Change font used in main screen?

Rick

Sep 3, 2007, 2:34:58 PM9/3/07
Hi -- is there a way to change the font, or the line spacing, displayed
in the main message listing? I'd like a bit more spacing between lines
(in the main display of message headers). I'm using TB 2.0.0.6. Thanks.

Nir

Sep 3, 2007, 4:36:27 PM9/3/07

If you have mentioned about message listing pane , see
"http://tinyurl.com/yp78en" , then :

Close Thunderbird.
Goto Tb profile folder.
Open ( or create if doesn't exist ) chrome folder.
Open ( or create if doesn't exist ) userChrome.css file in your word editor.
Put this code in it :

#threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row {
/* margin-top: 5px !important; */
margin-bottom: 5px !important;
}

Save file.
Start Thunderbird.

You may change value of 'margin-bottom' from 5 to any other suitable
value if needed.

Rick

Sep 3, 2007, 6:14:47 PM9/3/07

Great, thank you. The increased line spacing as in your .JPG is exactly
what I'd like to do. But for some reason, your fix is not working. I
created a \chrome\ folder underneath
C:\...\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\. Then using Notepad I
created a file userChrome.css and inserted the code semgent you
provided. I saved the file, exited Thunderbird and came back in, but
there was no change. I changed it to 8px or 2px but no matter what I do
it doesn't change the item spacing in the message listing pane. Any
thoughts as to what I could be doing wrong? Is *margin-bottom* what we
want to be changing? Thank you.

Rick

Sep 3, 2007, 6:21:09 PM9/3/07
Sorry -- I got it!!! I was using my profile at
\AppData\Local\Thunderbird\ rather than \AppData\ROAMING\Thunderbird\.
It works perfectly! Thank you VERY MUCH!

Uh-oh -- now that I have that, can I do the same in the folder listing pane?

Nir

Sep 4, 2007, 8:18:13 AM9/4/07

Try this code :

#folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row {
margin-bottom: 2px !important;
}

Rick

Sep 5, 2007, 7:48:43 AM9/5/07

BEAUTIFUL!! Thank you very much, Nir -- your help has been greatly
appreciated.

Is there some sort of reference document that I could look at that
describes these codes? I have a feeling I'm only just getting started...

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Sep 5, 2007, 8:13:12 AM9/5/07

I think most users wish there was. Your best bet is go
visit google groups
[http://groups.google.com/advanced_search], and do a search
for userChrome.css for the groups of mozilla.support.* and
this will bring up a ton of valuable information. This is
what I did.

or Reply to Author. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Tony Mechelynck

Sep 5, 2007, 10:42:34 AM9/5/07

If there is an exhaustive reference, I haven't found it, but there is a tool
which might help, namely, the DOM Inspector.

- If you have it installed, recent versions (Fx/Tb 1.5 and later, Sm2) mention
it among your "extensions" in the addons manager
- It is packaged with some distros of (at least) Firefox and SeaMonkey
- If you haven't got it, you can get it at addons.mozilla.org -- just search
for "DOM Inspector".

It gives you a point-and-click tool and a tree display to find out all
elements in a given "content" or "chrome" page, with their element, ID and
class names. That, and a good paper book about CSS, and you're in business.

Then you may also want to check the developer.mozilla.org wiki (aka Devmo or
MDC) for details about the Gecko implementation of CSS, and the Mozilla
proprietary extensions which the standard (and probably your book) don't
cover, but which work in userC*.css

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Man, n.:
An animal so lost in rapturous contemplation of what he thinks

Message has been deleted