Emoticons

Liz

Apr 13, 2007, 5:17:57 AM4/13/07
Hi

Have just changed over to Thunderbird for my email client and would like
to know how to insert emoticons in newsgroups postings?
I see the symbols when composing emails but they disappear when I am in
the NGs section.
Could someone please advise as to how to turn these on?

Thanks

Liz

Klaas Visser

Apr 13, 2007, 5:51:12 AM4/13/07
On 13-Apr-07 19:17 (+1000 UTC), *Liz* posted:

If you're using plain text display, you need to go to Tools | Options |
Display, and check the box marked Display emoticons as graphics, and you
should see a smiley face here :)

--
Klaas Visser
Sydney, Australia

"Always and never are two words you
should always remember never to use."

Herb

Apr 13, 2007, 6:12:19 AM4/13/07
On 13.04.2007 10:51 UK Time, Klaas Visser wrote:

> If you're using plain text display, you need to go to Tools | Options |
> Display, and check the box marked Display emoticons as graphics, and you
> should see a smiley face here :)

But unfortunately not during composition :-(

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Moz Champion (Dan)

Apr 13, 2007, 6:35:45 AM4/13/07
Herb wrote:
> On 13.04.2007 10:51 UK Time, Klaas Visser wrote:
>
>> If you're using plain text display, you need to go to Tools | Options
>> | Display, and check the box marked Display emoticons as graphics,
>> and you should see a smiley face here :)
>
> But unfortunately not during composition :-(

Ah, you haven't been listening <g>

Here is how to include emoticons, easily and using the built in emoticon
(smiley) menu in Thunderbird.

Compose in HTML mode (!) that's right HTML
You have a Smiley (Emoticon) menu right there :-)
You add them as you wish :-P

Now, when you send, simply send in Plain Text only

The emoticons (smileys) will come thru because all they are is text anyway

An emoticon enabled reader (like Thunderbird) will put them back into
graphical mode when it displays them.

This message was done that way, but since it will be sent in plain text
alone, you wont be able to see any difference

Frobozz

Apr 13, 2007, 7:25:40 AM4/13/07
Moz Champion (Dan) said the following:

> Here is how to include emoticons, easily and using the built in
> emoticon (smiley) menu in Thunderbird.
>
> Compose in HTML mode (!) that's right HTML
> You have a Smiley (Emoticon) menu right there :-) You add them
> as you wish :-P
>
> Now, when you send, simply send in Plain Text only

Wow =-O ... for more than a year I have had everything set to Plain-Text
Only :-!. Thanks a lot for passing on this handy tip. Now it's FUN to
write even if, for safety, I send it out in Text Only 8-)

I am noticing however that my "Sig Line" is all one run-on sentence
now:'( and will have to see how it winds up on the NG server ...

-- Frobozz Macbook Pro 2.16 Core-Duo OS/X 10.4.9 Thunderbird version
2.0.0.0 (20070326) Camino : Version 2007022813 (1.0.4) Mozilla/5.0
(Macintosh; U;Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309
Firefox/2.0.0.3

Frobozz

Apr 13, 2007, 7:37:38 AM4/13/07
I said the following:

> Wow =-O ... <<<<<---- <Confused>

and since it was sent out in Plain Text, what I see is the Emoticon now
in Plain-Text and not re-converted to HTML as I compose the reply ... OK
but I am viewing in HTML since I am replying/composing in HTML (minor
detail)

and I see the signature area _was_ all run together and remained so in
the reply ... will now try to reposition the lines correctly ...
however, note that the signature comes from a txt file brought in by the
Extension located at:
http://mozext.achimonline.de/signatureswitch_about.php

--
Frobozz Macbook Pro 2.16 Core-Duo OS/X 10.4.9
Thunderbird version 2.0.0.0 (20070326)
Camino : Version 2007022813 (1.0.4)
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U;Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309
Firefox/2.0.0.3

*Me<Me>*

Liz

Apr 13, 2007, 8:23:29 AM4/13/07

Thanks for the advise, but I had already checked the box marked Display
emoticons as graphics in Tools | Options | Display.
This still does not display the drop down emoticons to insert in the
message. I have also set to send in both text and html. What am I doing
wrong?

Liz

Chris Ilias

Apr 13, 2007, 6:15:37 PM4/13/07
On 13/04/2007 5:17 AM, _Liz_ spoke thusly:

The drop-down menu only exists when composing in HTML mode. To set your
newsgroup account to compose in HTML mode, select the account, and (in
the right pane) click on "View settings for this account". The Account
Settings window should open, with the appropriate newsgroup account
selected. In the Account Settings window, select "Composition &
Addressing" (under the appropriate account), and check mark "Compose
messages in HTML format".

Additionally, emoticons are just sequences of text characters; so if you
know the sequences, you don't need a drop-down menu.
More info: <http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/mailnewsfaq/Emoticons>
--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

JoeS

Apr 13, 2007, 6:18:55 PM4/13/07
Hi Liz,
You are probably not getting into HTML compose mode. The indicators are:
you see Format, and Insert on the Menubar (Top of composition window)
In replying to this message (which is plaintext) To get into HTML mode
hold down the shift key, while clicking on reply. But don't forget to
send in plaintext here.
;-) JoeS

Brian Heinrich

Apr 13, 2007, 10:12:48 PM4/13/07
On 2007-04-13 04:35 (-0600 UTC), Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

<snip />

> Compose in HTML mode (!) that's right HTML
> You have a Smiley (Emoticon) menu right there :-) You add them as
> you wish :-P
>
> Now, when you send, simply send in Plain Text only
>
> The emoticons (smileys) will come thru because all they are is text anyway
>
> An emoticon enabled reader (like Thunderbird) will put them back into
> graphical mode when it displays them.
>
> This message was done that way, but since it will be sent in plain text
> alone, you wont be able to see any difference

Largely, but not entirely, true.

What happens is that, in plain-text messages, you can toggle whether or not
smileys display as ASCII text or graphically. This toggle feature doesn't
exist for HTML mail, so if you send an HTML message with an inserted
emoticon, your recipient will see only the ASCII version.

If you 'insert' a smiley, you actually aren't inserting a graphic; you're
inserting a <span> that points to graphic. This means that people using
Moz/SM/Tb will see the emoticon (and, frankly, I preferred the older set . .
. but that's another matter), while those using other clients will see only
the ASCII representation.

A bit of a kludgey compromise, to be sure. . . .

--
/b.

String quartets don't march very well.
--Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

squaredancer

Apr 14, 2007, 4:26:07 AM4/14/07
On 13/04/2007 11:17, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Liz to
generate the following:? :

I was googling "Smiley" the other day (looking for the singer Moira
Smiley) and found this interesting Smiley site:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/set/smileywatertowerslist.html

Good to see that some communities still have room for humor!

reg

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Apr 14, 2007, 12:09:05 PM4/14/07

I suggest you put in as a RFE in Bugzilla a Menu choice that will drop
down with all the smiles ever created and you can click and it would
even paste the Emoticon into a plain text message being written.

I'll even let you take credit for the idea.

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com

Ken Whiton

Apr 14, 2007, 8:30:09 PM4/14/07
*-* On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 06:35:45 -0400,
*-* In Article V5SdnSg5VItgwYLb...@mozilla.org,
*-* Moz Champion (Dan) wrote
*-* About Re: Emoticons

> Here is how to include emoticons, easily and using the built in
> emoticon (smiley) menu in Thunderbird.

> Compose in HTML mode (!) that's right HTML
> You have a Smiley (Emoticon) menu right there :-) You add
> them as you wish :-P

I don't see such a menu here. Is it something that's been added
since this version [Thunderbird 1.5 (Windows/20051201)]?

Ken Whiton

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenw...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

Ken Whiton

Apr 14, 2007, 8:30:12 PM4/14/07
*-* On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:18:55 -0400,
*-* In Article a7GdnUdcw4k1nL3b...@mozilla.org,
*-* JoeS wrote
*-* About Re: Emoticons

> In replying to this message (which is plaintext) To get into HTML

> mode hold down the shift key, while clicking on reply.

I'd like to see that same capability added to forwarding. I use
HTML primarily for "cleaning up"* forwarded e-mails that I'm
forwarding on, and it would be nice to not have to burrow down into
the Tools menu to do so (and then again afterwards, to return to my
normal non-HTML setting).

* - removing included forwarded headers, umpteen generations of quote
marks, etc.

Ron K.

Apr 14, 2007, 9:07:33 PM4/14/07
On 4/14/2007 8:30 PM, Tbird Leader Ken Whiton radioed the tower to
announce:

Try holding down the shift key when you click the forward icon on the
toolbar. I believe it that will do the HTML mode toggle also.

An extension item you may be interested in is Forwardas, which adds a
drop down to the forward icon with two options, Inline and Attachment
that save digging into the Message menu. Here is the link:
<http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/index-en.html>

--
Ron K.
Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

Ken Whiton

Apr 14, 2007, 9:54:53 PM4/14/07
*-* On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 21:07:33 -0400,
*-* In Article 3M6dnebjnuoh57zb...@mozilla.org,
*-* Ron K. wrote
*-* About Re: Emoticons

> On 4/14/2007 8:30 PM, Tbird Leader Ken Whiton radioed the tower to
> announce:

>> *-* JoeS wrote

>>> In replying to this message (which is plaintext) To get into HTML
>>> mode hold down the shift key, while clicking on reply.

>> I'd like to see that same capability added to forwarding. I
>> use HTML primarily for "cleaning up"* forwarded e-mails that I'm
>> forwarding on, and it would be nice to not have to burrow down into
>> the Tools menu to do so (and then again afterwards, to return to my
>> normal non-HTML setting).

>> * - removing included forwarded headers, umpteen generations of
>> quote marks, etc.

> Try holding down the shift key when you click the forward icon on

> the toolbar. I believe it that will do the HTML mode toggle also.

I tried that several times before posting ... hoping. :-) It
didn't work. :-( If it's there, it's either an option I don't have
set or something that's been added since this version [Thunderbird 1.5
(Windows/20051201)].

> An extension item you may be interested in is Forwardas, which adds
> a drop down to the forward icon with two options, Inline and
> Attachment that save digging into the Message menu. Here is the
> link: <http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/index-en.html>

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. Most of the cleaning-up I do,
however, is done in Inline mode, so I seldom need to switch between
the two.

Brian Heinrich

Apr 15, 2007, 12:38:33 AM4/15/07
On 2007-04-14 18:30 (-0600 UTC), Ken Whiton wrote:

> *-* On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 06:35:45 -0400,
> *-* In Article V5SdnSg5VItgwYLb...@mozilla.org,
> *-* Moz Champion (Dan) wrote

<snip />

>> Compose in HTML mode (!) that's right HTML
>> You have a Smiley (Emoticon) menu right there :-) You add
>> them as you wish :-P
>
> I don't see such a menu here. Is it something that's been added
> since this version [Thunderbird 1.5 (Windows/20051201)]?

It's been there since back in the Mozilla days. You might need to expand
the width of the composition window to see it.

Brian Heinrich

Apr 15, 2007, 12:41:17 AM4/15/07
On 2007-04-14 19:54 (-0600 UTC), Ken Whiton wrote:

> *-* On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 21:07:33 -0400,
> *-* In Article 3M6dnebjnuoh57zb...@mozilla.org,
> *-* Ron K. wrote

<snip />

>> Try holding down the shift key when you click the forward icon on
>> the toolbar. I believe it that will do the HTML mode toggle also.
>
> I tried that several times before posting ... hoping. :-) It
> didn't work. :-( If it's there, it's either an option I don't have
> set or something that's been added since this version [Thunderbird 1.5
> (Windows/20051201)].

Using <Shift>+<icon-click> to toggle HTML/plain text behaviour has been
there since back in the Mozilla days. . . .

<snip />

Nir

Apr 15, 2007, 1:41:18 AM4/15/07
Ken Whiton wrote:
> *-* Moz Champion (Dan) wrote

>> Compose in HTML mode (!) that's right HTML You have a Smiley

>> (Emoticon) menu right there :-) You add them as you wish :-P

> I don't see such a menu here. Is it something that's been added
> since this version [Thunderbird 1.5 (Windows/20051201)]?

it should be looked like this "http://tinyurl.com/2aaro3"

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Apr 15, 2007, 2:52:49 AM4/15/07
Brian Heinrich wrote:
> On 2007-04-14 18:30 (-0600 UTC), Ken Whiton wrote:
>
>> *-* On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 06:35:45 -0400,
>> *-* In Article V5SdnSg5VItgwYLb...@mozilla.org,
>> *-* Moz Champion (Dan) wrote
>
> <snip />
>
>>> Compose in HTML mode (!) that's right HTML
>>> You have a Smiley (Emoticon) menu right there :-) You add
>>> them as you wish :-P
>>
>> I don't see such a menu here. Is it something that's been added
>> since this version [Thunderbird 1.5 (Windows/20051201)]?
>
> It's been there since back in the Mozilla days. You might need to
> expand the width of the composition window to see it.

it depends on several things. One of them being what screen
resolution is he set at. For me, I'm at 640x480, and I
can't see all the icons on the formatting toolbar.

Interesting thought though, in SeaMonkey, I can insert
smileys, under the Insert Menu, but Thunderbird doesn't have
one. So, I have no idea what other way, besides the ascii
symbols, on how to insert them.

one. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Ken Whiton

Apr 15, 2007, 4:31:58 PM4/15/07
*-* On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 22:38:33 -0600,
*-* In Article spydndmUR6nUMbzb...@mozilla.org,
*-* Brian Heinrich wrote
*-* About Re: Emoticons

> On 2007-04-14 18:30 (-0600 UTC), Ken Whiton wrote:

>> *-* Moz Champion (Dan) wrote

>>> Compose in HTML mode (!) that's right HTML
>>> You have a Smiley (Emoticon) menu right there :-) You add
>>> them as you wish :-P

>> I don't see such a menu here. Is it something that's been
>> added since this version [Thunderbird 1.5 (Windows/20051201)]?

> It's been there since back in the Mozilla days. You might need to
> expand the width of the composition window to see it.

That did it. When I maximized the composition window the smiley
menu appeared. Thanks much!

Ken Whiton

Apr 15, 2007, 4:32:01 PM4/15/07
*-* On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 22:41:17 -0600,
*-* In Article spydndiUR6lzMbzb...@mozilla.org,
*-* Brian Heinrich wrote
*-* About Re: Emoticons

> On 2007-04-14 19:54 (-0600 UTC), Ken Whiton wrote:

>> *-* Ron K. wrote

>>> Try holding down the shift key when you click the forward icon on
>>> the toolbar. I believe it that will do the HTML mode toggle also.

>> I tried that several times before posting ... hoping. :-) It
>> didn't work. :-( If it's there, it's either an option I don't have
>> set or something that's been added since this version [Thunderbird
>> 1.5 (Windows/20051201)].

> Using <Shift>+<icon-click> to toggle HTML/plain text behaviour has
> been there since back in the Mozilla days. . . .

I have all my accounts configured to not use HTML when composing.

<Write-click> opens a plain-text Compose window.
<Shift>+<Write-click> opens an HTML Compose window.
<Reply-click> opens a plain-text Compose window.
<Shift>+<Reply-click> opens an HTML Compose window.
<Forward-click> opens a plain-text Compose window.
<Shift>+<Forward-click> opens a plain-text Compose window.

I'd like to have that last one work like the others, but it
doesn't, ... at least not here. And for the record, both <Left-Shift>
and <Right-Shift> work (or not) the same way. It makes no difference
which one is used.

Ken Whiton

Apr 15, 2007, 4:32:03 PM4/15/07
*-* On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 23:52:49 -0700,
*-* In Article 5eydnUmMU5S7Vrzb...@mozilla.org,
*-* Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote
*-* About Re: Emoticons

> Brian Heinrich wrote:

>> On 2007-04-14 18:30 (-0600 UTC), Ken Whiton wrote:

>>> *-* Moz Champion (Dan) wrote

>>> I don't see such a menu here. Is it something that's been
>>> added since this version [Thunderbird 1.5 (Windows/20051201)]?

>> It's been there since back in the Mozilla days. You might need to
>> expand the width of the composition window to see it.

> it depends on several things. One of them being what screen
> resolution is he set at. For me, I'm at 640x480,

1024x768 here.

> and I can't see
> all the icons on the formatting toolbar.

As I mentioned in my reply to Brian's post, the Smiley menu
showed up here when I maximized the composition window.

Brian Heinrich

Apr 16, 2007, 1:42:36 AM4/16/07
On 2007-04-15 14:32 (-0600 UTC), Ken Whiton wrote:

<snip />

> I have all my accounts configured to not use HTML when composing.
>
> <Write-click> opens a plain-text Compose window.
> <Shift>+<Write-click> opens an HTML Compose window.
> <Reply-click> opens a plain-text Compose window.
> <Shift>+<Reply-click> opens an HTML Compose window.
> <Forward-click> opens a plain-text Compose window.
> <Shift>+<Forward-click> opens a plain-text Compose window.
>
> I'd like to have that last one work like the others, but it
> doesn't, ... at least not here. And for the record, both <Left-Shift>
> and <Right-Shift> work (or not) the same way. It makes no difference
> which one is used.

Unfortunately, all I can say is that, with a recent trunk nightly,
<Shift>+<Forward-click> toggles in the same way as do the others, but I
don't know when the feature was implemented. . . .

Ken Whiton

Apr 16, 2007, 7:46:39 PM4/16/07
*-* On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 23:42:36 -0600,
*-* In Article Y7OdnSs3pvVQkb7b...@mozilla.org,

*-* Brian Heinrich wrote
*-* About Re: Emoticons

That's good to know, thanks. Looks like it's time for me to
start thinking about upgrading. :-)

Ken Whiton

Apr 23, 2007, 9:00:28 PM4/23/07
*-* On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 23:42:36 -0600,
*-* In Article Y7OdnSs3pvVQkb7b...@mozilla.org,
*-* Brian Heinrich wrote
*-* About Re: Emoticons

It's been there all along ... but it hasn't. :-)

The other night, while looking for more information about
format=flowed, I came across the following:

In http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plain_text_e-mail_-_Thunderbird

Hold down the "Shift" key when you click the buttons for "Write",
"Reply", "Reply to All" or "Forward" ("Forward" won't work if
Thunderbird is configured to forward messages Inline. ...)

Nedless to say, I have TB configured to forward messages Inline.
:-)

Brian Heinrich

Apr 23, 2007, 10:41:14 PM4/23/07
On 2007-04-23 19:00 (-0600 UTC), Ken Whiton wrote:

<snip />

> Nedless to say, I have TB configured to forward messages Inline.
> :-)

While I, by default, have it set to forward as an attachment. . . .

Well, that 'splains that, then, eh? ;-)

<snip />

Herb

Apr 25, 2007, 7:11:17 AM4/25/07

Hi Dan,

thanks for your reply, and apologies for the belated response.

You are right, I haven't been listening properly when the issue was
discussed a while back, and I'm afraid I didn't read all the messages in
the recent emoticons thread either =-O

Without wishing to start a whole new debate about this, I have a couple
of follow-up questions that hopefully have simple answers.

For the approach you suggested, would it be possible to switch between
text and html composition on the fly (e.g. via a keyboard shortcut), or
would you have your default composition mode set to html and your
default send mode to txt, or am I missing something?

Thank you.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Moz Champion (Dan)

Apr 25, 2007, 7:45:09 AM4/25/07

You can use the shift trick to switch between composing modes
i.e if you have it set to compose in plain text
pressing

Moz Champion (Dan)

Apr 25, 2007, 7:53:14 AM4/25/07

Opps, sorrry, operator error there, try this again shall we?

You can use a keyboard sequence to shift on the fly when composing
Holding down the shift (shift+cmd Mac) key and pressing the related sub
menu item (reply, reply all, write) will change the compose mode.

if you are in plain text mode, it changes to html mode and vice versa

I commonly have my default mode set to plain text, but if I wish to use
smileys (or post in HTML), I use the shift (shift+cmd Mac) trick to
select HTML edit mode.

Herb

Apr 25, 2007, 10:09:15 AM4/25/07
On 25.04.2007 12:53 UK Time, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> I commonly have my default mode set to plain text, but if I wish to use
> smileys (or post in HTML), I use the shift (shift+cmd Mac) trick to
> select HTML edit mode.

Great thanks - now that you mention it it rings a bell, but I had
forgotten about it.

But what about switching to sending in text mode from the html compose
window?

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Brian Heinrich

Apr 25, 2007, 3:22:49 PM4/25/07
On 2007-04-25 08:09 (-0600 UTC), Herb wrote:

<snip />

> But what about switching to sending in text mode from the html compose
> window?

The various m.o clients are pretty aggressive (I'd say over-aggressive)
about down-converting to plain text; in fact, they'll pretty much jump
through hoops to find a way in which to send as plain text.

If all you're using HTML composition mode for is to insert smileys (/i.e./,
you're not actually using any HTML), Tb should, by default, send as plain text.

The down-conversion is pretty clean, but I do from time to time see issues
(with lineation and line breaks) when down-converting to the plain-text
equivalent of ordered and unordered lists. . . .

Moz Champion (Dan)

Apr 25, 2007, 6:52:54 PM4/25/07
Brian Heinrich wrote:
> On 2007-04-25 08:09 (-0600 UTC), Herb wrote:
>
> <snip />
>
>> But what about switching to sending in text mode from the html compose
>> window?
>
> The various m.o clients are pretty aggressive (I'd say over-aggressive)
> about down-converting to plain text; in fact, they'll pretty much jump
> through hoops to find a way in which to send as plain text.
>
> If all you're using HTML composition mode for is to insert smileys
> (/i.e./, you're not actually using any HTML), Tb should, by default,
> send as plain text.
>
> The down-conversion is pretty clean, but I do from time to time see
> issues (with lineation and line breaks) when down-converting to the
> plain-text equivalent of ordered and unordered lists. . . .

To send in plain text mode

[Thunderbird-->Preferences]*-->Composition [General]
<Send Options>

I select Ask me what to do

Now when I send in HTML, I get the dialogue (after spell checking) that
asks what mode I wish to send in, Plain text, HTML or both - simply
select plain text.

The emoticons will not be affected, since they are in reality plain text
anyway

Herb

Apr 26, 2007, 1:34:52 AM4/26/07
On 25.04.2007 23:52 UK Time, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> To send in plain text mode
>
> [Thunderbird-->Preferences]*-->Composition [General]
> <Send Options>
>
> I select Ask me what to do
>

> Now when I send in HTML, I get the dialogue (after spell checking) that
> asks what mode I wish to send in, Plain text, HTML or both - simply
> select plain text.
>
> The emoticons will not be affected, since they are in reality plain text
> anyway

Thanks for your further reply - all crystal clear now :-)

I had looked under Composition [General], but I had missed the <Send
Options> button :-[

In practice I probably won't actually use this option just for sending
smileys, because I defined my own emoticon drop-down menu in QuickText,
but I'm sure what I learned here about switching to html on the fly etc.
will come in useful in future - thanks again.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Herb

Apr 26, 2007, 1:35:20 AM4/26/07
On 25.04.2007 20:22 UK Time, Brian Heinrich wrote:

> The down-conversion is pretty clean, but I do from time to time see
> issues (with lineation and line breaks) when down-converting to the
> plain-text equivalent of ordered and unordered lists. . . .

Thanks for the warning.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Brian Heinrich

Apr 26, 2007, 9:49:46 AM4/26/07
On 2007-04-25 16:52 (-0600 UTC), Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> Brian Heinrich wrote:
>> On 2007-04-25 08:09 (-0600 UTC), Herb wrote:
>>
>> <snip />
>>
>>> But what about switching to sending in text mode from the html
>>> compose window?
>>
>> The various m.o clients are pretty aggressive (I'd say
>> over-aggressive) about down-converting to plain text; in fact, they'll
>> pretty much jump through hoops to find a way in which to send as plain
>> text.
>>
>> If all you're using HTML composition mode for is to insert smileys
>> (/i.e./, you're not actually using any HTML), Tb should, by default,
>> send as plain text.
>>
>> The down-conversion is pretty clean, but I do from time to time see
>> issues (with lineation and line breaks) when down-converting to the
>> plain-text equivalent of ordered and unordered lists. . . .
>
> To send in plain text mode
>
> [Thunderbird-->Preferences]*-->Composition [General]
> <Send Options>
>
> I select Ask me what to do

That's been the default option since the Communicator days. . . .

> Now when I send in HTML, I get the dialogue (after spell checking) that
> asks what mode I wish to send in, Plain text, HTML or both - simply
> select plain text.

Like I said, the down-conversion is pretty aggressive. My default
composition mode is HTML, and a lot of the time Tb -- specifically, in those
instances in which there is no over HTML content -- will just send in plain
text without even querying how I want an e-mail sent.