Cancel message of newsgroup?

MrGatoChile

Jul 2, 2011, 12:01:58 AM7/2/11
In Tb 3.x.x i have a context menu item to cancel in te newsgroup a post
made by me, in Tb 5.0 the menu item is no more?
TB5.0 by default provide that feature?, i have installed many extensions
but with the migration to TB, only install a few(3 of 10) and dont
remember all extensions of TB 3.x.x.

Chris Ilias

Jul 2, 2011, 12:15:47 AM7/2/11

Message-->Cancel_Message :)

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

MrGatoChile

Jul 2, 2011, 2:27:01 AM7/2/11
El 02/07/2011 12:15 a.m., Chris Ilias escribió:
> On 11-07-02 12:01 AM, MrGatoChile wrote:
>> In Tb 3.x.x i have a context menu item to cancel in te newsgroup a post
>> made by me, in Tb 5.0 the menu item is no more?
>> TB5.0 by default provide that feature?, i have installed many extensions
>> but with the migration to TB, only install a few(3 of 10) and dont
>> remember all extensions of TB 3.x.x.
>
> Message-->Cancel_Message :)

That right but i was speaking of the cancel menu item from the context
menu accesible by right click over the message.

I only have Allow HTML Temp 3.2.3, CompactHeader 1.4.0, Dic
Español/España 1.5 and United States English Spellchecker 5.0.1

Tarkus

Jul 2, 2011, 2:38:55 AM7/2/11
On 7/1/2011 11:27 PM, MrGatoChile wrote:
> El 02/07/2011 12:15 a.m., Chris Ilias escribi�:

>> On 11-07-02 12:01 AM, MrGatoChile wrote:
>>> In Tb 3.x.x i have a context menu item to cancel in te newsgroup a post
>>> made by me, in Tb 5.0 the menu item is no more?
>>> TB5.0 by default provide that feature?, i have installed many extensions
>>> but with the migration to TB, only install a few(3 of 10) and dont
>>> remember all extensions of TB 3.x.x.
>>
>> Message-->Cancel_Message :)
>>
> That right but i was speaking of the cancel menu item from the context
> menu accesible by right click over the message.

I believe the Delete key will also do what you want, FWIW.

goodwin

Jul 2, 2011, 8:47:48 AM7/2/11

What you see there are extensions, not any part of a dropdown menu but
likely the output of the add ons screen from the main menu >tools>addd
ons>extensions.
If this is showing in a context menu, something is broken or you have
some strange extension in the background which has changed your menu -
why someone would list that from a context menu, I would have no idea.

BTW, my context menu has Delete message, not Cancel.

Man-wai Chang

Jul 2, 2011, 9:58:13 AM7/2/11
On 7/2/2011 12:01 PM, MrGatoChile wrote:
> In Tb 3.x.x i have a context menu item to cancel in te newsgroup a post
> made by me, in Tb 5.0 the menu item is no more?

That function is usually disabled by most newsgroup servers!!! It might
delete the cached copy of that message in your own news client.

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silent.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!

s|b

Jul 2, 2011, 10:20:16 AM7/2/11

Why bother? Most newsservers don't even honour those cancels...

--
s|b

Mike Easter

Jul 2, 2011, 10:59:29 AM7/2/11
s|b wrote:

> Why bother? Most newsservers don't even honour those cancels...

Two examples of news servers which honor and propagate, functionally.

NIN news.individual.net and e-s eternal-september both use a system of
cancel-lock and cancel-key to secure against the problem of rogue cancels.

With that system in place, NIN is able to honor cancels from their
clients who posted the message^1 and NIN propagates cancels which
propagated cancels e-s honors. (Where 'cancel' in this context means
cancel-lock/key.)

I suspect that it also goes the other way, with e-s honoring cancels by
the poster of the message to their own server and propagating those
cancels which NIN will honor.

Perhaps there are also a number of other news servers using
cancel-lock/key besides NIN and e-s which also honor and propagate the
cancels.

^1 http://news.individual.net/faq.php#1.12

However, all of that being said, since the majority of news servers do
not do that cancel-lock/key business and do not honor cancels, the
person who tries to cancel their message on the 'news servers of the
world' is mostly spinning their wheels. A NIN or e-s subscriber might
successfully cancel their message on a few servers, but mostly they
won't be.

The other place that cancels have a better chance of working is
specialty servers which do not propagate and which do honor cancels. In
that special circumstance, the ordinary cancel can work, and since there
aren't other news servers to 'worry about', the message is effectively
cancelled.

--
Mike Easter

JoeS

Jul 2, 2011, 11:26:30 AM7/2/11

Cancel and Delete have been separated in function in TB5
The Delete feature was deemed "incomplete" do to the lack of an undo
function. If you don't care about undo capability, you can enable
deletes with the following pref:
news.allow_delete_with_no_undo=true"

This just deletes the message locally from your msf.

--
JoeS Using TB 7.0
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_5.0_-_New_Features_and_Changes

Chris Ilias

Jul 2, 2011, 2:15:41 PM7/2/11

And some non-usenet servers do, so MrGatoChile's question is perfectly
reasonable.

Ron Hunter

Jul 2, 2011, 3:29:19 PM7/2/11
On 7/2/2011 1:15 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 11-07-02 10:20 AM, s|b wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 00:01:58 -0400, MrGatoChile wrote:
>>
>>> In Tb 3.x.x i have a context menu item to cancel in te newsgroup a post
>>> made by me, in Tb 5.0 the menu item is no more?
>>> TB5.0 by default provide that feature?, i have installed many extensions
>>> but with the migration to TB, only install a few(3 of 10) and dont
>>> remember all extensions of TB 3.x.x.
>>
>> Why bother? Most newsservers don't even honour those cancels...
>
> And some non-usenet servers do, so MrGatoChile's question is perfectly
> reasonable.

It is reasonable, but Mike's exposition on how these cancels work was
very useful, and I am sure many users were 'educated' by it. Kudo's to
Mike.