Retrieve pictures from cache

Barking Dog

Mar 12, 2008, 3:44:46 PM3/12/08
Hi.

Is there a way to retrieve pictures from the Firefox cache?

Firefox 2.0.0.12 for windows.

Thanks

raf

Mar 12, 2008, 5:24:04 PM3/12/08

How about opening the cache directory with an image viewer and save the
image that you want.

Dave Symes

Mar 12, 2008, 5:56:22 PM3/12/08
In article <200803121...@usenet.mouse-potato.com>,

That's a neat idea. :-)

Hangonamo... Little problem, where exactly does Firefox hang its Cache
Directory?
I've looked inside my Profile, nothing there.
Cheers
Dave S

Rich

Mar 12, 2008, 6:10:56 PM3/12/08

"Dave Symes" <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote in message
I'm using Vista so yours might be different. You didn't say which OS your
using so change a little to adapt to XP.

C:\Users\MYNAME\appdata\local\mozilla\firefox\profiles\2342343blahblahblah.default\cache\*.*

XP woud be a little different.

Good luck, Rich

David McRitchie

Mar 12, 2008, 6:53:40 PM3/12/08
"Rich" wrote:.

> I'm using Vista so yours might be different. You didn't say which OS your
> using so change a little to adapt to XP.
>
> C:\Users\MYNAME\appdata\local\mozilla\firefox\profiles\2342343blahblahblah.default\cache\*.*
> XP woud be a little different.

To find your profile directory:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/profile.htm
but to find your cache direction use about:cache
on the location bar.

As far as finding your profile goes, I have many profiles, and kind
of think it worthwhile to to install an extension (though I think it is
piss poor decision to purposely hide information on profile directory
from casual users, or to make assumptions about casual users)..

but if you want more than the pictures, and to know what you
are looking at see
CacheViewer, by benki
is GUI Front-end of "about:cache", and allows
searching and sorting memory and disk cache files.
Once installed invoked from the Tools menu
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2489

More information on extensions on my home page...
--
HTH,
David McRitchie,

captjlddavis

Mar 12, 2008, 8:06:49 PM3/12/08
You can locate the cache for the profile in use as follows:
Enter in the location bar - about:cache

shows something like(at the botttom):
Cache Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local
Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<your profile name>\Cache

If you created the profile in other than default location, the cache
will be in the profile directory.

List Cache Entries will give you a list of ALL entries - how you would
find the one you want, I have no idea.

HTH

regards:captjlddavis

Blinky the Shark

Mar 13, 2008, 12:52:03 AM3/13/08

Heck, after you get to moz, that's even where it is on this Linux box:
.mozilla\firefox\profiles\2342343blahblahblah.default\cache\*.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Blinky the Shark

Mar 13, 2008, 12:59:39 AM3/13/08

Uh...well, except that our slashes go in the right direction. :) (That
was a paste of part of Rich's path example that I should've edited.)

David McRitchie

Mar 13, 2008, 12:07:38 AM3/13/08
"Blinky the Shark"
> Heck, after you get to moz, that's even where it is on this Linux box:
> .mozilla\firefox\profiles\2342343blahblahblah.default\cache\*.

Whether cache is in the profile or not you will want to use an extension
to read them, see my previous answer in this thread, if not seen then see
through Google Groups.

http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.firefox/browse_frm/thread/47dcba3d5aadf22f/26a5e833bb7af8e2?tvc=1#26a5e833bb7af8e2

Dave Symes

Mar 13, 2008, 2:19:57 AM3/13/08
In article <rpSdnTokjcTKwkXa...@mozilla.org>,

Thanks for the above info, very useful.
As noted in another reply, I was looking in slightly the wrong place.
Addon 2489 looks interesting, I must have a play.

Cheers
Dave S

Dave Symes

Mar 13, 2008, 2:10:12 AM3/13/08
In article <QPGdnX0Ju4ZxyUXa...@mozilla.org>,
Rich <madey...@dot.com> wrote:

> "Dave Symes" <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote in message

[Snip]

> > That's a neat idea. :-)
> >
> > Hangonamo... Little problem, where exactly does Firefox hang its
> > Cache Directory? I've looked inside my Profile, nothing there. Cheers
> > Dave S
> >
> > --
> >
> I'm using Vista so yours might be different. You didn't say which OS
> your using so change a little to adapt to XP.

> C:\Users\MYNAME\appdata\local\mozilla\firefox\profiles\2342343blahblahbla
> h.default\cache\*.*

> XP would be a little different.

> Good luck, Rich

Thanks for that.
I was looking in the wrong place. Instead of ...\appdata\local... I was
looking at my Ff profile in ...appdata\Roaming...

Nail on the head BTW. At the time, it was a Vista machine.

Cheers
Dave S

PS: Must etch a note in my brain about specifying OS when I write... At
present I'm running three OS types, a d I just move between them without
really thinking about it.
D. ;-)

Ralph Fox

Mar 13, 2008, 5:15:42 AM3/13/08

Yes.

No problem. The trick is to use Firefox, not Explorer, to
view Firefox's cache. And you don't even need an extension.

Step-by-step instructions

1. Put Firefox into offline mode.
File -> Work Offline
I will explain why, in step 4.

2. Enter this in the URL bar
about:cache?device=disk

Firefox will display a list of *all* the URLs in the Firefox cache.

3. Click on one of the URLs in the list (like the URL of a picture).

Firefox will show you a second page, with more information for
just that one cache entry. For example

|             key:   http://en.www.mozilla.com/img/home/main-feature.jpg
|     fetch count:   4
|    last fetched:   2008-03-13 21:56:55
|   last modified:   2008-03-01 20:31:57
|         expires:   2008-03-01 20:46:38
|       Data size:   46754
|    file on disk:   C:\Documents and Settings\*BarkingDog*\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\????????.default\Cache\7FE146EAd01
|        Security:   This document does not have any security info associated with it.

4. On this second page, you can
A. Click on the URL to view the picture.
B. Or, right-click on the URL and choose "Save Link As", to
retrieve the entry and save it as a file.

You can retrieve from cache even when it says "file on disk: none".

Now to explain why you first put Firefox into offline mode.

If Firefox is not in offline mode, then in step 4 Firefox will
most likely try to retrieve the picture from the web instead of
from cache, deleting the old cache entry in the process.

If Firefox is in offline mode, step 4 will view and retrieve
from the cache not from the web.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Melchert Fruitema

Mar 13, 2008, 5:45:03 AM3/13/08
On 13-03-2008 07:10 CET, Dave Symes composed this enchanting statement:
> <x>

> PS: Must etch a note in my brain about specifying OS when I write... At
> present I'm running three OS types, a d I just move between them without
> really thinking about it.
> D. ;-)

Put that note in your newsgroup signature, rather ...

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

David McRitchie

Mar 13, 2008, 9:14:01 AM3/13/08
"Ralph Fox"
> 2. Enter this in the URL bar [see Ralph's posting for all steps]

> about:cache?device=disk
> Firefox will display a list of *all* the URLs in the Firefox cache.

Hi Ralph,
Your reply with explicit steps work well for Fx2 but step 2 fails, does nothing,
in Fx3 (Minefield).

Also from my suggestion CacheViewer https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2489/
which saves steps for each picture to be viewed in Fx2 does not work in Fx3.

There is a good article on topic and it shows pictures including use of CacheViewer
Web Browser Forensics, Part 2
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1832
as the title implies, the reason for the article is more than just viewing pictures in cache.

To display online/offline mode on the status bar would recommend also installing
Work Offline (23KB, download), by Naoyuki ASANO

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9b5pre) Gecko/2008031205 Minefield/3.0b5pre

Dave Symes

Mar 13, 2008, 2:15:25 PM3/13/08
In article <ZsidnSYDlf09akXa...@mozilla.org>,

Melchert Fruitema <mel.n...@hccnet.ppppmf> wrote:
> On 13-03-2008 07:10 CET, Dave Symes composed this enchanting statement:
> > <x>
> >
> > PS: Must etch a note in my brain about specifying OS when I write...
> > At present I'm running three OS types, a d I just move between them
> > without really thinking about it.
> > D. ;-)
> >

> Put that note in your newsgroup signature, rather ...

Mmnn! Good thought, but not quite sure what that would achieve... Maybe
confusion, for example. :-(

SARPC OS: RISC OS 6.06 Mail/News Client Pluto.
Laptop OS: Vista Mail/News client Thunderbird.
Desktop OS: Win XP Mail/News client Gemini.

So unless you examined the header of my posting, you still wouldn't know
which machine I was writing with/about.

Cheers
Dave S

PS: Yes I could have a different Sig file for each machine...