very strange Thunderbird error after migrating from one mac to another

tansaku

Apr 19, 2009, 7:06:15 AM4/19/09
Hi There,

I have been using Thunderbird for over five years. Love it.

I just transfered over everything to a new mac (from my old mac - both
OSX 10.5.6) and I got some real strange errors. Most of them went
away when I reinstalled Thunderbird, but a general one remains. In
certain dialogs, e.g. in my Account settings, there are what appear to
be markup errors. Like some of the fields are blank and I get red
characters appearing in the middle of the settings window like:

<menulist label="&newfolderclickhere.label"
__^

Has anyone ever experience anything like this?

I guess my profile must be corrupted somehow ...

Many thanks in advance
CHEERS> SAM

Jay Garcia

Apr 19, 2009, 11:03:13 AM4/19/09

Apr 19, 2009, 12:54:34 PM4/19/09
On 19-04-2009 13:06 CET, tansaku composed this enchanting statement:

It looks like a chrome problem. Perhaps trouble with the selected theme?
Did you copy the old profile, or did you selectively replace contents
from the old in the new profile?

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

tansaku

Apr 19, 2009, 3:26:44 PM4/19/09
Hi Jay,

Many thanks for getting back to me.

I did previously try creating a new profile, and that seemed to work.
I tried transfering over just the mail components to the new theme
(i.e. just the Mail folder), but none of the Mail showed up.

I did re-install TB and as I said that was an improvement (I could
actually access all my mail archive).

Is there a particular procedure for transfering data from one profile
to another other than just moving files and directories around.

Many thanks in advance
CHEERS> SAM

tansaku

Apr 19, 2009, 3:27:32 PM4/19/09
Hi Melchert,

The old profile was copied over verbatim.

CHEERS> SAM

On Apr 19, 6:54 am, Melchert Fruitema <mel.nos...@hccnet.ppppmf>

Leonidas Jones

Apr 19, 2009, 3:50:24 PM4/19/09

I agree with Mechert, it sounds like a theme problem. Are you using the
default theme?

When you followed Jay's advice to transfer the mail, did you create the
mail accounts first. Simply transferring the Mail folder from old
profile to new will not cause the accounts to appear.

Lee

tansaku

Apr 20, 2009, 12:44:01 PM4/20/09
Hi Lee,

I am not sure what theme I am using. I have never made any changes to
themes, so I assume it is default.

I have tried creating a new profile, and then transferring the mail as
you suggest. That worked, and even more strangely the problems from
the original profile, when I subsequently re-opened, seem to have
disappeared. Very strange. I did apply a series of (seemingly
unrelated) OSX updates as well, so I am not sure what fixed this.

Many thanks for the help from everyone.

CHEERS> SAM

Thanks for the tip.

Melchert Fruitema

Apr 20, 2009, 1:41:26 PM4/20/09
On 19-04-2009 21:27 CET, tansaku composed this enchanting statement:
> <moved down below the quoted text (a newsgroup custom)>

> On Apr 19, 6:54 am, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
> >
> > It looks like a chrome problem. Perhaps trouble with the selected theme?
> > Did you copy the old profile, or did you selectively replace contents
> > from the old in the new profile?
> >

> The old profile was copied over verbatim.

That does not answer the questions, I'm afraid. Anyway, as stated in
other replies, the best way probably is copying data from your old
profile, into the new profile.

So, if your new profile seems corrupted, create another. Use a Terminal
command to start up the profile manager in Thunderbird, enter:
/Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird-bin -p

Melchert Fruitema

Apr 20, 2009, 1:58:54 PM4/20/09
On 20-04-2009 18:44 CET, tansaku composed this enchanting statement:

> Hi Lee,
>
> I am not sure what theme I am using. I have never made any changes to
> themes, so I assume it is default.
>
> I have tried creating a new profile, and then transferring the mail as
> you suggest. That worked, and even more strangely the problems from
> the original profile, when I subsequently re-opened, seem to have
> disappeared. Very strange. I did apply a series of (seemingly
> unrelated) OSX updates as well, so I am not sure what fixed this.
>
> Many thanks for the help from everyone.
>
> CHEERS> SAM

Sam, I hadn't seen this reply. You are welcome.