menu allow You to change dictionary?

--
Arivald

Herb

Oct 31, 2012, 10:19:43 AM10/31/12
Yes, I reported this earlier.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Herb

Oct 31, 2012, 10:20:26 AM10/31/12
Thanks, but I'll stick with version 2.0.2 for now.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Herb

Oct 31, 2012, 10:22:13 AM10/31/12
No need for sarcasm. Do you have anything constructive to say that is
relevant to this thread?

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Eckard

Oct 31, 2012, 10:27:04 AM10/31/12
Le 31/10/12 14:14, rebro a écrit :
Auto-detect with Markow Dictionary Switcher works for me for years
already BUT ... I have no dictionaries installed in the "Dictionaries"
category. All my dictionaries are in the "Extensions" category!
My guess is that the new "Dictionaries" category doesn't get along with
the auto-detect feature.
A workaround for installing dictionaries in "Extensions" is tweaking the
dictionary's "install.rdf file (see my reply to your post "Re-culprit"
below).

rebro

Oct 31, 2012, 12:44:09 PM10/31/12
Thanks for the hint. From the moment on I installed my first additional
dictionaries I have always used 'Dictionary Switcher' and to my shame I
have to admit that I have always found it so convenient that I have have
never cared for whatever internal functions there were.
-rebro

Herb

Nov 1, 2012, 9:11:47 AM11/1/12
I sent the e-mail to the author, but no reply yet. I'll report back
if/when I receive one.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

rebro

Nov 1, 2012, 10:25:49 AM11/1/12
Thanks for your efforts. Let's hope for a quick update of this add-on
which I have really grown accustomed to.
Looking forward to your report,
-rebro

Eckard

Nov 2, 2012, 2:06:38 PM11/2/12
Le 31/10/12 15:27, Eckard a écrit :
> Le 31/10/12 14:14, rebro a écrit :
>>
>> BUT: The problems are comparable to those caused(?) by Dictionary
>> Switcher:
>> -- Auto-detect does not work.
>> -- The dictionaries in the 'Dictionaries' category are not recognized by
>> the Markov Dictionary Switcher.
>> -rebro
> Auto-detect with Markow Dictionary Switcher works for me for years
> already BUT ... I have no dictionaries installed in the "Dictionaries"
> category. All my dictionaries are in the "Extensions" category!
> My guess is that the new "Dictionaries" category doesn't get along with
> the auto-detect feature.
> A workaround for installing dictionaries in "Extensions" is tweaking the
> dictionary's "install.rdf file (see my reply to your post "Re-culprit"
> below).
Sorry, I completely forgot to tell you that if you want Dictionary
Switcher 1.3.2 or 1.1.5 to auto-detect the typed language you'll have to
change
"extensions.dictionary-switcher.autodetect" to 'true' in the config editor.

Herb

Nov 6, 2012, 3:26:05 AM11/6/12
The author, Alfredo Fernández Díaz, sent a helpful reply.

Apparently there is an elusive bug which sets the default for the option
"extensions.dictionary-switcher.autodetect" to 'false'.

To activate the language autodetect option, simply change the setting to
true.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

rebro

Nov 6, 2012, 6:02:43 AM11/6/12
Thank you very much for this info.
I followed the advice and it seems to work: When I started writing this
reply DictionarySwitcher automatically changed from 'German oldspell' to
'en-US' after the third word.

But nevertheless all this still leaves us with the problem that the
dictionaries in the 'Dictionaries' section are not recognized.
Did Díaz mention anything re this issue?
-rebro

Herb

Nov 6, 2012, 8:39:23 AM11/6/12
I didn't ask him about this issue. I thought we had come to the
conclusion that the latest version German dictionary is to blame, not
the Dictionary Switcher add-on?

With the previous version of the German dictionary (2.0.2) everything
works as expected for me now.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

rebro

Nov 6, 2012, 11:40:33 AM11/6/12
Of course, right at the moment we should stick to the older versions of
the German and British English dictionaries if we want to avoid this issue.
However I am not convinced that the two recent versions of these
dictionaries are to blame. I am in line with the reviews by Endoro8 and
tibitts
(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/dictionary-switcher/?src=search)
when they suggest that Dictionary Switcher should adapt to the new
situation.
-rebro

Herb

Nov 6, 2012, 1:12:57 PM11/6/12
On 06.11.2012 16:40 UK Time, rebro wrote:

>>> But nevertheless all this still leaves us with the problem that the
>>> dictionaries in the 'Dictionaries' section are not recognized.
>>> Did Díaz mention anything re this issue?
>>> -rebro
>>
>> I didn't ask him about this issue. I thought we had come to the
>> conclusion that the latest version German dictionary is to blame, not
>> the Dictionary Switcher add-on?
>>
>> With the previous version of the German dictionary (2.0.2) everything
>> works as expected for me now.
>>

> Of course, right at the moment we should stick to the older versions of
> the German and British English dictionaries if we want to avoid this issue.
> However I am not convinced that the two recent versions of these
> dictionaries are to blame. I am in line with the reviews by Endoro8 and
> tibitts
> (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/dictionary-switcher/?src=search)
> when they suggest that Dictionary Switcher should adapt to the new
> situation.
> -rebro

But I had the same problem with the Markov Dictionary Switcher until I
switched back to version 2.0.2 of the German dictionary, and I don't
have the problem with the latest version of the British English
dictionary (version 1.19.1).

I'm happy with my current setup 8-)

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

rebro

Nov 6, 2012, 1:37:14 PM11/6/12
Am 06.11.2012 19:12, schrieb Herb:

>> Of course, right at the moment we should stick to the older versions of
>> the German and British English dictionaries if we want to avoid this
>> issue.
>> However I am not convinced that the two recent versions of these
>> dictionaries are to blame. I am in line with the reviews by Endoro8 and
>> tibitts
>> (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/dictionary-switcher/?src=search)
>> when they suggest that Dictionary Switcher should adapt to the new
>> situation.
> But I had the same problem with the Markov Dictionary Switcher until I
> switched back to version 2.0.2 of the German dictionary, and I don't
> have the problem with the latest version of the British English
> dictionary (version 1.19.1).

The latest version is 1.19.3 (if I am not completely mistaken).

> I'm happy with my current setup 8-)

And so am I (in a way :)).
-rebro

Herb

Nov 7, 2012, 2:06:15 AM11/7/12
On 06.11.2012 18:37 UK Time, rebro wrote:

>> But I had the same problem with the Markov Dictionary Switcher until I
>> switched back to version 2.0.2 of the German dictionary, and I don't
>> have the problem with the latest version of the British English
>> dictionary (version 1.19.1).
>
> The latest version is 1.19.3 (if I am not completely mistaken).

1.19.1, according to this page:
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/british-english-dictionary/>

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

rebro

Nov 7, 2012, 5:45:40 AM11/7/12
1.19.3, according to this page:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/british-english-dictionary-/
"British English Dictionary (Updated) 1.19.3
by Lucas
This is an updated version of Mark Tyndall's extension. It packages
David Bartlett's British English Dictionary R1.19 for Firefox,
Thunderbird and SeaMonkey."
-rebro

Herb

Nov 7, 2012, 6:10:24 AM11/7/12
On 07.11.2012 10:45 UK Time, rebro wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Under the circumstances I think I'll stick with 1.19.1 for the time being.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Herb

Nov 12, 2012, 3:17:44 AM11/12/12
On 06.11.2012 16:40 UK Time, rebro wrote:

> Of course, right at the moment we should stick to the older versions of
> the German and British English dictionaries if we want to avoid this issue.
> However I am not convinced that the two recent versions of these
> dictionaries are to blame. I am in line with the reviews by Endoro8 and
> tibitts
> (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/dictionary-switcher/?src=search)
> when they suggest that Dictionary Switcher should adapt to the new
> situation.
> -rebro

I asked Alfredo Díaz about the situation, i.e. I asked him whether he is
aware that the latest versions of the German and English dictionaries
create a new "Dictionaries" category under Add-ons Manager, which the
dictionary switcher add-ons don't seem to be able to handle yet, and I
pointed him to this thread.

Here is his reply:
"Yes, I've been made painfully aware of it. 90% of my mail about
dictionary switcher is because of that now. .... Maybe you can update
everyone else: the guys at Mozilla break things!

For whatever reason, having dictionaries listed as 'Dictionaries'
instead of plain 'extensions' makes them invisible to the internal
Mozilla function getDictionaryList() (which, as you can guess, is pretty
specific [thus unrelated to 'extension types'] and constitutes the main
and only axis of any dictionary handling by extensions).

In other words, Mozilla broke it and everyone gets mad at me :-(

Fortunately, this is almost trivial to fix (but took bloody ages to
figure out). Edit the install.rdf file inside any dictionaries folders
or .xpi archives (check under both your profile and application folders
just in case) and delete / comment out the line "<em:type>64</em:type>"
and you're done until the next dictionary update reverts it or until the
guys at Mozilla fix this, whichever comes first. The down side is,
meanwhile the 'dictionaries' tab will be empty, and dictionaries will
get listed as regular 'extensions'. Oh, the horror!

My reply:
I'm not sure I fully understand who is to blame for the current
situation (i.e. the Mozilla guys or the dictionary guys?), but please
rest assured that I'm definitely not blaming you :-)

In any case, I'm quite happy to stick with the previous versions of the
German and the British dictionaries for now, but I can certainly pass on
your comments, explanation and solution in the "Dictionary Switcher
broken" thread in the Thunderbird newsgroup.

Further reply from Alfredo (who encouraged me to pass it on here):
Well, type 64 has been in the specs since I don't know when
(literally--it is there now, but...) but only very recently has it
become mandatorily added to dictionary .xpi. Not that it is tremendously
useful anyway...

Anyway, adding it to the dict installers should not break an internal,
specific function such as getDictionaryList(). I could understand it if
I had to change something like

getExtensionList(); someTypeCheck(); blahblahblah();

getExtensionListByType(64); yakyakyak();

but not the way it is (and always has been), so I guess it is the
dictionary guys to blame for not including the type since day 1, AND the
Mozilla guys for not checking that some simple thing like that breaks
getDictionaryList() (to which I'm contributing BTW by not filing a bug
report yet).

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

rebro

Nov 12, 2012, 6:40:59 AM11/12/12
Am 12.11.2012 09:17, schrieb Herb:
> On 06.11.2012 16:40 UK Time, rebro wrote:
>>
>> Of course, right at the moment we should stick to the older versions of
>> the German and British English dictionaries if we want to avoid this
>> issue.
>> However I am not convinced that the two recent versions of these
>> dictionaries are to blame. I am in line with the reviews by Endoro8 and
>> tibitts
>> (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/dictionary-switcher/?src=search)
>>
>> when they suggest that Dictionary Switcher should adapt to the new
>> situation.
>
> I asked Alfredo Díaz about the situation, i.e. I asked him whether he is
> aware that the latest versions of the German and English dictionaries
> create a new "Dictionaries" category under Add-ons Manager, which the
> dictionary switcher add-ons don't seem to be able to handle yet, and I
> pointed him to this thread.

Thanks again, Herb, for your efforts and your perseverance!

> Here is his reply:
> "Yes, I've been made painfully aware of it. 90% of my mail about
> dictionary switcher is because of that now. .... Maybe you can update
> everyone else: the guys at Mozilla break things!
>
> For whatever reason, having dictionaries listed as 'Dictionaries'
> instead of plain 'extensions' makes them invisible to the internal
> Mozilla function getDictionaryList() (which, as you can guess, is pretty
> specific [thus unrelated to 'extension types'] and constitutes the main
> and only axis of any dictionary handling by extensions).
>
> In other words, Mozilla broke it and everyone gets mad at me :-(

This sounds highly plausible and I am ready to apologize for my dark
suspicions :-)

> Fortunately, this is almost trivial to fix (but took bloody ages to
> figure out). Edit the install.rdf file inside any dictionaries folders
> or .xpi archives (check under both your profile and application folders
> just in case) and delete / comment out the line "<em:type>64</em:type>"
> and you're done until the next dictionary update reverts it or until the
> guys at Mozilla fix this, whichever comes first. The down side is,
> meanwhile the 'dictionaries' tab will be empty, and dictionaries will
> get listed as regular 'extensions'. Oh, the horror!

In my case with several FF and TB profiles trying to delete
"<em:type>64</em:type>" turned out to be a tiresome hit-or-miss job. But
if I get the advice properly, no harm is done when the elimination is
incomplete.
Thanks again and let's hope for a satisfactory solution by those who are
really to blame.
-rebro