2.0.0.16 update failed

Jeffrey Kaplan

Jul 24, 2008, 3:30:11 PM7/24/08
TBird 2.0.0.14 alerted me that the ....16 update has been downloaded as
was ready to install, so I let it. And got caught in an endless loop.
A prompt came up saying that some files could not be updated and to
make sure that I have permission to modify them, and that nothing else
is running. BTDT, no change. Clicking the OK button results in it
trying again and popping the same error. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The only way to break the loop was to kill the process via a task
manager.

Rebooting the computer did not make any difference.

I had to kill the process, uninstall TBird and reinstall 2.0.0.14 just
to get my email working again.

WinXP Pro SP2, using an admin level login. There were ZERO alerts from
my AV or firewall during any of this, and they are configured to alert
on suspicious activity or if they take any actions on their own.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #197.
I will explain to my Legions of Terror that guns are ranged weapons
and swords are not. Anyone who attempts to throw a sword at the hero
or club him with a gun will be summarily executed.

Ron K.

Jul 24, 2008, 4:01:10 PM7/24/08
Jeffrey Kaplan keyboarded, On 7/24/2008 3:30 PM :

> TBird 2.0.0.14 alerted me that the ....16 update has been downloaded as
> was ready to install, so I let it. And got caught in an endless loop.
> A prompt came up saying that some files could not be updated and to
> make sure that I have permission to modify them, and that nothing else
> is running. BTDT, no change. Clicking the OK button results in it
> trying again and popping the same error. Lather, rinse, repeat.
>
> The only way to break the loop was to kill the process via a task
> manager.
>
> Rebooting the computer did not make any difference.
>
> I had to kill the process, uninstall TBird and reinstall 2.0.0.14 just
> to get my email working again.
>
> WinXP Pro SP2, using an admin level login. There were ZERO alerts from
> my AV or firewall during any of this, and they are configured to alert
> on suspicious activity or if they take any actions on their own.

If you have a Logitech Webcam, disable it. Would help if you quoted mor
eof the Error message as frequently it names the shared file that has
been flagged open by another application.

--
Ron K.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Jul 24, 2008, 4:30:33 PM7/24/08
Previously on mozilla.support.thunderbird, Ron K. said:

> If you have a Logitech Webcam, disable it. Would help if you quoted mor

I do have one.

> eof the Error message as frequently it names the shared file that has
> been flagged open by another application.

No file names were mentioned.

Since the plain re-install of 2.0.0.14 worked, would a plain full
install of 2.0.0.16 over my current setup also work? (with or without
removing 2.0.0.14 first, since the uninstall leaves my data, settings
and extensions in place)

Ron K.

Jul 24, 2008, 5:29:38 PM7/24/08
Jeffrey Kaplan keyboarded, On 7/24/2008 4:30 PM :

> Previously on mozilla.support.thunderbird, Ron K. said:
>

>> If you have a Logitech Webcam, disable it. Would help if you quoted mor
>>

> I do have one.
>

>> eof the Error message as frequently it names the shared file that has
>> been flagged open by another application.
>>

> No file names were mentioned.
>
> Since the plain re-install of 2.0.0.14 worked, would a plain full
> install of 2.0.0.16 over my current setup also work? (with or without
> removing 2.0.0.14 first, since the uninstall leaves my data, settings
> and extensions in place)

Normally a full install can be done over a prior install. I consider an
exception a case of 1.5.x upgrading to 2.0.0.16, then an uninstall of
the old would be a precautionary.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Jul 24, 2008, 6:09:54 PM7/24/08
Previously on mozilla.support.thunderbird, Jeffrey Kaplan said:

> Since the plain re-install of 2.0.0.14 worked, would a plain full

I think I need to retract that... TBird is now freezing up on me
regularly.

Four times in the past two hours.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Jul 24, 2008, 6:10:50 PM7/24/08
Previously on mozilla.support.thunderbird, Ron K. said:

> Normally a full install can be done over a prior install. I consider an
> exception a case of 1.5.x upgrading to 2.0.0.16, then an uninstall of
> the old would be a precautionary.

So, do you think installing 2.0.0.16 from the full installer over my
current setup will work?

John Spence

Jul 24, 2008, 7:02:36 PM7/24/08
Jeffrey Kaplan scribbled the following on 24-Jul-08 17:09:

> Previously on mozilla.support.thunderbird, Jeffrey Kaplan said:
>
>> Since the plain re-install of 2.0.0.14 worked, would a plain full
>
> I think I need to retract that... TBird is now freezing up on me
> regularly.
>
> Four times in the past two hours.

I, too, am getting "not responding" messages with 2.0.0.16, including
one in the middle of this reply.

Steve

Jul 25, 2008, 9:25:43 AM7/25/08
Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> TBird 2.0.0.14 alerted me that the ....16 update has been downloaded as
> was ready to install, so I let it. And got caught in an endless loop.
> A prompt came up saying that some files could not be updated and to
> make sure that I have permission to modify them, and that nothing else
> is running. BTDT, no change. Clicking the OK button results in it
> trying again and popping the same error. Lather, rinse, repeat.
>
> The only way to break the loop was to kill the process via a task
> manager.
>
> Rebooting the computer did not make any difference.
>
> I had to kill the process, uninstall TBird and reinstall 2.0.0.14 just
> to get my email working again.
>
> WinXP Pro SP2, using an admin level login. There were ZERO alerts from
> my AV or firewall during any of this, and they are configured to alert
> on suspicious activity or if they take any actions on their own.

Download new version. Uninstall previous version. Reboot. Install new
version. This worked for me.

Steve

jonn...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2008, 11:21:04 AM7/25/08
> Steve- Hide quoted text -

This worked for me too.... until a couple days went by and I was asked
to update again. I terminated the Quickcam.exe in System Processes
and the update worked perfectly.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Jul 25, 2008, 12:28:55 PM7/25/08
Previously on mozilla.support.thunderbird, jonn...@gmail.com said:

> This worked for me too.... until a couple days went by and I was asked
> to update again. I terminated the Quickcam.exe in System Processes
> and the update worked perfectly.

I'll try it with killing quickcam first, thanks.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that
matter." - Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.

ainis....@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2008, 5:04:11 AM7/26/08
On Jul 25, 1:02 am, John Spence <jespenc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeffrey Kaplan scribbled the following  on 24-Jul-08 17:09:> Previously on mozilla.support.thunderbird, Jeffrey Kaplan said:
>
> >> Since the plain re-install of 2.0.0.14 worked, would a plain full
>
> > I think I need to retract that... TBird is now freezing up on me
> > regularly.
>
> > Four times in the past two hours.
>
> I, too, am getting "not responding" messages with2.0.0.16, including

> one in the middle of this reply.

My update fails too! I get Fail to write c:\Program Files\Mozilla
Thunderbird\mozMapi32.dll!? I have no "Program Files" in Vista???

Ken Whiton

Jul 26, 2008, 5:39:06 AM7/26/08
*-* On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, at 02:04:11 -0700 (PDT),
*-* In Article
2950ba67-3a11-4e75...@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com,
*-* ainis....@gmail.com wrote
*-* About Re: 2.0.0.16 update failed

Shut down your Logitech webcam, do the install, and then restart
the webcam.

Ken Whiton

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenw...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

Brian austin

Jul 26, 2008, 8:14:11 PM7/26/08
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org
I find that rename c:\program files\mozilla thunderbird\ [mozmapi.dll
mozproxy.dll] fixes it.

cheers

Stephen Fox

Jul 27, 2008, 11:21:15 AM7/27/08
Ron K. wrote:
> Jeffrey Kaplan keyboarded, On 7/24/2008 3:30 PM :
>> TBird 2.0.0.14 alerted me that the ....16 update has been downloaded as
>> was ready to install, so I let it. And got caught in an endless loop.
>> A prompt came up saying that some files could not be updated and to
>> make sure that I have permission to modify them, and that nothing else
>> is running. BTDT, no change. Clicking the OK button results in it
>> trying again and popping the same error. Lather, rinse, repeat.
>>
>> The only way to break the loop was to kill the process via a task
>> manager.
>>
>> Rebooting the computer did not make any difference.
>>
>> I had to kill the process, uninstall TBird and reinstall 2.0.0.14 just
>> to get my email working again.
>>
>> WinXP Pro SP2, using an admin level login. There were ZERO alerts from
>> my AV or firewall during any of this, and they are configured to alert
>> on suspicious activity or if they take any actions on their own.
>>

> If you have a Logitech Webcam, disable it. Would help if you quoted mor
> eof the Error message as frequently it names the shared file that has
> been flagged open by another application.

I had exactly the same problem as Kaplan with the update. I had to do
it manually because the auto update didn't work. Then I got Kaplan's
loop, but it finally resolved itself, probably after I rebooted. And I
did have a Logitech web cam at the time.

Steve