TB 2 beta 2 Display Problem

Cal Tinson

Feb 4, 2007, 4:18:56 PM2/4/07
Updated one machine from 1.5.0.9 with nary a hitch.

On a second machine, tried to do same thing, but some of subjects in all
of the mail folders repeat and overlay each other. Tried a zillion
things with no success:

changed font sizes, compacted folders, reindexed both manually and
automatically, started in safe mode, re-d/l'ed and reloaded, etc.

I can go back to 1.5.0.9 with no problem, so it's hard to believe the
files are corrupted. Sounds as if it may be a css type of problem.

Any thoughts on things to look at or try? Thanks!
CTinFL

Nir

Feb 4, 2007, 4:23:02 PM2/4/07
your problem is not much clear to me, a screen-shot (if possible) may be
more helpful.
Although as its a display related problem , do a basic thing:
switch back to Default theme , restart TB.

Cal Tinson

Feb 4, 2007, 5:36:33 PM2/4/07

Already using the default. To get a screen shot, I'd have to load it
again. Let me see if I can describe it better:

On 1.5.0.9, assume two unread headers in the inbox (using threads unread):

TB 2 beta 2 Display Problem
Re: Re-wrapping

In the beta, they might be on the same line, one on top of the other and
barely readable (this is the main problem). Also, one of them might be
repeated one or more times on separate lines.
CTinFL

Nir

Feb 4, 2007, 6:58:41 PM2/4/07
Cal, you may try this :
completely close TB
goto TB profile folder
delete/move 'panacea.dat' file
also if you have any 'userChrome.css' file under profile folder > chrome
, move it out from profile folder
start TB in safe mode ( start > programs > Thunderbird[no extension] )

if you get same problem then create a new profile :
Close TB
goto start > run , type
"thunderbird.exe" -P
close TB
migrate this files from old profile to new profile:
'prefs.js'
Mail folder
ImapMail folder
News folder
key3.db file
signons.txt file
Start TB with new profile . same problem?

Cal Tinson

Feb 4, 2007, 8:11:03 PM2/4/07

Thanks, Nir - sounds promising. Will try tomorrow and report back.
CTinFL

Ron Hunter

Feb 5, 2007, 3:40:15 AM2/5/07
See if a new profile (yeah, I know, PITA) corrects the problem.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

Cal Tinson

Feb 5, 2007, 10:03:58 AM2/5/07

Nir (and Ron) - Tried all the suggestions, including a new profile
without success.

I did discover that selecting the first header and then using the space
bar to go through all headers fixed the display problem!!! However,
doing anything else, like resorting or going to another folder then
returning, caused the overlay display problem to return. Suspect this
may have to do with the new message history feature. I'm now looking for
a way to turn it off. Sheesh!
CTinFL

Ann Watson

Feb 5, 2007, 10:46:59 AM2/5/07

I have the same display problem in TB2 beta 2. Unfortunately I
removed 1.5.0.9 so can't seem to access the profile manager to create a
new profile to try those suggestions that didn't work for you anyway.
I remember having a similar problem with a couple of themes (which I
gave up using) several TB upgrades ago. The Noia 2 eXtreme theme is
causing the least display problems for me.

Ann

--
Remove the FISH from the net to reply

Cal Tinson

Feb 5, 2007, 11:14:09 AM2/5/07

You nailed it, Ann! Noia 2 eXtreme works fine in the header panel.
However, if I select a header, the folder panel (which is fine in the
default theme) gets loused up!!

Obvious conclusion: beta 2 is NOWHERE NEAR ready for prime time. I'm not
going to waste any more time on it on my problem machine, but will
probably keep it on this machine.
CTinFL

Tony Raven

Feb 5, 2007, 11:50:42 AM2/5/07
Cal Tinson wrote on 05/02/2007 16:14 +0100:

> Obvious conclusion: beta 2 is NOWHERE NEAR ready for prime time.

Ermmm. Its a beta. Its not even a RC let alone a release. FWIW its
working fine for me with about 23 extensions running and the default theme.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Leonidas Jones

Feb 5, 2007, 12:02:36 PM2/5/07
Tony Raven wrote:
> Cal Tinson wrote on 05/02/2007 16:14 +0100:
>>
>> Obvious conclusion: beta 2 is NOWHERE NEAR ready for prime time.
>
> Ermmm. Its a beta. Its not even a RC let alone a release. FWIW its
> working fine for me with about 23 extensions running and the default theme.

I have no display issues, but it is much slower then 2.0 B1 was.

Lee

The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

Cal Tinson

Feb 5, 2007, 12:29:44 PM2/5/07
On 2/5/2007 11:50 AM eastern, Tony Raven wrote:

> Cal Tinson wrote on 05/02/2007 16:14 +0100:
>>
>> Obvious conclusion: beta 2 is NOWHERE NEAR ready for prime time.
>
> Ermmm. Its a beta. Its not even a RC let alone a release. FWIW its
> working fine for me with about 23 extensions running and the default theme.

Ermmm - betas are to find problems, and Ann I did. There is no point in
further using it on the problem machine, but I am using it on this
machine where so far it's working fine. OK by you?
CTinFL

Tony Raven

Feb 5, 2007, 5:41:10 PM2/5/07

Fine, it did what its supposed to do - debug with a wider test
community. It was not meant for prime time but neither does one bug
found make is nowhere near ready.

Ann Watson

Feb 5, 2007, 12:45:22 PM2/5/07
Tony Raven wrote:
> Cal Tinson wrote on 05/02/2007 17:29 +0100:

>>> Ermmm. Its a beta. Its not even a RC let alone a release. FWIW its
>>> working fine for me with about 23 extensions running and the default
>>> theme.
>>
>> Ermmm - betas are to find problems, and Ann I did. There is no point in
>> further using it on the problem machine, but I am using it on this
>> machine where so far it's working fine. OK by you?
>
> Fine, it did what its supposed to do - debug with a wider test
> community. It was not meant for prime time but neither does one bug
> found make is nowhere near ready.

For me, everything else other than the display problem is working
great with TB 2 beta. If I get enough time I will try to reinstall
1.5.0.9 and build a new profile to see what happens, as this one has
been around awhile. Still, it's a puzzlement.

Ann W.

Egídio Leitão

Feb 6, 2007, 8:31:41 AM2/6/07
This is interesting... I've been using TB 2 beta 2 for 2 weeks now and
have not had any strange behaviors. I've even forced compatibility of
some of my extensions without any negative consequences. Everything is
working well so far. Actually, looking back, maybe there is something
odd about it. This only happens with newsgroups, though. Sometimes,
when I click on an article listing, nothing appears in the message
pane. I then go to my email and return to the newsgroup, and the
article text shows up.

--
Egídio
Mac dual 2 GHz G5, 1.5 GB RAM, OS X (10.4.8), TB 2 beta 2 (20070116)

Cal Tinson

Feb 6, 2007, 8:38:13 AM2/6/07

Hi, Ann - From the following, I think it's probably pointless for anyone
else with the display problem to try a new profile:

When I did, I changed nothing from a vanilla new profile except to set
up one e-mail account - no files brought over, settings changed, etc. I
sent two test messages from it, which were received and displayed on my
other machine just fine. However, the two messages were overlaid in the
Sent folder display on the originating machine.
CTinFL

Ann Watson

Feb 7, 2007, 12:01:36 PM2/7/07

Thanks, Cal, but I went ahead and reinstalled 1.5.0.9 and created
another profile anyway, just for the practice. It didn't solve anything
in the display for TB2 Beta 2 so I'm still considering my options.

Ann

Tony Raven

Feb 7, 2007, 1:37:35 PM2/7/07
Egídio Leitão wrote on 06/02/2007 13:31 +0100:
> This is interesting... I've been using TB 2 beta 2 for 2 weeks now and
> have not had any strange behaviors. I've even forced compatibility of
> some of my extensions without any negative consequences. Everything is
> working well so far. Actually, looking back, maybe there is something
> odd about it. This only happens with newsgroups, though. Sometimes,
> when I click on an article listing, nothing appears in the message
> pane. I then go to my email and return to the newsgroup, and the
> article text shows up.

I have had that problem too.

Cal Tinson

Apr 19, 2007, 1:55:58 PM4/19/07
The following beta 2 problem is still occurring in the final, both with
the default and Noia themes. Any ideas?
CTinCT

NOTE: ORIGINAL POSTS EDITED A BIT

You nailed it, Ann! Noia 2 eXtreme works fine in the header panel.

However, if I select a header, the folder panel (which is fine in the

default theme) gets loused up, with a copy of the account name
overlaying the Inbox line!!

Ann Watson

Apr 20, 2007, 10:41:35 AM4/20/07
Cal Tinson wrote:
> The following beta 2 problem is still occurring in the final, both with
> the default and Noia themes. Any ideas?
> CTinCT

FYI, I'm still having the theme problems as well - had been using the TB
2.0 pre-release version for some time now. A new profile brought no
relief. The most recent "Azerty Mail" and "Toy Factory" themes work
fine for me however. Anyway this could this be a graphics card
hardware/software glitch? (Mine's coming up to its sixth year!)

Ann W.

Cal Tinson

Apr 20, 2007, 11:56:20 AM4/20/07
On 4/20/2007 10:41 AM eastern, Ann Watson wrote:

> FYI, I'm still having the theme problems as well - had been using the TB
> 2.0 pre-release version for some time now. A new profile brought no
> relief. The most recent "Azerty Mail" and "Toy Factory" themes work
> fine for me however. Anyway this could this be a graphics card
> hardware/software glitch? (Mine's coming up to its sixth year!)
>
> Ann W.

Thanks again, Ann. Azerty Mail works just fine!
CTinCT