address books

Miles

Apr 26, 2006, 5:16:38 PM4/26/06
Asked this question over a month and didn't receive a reply, so will try
again. Perhaps a little rewording is in order to clarify:

I would enjoy changing several different AB's to mailing lists directly
under the PAB. Rationale is that a change to the PAB would also correct
the entry in the mailing list. But find this cannot be done because I
cannot find a method to create a sub-mailing list. For instance, I have
the PAB, with a company mailing list below, and below that is needed a
few sub-mailing lists which split out the names into various groups.

If the company mailing list is a separate AB, not a mailing list under
PAB, it is no problem to create mailing lists below it. But if the
company listing is a mailing list directly under the PAB, then I can only
create new mailing lists at the same level as the company mailing list,
but not sub-sub lists.

PAB
Mailing list (OK)

but

PAB
Mailing list (OK)
Mailing list (cannot be created)

This is in lieu of having several AB's on the same level as the PAB
whereby changes to the PAB do not change the entries in the other AB's.
Is there a method that I am missing out on????

Miles

captjlddavis

Apr 26, 2006, 5:34:42 PM4/26/06
Abook "lists" are just pointers to the entries in the parent abook....
Editing properties in a LIST will change properties in Parent book.
Editing properties in PARENT book will change properties in List
Deleting from a LIST will NOT delete from PARENT book.
Deleting from PARENT book WILL delete from list.

in short I do not think you can do what you want - ie - separate the
properties - as lists are just pointers. NOT actual enteries.

HTH

regards:captjlddavis

Miles

Apr 26, 2006, 5:57:06 PM4/26/06
captjlddavis wrote:

I understand what you say, but still don't comprehend why a sub-list is
not possible. For me and I'm sure for many others, that is the solution
to easily keeping the PAB and lists up to date. Edit a parent book
would then correct the sub and sub-sub books.

Wonder if there has been a request in for this or whether it is such in
SM or TB?

Miles

gwtc

Apr 26, 2006, 6:17:33 PM4/26/06
Miles wrote:

You know, I can't figure out why people are so fussy about creating
additional address books. All you need is mailing listings. Right
now, I have about 13 of them. One for my business lists, one for my
financial lists, one for my jokes lists, and so on. Some addresses
can be in more than one list. You don't need to make additional books.

--
Things to Ponder about: If Wiley E. Coyote had enough money to buy all
that ACME crap, why didn't he just buy dinner?

gwtc

Apr 26, 2006, 6:17:35 PM4/26/06
BTW -- didn't you disappear for a while, something like to the far
east? Was that you?

captjlddavis

Apr 26, 2006, 7:29:19 PM4/26/06

Sorry that I could not be more help. If you edit an entry in the PARENT
book, it WILL update/change the entry in ALL lists that refer to that entry.

I just don't follow what you are asking.

regards:captjlddavis

Miles

Apr 26, 2006, 8:15:29 PM4/26/06

Yep, that was me -- went for a month to Chiang Mai, Thailand for the Song
Kron Festival -- The Thai New Year celebration which lasts for a week!
Those people love a party! I believe they celebrate three different new
years, Christmas (Much bigger in that Buddhist country than it is in the
USA!) and most other major holidays in the world!

Miles

Miles

Apr 26, 2006, 8:18:54 PM4/26/06
gwtc wrote:

Guess you are right, I should convert to lists -- and before I upgrade to
FF/TB or SM. This is out of habit what I've done for 20 years in Word
Perfect, then simply carried it over to Netscape 15 or more years ago.

Miles

gwtc

Apr 26, 2006, 8:34:29 PM4/26/06
Miles wrote:

has it already been a month. Oh yuk! And here I am, still here.
Maybe I should take a cue from Lee and disappear for awhile.

But then maybe not, some of you would miss my anal retentive
argumentative attitude. :-) :-D :-!

Miles

Apr 27, 2006, 1:28:33 AM4/27/06
>>> BTW -- didn't you disappear for a while, something like to the far
>>> east? Was that you?
>>>

>> Yep, that was me -- went for a month to Chiang Mai, Thailand for the
>> Song Kron Festival -- The Thai New Year celebration which lasts for a
>> week! Those people love a party! I believe they celebrate three
>> different new years, Christmas (Much bigger in that Buddhist country
>> than it is in the USA!) and most other major holidays in the world!
>>
>> Miles
>
> has it already been a month. Oh yuk! And here I am, still here. Maybe I
> should take a cue from Lee and disappear for awhile.
>
> But then maybe not, some of you would miss my anal retentive
> argumentative attitude. :-) :-D :-!

If you take an extended holiday, don't forget to access these newsgroups,
you are needed!!!! :-)

Miles

gwtc

Apr 27, 2006, 1:47:05 AM4/27/06
thank you for that great comment, but I'm sure others would disagree.

Chris Ilias

Apr 27, 2006, 2:09:47 AM4/27/06
_Miles_ spoke thusly on 27/04/2006 1:28 AM:

> If you take an extended holiday, don't forget to access these
> newsgroups, you are needed!!!! :-)

If you can't take an OT discussion to a place where it is on topic (in
this case, perhaps personal email), then please move it to
mozilla.general. Thanks.
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

Miles

Apr 27, 2006, 3:37:52 AM4/27/06
Chris Ilias wrote:

> _Miles_ spoke thusly on 27/04/2006 1:28 AM:
>
>> If you take an extended holiday, don't forget to access these
>> newsgroups, you are needed!!!! :-)
>

> If you can't take an OT discussion to a place where it is on topic (in
> this case, perhaps personal email), then please move it to
> mozilla.general. Thanks.

Chris, do you really feel that a complimentary msg to someone for their
assistance has no place in this newsgroup??? If that is the consensus
of this NG, then it is no place for me!

Miles

Chris Ilias

Apr 27, 2006, 3:39:37 AM4/27/06
_Miles_ spoke thusly on 27/04/2006 3:37 AM:

> Chris, do you really feel that a complimentary msg to someone for their
> assistance has no place in this newsgroup??? If that is the consensus
> of this NG, then it is no place for me!

The discussion was about where you had been, and whether or not to go on
vacation. That's OT.

[follow up set to mozilla.general]

gwtc

Apr 27, 2006, 3:49:43 AM4/27/06
Miles wrote:

Miles, I'm curious on how you managed to post a reply to Chris'
message, when he set a followup to mozilla.general.

--
Things to Ponder about: Why does Goofy stand erect while Pluto remains
on all fours? They're both dogs!

Miles

Apr 27, 2006, 9:01:38 AM4/27/06
gwtc wrote:
> Miles wrote:
>
>> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>

>>> _Miles_ spoke thusly on 27/04/2006 1:28 AM:

>>> If you can't take an OT discussion to a place where it is on topic
>>> (in this case, perhaps personal email), then please move it to
>>> mozilla.general. Thanks.
>>

>> Chris, do you really feel that a complimentary msg to someone for
>> their assistance has no place in this newsgroup??? If that is the
>> consensus of this NG, then it is no place for me!
>>
>> Miles
>
> Miles, I'm curious on how you managed to post a reply to Chris' message,
> when he set a followup to mozilla.general.

Simply forwarded it to this NG since this is where the subject was
brought up and where the reply belongs.

By the way, how does one go about setting a followup to another address
which I have not seen before, using Mozilla 1.7.12

Miles

Brian Mailman

Apr 27, 2006, 11:35:38 AM4/27/06
gwtc wrote:

> Miles, I'm curious on how you managed to post a reply to Chris'
> message, when he set a followup to mozilla.general.

It's called "resetting the followup" All you need to do is change the
newsgroup line.

B/

gwtc

Apr 27, 2006, 11:49:43 AM4/27/06
Miles wrote:

It didn't work for me. I forwarded it to the newsgroup, and it
created a new posting.

tested in mozilla.test

--
How to Get a Life
Difficulty Level: Hard

gwtc

Apr 27, 2006, 11:49:47 AM4/27/06
what do you mean by that. I tested it out. I created a message and
put a follow up to another group. Then I forwarded to that message
back to the newsgroup and it created a new posting.

Tested in mozilla.test

gwtc

Apr 27, 2006, 12:13:21 PM4/27/06
Miles wrote:

> By the way, how does one go about setting a followup to another address
> which I have not seen before, using Mozilla 1.7.12
>
> Miles

I'm at a loss here. Need more info?

Brian Mailman

Apr 27, 2006, 3:51:32 PM4/27/06
gwtc wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:
>> gwtc wrote:
>>

>>>Miles, I'm curious on how you managed to post a reply to Chris'
>>>message, when he set a followup to mozilla.general.
>>

>> It's called "resetting the followup" All you need to do is change the
>> newsgroup line.

> what do you mean by that. I tested it out. I created a message and

> put a follow up to another group. Then I forwarded to that message
> back to the newsgroup and it created a new posting.
>
> Tested in mozilla.test

When you reply, it creates a composition window. Right under your From:
is the Newsgroup line. Change it to the group you want.

and respond to your reply.

B/

gwtc

Apr 27, 2006, 6:46:50 PM4/27/06
Brian Mailman wrote:

I did another test in mozilla.test and this time it worked. Got it
now. Thanks.

Oh boy, Chris is going to hate us now. ;-) O:-)

Brian Mailman

Apr 27, 2006, 9:57:20 PM4/27/06
gwtc wrote:

We will only use our force for good.