Top articles for localizers to translate

Chris Ilias

Sep 16, 2008, 5:50:22 PM9/16/08
I'd like to provide localizer with a list of top 15 non-inproduct
articles to translate. The top articles listed on the front page are
largely slanted toward new Firefox 3 users and new Firefox 3 pages.

I did a comparison of the top articles as listed at
<http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-wiki_rankings.php?locale=en-US&limit=500&categId=1>,
the top articles on the front page and a query on Urchin for the top 15
requested en-US articles from June 17th to today, scoring each article
for how high it was on each list (top article = 15pts, 15th article =
1pt), and the top scoring articles were:

01. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profiles
02. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing+Firefox
03.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How+to+disable+the+Smart+Location+Bar
0.4 http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Common+issues+fixed+in+Firefox+3
05. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Backing+up+your+information
06.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+is+already+running+but+is+not+responding

07. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Clearing+Location+bar+history
08. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+will+not+start
09. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Configuring+AVG+Internet+Security
10.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Bookmarks+and+toolbar+buttons+not+working+after+upgrading

11. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/ActiveX
12. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing+Firefox+on+Windows
13. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing+Firefox+on+Linux
14. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Search+suggestions
15. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How+to+set+the+home+page
16. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Basic+Troubleshooting
17.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Toolbars+and+page+content+appear+too+large+after+upgrading+to+Firefox+3

18.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+cache+file+was+infected+with+a+virus
19.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Add-ons+are+incompatible+with+Firefox+3
20. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles

Articles I'd like to leave out:
- <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Common+issues+fixed+in+Firefox+3>
because I think it it become unneeded soon.
-
<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Configuring+AVG+Internet+Security>
because I don't know why it's so high on the rankings page, and it not
among the top articles since Firefox3.
- <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Common+issues+fixed+in+Firefox+3>
again, an article that has limited shelf-life.
-
(depends)<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Bookmarks+and+toolbar+buttons+not+working+after+upgrading>
depending if either Norton or Mozilla can get this fixed soon, the
traffic could drop on that article rapidly.

Imperative articles, because they are linked in the "New to Firefox"
section of the start page:
- <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing+Firefox> and its three
sub articles
<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing+Firefox+on+Windows>,
<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing+Firefox+on+Linux>, and
<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing+Firefox+on+Mac>.
- <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Customizing+Firefox+with+add-ons>

Majken Connor

Sep 16, 2008, 6:37:16 PM9/16/08
to Planning how we can best support our users

This is a separate discussion, and we should move it to another thread, but
I think we should be scrapping the "how to disable the smart location bar"
article in favor of the new improved "clearing location bar history."
Mentioning this here as it's the #3 article.

I think this is a great idea, and a list like this should definitely be
maintained so localizers can choose what articles to work on if there isn't
one in particular they wanted to tackle. This would also be a really great
basis for an L10n Support Firefox Day.

David McRitchie

Sep 21, 2008, 7:19:54 PM9/21/08
"Chris Ilias" wrote...

> I'd like to provide localizer with a list of top 15 non-inproduct
> articles to translate. The top articles listed on the front page are
> largely slanted toward new Firefox 3 users and new Firefox 3 pages.
> 19.
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Add-ons+are+incompatible+with+Firefox+3

I guess 20 numbered articles might be 15 if you combine the OS specific ones.

Anyway #19 is out of date
19.1) Site Advisor is compatible with Fx3 and it is found at http://www.siteadvisor.com/
not at addons.mozilla.org
19.2) Tab Mix Plus according description by the author
A version for Firefox 3.0.1 is found here:http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9178
(so would at least fit the category updates that you have to get manually)

The rest of the items, don't know
Real Player, Roboform, Bookmark Backup

Message has been deleted

Chris Ilias

Sep 22, 2008, 12:53:08 AM9/22/08

Besnik Bleta

Sep 22, 2008, 11:57:10 AM9/22/08
to Planning how we can best support our users
Albanian (sq) is not among the options at "Language of newly translated
page: "

besnik

Chris Ilias

Sep 29, 2008, 3:22:19 AM9/29/08
On 9/22/08 11:57 AM, _Besnik Bleta_ spoke thusly:

> Albanian (sq) is not among the options at "Language of newly translated
> page: "

Are you still having that problem? I've testing this using a test
account, and it still works. It should be the very top locale in the list.

Besnik Bleta

Sep 29, 2008, 4:57:02 AM9/29/08
to Planning how we can best support our users
You're right. Maybe the homepage is not translated completely or need
some sort of going live in order to be shown in Albanian when you switch
the locale for the site.
Thank you again,

besnik