addins no longer appear/work

mark r

Aug 20, 2007, 2:22:19 AM8/20/07
i had some trouble with firefox being hijacked by Yahoo and got advice
to uninstall it and any add on's i was using then reinstall firefox
which i did

it didnt fix the problem and now add ons dont work either.

how can i completely kill firefox and all settngs to have a fresh
install to try and get it working. where are all the hidden files kept
(on vista)

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 20, 2007, 1:40:38 PM8/20/07

they're kept in the FF profile. Close FF, then click on the
Windows start button, then run and enter:

Firefox.exe -p

this will bring up the FF profile manager. From there, you
and find where the profile is kept and/or if you want to
delete it. Or remove it from the profile manager, but not
delete the files.

or Reply to Author. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Fred W.

Aug 20, 2007, 3:28:16 PM8/20/07
Be sure to get your Fx download from www.getfirefox.com or you might get
an altered version with the hijack built in.

David McRitchie

Aug 20, 2007, 3:52:21 PM8/20/07
"Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" ...

> mark r wrote:
>> i had some trouble with firefox being hijacked by Yahoo and got advice
>> to uninstall it and any add on's i was using then reinstall firefox
>> which i did
>>
>> it didnt fix the problem and now add ons dont work either.
>>
>> how can i completely kill firefox and all settngs to have a fresh
>> install to try and get it working. where are all the hidden files kept
>> (on vista)
>>

> they're kept in the FF profile. Close FF, then click on the Windows start
> button, then run and enter:
>
> Firefox.exe -p
>
> this will bring up the FF profile manager. From there, you and find where
> the profile is kept and/or if you want to delete it. Or remove it from
> the profile manager, but not delete the files.

Try Peter's (Grant's) suggestion, as that will help determine the problem.
If that works you might want to see if you can continue using your old
profile
with some changes...

You might want to see if this would work, deleting some files from your
profile that
Firefox will recreate. The localstore.rdf will remove your toolbar
customizations
so if you can see your toolbar changes suggest you take a picture of them
beforehand
to help recustomize them later. Posting by Nir
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=KYKdnfWaavp0i37YnZ2dnUVZ_sfinZ2d%40mozilla.org

--
HTH,
David McRitchie,

EE

Aug 20, 2007, 4:07:35 PM8/20/07

I would get Firefox from mozilla.org. Best place to get it is from its
maker.

Alex K.

Aug 21, 2007, 7:07:15 AM8/21/07
EE wrote:
> Fred W. > wrote:

<snip>

>> Be sure to get your Fx download from www.getfirefox.com or you might get
>> an altered version with the hijack built in.
>
> I would get Firefox from mozilla.org. Best place to get it is from its
> maker.

I think this has been discussed before, or maybe it was on the TB group,
or maybe I'm dreaming. :-)

www.getfirefox.com is just a redirect to www.mozilla.com/firefox/. This
can be seen here:
http://web-sniffer.net/?url=www.getfirefox.com

"HTTP Status Code: HTTP/1.1 302 Found"

This header indicates that the requested page is at a different URL,
that it has temporarily moved.

"Location: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/"

This header provides the new location, so the client can automatically
redirect.

Looking at the response headers for www.mozilla.com/firefox/ :
http://web-sniffer.net/?url=www.mozilla.com/firefox/

We see, again, a redirect header:

"HTTP Status Code: HTTP/1.1 302 Found"
"Location: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/"

If we look at the headers that were sent in the request, we see:

I believe, based on an educated guess, that this is how the server is
deciding which locale to send us to, either through a server side script
or an entry in the server's .htaccess file.

Now, on the that page, www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/, if I examine the
download URL, it shows:
http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-2.0.0.6&os=win&lang=en-US

Going to www.mozilla.org simply tells you:

"Firefox and Thunderbird
Looking for Firefox or Thunderbird? You'll find them and a whole lot
more at Mozilla.com.", with a link to www.mozilla.com. If I click that
link, I am redirected to www.mozilla.com/en-US/, again, undoubtedly
based on the same procedure as above.

On that page, examining the download link for FF shows, again:
http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-2.0.0.6&os=win&lang=en-US

Exactly the same URL as the previous download link.

And as one final check, for anyone who still has doubts, a whois lookup
reveals that getfirefox.com is registered to:
http://www.markmonitor.com/cgi-bin/affsearch.cgi?dn=getfirefox.com

"Registrant:
Mozilla Corporation (DOM-1509445)
1981 Landings Dr.
Mountain View CA 94043
US"

So, you can get to the current, official, unadulterated, no
preservatives added, release a number of ways:

www.getfirefox.com
www.mozilla.org
www.mozilla.com

They will all wind up pointing you to the same file.

Hope this clears it up.

--
Alex K.

mark r

Oct 13, 2007, 3:04:56 AM10/13/07
On Aug 21, 12:07 pm, "Alex K." <akfro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> EE wrote:
> > Fred W. > wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> Be sure to get your Fx download fromwww.getfirefox.comor you might get

> >> an altered version with the hijack built in.
>
> > I would get Firefox from mozilla.org. Best place to get it is from its
> > maker.
>
> I think this has been discussed before, or maybe it was on the TB group,
> or maybe I'm dreaming. :-)
>
> www.getfirefox.comis just a redirect towww.mozilla.com/firefox/. This

> can be seen here:http://web-sniffer.net/?url=www.getfirefox.com
>
> "HTTP Status Code: HTTP/1.1 302 Found"
>
> This header indicates that the requested page is at a different URL,
> that it has temporarily moved.
>
> "Location:http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/"
>
> This header provides the new location, so the client can automatically
> redirect.
>
> Looking at the response headers forwww.mozilla.com/firefox/:http://web-sniffer.net/?url=www.mozilla.com/firefox/

> We see, again, a redirect header:
>
> "HTTP Status Code: HTTP/1.1 302 Found"
> "Location:http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/"
>
> If we look at the headers that were sent in the request, we see:

> I believe, based on an educated guess, that this is how the server is
> deciding which locale to send us to, either through a server side script
> or an entry in the server's .htaccess file.
>
> Now, on the that page,www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/, if I examine the
> download URL, it shows:http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-2.0.0.6...
>
> Going towww.mozilla.orgsimply tells you:

> "Firefox and Thunderbird
> Looking for Firefox or Thunderbird? You'll find them and a whole lot
> more at Mozilla.com.", with a link towww.mozilla.com. If I click that
> link, I am redirected towww.mozilla.com/en-US/, again, undoubtedly

> based on the same procedure as above.
>
> On that page, examining the download link for FF shows, again:http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-2.0.0.6...

> Exactly the same URL as the previous download link.
>
> And as one final check, for anyone who still has doubts, a whois lookup
> reveals that getfirefox.com is registered to:http://www.markmonitor.com/cgi-bin/affsearch.cgi?dn=getfirefox.com
>
> "Registrant:
> Mozilla Corporation (DOM-1509445)
> 1981 Landings Dr.
> Mountain View CA 94043
> US"
>
> So, you can get to the current, official, unadulterated, no
> preservatives added, release a number of ways:
>
> www.getfirefox.comwww.mozilla.orgwww.mozilla.com
>
> They will all wind up pointing you to the same file.
>
> Hope this clears it up.
>
> --
> Alex K.

nope still doesnt work! cant install the google toolbar :(

mark