import mails from Claws ?

Erik Jakobsen

Oct 22, 2010, 9:56:33 AM10/22/10
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi.

Running Thunderbird 3.1.5.

How do I import mails from Claws ?

Mike Easter

Oct 22, 2010, 11:40:05 AM10/22/10
Erik Jakobsen wrote:

> Running Thunderbird 3.1.5.
>
> How do I import mails from Claws ?

Claws uses an mbox format different from Tbird's mbox.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_and_exporting_your_mail Importing
and exporting your mail - There are four main versions of the mbox
format. - Sometimes email clients use "Unix format" to refer to a mbox
file since the format was originally developed for Unix systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox The mbox family comprises four main
different and incompatible formats: mboxo, mboxrd, mboxcl, and mboxcl2.
... The Mozilla family of MUAs (Mozilla, Netscape, Thunderbird, et al.)
use an mboxrd variation with more complex From line quoting rules.

The m'zine article has a section on the MH family, which is the mbox
which Claws uses.

http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/General_Information#How_does_Claws_Mail_store_mails.3F
How does Claws Mail store mails? - Mails are stored in the MH mailfile
format as used by MH and EMH. Maildir and mbox format are supported via
two plugins available on the Plugins page

The m'zine article suggests using an intermediate such as Evolution or
Kmail for the incompatible types of mbox issues.

Evolution wants to import mbox called 'Berkeley' but I don't know which
of the mbox designations described in the wiki article that is. I don't
have a Kmail running to see what it can do.

--
Mike Easter

Erik Jakobsen

Oct 22, 2010, 12:29:48 PM10/22/10
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org

Mike.

Thanks for the reply. I installed the ImportExportTools, but i could not
find a folder exported from Claws to my desktop. Obviously something
that is not ok.

Mike Easter

Oct 22, 2010, 1:20:21 PM10/22/10
Erik Jakobsen wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Erik Jakobsen wrote:
>>
>>> Running Thunderbird 3.1.5.
>>>
>>> How do I import mails from Claws ?
>> Claws uses an mbox format different from Tbird's mbox.

>> The m'zine article has a section on the MH family, which is the mbox

>> which Claws uses.
>>
>> http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/General_Information#How_does_Claws_Mail_store_mails.3F
>> How does Claws Mail store mails? - Mails are stored in the MH mailfile
>> format as used by MH and EMH. Maildir and mbox format are supported via
>> two plugins available on the Plugins page
>>
>> The m'zine article suggests using an intermediate such as Evolution or
>> Kmail for the incompatible types of mbox issues.

> Thanks for the reply. I installed the ImportExportTools, but i could not

> find a folder exported from Claws to my desktop. Obviously something
> that is not ok.

I guess you are talking about this tool which was mentioned in the
m'zine article http://www.nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html
ImportExportTools (MboxImport enhanced)

Considering the problem, my reading of the description of that tool
didn't sound as if it would solve it.

I would want something to specifically change one mbox format to
another. The problem is that they are similar but incompatible; that is
ng no good, IME inmyestimation.

--
Mike Easter

Erik Jakobsen

Oct 22, 2010, 1:47:01 PM10/22/10
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org

Mike.

Many thanks for your reply. Yes it is the tool I mentioned.
I do have the same impression that you have, that it would not save it.

Erik Jakobsen

Oct 23, 2010, 12:18:40 AM10/23/10
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org
snip.....

> I guess you are talking about this tool which was mentioned in the
> m'zine article http://www.nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html
> ImportExportTools (MboxImport enhanced)
>
> Considering the problem, my reading of the description of that tool
> didn't sound as if it would solve it.
>
> I would want something to specifically change one mbox format to
> another. The problem is that they are similar but incompatible; that is
> ng no good, IME inmyestimation.

Mike (and others)

It was so easy :-)

Having the Claws folders exported, it was just to put them into the
LocalFolder, and Thunderbird did the trick with converting them, and
they are all visible now.

Happy ?, Yes !

Ralph Fox

Oct 24, 2010, 4:52:07 PM10/24/10
On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 08:40:05 -0700, in message
Mike Easter wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox The mbox family comprises four main
> different and incompatible formats: mboxo, mboxrd, mboxcl, and mboxcl2.
> ... The Mozilla family of MUAs (Mozilla, Netscape, Thunderbird, et al.)
> use an mboxrd variation with more complex From line quoting rules.

Wikipedia has no reference or citation for this last sentence. I
believe Wikipedia is wrong, and Thunderbird uses the mboxo format.

This is easy enough to test...

Send a message from another mail program to Thunderbird where the
message source (as in "View >> Message Source") contains the following
three lines *without* the (") quote marks

"From darkness into light."
">From darkness into light."
">>From darkness into light."

The mboxo format will change the message source so the first two lines
are the same, while in the mboxrd format (and variants) the first two
lines will not be the same.

If the message is received in Thunderbird via POP3, the first line is
changed so then first two lines are now the same. This indicates mboxo,
not an mboxrd variant.

If the message is received in Thunderbrd via IMAP, the first two lines
are not the same. But when the message is moved to a local fonder in
Thunderbird, the first line is changed to be the same as the second.
This indicates local folders use mboxo, not an mboxrd variant.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Mike Easter

Oct 24, 2010, 5:56:25 PM10/24/10
Ralph Fox wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> ... The Mozilla family of MUAs (Mozilla, Netscape, Thunderbird, et al.)
>> use an mboxrd variation with more complex From line quoting rules.
>
> Wikipedia has no reference or citation for this last sentence. I
> believe Wikipedia is wrong, and Thunderbird uses the mboxo format.

Here's what the m'zine kb article sez:

Thunderbird, Mozilla Suite, Netscape, Portable Thunderbird, Postbox,
Spicebird, SeaMonkey and the open source version of Eudora use a
slightly modified version of the mboxrd variant of this format. The
proprietary version of Eudora uses a slightly modified version of the
mboxo variant. Most Windows email clients that use mbox files will use a
mboxo or mboxrd version, and you should have little trouble importing them.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_and_exporting_your_mail#Mbox_files

--
Mike Easter