Pissed off with TBird 3.1.3

RF

Sep 10, 2010, 12:48:58 AM9/10/10
What is the easiest way to return to some TBird version of 2.x.x?

Thanks

Timo Pietilä

Sep 10, 2010, 1:47:48 AM9/10/10
RF wrote:
> What is the easiest way to return to some TBird version of 2.x.x?

Uninstall TB3, install TB2.

Timo Pietilä

Mike Easter

Sep 10, 2010, 2:10:45 AM9/10/10
RF wrote:
> What is the easiest way to return to some TBird version of 2.x.x?

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/all-older-2.0.html
Download Thunderbird 2 - Please note that Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 is the
last planned security and stability release of Thunderbird 2.0.

--
Mike Easter

Jay Garcia

Sep 10, 2010, 7:35:09 AM9/10/10

Sep 10, 2010, 11:26:30 AM9/10/10
Timo Pietilä wrote:
> RF wrote:
>> What is the easiest way to return to some TBird version of 2.x.x?
>
> Uninstall TB3, install TB2.

Plus follow the instructions in
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an_old_version_of_Thunderbird#From_3.x_to_2.0.0.23
It is handy if you want to get rid of the Smart Folders account.

Another way of solving the way to get rid of Smart Folders is to edit
the prefs.js file in your profile. When you have found the server number
for this account, change its type from "none" to "pop3", then the Smart
Folders account can be deleted via the normal Tools > Account Settings menu.

I wonder why this procedure cannot be found via the official Thunderbird
FAQ page? It seems to be one of the most common questions asked.

--
th

A happy user back on TB2.0.0.24.

Ron Hunter

Sep 10, 2010, 7:42:46 PM9/10/10
Possibly because the FAQ page is oriented toward SOLVING problems,
rather than just reverting to an older version. It seems to me that for
most users, ANY problem is an excuse to revert to an older program
version. For those users, my suggestion is to turn off updating, and
update checking, and cruise along happily until the world moves on so
far that the software no longer works. Of course, then the updating
will be REALLY painful.

Message has been deleted

goodwin

Sep 11, 2010, 12:08:42 AM9/11/10
On 09/10/2010 08:27 PM RF scribbled:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 09.09.2010 23:48, RF wrote:

so now you're pissed of with who?
at yourself for not seting up correctly or with Tbird for not reading
your mind?

RF

Sep 11, 2010, 1:38:38 AM9/11/10
On 9/10/2010 9:08 PM, goodwin wrote:
> [...]

Here is another example. I just clicked Reply to your post and got the
above 2 lines. Does that seem right to you?

I set up ALL the accounts at the same time and the first account was the
only one that did not Send. Explain that.

RF

Sep 11, 2010, 1:44:01 AM9/11/10

My thanks to Timo, Th, Ron and Mike for your help and I hope you have a
great weekend :-)

Ralph Fox

Sep 11, 2010, 7:11:52 AM9/11/10
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 22:38:38 -0700, in message
RF wrote:

> [...]

There was a long-standing and popular request for "quote selected text"
when replying. The user selects the part of a message to which they
want to reply, and clicks "Reply". Thunderbird should quote only the
selected text when replying, instead of the whole message.

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?as_q=quote+selected+text&as_ugroup=mozilla.support.thunderbird

This request was implemented in Thunderbird 3.

So if the above was what you had selected before you clicked Reply, then
yes - that does seem right to me.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Timo Pietilä

Sep 11, 2010, 10:20:18 AM9/11/10
Ron Hunter wrote:
> On 9/10/2010 10:26 AM, th wrote:

>> I wonder why this procedure cannot be found via the official Thunderbird
>> FAQ page? It seems to be one of the most common questions asked.
>>
> Possibly because the FAQ page is oriented toward SOLVING problems,
> rather than just reverting to an older version. It seems to me that for
> most users, ANY problem is an excuse to revert to an older program
> version.

If the problem is the program design, then only option is to move the
older version without those design flaws or to the totally different
program. FAQ can't solve those.

To me major problems why I'm not using TB 3.1 right now is bug in
spellchecker which prevents me from using Finnish spellchecker properly
and the fact that it really didn't bring any real improvements to the
UI, instead it removed one very important one: collapsed headers (I
know, there is an add-on that provides that basic UI functionality, but
because it is an add-on I can't rely for it to work in all upgrades).

I think Mozillamessaging dropped that part of the UI because they didn't
want to do any work related to it, so I think that it is also designed
to deliberately break voikko-spellchecker-engine because it isn't TB
internal spellchecker. Reduced functionality in core engine. Just like
collapsed headers -feature.

There are few very nice features in TB 3.1 like ability to quote
selected text and more filters in newsgroups but they don't overweight
the lack of those features it lost during transition from TB2 to TB3.x.
(and before you mention tabs and search, I don't want tabs and search in
TB2 is more than enough for me).

Timo Pietilä

th

Sep 11, 2010, 3:47:26 PM9/11/10
Upgrading to a new version just because it is new is not a good
argument. Just look at Windows Vista.

Actually I think that most people simply want to have a piece of
software that works and they don't want to fiddle around with starting
in safe mode, deleting profile files or editing prefs.js files to get
their software operational. With the speed that TB seems to be improving
right now it looks like a good idea to wait with the upgrade until
3.1.20 or something is available. The only thing I'm missing after
reverting is the Shift+c combination to mark all posts as read. This
function was there already in Netscape and I somebody must have been
really unlucky in his/her thinking when changing to the awkward
Ctrl+Shift+c combination.

One thing I have noted since the introduction of TB3.x is that when you
now open the news.mozilla.org server the number of new posts in the
mozilla.support.thunderbird group almost always exceed the number of new
posts in the mozilla.support.firefox group. My feeling is that for a
number of years this has always been the opposite (except for about one
one week after each new major release). I have no real statistics that
support my feeling but it could be some indication that there is
something wrong somewhere.

Is such statistics available somewhere?

--
th

Jay Garcia

Sep 11, 2010, 3:56:46 PM9/11/10
On 11.09.2010 14:47, th wrote:

> Upgrading to a new version just because it is new is not a good
> argument. Just look at Windows Vista.

Shhh, my clients may hear that!!! :-)

Seriously, upgrading to a new version may be suggested depending on the
nature of the upgrade, ie., Security upgrade for instance. But then
again, the update from TB 2.x to 3.x wasn't a security upgrade for the
most part but rather feature and functionality.

> Actually I think that most people simply want to have a piece of
> software that works and they don't want to fiddle around with starting
> in safe mode, deleting profile files or editing prefs.js files to get
> their software operational. With the speed that TB seems to be improving
> right now it looks like a good idea to wait with the upgrade until
> 3.1.20 or something is available. The only thing I'm missing after
> reverting is the Shift+c combination to mark all posts as read. This
> function was there already in Netscape and I somebody must have been
> really unlucky in his/her thinking when changing to the awkward
> Ctrl+Shift+c combination.
>
> One thing I have noted since the introduction of TB3.x is that when you
> now open the news.mozilla.org server the number of new posts in the
> mozilla.support.thunderbird group almost always exceed the number of new
> posts in the mozilla.support.firefox group. My feeling is that for a
> number of years this has always been the opposite (except for about one
> one week after each new major release). I have no real statistics that
> support my feeling but it could be some indication that there is
> something wrong somewhere.
>
> Is such statistics available somewhere?

I think you have to look at the posts/replies themselves to see why one
is posted to more often, etc.

Ron Hunter

Sep 11, 2010, 4:40:20 PM9/11/10
Still, much support switched from Windows XP to Vista when MS made that
change, and support for WinXP began to be reduced by just about
everyone. I skipped Vista, mainly because I didn't buy any new
computers during that time, but now have two Win7 computers, and a
Netbook that uses WinXP. They all work great.

> Actually I think that most people simply want to have a piece of
> software that works and they don't want to fiddle around with starting
> in safe mode, deleting profile files or editing prefs.js files to get
> their software operational. With the speed that TB seems to be improving
> right now it looks like a good idea to wait with the upgrade until
> 3.1.20 or something is available. The only thing I'm missing after
> reverting is the Shift+c combination to mark all posts as read. This
> function was there already in Netscape and I somebody must have been
> really unlucky in his/her thinking when changing to the awkward
> Ctrl+Shift+c combination.

I agree that Ctrl+shift+C was clumbsy. But that is FAR from the only
advantage to TB3.1.3.

> One thing I have noted since the introduction of TB3.x is that when you
> now open the news.mozilla.org server the number of new posts in the
> mozilla.support.thunderbird group almost always exceed the number of new
> posts in the mozilla.support.firefox group. My feeling is that for a
> number of years this has always been the opposite (except for about one
> one week after each new major release). I have no real statistics that
> support my feeling but it could be some indication that there is
> something wrong somewhere.
>
> Is such statistics available somewhere?

ANY new release causes message traffic to increase. Just wait until
Firefox 4.0 is released and watch the message traffic there. There are
SO MANY new things added that it will be a madhouse on the Firefox
support newsgroup.

Still, one can stay with old software, or hardware, until things just
won't work any more, but then the change becomes that much more difficult.
You pays your money, and you takes your chances.

BillW50

Sep 11, 2010, 5:00:25 PM9/11/10
On 9/11/2010 3:40 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> ANY new release causes message traffic to increase. Just wait until
> Firefox 4.0 is released and watch the message traffic there. There are
> SO MANY new things added that it will be a madhouse on the Firefox
> support newsgroup.
>
> Still, one can stay with old software, or hardware, until things just
> won't work any more, but then the change becomes that much more difficult.
> You pays your money, and you takes your chances.

Hehehe... I have been working with computers for over 35 years. And what
I did in the early days was to grab every new release that was available.

Although now that I am older, I let the younger people to be the guinea
pigs. ;-)

--
Bill
Thunderbird Portable 3.0 (20091130)

Timo Pietilä

Sep 11, 2010, 5:23:50 PM9/11/10
Ron Hunter wrote:

> Possibly because the FAQ page is oriented toward SOLVING problems,

My answer to this disappeared. Moderator being trigger-happy?

Moderator, if you removed my message I would really like to hear the
reason for it. It was on topic (Pissed off with TBird 3.1.3) even
explaining reasons why people might not want to upgrade.

Timo Pietilä

Jay Garcia

Sep 11, 2010, 5:33:19 PM9/11/10
On 11.09.2010 16:23, Timo Pietilä wrote:

> What is the easiest way to return to some TBird version of 2.x.x?

Uninstall TB3, install TB2.

Timo Pietilä

Still there, check your view settings, etc. :-)

Timo Pietilä

Sep 11, 2010, 5:35:00 PM9/11/10
Reposting in case disappearance of this was a bug somewhere, and not
moderator being trigger-happy. And even if it was.

Ron Hunter wrote:
> On 9/10/2010 10:26 AM, th wrote:

>> I wonder why this procedure cannot be found via the official Thunderbird
>> FAQ page? It seems to be one of the most common questions asked.
>>

> Possibly because the FAQ page is oriented toward SOLVING problems,

> rather than just reverting to an older version. It seems to me that for
> most users, ANY problem is an excuse to revert to an older program
> version.

If the problem is the program design, then only option is to move the

older version without those design flaws or to the totally different
program. FAQ can't solve those.

To me major problems why I'm not using TB 3.1 right now is bug in
spellchecker which prevents me from using Finnish spellchecker properly
and the fact that it really didn't bring any real improvements to the
UI, instead it removed one very important one: collapsed headers (I
know, there is an add-on that provides that basic UI functionality, but
because it is an add-on I can't rely for it to work in all upgrades).

I think Mozillamessaging dropped that part of the UI because they didn't
want to do any work related to it,

(EDIT: I can actually prove this, just read the discussion in relevant
bugzilla bug)

Timo Pietilä

Sep 11, 2010, 5:36:19 PM9/11/10
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 11.09.2010 16:23, Timo Pietilä wrote:

No, not that one.

Timo Pietilä

RF

Sep 11, 2010, 10:44:25 PM9/11/10

OK, Timo, I think it's time to do it.

Do I just first uninstall TB3 and then replace it
with TB2? It would be
helpful if I could transfer some of the data to
TB2. Should I copy some
folders and try to get the data that is in TB3 now
into TB2?
Or would that be pure magic?

TIA

Ken Whiton

Sep 12, 2010, 3:46:26 AM9/12/10
*-* On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, at 19:44:25 -0700,
*-* In Article <sLednRpp0r3MoxHR...@mozilla.org>,
*-* RF wrote
*-* About Re: Pissed off with TBird 3.1.3

> Timo Pietilä wrote:
>> RF wrote:
>>> What is the easiest way to return to some TBird version of 2.x.x?
>
>> Uninstall TB3, install TB2.
>

> OK, Timo, I think it's time to do it.

Your "User-Agent:" header (quoted above) indicates that you
posted this with TB2. Do you have multiple machines, with TB2 on
one/some and TB3 on the other(s)?

> Do I just first uninstall TB3 and then replace it with TB2?

Yes. Back up your profile first, just to be on the safe side.

> It would
> be helpful if I could transfer some of the data to TB2. Should I
> copy some folders and try to get the data that is in TB3 now into
> TB2? Or would that be pure magic?

Uninstalling TB doesn't do anything to the profile. The
newly-installed TB2 should find and use the TB3 profile with just one
possible annoyance. If you have used the "Unified Folders" view in
TB3 you'll probably find an "untouchable" Unified Folders "account" in
the TB2 folder pane. To remove it:

Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> [General tab]

Click on the "Config Editor..." button.

Filter on "mail.server.server" (without the quotation marks).

Locate the mail.server.server# named Unifiedfolder, and change its
.type preference from "none" to "pop3" (Right-click on it and select
"Modify" from the drop-down menu.).

Close the Config Editor, which will save the change.

Tools --> Account Settings

Select the "Unified Folder" "account" and "Remove Account".

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenw...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

Ron Hunter

Sep 12, 2010, 4:26:11 AM9/12/10
Since TB2 and TB3 use the same profile data, you don't need to do
anything to get your TB3 files to work in TB2.

th

Sep 12, 2010, 6:06:38 AM9/12/10
Just one more comment about "solving" problems. Reverting to an older
version could be the best way to solve the problem for the _user_. and I
think that FAQs should be oriented towards solving problems for the user
rather than for the developer. Again, take the example with Windows
Vista. Myself and some people I know reverted to XP after some time of
trouble and luckily we were able to, in time, persuade others not to
upgrade. Most of us are now rather happy users with Win dows7, without
any painful updating. Microsoft has also realized the user needs and
offers Windows XP as a Virtual PC under Windows7 just because otherwise
a lot of people simply cannot upgrade without being forced to spend
significant effort (and thus cost if you are an enterprise).

Maybe it's best to do the same thing with TB, skip TB3 and hope that TB4
will cause less problems and hope that TB4 has a TB2 compatible mode :-)

--
th

Ralph Fox

Sep 12, 2010, 7:57:38 AM9/12/10
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 19:44:25 -0700, in message
RF wrote:

For most things, that will work.
There are a few potential issues, which may or may not affect you.
Read this entry in the Mozillazine database
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an_old_version_of_Thunderbird

--
Regards
Ralph

Ralph Fox

Sep 12, 2010, 8:06:33 AM9/12/10
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 03:26:11 -0500, in message
Ron Hunter wrote:

> Since TB2 and TB3 use the same profile data

TB2 and TB3 store the passwords in different files, according to the
Mozillazine Knowledgebase.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an_old_version_of_Thunderbird

Also note "6. If you ever selected Smart Folders in 3.x". This may not
apply to the OP, but might apply to others reading this thread.

--
Regards
Ralph

Ron Hunter

Sep 12, 2010, 9:39:30 AM9/12/10
I am way to old to think about waiting for a TB4. TB 3.1.3 is working
pretty well for me, at this point. I still have some annoying quirks,
but nothing really serious. Now if they would just fix that annoying
preference for IMAP setups, even if the ISP doesn't OFFER it.... sigh.

Message has been deleted

RF

Sep 12, 2010, 10:47:32 AM9/12/10

Would you believe it, this idiot program now deletes all drafts of
emails. It waits for me to open TBird, then shows the message about
deleting the draft!!!

Message has been deleted

kevin brunt

Sep 12, 2010, 4:16:10 PM9/12/10

> Uninstall TB3, install TB2.

I just installed it on top of TB 3.1.3 (no need to uninstall
anything) and it worked. Version 2 is very fast and it doesn't
wait to "think" what to do if a mouse is clicked! It looks like
Mozilla Foundation people are copying everything Microsoft because
IE 8 is also very slow and very much like TB 3.1.3. It is a sad
world when Microsoft and Google controls the world! Terry Jones
(that odd ball pastor) should have done something dramatic to make
life interesting!.

RF

Sep 13, 2010, 12:40:30 AM9/13/10

I just uninstalled the TBird 3.x and reinstalled
the 2.0.0.24 - a 2 minute job.
Astonishingly all the accounts and contents are
just as before.

Thanks again guys for your very considerable help.

PS, it seems that TBird 3.x has its revenge. I
can't get online now :-(

Ralph Fox

Sep 13, 2010, 8:25:54 AM9/13/10
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 07:47:32 -0700, in message
RF wrote:

> Would you believe it, this idiot program now deletes all drafts of
> emails. It waits for me to open TBird, then shows the message about
> deleting the draft!!!

No such problem here. There is a 3-month old message in my Drafts folder.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

RF

Sep 13, 2010, 2:32:11 PM9/13/10

I'm happily back to TBird 2.x Ralph, where I never had drafts being
wiped by the prog.

Thanks again for your comments :-)

Chris Ilias

Sep 13, 2010, 2:58:57 PM9/13/10

I'm the moderator, and I have not removed any of your messages. A couple
of my messages have not shown up here either, but I've seen others reply
to them. I'm not sure what's going on.
Screenshot: <http://ilias.ca/screenshots/missingmessage.png>

If I open a new Thunderbird profile, then subscribe to the newsgroup, my
message appears in the new profile. However quite a few people have been
experiencing this for the past week. Perhaps one of Giganews' servers
are not being updated?

Cross-posting this to mozilla.dev.mozilla-org, where server issues are
discussed.

Mark Banner

Sep 14, 2010, 3:06:35 AM9/14/10
On 11/09/2010 22:35, Timo Pietilä wrote:
> To me major problems why I'm not using TB 3.1 right now is bug in
> spellchecker which prevents me from using Finnish spellchecker properly

Is that bug posted somewhere? I couldn't see one.

> and the fact that it really didn't bring any real improvements to the
> UI, instead it removed one very important one: collapsed headers (I
> know, there is an add-on that provides that basic UI functionality, but
> because it is an add-on I can't rely for it to work in all upgrades).

Add-on compatibility is always maintained for a specific major release -
therefore *any* 3.1.x release will work with the collapsed headers
add-on. A 3.2 release might not, but it should not stop you upgrading to
3.1.

> I think Mozillamessaging dropped that part of the UI because they didn't
> want to do any work related to it,
>
> (EDIT: I can actually prove this, just read the discussion in relevant
> bugzilla bug)

That's not the whole truth. We removed that part because the existing
message header was getting very complex and very easy to break. The
collapsed header part was another significant part of the complexity.

Additionally, we wanted to make it extensible and encourage extensions
to try out new formats.

> so I think that it is also designed to deliberately break
> voikko-spellchecker-engine because it isn't TB internal spellchecker.
> Reduced functionality in core engine. Just like collapsed headers -feature.

So you're saying because MoMo removed support for collapsed headers,
then MoMo also stopped a variant of the spell checker working? You can
believe that if you want, but I can tell you that the spell checker is
core code shared with Firefox and not even owned by MoMo. Collapsed
headers was a feature removal - a regression in support of the spell
checker is probably just something someone missed.

Standard8

Timo Pietilä

Sep 14, 2010, 4:33:25 AM9/14/10
Mark Banner wrote:
> On 11/09/2010 22:35, Timo Pietilä wrote:
>> To me major problems why I'm not using TB 3.1 right now is bug in
>> spellchecker which prevents me from using Finnish spellchecker properly
>
> Is that bug posted somewhere? I couldn't see one.

It's somewhere in bugzilla. I'll dig it out.

>> so I think that it is also designed to deliberately break
>> voikko-spellchecker-engine because it isn't TB internal spellchecker.
>> Reduced functionality in core engine. Just like collapsed headers
>> -feature.
>
> So you're saying because MoMo removed support for collapsed headers,
> then MoMo also stopped a variant of the spell checker working?

Not because but for same reason.

> You can
> believe that if you want, but I can tell you that the spell checker is
> core code shared with Firefox and not even owned by MoMo.

This is TB-specific problem, because in FF it works just fine.

To be more specific actual spell checking works, but UI for changing
languages is broken. That leads to every word underlined if you happened
to have wrong language selected when you started to write a message, and
no way to change it during writing.

In fact it works better in FF than it works even in TB2. When you write
something in FF it gives you chance to switch languages by right mouse
click above the field, TB doesn't.

(for some reason I do see right-click language choice in subject-line,
but not in message field)

Timo Pietilä

Mark Banner

Sep 14, 2010, 7:58:07 AM9/14/10
On 14/09/2010 09:33, Timo Pietilä wrote:
>>> so I think that it is also designed to deliberately break
>>> voikko-spellchecker-engine because it isn't TB internal spellchecker.
>>> Reduced functionality in core engine. Just like collapsed headers
>>> -feature.
>>
>> So you're saying because MoMo removed support for collapsed headers,
>> then MoMo also stopped a variant of the spell checker working?
>
> Not because but for same reason.

Huh? I really don't understand how you draw those conclusions.
Especially when I see the issue now I've read the bits below.

>> You can believe that if you want, but I can tell you that the spell
>> checker is core code shared with Firefox and not even owned by MoMo.
>
> This is TB-specific problem, because in FF it works just fine.
>
> To be more specific actual spell checking works, but UI for changing
> languages is broken. That leads to every word underlined if you happened
> to have wrong language selected when you started to write a message, and
> no way to change it during writing.

Okay, so now I see the issue - Finnish/Finland is present in the
right-click menu and the spell check window, but not on the "Spell"
button drop-down.

That really is just a bug in whatever changes were made in the spell
checking code going from 2.x to 3.x. Looking at what's there it is a
kinda semi-duplicate from the core code, so I wouldn't be surprised if
something got missed, and replacing it with the core code may be possible.

This certainly isn't an issue of intentionally dropping support for
something due to complexity though.

Standard8

Timo Pietilä

Sep 14, 2010, 3:05:14 PM9/14/10
Mark Banner wrote:
> On 14/09/2010 09:33, Timo Pietilä wrote:

>> To be more specific actual spell checking works, but UI for changing
>> languages is broken.

> That really is just a bug

> This certainly isn't an issue of intentionally dropping support for
> something due to complexity though.

Good to hear. You tend to get a bit paranoid when you drop support for
something like collapsed header in core code, because it was "too hard"
to maintain. You start to think that everything else that is not working
is also dropped because it was "too hard" to maintain.

I still don't quite understand what "existing message header was getting
very complex" means? Headers are headers, From: -field is not optional,
timestamp is defined format etc. It was not going to change to anything,
so how could it be getting very complex? You still show all that and
then some.

This new one with buttons is a bad design. It makes that area of the UI
very bloated, which is bad especially for small laptops. To fix you need
to be able to get rid of those buttons, and that, if made optional,
could be complex. If you mean that, my vote would be to restore old,
less complex header area with no buttons and ability to collapse it to
single line instead of making it optional. Just get rid of that bloated
button panel.

I mean, just look at it in small laptop. Take some friend minilaptop if
you don't own one. It is _bad_ design. Very bad. Gives a very bad image
for TB UI design. If you are going to keep buttons in that area you need
to make them a lot smaller. A. Lot. Smaller.

I'd prefer to have that button-one as extension, not the other way around.

Timo Pietilä

Mark Banner

Sep 14, 2010, 5:28:51 PM9/14/10
On 14/09/2010 20:05, Timo Pietilä wrote:
> I still don't quite understand what "existing message header was getting
> very complex" means? Headers are headers, From: -field is not optional,
> timestamp is defined format etc. It was not going to change to anything,
> so how could it be getting very complex? You still show all that and
> then some.

Whilst it may look simple, the code to maintain the message header, in
the correct layout with the correct data/menus/displays/additional
headers when necessary/etc is actually quite complex.

> This new one with buttons is a bad design.

That's a matter of opinion. However it is also why we offer customisability.

Standard8

Timo Pietilä

Sep 14, 2010, 6:23:18 PM9/14/10
Mark Banner wrote:
> On 14/09/2010 20:05, Timo Pietilä wrote:
>> I still don't quite understand what "existing message header was getting
>> very complex" means? Headers are headers, From: -field is not optional,
>> timestamp is defined format etc. It was not going to change to anything,
>> so how could it be getting very complex? You still show all that and
>> then some.
>
> Whilst it may look simple, the code to maintain the message header, in
> the correct layout with the correct data/menus/displays/additional
> headers when necessary/etc is actually quite complex.

Yes, but you are still doing it. And it isn't changing so once done what
maintenance is there? What exactly was the complex part that did have to
be left out? That collapsing part?

>> This new one with buttons is a bad design.
>
> That's a matter of opinion. However it is also why we offer
> customisability.

You can't get rid of those buttons in header panel. There's no
customisability there. It's just bloats.

Anyway you could at least make those buttons smaller and put them all in
same line. That could reduce the wasted space quite a bit to make it
actually useful to have them there.

Timo Pietilä

Mark Banner

Sep 15, 2010, 4:10:39 AM9/15/10
On 14/09/2010 23:23, Timo Pietilä wrote:
>> That's a matter of opinion. However it is also why we offer
>> customisability.
>
> You can't get rid of those buttons in header panel. There's no
> customisability there. It's just bloats.

I think you haven't tested Thunderbird 3.1 in detail. The customisation
option for the header panel was added in 3.1.

Standard8

Timo Pietilä

Sep 15, 2010, 5:37:24 AM9/15/10

Really? D*mn, must have missed that one. That is a great addition.

Timo Pietilä

DucDigital

Sep 15, 2010, 8:55:31 AM9/15/10
More problems come up since TB3....

I post a thread about mine. Check it out. TB3 is totally crap.

http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.thunderbird/browse_thread/thread/8a52c1db0535af44#

WLS

Sep 15, 2010, 9:38:51 AM9/15/10

Right click next to the buttons, select customize, drag and drop the
ones you don't want back to the customize toolbar window.

WLS

Chris Ilias

Sep 15, 2010, 12:48:49 PM9/15/10

Folks,
Let's not turn this thread into a "If you have any issue with
Thunderbird 3.1.3 post here" thread. If you need help start a new
thread. If you want to complain, use
<http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging>.
Thanks.

--