Lightning disaster with TB 9

Herb

Dec 22, 2011, 5:47:47 AM12/22/11
I just ugraded to TB 9, and now all my calendars appear to have gone,
i.e. everything is blank in Lightning.

Help, please!

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Graham P Davis

Dec 22, 2011, 5:55:07 AM12/22/11
On 22/12/11 10:47, Herb wrote:
> I just ugraded to TB 9, and now all my calendars appear to have gone,
> i.e. everything is blank in Lightning.
>
> Help, please!

OK here. Did you get the upgrade of Lightning to 1.1?

--
Graham Davis, UK
User of Mozillarish stuff since Netscape 1.2N.

Herb

Dec 22, 2011, 6:01:49 AM12/22/11
On 22.12.2011 10:55 UK Time, Graham P Davis wrote:
> On 22/12/11 10:47, Herb wrote:
>> I just ugraded to TB 9, and now all my calendars appear to have gone,
>> i.e. everything is blank in Lightning.
>>
>> Help, please!
>>

> OK here. Did you get the upgrade of Lightning to 1.1?

Thanks for your quick reply.

I was still on 1.0 - thanks for pointing out that 1.1 is available.

I installed it manually, and all is well now - phew!

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Stefan Sitter

Dec 22, 2011, 6:25:37 AM12/22/11
Herb wrote:
> I installed it manually, and all is well now - phew!

I suggest that you ensure that automatic check for extension updates is
enabled in Thunderbird preferences. In addition I'd always go to the
Add-on Manager after each Thunderbird update and manually start a search
for extension updates.

Herb

Dec 22, 2011, 11:20:03 AM12/22/11
Thanks for your reply.

The automatic update options are enabled, but TB didn't alert me to let
me know that TB 9 is available, and neither did it alert me that a new
Lightning version is available, nor was it immediately obvious from the
Lighthning we page. If Graham hadn't alerted me I wouldn't have known.

I'll try and remember to run "Check for Updates" manually in future.
Again, this option isn't immediately obvious, but I found it under the
Settings menu. Perhaps it would deserve a dedicated button?

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Cal Tinson

Dec 22, 2011, 11:33:07 AM12/22/11
On 12/22/2011 11:20 AM eastern, Herb wrote:

(snip)
> The automatic update options are enabled, but TB didn't alert me to let
> me know that TB 9 is available, and neither did it alert me that a new
> Lightning version is available (snip)

Ditto! I too started to panic till I remembered I'd just done a backup,
then went and found 1.1.

Ron Hunter

Dec 22, 2011, 11:46:38 AM12/22/11
Users who use Lightning, and/or other add-ons that are coded in such a
way that they need recompiling for each new release need to consider
waiting a few days before upgrading until their add-ons are updated.
Sometimes it is just a matter of hours after a release that the new
add-on becomes available, at other times, it takes a while.

Stefan Sitter

Dec 22, 2011, 11:59:31 AM12/22/11
Herb wrote:
> I'll try and remember to run "Check for Updates" manually in future.
> Again, this option isn't immediately obvious, but I found it under
> the Settings menu. Perhaps it would deserve a dedicated button?

Probably not. In the past it was a dedicated button. But when the add-on
manager was redesigned the button was removed and it was hidden in the
dropdown menu.

Keith Nuttle

Dec 22, 2011, 12:11:09 PM12/22/11
I don't know about all addons but some just need the Maxversion variable
changed in the RDF file.

Mark Banner

Dec 22, 2011, 1:52:29 PM12/22/11
On 22/12/2011 16:20, Herb wrote:
> The automatic update options are enabled, but TB didn't alert me to let
> me know that TB 9 is available, and neither did it alert me that a new
> Lightning version is available, nor was it immediately obvious from the
> Lighthning we page. If Graham hadn't alerted me I wouldn't have known.

Presumably then, you went to Help -> About to update, or did you install
over the top?

On the startup as TB 9, it should have prompted you that Lightning was
not compatible and do you want to try and update it and then downloaded
and installed it - that is what I got in multiple installations testing
the upgrade process prior to the release. Do you remember any prompts on
startup?

The only other thought I have is that could it be that you were in
offline mode on that first startup of TB 9, so it wouldn't have been
able to check.

If anyone can reproduce this consistently, please file a bug and cc me
(:standard8), there's a few bits of logging that we can try turning on
and also a few log files that may be able to help us understand what's
happening here.

Thanks
Mark.

Wayne Mery

Dec 22, 2011, 2:10:25 PM12/22/11
to Mark Banner
It's good to hear of solid testing prior to release.

I too was not informed after installing v12 (coming from v11). But this
was in install of v12, not an "update. It was only on a later startup
that I was offered addon updates - for all the relevant addons, not just
calendar.

One of these days I'll pay more attention to it.

--
contribute ... http://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing
evangelize ... http://www.spreadthunderbird.com/aff/165/

Poutnik

Dec 23, 2011, 7:09:49 AM12/23/11
In article <4EF380A1...@lehigh.edu>, vsee...@lehigh.edu says...

> It's good to hear of solid testing prior to release.
>
> I too was not informed after installing v12 (coming from v11). But this
> was in install of v12, not an "update. It was only on a later startup
> that I was offered addon updates - for all the relevant addons, not just
> calendar.
>
> One of these days I'll pay more attention to it.

There could be also raised the question,
why there is not compatibility scope overlap,
as common for most ff/tb addons.

--
Poutnik

Herb

Dec 26, 2011, 1:16:44 PM12/26/11
On 22.12.2011 18:52 UK Time, Mark Banner wrote:
> On 22/12/2011 16:20, Herb wrote:
>> The automatic update options are enabled, but TB didn't alert me to let
>> me know that TB 9 is available, and neither did it alert me that a new
>> Lightning version is available, nor was it immediately obvious from the
>> Lighthning we page. If Graham hadn't alerted me I wouldn't have known.
>
> Presumably then, you went to Help -> About to update, or did you install
> over the top?

Thanks for your reply.

I found out that TB 9 was available via the TB newsgroup, and yes, I
updated via Help > About > Check for Updates.

> On the startup as TB 9, it should have prompted you that Lightning was
> not compatible and do you want to try and update it and then downloaded
> and installed it - that is what I got in multiple installations testing
> the upgrade process prior to the release. Do you remember any prompts on
> startup?

It's quite possible that there was such a prompt, and it's quite
possible that I didn't pay proper attention to it, but I can't remember,
sorry.

I'm used to add-ons sorting themselves out successfully after TB
updates/upgrades. The recent Lightning experience appears to have been
an exception. I'll try and remember to pay better attention to start-up
prompts in future.

> The only other thought I have is that could it be that you were in
> offline mode on that first startup of TB 9, so it wouldn't have been
> able to check.

It's possible that I was in offline mode, but unlikely.

> If anyone can reproduce this consistently, please file a bug and cc me
> (:standard8), there's a few bits of logging that we can try turning on
> and also a few log files that may be able to help us understand what's
> happening here.

Thanks.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Stefan Sitter

Jan 2, 2012, 6:49:19 PM1/2/12
Poutnik wrote:
> There could be also raised the question,
> why there is not compatibility scope overlap,
> as common for most ff/tb addons.

Because the Mozilla Toolkit / Mozilla Firefox developers decided to
intentionally break compatibility with extensions that contain binaries
components with each release. Therefore all of those extension have to
be rebuild for the new application version - although nothing might be
changed in the extension itself.

Poutnik

Jan 3, 2012, 6:05:56 AM1/3/12
In article <j_ydneh_uanj35_S...@mozilla.org>,
ssitte...@gmail.com says...
I see.
I understand there can be the reason for that,
even if not all developers may agree with this.

The truth is it causes user inconvenience
checking if there is available addon update
for the new FF/TB version.

--
Poutnik

Ron Hunter

Jan 3, 2012, 4:13:23 PM1/3/12
The alternative is to greatly restrict the power of extensions.
Frankly, I think we are better off waiting on the add-on developer to
get out a new extension than to render all extensions less powerful.
Yes, it's a nuisance, but some things are worth a bit of inconvenience.
If that were't true, there would be NO BABIES!

Poutnik

Jan 4, 2012, 11:41:53 AM1/4/12
In article <E5-dnVWjUpT08p7S...@mozilla.org>,
rphu...@charter.net says...

> > I see.
> > I understand there can be the reason for that,
> > even if not all developers may agree with this.
> >
> > The truth is it causes user inconvenience
> > checking if there is available addon update
> > for the new FF/TB version.
> >

> The alternative is to greatly restrict the power of extensions.
> Frankly, I think we are better off waiting on the add-on developer to
> get out a new extension than to render all extensions less powerful.
> Yes, it's a nuisance, but some things are worth a bit of inconvenience.
> If that were't true, there would be NO BABIES!

No objections.

--
Poutnik

Graham P Davis

Jan 8, 2012, 5:25:05 AM1/8/12
Some plug-ins are fixes for features removed from TB in the previous
great "improvements" to TB. Such plug-ins failing to function is
certainly inconvenient but I'm afraid I don't see how such inconvenience
is "worth it," whatever "it" is.

--
Graham Davis, UK
User of Mozillarish stuff since Netscape 1.2N.
Running FF 9.0, TB 9.0, KDE 4.7.4 on openSUSE 12.1.