Splitting Contributor home page proposal

Chris Ilias

Apr 8, 2008, 12:29:42 AM4/8/08
There's been some discussion on IRC about splitting the Contributor Home
Page into two separate pages.

The current page <http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Contributor+Home+Page>
was originally geared toward potential new contributors, telling them
different ways to get involved contributing so Firefox Support.

Current regular contributors are no longer finding the page useful, and
are in need of a portal with tools to help regular contributors. It
would list things like:
- latest changes
- news from the Firefox Support blog
- recent forum topics
- etc.

So the proposal is to have one page, listing ways to contribute, and
another as a portal for current contributors.

Majken Connor

Apr 8, 2008, 5:24:52 AM4/8/08
to support-...@lists.mozilla.org

Besides having a proper homepage where we can monitor latest changes, and
our own changes, I'm finding the forum homepage really annoying. It'd be
nice to have a contributor page there (or just let logged in contributors go
to the forums list?

David Tenser

Apr 8, 2008, 2:33:07 PM4/8/08

I think we should just do this, as it would be incredibly useful. Chris,
are you driving this?

Chris Ilias

Apr 8, 2008, 10:47:55 PM4/8/08
On 4/8/08 2:33 PM, _David Tenser_ spoke thusly:

> I think we should just do this, as it would be incredibly useful. Chris,
> are you driving this?

Sure. Are there any links to the Contributor Home Page in the
www.mozilla.com in-product pages?

David Tenser

Apr 9, 2008, 7:54:48 AM4/9/08

Yes, the introduction page for new and potential contributors needs to
keep the same name. If we really want to rename in the future, we can do
a server redirect rule, but for now let's not bother with it.

David Tenser

Apr 9, 2008, 7:58:23 AM4/9/08

Fwiw, i asked:

Is it too late to change the URL for the end user help? If possible, I
think http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How+to+contribute would make
more sense, seeing as we're thinking of separating this introduction
page for new contributors from a "contributor portal" page for
experienced contributors that want to dig deeper.

If it's too late, that's fine; we can just setup a server redirect if we
really want to rename the page. Just wanted to ask in case there is
still time. :)

I'll see if I get a response, but for now let's keep the page name.