"Is my Firefox problem a result of malware" article

Chris Ilias

Jul 21, 2008, 2:25:34 AM7/21/08
One issue the Mozilla webmaster address is getting a lot of is malware
causing problems in Firefox. We need an article that the webmaster
auto-responder can link to to help users determine if malware is the
cause, how to fix it, and how to prevent it.

I've put up a preliminary version in the staging area at
<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Is+my+Firefox+problem+a+result+of+malware>.
There's nothing about removal yet, and the article has not been arranged.

Any feedback at all is appreciated. There's a pretty hot fire to get
this article in the KB ASAP. :-)

Kevin Brosnan

Jul 21, 2008, 11:55:51 AM7/21/08
to Planning how we can best support our users
Did Firefox come bundled with other software?
What about the case of http://pack.google.com or the google and yahoo
versions that come pre-bundled with their toolbars? Were these
discontinued for Firefox 3?

Chris Ilias

Jul 24, 2008, 11:21:28 AM7/24/08
On 7/21/08 2:25 AM, _Chris Ilias_ spoke thusly:

Has no-one got info on malware removal?

Gen Kanai

Jul 24, 2008, 9:29:00 PM7/24/08
to Planning how we can best support our users

Sorry, Chris. I do.

The Stopbadware.org site has this info:

http://www.stopbadware.org/home/badware_remove

Google Webmaster Tools is always cited as a good tool for the site
owner to use to diagnose the problem and identify the issue.

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?
service=sitemaps&passive=true&nui=1&continue=http%3A%2F%
2Fwww.google.com%2Fwebmasters%2Ftools%2Fdashboard&followup=http%3A%2F%
2Fwww.google.com%2Fwebmasters%2Ftools%2Fdashboard&hl=en

The Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page also lists the issues (here
using example.com which has no malware)

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://example.com/

Gen

Gen Kanai
gen at mozilla dot com
Mozilla Corporation
http://www.mozilla.com
http://getfirefox.com

Chris Ilias

Aug 4, 2008, 2:02:24 AM8/4/08
On 7/21/08 2:25 AM, _Chris Ilias_ spoke thusly:

FWIW, last November I came a across a web site just like the one
chofmann showed at the summit. Because the pop-up window is really an
image, made to look like a Windows XP pop-up, it was very obvious to
detect on Mac.
<http://ilias.ca/screenshots/scam-75.png>

Do you think 'changing the OS theme' should be suggested, as a method of
prevention?

Jason Barnabe (np)

Aug 4, 2008, 7:42:29 PM8/4/08
On Aug 4, 1:02 am, Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:
> Do you think 'changing the OS theme' should be suggested, as a method of
> prevention?

I think those who know enough to be able to tell a dialog from a
picture of a dialog based on the OS theme know enough to tell a dialog
from a picture of a dialog in other ways.

Somewhat related, http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Blocking+pop-ups#Is_the_pop_up_coming_from_Firefox_