Bookmarks Drop Down Menu

Bill Martin

Jul 30, 2008, 2:27:57 PM7/30/08
Is there a way to alter the bookmarks drop down menu? Specifically,
I'd like to drive a stake through the heart of the "Bookmarks Toolbar"
entry since I don't use that toolbar in the first place.

While I'm at it I'd also like to permanently delete the "Bookmark All
Tabs" and "Subscribe to this page" entries from the bookmarks
drop-down as they're never used either.

I've trolled through the about:config settings, but don't see any
obvious (to me) way to delete these recent additions to FF.

Thanks.

Bill

EE

Jul 30, 2008, 2:49:36 PM7/30/08

The Bookmarks Toolbar is not deletable. Why not just hide it from view
as a toolbar and use it for storage? With Windows Firefox, I keep my
bookmarklets in it, but have it hidden. With the Mac, I have it
visible, with bookmarklets and the search bar in it.

Ron Hunter

Jul 30, 2008, 3:32:32 PM7/30/08
Bill,
You really should experiment with the bookmarks toolbar. It is by
far one of the best user interface features in Firefox. Even IE8 copies
it! It is also both convenient, and powerful as a way to access
oft-used websites.

Bill Martin

Jul 30, 2008, 3:42:08 PM7/30/08

--------------------------------

The toolbar itself I've sucessfully killed. It's the link to it in
the bookmarks drop-down menu I'm trying to delete now.

I don't much like "improvements" in software that take space away from
looking at the things I'm actually interested in. Many outfits do
that with their software.

Thanks.

Bill

Bill Martin

Jul 30, 2008, 3:48:00 PM7/30/08
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:32:32 -0500, Ron Hunter <rphu...@charter.net>
wrote:

----------------------------

My view is that FF already gives me nice ways to organize my bookmarks
in any way I think best which I do use. I really don't want/need FF
guessing at what maybe, I might, just possibly want and chewing up
screen space to organize their guesses for me. I'm happy for it to be
in the product for those who want the feature, but there should be
some way to kill it for those who don't want it IMHO.

(Computers "helping" me by doing things I don't want done in in the
first place has been something of a pet peeve for 30 years now.)

Ah well...

Bill

Dave Symes

Jul 30, 2008, 4:31:26 PM7/30/08
In article <6bOdnYNjka5OXA3V...@mozilla.org>,

Ron, could you expand in that a bit?
I can see nothing of merit in a "thing" that just keeps a list of places
I've recently visited, it doesn't have any other function I can see.

I assume you know something I don't, so the illumination of my darkness
would be useful.

Dave S

BTW: I don't particularly want a list of places I've recently visited. :-{
D.

Sanjeet Sodhi

Jul 30, 2008, 5:20:56 PM7/30/08
to Firefox user help

You can put RSS feeds on it, and access them ridiculously easily.

Ron Hunter

Jul 30, 2008, 7:18:16 PM7/30/08
If you really want to maximize your space, take a look at my setup.
http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk389/rphunter42/FF3.jpg

Is this frugal of space enough? If not, the extension I use to compress
the bookmarks to an icon can also make the toolbar 'autohide'.

Ron Hunter

Jul 30, 2008, 7:19:36 PM7/30/08
I can see that you have no idea how the bookmarks toolbar works, or what
convenience it adds. Be happy with the way you are doing things.

Ron Hunter

Jul 30, 2008, 7:25:16 PM7/30/08
I take it you never visit the same site more than once?
If you do, and I suspect, strongly, that you DO, then the bookmarks
toolbar does much more than you think.

Perhaps a picture will illustrate better.
http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk389/rphunter42/ff32.jpg

This demonstrates the ease of use of the bookmarks, and it is simple to
just drag and drop any URL to any level of those dropdown and cascading
menus. Try it, you'll like it.

Miles

Jul 30, 2008, 7:35:11 PM7/30/08

At the present my bookmarks toolbar is limited to the entries that were
in Personal Toolbar in version 2x. In 3.01 is there another personal
toolbar that can be used and if so presumably I could return the BM
toolbar to listing of the entire BM list.
Miles

Ron Hunter

Jul 30, 2008, 9:40:50 PM7/30/08

As far as I know, the 'personal toolbar' and 'bookmarks toolbar' are the
same thing. If you look at the image I sent, you will see how this
works on my system, and the customization I have done to the toolbars.
I would as soon use IE6 as do without the bookmarks toolbar in FF.

Miles

Jul 30, 2008, 9:45:34 PM7/30/08

If personal toolbar (bookmarks toolbar) views every single BM, how can
one have visible only those few that are opened several times daily in
the toolbar across the top of the screen. As it was I had to delete a
few items to get them to fit and some have very strong abbreviations
(such as fin for finance, Gmaps,Gcal, etc. etc.

Dave Symes

Jul 31, 2008, 2:17:09 AM7/31/08
In article <8KidnX6wlIfCZQ3V...@mozilla.org>,
Ron Hunter <rphu...@charter.net> wrote:
> Dave Symes wrote:
Question stuff about the Bookmarks toolbar...

[Snip]

> I take it you never visit the same site more than once?
> If you do, and I suspect, strongly, that you DO, then the bookmarks
> toolbar does much more than you think.

> Perhaps a picture will illustrate better.
> http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk389/rphunter42/ff32.jpg

> This demonstrates the ease of use of the bookmarks, and it is simple to
> just drag and drop any URL to any level of those dropdown and cascading
> menus. Try it, you'll like it.

Ah! I now see. For it to be of any significant use, a number of category
directories need to be dragged in or created.

The piccy was most illustrative.

Thanks
Dave S

Ron Hunter

Jul 31, 2008, 4:17:32 AM7/31/08
Thanks. I am sure that many users aren't aware of this capability of
Firefox. One of its strongest features, in my opinion. The FF3 system
is capable of even more power, for those who need to be able to add
statistical things to their bookmarks.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

Bill Martin

Jul 31, 2008, 2:27:06 PM7/31/08
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:19:36 -0500, Ron Hunter <rphu...@charter.net>
wrote:

-------------------

I've seen it, I've played with it, I just don't find it useful to the
way I work. My bookmarks are already organized precisely as I want
them into categories, subtrees, etc., accessible from the drop-down.

Different strokes...

Bill

EE

Jul 31, 2008, 3:11:21 PM7/31/08

You can hide it. Go to the View menu, choose Toolbars > Bookmarks
Toolbar and uncheck it.

Bill Martin

Jul 31, 2008, 4:53:32 PM7/31/08

--------------------------------

That's not the issue. I have gotten rid of the toolbar. It's the
"Bookmarks Toolbar" entry in the Bookmarks drop down menu that I'd
also like to get rid of.

Bill

barkingbill

Jul 31, 2008, 5:32:29 PM7/31/08

Have you had a look at the Bookmarks Menu Toolbar Button extension? -

Bill.

Message has been deleted

»Q«

Aug 1, 2008, 12:15:24 AM8/1/08
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:53:32 -0400
Bill Martin <martin_...@verizon.net> wrote:

> "Bookmarks Toolbar" entry in the Bookmarks drop down menu that I'd
> also like to get rid of.

Either add this to userChrome.css or use the Stylish extension to add
it.

#bookmarksToolbarFolderMenu { display: none !important;}
#organizeBookmarksSeparator { display: none !important;}

The second line hides the separators around the (now gone) menu entry.
The Stylish home page is <http://userstyles.org/stylish/>.

Bill Martin

Aug 1, 2008, 3:28:30 PM8/1/08
On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:39:08 +1000, Rom <-...@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:27:57 -0400, Bill Martin wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to alter the bookmarks drop down menu? Specifically,
>> I'd like to drive a stake through the heart of the "Bookmarks Toolbar"
>> entry since I don't use that toolbar in the first place.
>>
>> While I'm at it I'd also like to permanently delete the "Bookmark All
>> Tabs" and "Subscribe to this page" entries from the bookmarks
>> drop-down as they're never used either.
>

>To not display those bookmark menu items mentioned above try adding:
>
>#menuedit-bookmarksMenuPopup-Bookmark_All_Tabs8230,
>#subscribeToPageMenuitem,
>#subscribeToPageMenupopup,
>#bookmarksToolbarFolderMenu {
> display: none !important;
>}
>
>to the userChrome.css file in the chrome folder of your profile, and
>[re]start Fx. See the userChrome-example.css file in the chrome folder
>of your profile for guidance and:
><http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox#Finding_the_profile_folder>
><http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css>

That did the trick. Thank you very much.

Bill

Bill Martin

Aug 1, 2008, 3:29:48 PM8/1/08

Editing chrome does the trick - and opens up vast possibilites that I
didn't realize were there.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Miles

Aug 9, 2008, 6:07:42 PM8/9/08
* Rom wrote, On 7/31/2008 19:39:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:27:57 -0400, Bill Martin wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to alter the bookmarks drop down menu? Specifically,
>> I'd like to drive a stake through the heart of the "Bookmarks Toolbar"
>> entry since I don't use that toolbar in the first place.
>>
>> While I'm at it I'd also like to permanently delete the "Bookmark All
>> Tabs" and "Subscribe to this page" entries from the bookmarks
>> drop-down as they're never used either.
>
> To not display those bookmark menu items mentioned above try adding:
>
> #menuedit-bookmarksMenuPopup-Bookmark_All_Tabs8230,
> #subscribeToPageMenuitem,
> #subscribeToPageMenupopup,
> #bookmarksToolbarFolderMenu {
> display: none !important;
> }
>
> to the userChrome.css file in the chrome folder of your profile, and
> [re]start Fx. See the userChrome-example.css file in the chrome folder
> of your profile for guidance and:
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox#Finding_the_profile_folder>
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css>

I have put into userChrome.css:

#menuedit-bookmarksMenuPopup-Bookmark_All_Tabs8230,
#subscribeToPageMenuitem,
#subscribeToPageMenupopup, {
display: none !important;
}

Yet "Subscribe to this page" is still seen as is it's drop down window
when on a site such as wikipedia. So I tried changing the wording to
"#subscribe_to_this_page....," but no change. Any ideas on how to
eradicate it?
Miles

Miles

Aug 9, 2008, 6:22:27 PM8/9/08

Discovered that be deleting the line, "#bookmarksToolbarFolderMenu",
then none of it is operating -- BM all tabs & subscribe to next page
remains. Why in the heck is that?

»Q«

Aug 9, 2008, 6:33:40 PM8/9/08
On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 15:07:42 -0700
Miles <mile...@REMOVEMEpacbell.net> wrote:

> I have put into userChrome.css:
>
> #menuedit-bookmarksMenuPopup-Bookmark_All_Tabs8230,
> #subscribeToPageMenuitem,
> #subscribeToPageMenupopup, {
> display: none !important;
> }
>
> Yet "Subscribe to this page" is still seen as is it's drop down
> window when on a site such as wikipedia.

Remove the last comma, right before the {

If you use the Stylish extension, it will prompt if there's a css
syntax error -- it doesn't tell you where the error is, but it at
least saves you from second-guessing the selectors.

<http://userstyles.org/stylish.html>

Miles

Aug 10, 2008, 2:08:19 PM8/10/08

That did it, thank you! Now I'll take a look at stylish.
Miles