problems with Yahoo IMAP

Christian Riechers

May 31, 2011, 5:18:30 PM5/31/11
I'm getting the following error message when trying to access Yahoo
Email via IMAP from TB.
"The IMAP server does not support the selected authentication method.
Please change the Authentication method."
The domain is yahoo.com.

It's been working fine earlier today. No config changes have been made,
so I'd suspect a server glitch. Is anyone else having problems?
TB 3.1.10 under Linux. Same problem with Miramar 3.3a4pre.
Thanks.

--
Christian

Mike Easter

May 31, 2011, 5:48:53 PM5/31/11

I have an experimental Tb 3.1.10 POP (not IMAP) account at
pop.att.yahoo.com which is working right now for sending and receiving.

The settings are:

pop.att.yahoo.com
port 995
us...@att.net
security SSL/TLS
auth normal pass

smtp.att.yahoo.com
port 465
us...@att.net
auth normal pass
security SSL/TLS

--
Mike Easter

Big_Al

May 31, 2011, 5:57:59 PM5/31/11
Christian Riechers said this on 5/31/2011 5:18 PM:
I'd be interested in a follow up if you get this fixed. I have yahoo
email too but all that I have read indicates that Yahoo can only be
accessed via POP and only if you have the Yahoo Plus account. The free
account does not support POP. I can't find settings for IMAP.

I'll be watching

Christian Riechers

May 31, 2011, 6:01:09 PM5/31/11

Thanks, Mike. Settings here are:

imap.mail.yahoo.com
port 993
us...@yahoo.com

security SSL/TLS
auth normal pass

The trouble must have started sometime today.

--
Christian

Mike Easter

May 31, 2011, 6:12:26 PM5/31/11
Christian Riechers wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Christian Riechers wrote:
>>> I'm getting the following error message when trying to access Yahoo
>>> Email via IMAP from TB.
>>> "The IMAP server does not support the selected authentication method.
>>> Please change the Authentication method."
>>> The domain is yahoo.com.

>> I have an experimental Tb 3.1.10 POP (not IMAP) account at

>> pop.att.yahoo.com which is working right now for sending and receiving.

> imap.mail.yahoo.com

> port 993
> us...@yahoo.com
> security SSL/TLS
> auth normal pass
>
> The trouble must have started sometime today.

The wikipedia has a number of things to say about yahoo's IMAP and Tbird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Mail Yahoo! operates IMAP and secure
IMAP servers (imap.mail.yahoo.com in particular), which are globally
accessible. However they require a specific, non-standard IMAP command
to be sent before login is done, namely: “ID ("GUID" "1")”. This non
standard command is not required if accessed from mobile networks, ...
it is feasible to modify an open-source e-mail client to send the ID
command, and there are modified versions of Mutt and Mozilla Thunderbird
available to download.[28] Alternatively, one can connect an unmodified
e-mail client through an IMAP proxy that adds the ID command. A
commercial software package that accomplishes this is called 'Yahoo IMAP
Connector',[29] available here..

... and [28] refers here

http://www.crasseux.com/linux/ Reading yahoo mail over imap with mutt
and thunderbird - Updated version for thunderbird 3.1 can be found here:
Yahoo Imap support for Thunderbird 3.1 at KeeForm

--
Mike Easter

Paul ENG

May 31, 2011, 7:34:24 PM5/31/11

Hi Christian

I've got the same error message coming up.
TB 3.1.10 under WinXP.

--
Paul

To contact me, get 'your' 'finger' out ;-)

Good Guy

May 31, 2011, 8:36:31 PM5/31/11

Big_Al wrote:

> I'd be interested in a follow up if you get this fixed. I have yahoo
> email too but all that I have read indicates that Yahoo can only be
> accessed via POP and only if you have the Yahoo Plus account. The free
> account does not support POP. I can't find settings for IMAP.
>
> I'll be watching

Try this link:

<https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0Bwx0lG_v1tcOZDBhMGYwYTktNDlhZC00OWFmLWE1MzctYjdlMmQyZTc0NDE0&hl=en_GB>

hth

Christian Riechers

May 31, 2011, 11:46:19 PM5/31/11

It is working again now. I hope it will be stable. Haven't seen this
problem with Yahoo before.

--
Christian

Christian Riechers

May 31, 2011, 11:57:23 PM5/31/11

I have no idea about a non-standard IMAP command required for Yahoo
IMAP. This information may be outdated. I can certainly tell that I have
no special or modified version of TB.
Whatever the problem was, it's gone now, and Yahoo IMAP is working again.

--
Christian

Christian Riechers

Jun 1, 2011, 12:17:21 AM6/1/11

Seems I was celebrating too early. Apparently this is intermittent. I'm
having problems again now. What a mess.

--
Christian

Good Guy

Jun 1, 2011, 12:40:59 AM6/1/11

Christian Riechers wrote:

> Seems I was celebrating too early. Apparently this is intermittent. I'm
> having problems again now. What a mess.

The problem is intermittent. They must be upgrading their systems to
deal with more people likely to use TB soon when IMAP is made official
on their website. They want to compete with AOL, Google and Hotmail.

In fact even mail.com is offering imap for people to download their
messages!

Andrew DeFaria

Jun 1, 2011, 12:52:59 AM6/1/11
On 05/31/11 20:57, Christian Riechers wrote:
[...]

Sure looks nonstandard to me:

Earth:telnet imap.mail.yahoo.com imap
Trying 74.6.114.111...
Connected to imap.mail.us.am0.yahoodns.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 ID NAMESPACE X-ID-ACLID UIDPLUS LITERAL+ CHILDREN
XAPPLEPUSHSERVICE XYMHIGHESTMODSEQ LOGINDISABLED AUTH=XYMCOOKIE AUTH=XYMECOOKIE
AUTH=XYMCOOKIEB64 AUTH=XYMPKI STARTTLS] IMAP4rev1 imapgate-0.7.68_5.309535
imap126.mail.sk1.yahoo.com
^]

In particular those XYM's seem to stand for Yahoo Mail.

BTW: Wikipedia is surprisingly up to date.
--
Andrew DeFaria
God is an imaginary friend for adults...

Mike Easter

Jun 1, 2011, 7:42:51 AM6/1/11
Christian Riechers wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> The wikipedia has a number of things to say about yahoo's IMAP and Tbird.

> I have no idea about a non-standard IMAP command required for Yahoo

> IMAP. This information may be outdated. I can certainly tell that I have
> no special or modified version of TB.
> Whatever the problem was, it's gone now, and Yahoo IMAP is working again.

Of 'historical' (internet-wise) interest is that if you search for
(without quote) 'imap.mail.yahoo.com non-standard' you will find
numerous tutorials and youtube vids and other instructionals for how to
use imap.mail.yahoo.com's non-standard command requirement -- the most
recent I found was 2010 Dec.

In the wikipedia's discussion section, in 2010 Oct someone complained
about the wiki article tout for the Yahoo IMAP Connector sounding like
an ad.

If I were into wiki editing, I could let them know that today's yahoo
IMAP doesn't require any non-standard command.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Jun 1, 2011, 8:04:26 AM6/1/11
Mike Easter wrote:
> Christian Riechers wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:
>
>>> The wikipedia has a number of things to say about yahoo's IMAP and
>>> Tbird.
>
>> I have no idea about a non-standard IMAP command required for Yahoo
>> IMAP. This information may be outdated.

> Of 'historical' (internet-wise) interest is that if you search for

> (without quote) 'imap.mail.yahoo.com non-standard' you will find
> numerous tutorials and youtube vids and other instructionals for how to
> use imap.mail.yahoo.com's non-standard command requirement -- the most
> recent I found was 2010 Dec.

Of other 'historical' interest -- yahoo mail's numerous instructionals
for setting up mail make no mention of the availability of IMAP except
for mobile. The normal client use describes POP only.

However, in the yahoo forums can be found a 2011 May post with settings
for yahoo imap

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110512114834AAsRJO9 I am
using IMAP with Thunderbird with a free account. I can receive email
with no problem.

--
Mike Easter

Ann Watson

Jun 1, 2011, 9:20:30 AM6/1/11
I had the same problem with my Yahoo account earlier this a.m. but it
seems to have resolved itself. Presumably a server glitch.

AW

Horatiu

Jun 1, 2011, 9:56:03 AM6/1/11

Hi there!

I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm on a Mac, Thunderbird 3.1.10.

I guess, there's only one thing to do... wait.

Paul ENG

Jun 1, 2011, 1:47:15 PM6/1/11

I've just tried my Yahoo account via IMAP for the first time since my

Good Guy,
I hadn't heard that Yahoo were going to IMAP official. Where did you
hear that?

--
Paul

If you wish to send me an email, you'll have to get 'your' 'finger' out ;-)

Christian Riechers

Jun 1, 2011, 2:19:33 PM6/1/11
On 06/01/2011 07:47 PM, Paul ENG wrote:
> On 01/06/2011 5:40 AM, Good Guy wrote:
>> Christian Riechers wrote:
>>
>>> Seems I was celebrating too early. Apparently this is intermittent. I'm
>>> having problems again now. What a mess.
>>>
>> The problem is intermittent. They must be upgrading their systems to
>> deal with more people likely to use TB soon when IMAP is made official
>> on their website. They want to compete with AOL, Google and Hotmail.
>>
>> In fact even mail.com is offering imap for people to download their
>> messages!
>
> I've just tried my Yahoo account via IMAP for the first time since my

I found 'imap.n.mail.yahoo.com' as incoming mail server in the Yahoo
forums.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ahz67A96q6OkJnJJVWmRYUMjzKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20101020060749AAeDb39
This appears to work at the moment.

--
Christian

Paul ENG

Jun 1, 2011, 4:26:26 PM6/1/11

Thanks Christian. That seems to have fixed the issue.

Thomas Okken

Jun 1, 2011, 7:55:17 PM6/1/11
I've been using Thunderbird with my Yahoo mail account, using the
imap.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com for incoming and outgoing
mail. This has been working fine for quite some time, with vanilla,
unpatched Thunderbird -- but today I started noticing the same message
that Christian Riechers mentioned. Interestingly enough, the mail
client on my Android phone, which uses the same server settings, still
connects to both servers.

Cy Burnot

Jun 1, 2011, 8:11:17 PM6/1/11
Christian Riechers has written on 5/31/2011 5:18 PM:

> I'm getting the following error message when trying to access Yahoo
> Email via IMAP from TB.
> "The IMAP server does not support the selected authentication method.
> Please change the Authentication method."
> The domain is yahoo.com.

It's not using any security on the password any longer!

Cy Burnot

Jun 1, 2011, 8:22:23 PM6/1/11
Good Guy has written on 5/31/2011 8:36 PM:

This set-up now works for me.

Jeff Grossman

Jun 1, 2011, 10:25:21 PM6/1/11
On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 20:11:17 -0400, Cy Burnot <cy.b...@invalid.com>
wrote:

That's not good.

Big_Al

Jun 1, 2011, 10:38:54 PM6/1/11
Cy Burnot said this on 6/1/2011 8:22 PM:
Thanks Much. You're right, it works for me too. I was hung on POP.

Christian Riechers

Jun 2, 2011, 1:49:59 AM6/2/11

Not sure what you mean. Can you be a bit more specific?
'Connection security' is still 'SSL/TLS' here. And 'Authentication
method' was always set to 'normal password'. No change.

--
Christian

Mitchell Pangburn

Jun 2, 2011, 2:40:13 PM6/2/11
On May 31, 5:18 pm, Christian Riechers

I was having this problem to. They changed something in Thunderbird
3.1.10 that has broken Yahoo IMAP connections. I rolled back to a
previous release, specifically 3.0.10 for Mac OS X and everything
worked fine again without changing any settings. Incidentally 3.1.9
works fine in Windows 7 I haven't tried 3.1.10 yet and will skip it.
I would try 3.1.9 for Mac if someone can point me to the download link
since all I can find at Mozilla is 3.1.10.

If you have been screwing around with the settings. The IMAP server
is imap.mail.yahoo.com, port 993, connection security SSL/TLS.

Ann Watson

Jun 2, 2011, 9:56:45 PM6/2/11
I don't think it's a problem with 3.1.10 since it's been out for over a
month and I've only seen problems with Yahoo IMAP connections in the
last couple of days. Will have to re-read the whole thread.

AW

Good Guy

Jun 3, 2011, 12:51:34 AM6/3/11

Ann Watson wrote:

> I don't think it's a problem with 3.1.10 since it's been out for over a
> month and I've only seen problems with Yahoo IMAP connections in the
> last couple of days. Will have to re-read the whole thread.

It could be because Yahoo have recently upgraded their systems. their
recent blog is here:

<http://www.ymailblog.com/blog/2011/05/introducing_the_best_yahoo_mail_ever/>

It doesn't say anything about IMAP or POP but I suspect they have been
affected due to this major upgrade exercise.

Some of my yahoo accounts works fine while some with lots of messages
have slight problems from time to time. The solution is to move old
messages to different folders so that they don't have to be downloaded.

Cy Burnot

Jun 3, 2011, 4:59:06 PM6/3/11
Ann Watson has written on 6/2/2011 9:56 PM:
<snip>

> I don't think it's a problem with 3.1.10 since it's been out for over a
> month and I've only seen problems with Yahoo IMAP connections in the
> last couple of days. Will have to re-read the whole thread.
>
> AW

+1

Cy Burnot

Jun 3, 2011, 5:03:52 PM6/3/11
Good Guy has written on 6/3/2011 12:51 AM:

> Ann Watson wrote:
>
>> I don't think it's a problem with 3.1.10 since it's been out for over a
>> month and I've only seen problems with Yahoo IMAP connections in the
>> last couple of days. Will have to re-read the whole thread.
>>

> It could be because Yahoo have recently upgraded their systems. their
> recent blog is here:
>
> <http://www.ymailblog.com/blog/2011/05/introducing_the_best_yahoo_mail_ever/>
>
> It doesn't say anything about IMAP or POP but I suspect they have been
> affected due to this major upgrade exercise.

Pretty sure that the upgrades pertain only to their webmail thingy.