Favicons won't show up in personal toolbar

Eckard

Sep 23, 2006, 5:05:03 AM9/23/06

in order to switch from Seamonkey (slowness of message opening in mail
and news) to FF/TB I recently installed FF 1.5.0.7, importing my SM
profile, but favicons won't be displayed in my personal bookmarks
toolbar. Yet they show up in the bookmarks folder. In about:config
"browser.chrome.favicons" and "browser.chrome.site_icons" are both set
to "true" and "browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons" is "2".
This is surprising since favicons do show up in my SM toolbar folder and
I remember that they also did in an older FF version I tested last year.
Any suggestions? My platform is Mac OS 10.3.9.

Thanks in advance,

Eckard

Chris Ilias

Sep 23, 2006, 1:09:50 PM9/23/06
_Eckard_ spoke thusly on 23/09/2006 5:05 AM:

|browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons| does not apply to Firefox.
Try revisiting the websites on your PT.
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

Eckard

Sep 23, 2006, 3:16:20 PM9/23/06
Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Eckard_ spoke thusly on 23/09/2006 5:05 AM:
>> in order to switch from Seamonkey (slowness of message opening in mail
>> and news) to FF/TB I recently installed FF 1.5.0.7, importing my SM
>> profile, but favicons won't be displayed in my personal bookmarks
>> toolbar. Yet they show up in the bookmarks folder. In about:config
>> "browser.chrome.favicons" and "browser.chrome.site_icons" are both set
>> to "true" and "browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons" is "2".
>> This is surprising since favicons do show up in my SM toolbar folder
>> and I remember that they also did in an older FF version I tested last
>> year.
>> Any suggestions? My platform is Mac OS 10.3.9.
>
> |browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons| does not apply to Firefox.

Thanks Chris, you're right, I made en error.
I meant: |browser.chrome.toolbar_style| is set to "2" in my FF about:config.

> Try revisiting the websites on your PT.

Already tried that but it won't bring the favicons into my personal
toolbar. The mystery persists...

Eckard

Brian J. Graham

Sep 23, 2006, 5:50:16 PM9/23/06

Next thing to try is to remove the bookmark in your personal toolbar and
rebookmark it and see if that puts the favicon there. I find I have to
do that sometimes when a site is temporarily unavailable and FF & SM put
that annoying yellow triangle favicon there ..and sometimes it won't go
away when the site comes back up ..only way to get the site favicon back
is to rebookmark ..annoying? *YOU BET* !!

--
Brian

. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html

gwtc

Sep 23, 2006, 6:07:18 PM9/23/06
I find just revisiting the site works

--
An recent Italian immigrant to New York wanted a job, but the foreman
won't hire him until he passes a little math test. "Here's your first
question," the foreman said. "Without using numbers, represent the
number 9." "Without numbers?" the Italian says, "Dat is easy." And he
proceeds to draw three trees. "What's this?" the boss asks. "Ave you
got no brain? Tree and tree and tree make nine," says the Italian.
"Fair enough," says the boss. "Here's your second question. Use the
same rules, but this time the number is 99." The Italian stares into
space for a while, then picks up the picture that he has just drawn
and makes a smudge on each tree. "Ere you go." The boss scratches his
head and says, "How on earth do you get that to represent 99?" "Each
of da trees is dirty now. So, it's dirty tree, and dirty tree, and
dirty tree. Dat is 99." "All right, last question. Same rules again,
but represent the number 100." The Italian man stares into space some
more, then he picks up the picture again and makes a little mark at
the base of each tree and says, "Ere you go. One hundred." The boss
looks at the attempt. "You must be nuts if you think that represents a
hundred!" . . . You're going to love this one!!! But unfortunately,
its to be continued. You're going to have to wait till tomorrow for
the punch line!

Brian J. Graham

Sep 23, 2006, 6:21:32 PM9/23/06

Doesn't always work here! A perfect example is a live view of Vancouver
(http://www.katkam.ca/p.asp?what=currentjpg). When it is down I get the
triangle favicon ..and when it is back up I can't always get rid of that
favicon with a revisit ..sometimes ..but not always.

gwtc

Sep 23, 2006, 6:32:26 PM9/23/06
Brian J. Graham wrote:

> Doesn't always work here! A perfect example is a live view of Vancouver
> (http://www.katkam.ca/p.asp?what=currentjpg). When it is down I get the
> triangle favicon ..and when it is back up I can't always get rid of that
> favicon with a revisit ..sometimes ..but not always.

you must have been reading my mind. I'm heading there tomorrow, for
lunch on one of those boats.

Eckard

Sep 23, 2006, 6:46:14 PM9/23/06

I'ld win the bet, Graham, since I have tried that, too! It's not that
some favicons are missing or have been replaced by the yellow triangle,
there isn't *any* favicon in my PT, only text. Maybe I should delete and
reinstall FF but I'm not very hopeful. Or wait for the next update?

Eckard

Chris Ilias

Sep 24, 2006, 2:12:24 AM9/24/06
_Eckard_ spoke thusly on 23/09/2006 6:46 PM:

> I'ld win the bet, Graham, since I have tried that, too! It's not that
> some favicons are missing or have been replaced by the yellow triangle,
> there isn't *any* favicon in my PT, only text. Maybe I should delete and
> reinstall FF but I'm not very hopeful. Or wait for the next update?

What theme are you using?
Are you using any userChrome.css scripts?
Any extensions installed?

Eckard

Sep 24, 2006, 5:28:20 AM9/24/06
Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Eckard_ spoke thusly on 23/09/2006 6:46 PM:
>> I'ld win the bet, Graham, since I have tried that, too! It's not that
>> some favicons are missing or have been replaced by the yellow
>> triangle, there isn't *any* favicon in my PT, only text. Maybe I
>> should delete and reinstall FF but I'm not very hopeful. Or wait for
>> the next update?
>
> What theme are you using?
> Are you using any userChrome.css scripts?
> Any extensions installed?

I use the default theme: Firefox (default) 2.0.
No userChrome.css scripts are used.
DOM inspector 1.8.0.7, Flashblock 1.5.1, and Adblock Plus 0.7.1.2 are
installed.

Wladimir Palant

Sep 24, 2006, 10:01:43 AM9/24/06
Eckard wrote:
> Adblock Plus 0.7.1.2 are installed.

I'm sure somebody will come up with this speculation but Adblock Plus
definitely isn't it, it always checks whether the image is located in
chrome content, so it won't block favicons.

--
Wladimir Palant
Adblock Plus developer (http://adblockplus.org/)

Brian J. Graham

Sep 24, 2006, 5:41:10 PM9/24/06

Have you tried creating a fresh test profile and setting it to show
favicons to see if they show up as they should there?

Eckard

Sep 25, 2006, 5:39:50 AM9/25/06
Brian J. Graham wrote:
> Eckard wrote:
>> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>> _Eckard_ spoke thusly on 23/09/2006 6:46 PM:
>>>
>>> What theme are you using?
>>> Are you using any userChrome.css scripts?
>>> Any extensions installed?
>>
>> I use the default theme: Firefox (default) 2.0.
>> No userChrome.css scripts are used.
>> DOM inspector 1.8.0.7, Flashblock 1.5.1, and Adblock Plus 0.7.1.2 are
>> installed.
>
> Have you tried creating a fresh test profile and setting it to show
> favicons to see if they show up as they should there?

Yes, I've already tried that, too. Uninstall and reinstall FF, creating
a new profile instead of importing my Seamonkey profile. No success. As
I said, I remember having the favicons in the personal toolbar in an
earlier FF version I tested (without keeping it) last year. That's how I
discovered the favicons! Is there a way to get hold of a <1.5 FF
version, just to make a test? I'm more and more convinced that there is
a bug in the Mac version...

Leonidas Jones

Sep 25, 2006, 8:44:18 AM9/25/06
Eckard wrote:
> Brian J. Graham wrote:
>> Eckard wrote:
/snip/

>> Have you tried creating a fresh test profile and setting it to show
>> favicons to see if they show up as they should there?
>>
> Yes, I've already tried that, too. Uninstall and reinstall FF, creating
> a new profile instead of importing my Seamonkey profile. No success. As
> I said, I remember having the favicons in the personal toolbar in an
> earlier FF version I tested (without keeping it) last year. That's how I
> discovered the favicons! Is there a way to get hold of a <1.5 FF
> version, just to make a test? I'm more and more convinced that there is
> a bug in the Mac version...

No, its working fine here, FF 1.5.0.7, both on 10.4.7, and 10.3.9.

I wish I had more to add other then what has already been suggested

Lee

The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

Eckard

Sep 26, 2006, 5:05:47 AM9/26/06
Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Eckard wrote:
>> Brian J. Graham wrote:
> /snip/
>>>
>>> Have you tried creating a fresh test profile and setting it to show
>>> favicons to see if they show up as they should there?
>>>
>> Yes, I've already tried that, too. Uninstall and reinstall FF,
>> creating a new profile instead of importing my Seamonkey profile. No
>> success. As I said, I remember having the favicons in the personal
>> toolbar in an earlier FF version I tested (without keeping it) last
>> year. That's how I discovered the favicons! Is there a way to get hold
>> of a <1.5 FF version, just to make a test? I'm more and more convinced
>> that there is a bug in the Mac version...
>
> No, its working fine here, FF 1.5.0.7, both on 10.4.7, and 10.3.9.
>
> I wish I had more to add other then what has already been suggested
>
> Lee

So it must be my Mac, a corrupted file hidden somewhere. But where could
I look for it?

Eckard

Eckard

Sep 26, 2006, 11:12:19 AM9/26/06

Folks (I hope some of you return to this thread), after a hard time with
Google, at last I found a clue on a German website!! For those who read
German: http://gigold.de/archiv/2006/08/02/mac-browser-und-faviconico/
I had to install the theme "Crystal Dream" and the miracle happened: all
the tiny icons returned to my personal toolbar! Don't ask me why it
works with the Crystal Dream theme and not with the default theme on my Mac.
Finally, Chris wasn't that far from hitting the mark with his question
about what theme I was using :-)
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Eckard

Leonidas Jones

Sep 26, 2006, 11:21:59 AM9/26/06

Interesting. I've been using Outlook Blue for quite a while, and had no
problems.