Firefox "hangs" are more frequent after waking computer from sleep mode

Storm

Aug 25, 2008, 1:54:02 PM8/25/08
I've just noticed that the "toxic hangs" (in which FF3 hangs and won't
go away for a long time, despite numerous attempts to close the window
and exit the program) are more common when I start FF after waking my XP
laptop from sleep mode (as opposed to a cold boot). Does that tell any
of you FF experts anything about what might be triggering the hangs?
Note: I usually close FF before closing the lid. The hang seems to be
precipitated when I try to scroll down before the page is finished loading.

Sjouke Burry

Aug 25, 2008, 2:39:05 PM8/25/08
Reboot efficiently removes a lot of errors,memory leak and
other time-dependent errors.
Starting with a clean system is what I always do.

Storm

Aug 25, 2008, 9:02:27 PM8/25/08
Sure, I know that. What I'm trying to do is avoid having to reboot on a
constant basis. I'm trying to fix Firefox, not learn to live with its
"toxic hangs" that won't go away.

Ron Hunter

Aug 25, 2008, 9:10:23 PM8/25/08

If you mean by 'sleep', hibernate, some laptops do have miscellaneous
problems when coming back on. Mine does everything fine after awakening
except I can't use the internal modem after wakening. Crashes nastily.
It is a known problem with my particular bios.
Do you use your laptop mostly on batteries, or do you keep it plugged in
as I do? If you leave it plugged in, just set it so it doesn't do
anything when you close the display. Mine often stays on for a month
before a reboot (MS update days).

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

Storm

Aug 26, 2008, 7:46:55 AM8/26/08
Thanks, Ron. I was referring to sleep mode, not hibernate. I normally
run on AC, except on planes. I really don't like the idea of having my
hard disk running all the time like that...surely there must be a better
way, considering all the millions of laptops out there. Also, why is it
only FireFox that has this problem upon awakening? No other program
crashes like this after sleep mode, so that makes me suspect FF.

Ron Hunter

Aug 26, 2008, 9:33:18 AM8/26/08

My laptop has various settings available as to when to shut off the
display, HD, etc. Even on AC you can shut off the HD on my laptop. You
might investigate your options on that.

I suspect, from your description, that the problem might be with the
display. You might back off on the 'acceleration' settings as these
have caused trouble with FF before on my computers.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

Storm

Aug 27, 2008, 8:08:30 AM8/27/08
Thanks, Ron. I've got no idea how to back off on my acceleration
settings, but I'll look into it. I guess that brings me back to my
original point though: it seems that every time I turn around these
days, someone if telling me that FF isn't compatible with this, or is
destabilized by that. Assuming FF developers have heard of laptop
computers, why would they ignore such a fatal incompatibility...one that
causes these hangs that take 10-20 minutes to go away after first trying
to close FF?

Storm

Aug 27, 2008, 8:12:48 AM8/27/08
Actually, I just looked at my Power Settings, and I only have two
options for when I close the lid: "Stand By" (which is what I normally
use) and "Hibernate". The options for hard disk, etc. are only assigned
to periods of inactivity.

Ron Hunter

Aug 27, 2008, 1:28:20 PM8/27/08
Someday, go to the HP website, and tell it you have a laptop, and let it
list the laptop models. Now, that is just ONE manufacturer. If mozilla
tried to test their products on all combinations of hardware, and OS, I
suspect it would be decades between releases, if not more, and then it
would only run on 10 year old machines. Grin.

It is a matter of just how much testing can reasonably be done.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

Ron Hunter

Aug 27, 2008, 1:28:55 PM8/27/08
Standby isn't 'inactivity'?

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

Storm

Aug 27, 2008, 3:36:30 PM8/27/08
I meant periods of inactivity as opposed to closing the lid. Those are
two different triggers.

Ron Hunter

Aug 27, 2008, 9:26:08 PM8/27/08
I have never been able to pin down just what 'sleep' means, even for my
own processors, but I do understand hibernate. I believe the problem I
have with hibernate is that when the system reloads the image it saved,
it neglects to reinitialize the software modem. Perhaps something
similar is happening to your display and FF is trying to use it and
getting back something strange.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

Message has been deleted

akost...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2012, 5:55:01 AM8/17/12
It is sad that a thread started to find a fix for bad behavior after suspend to ram end up with advice to not suspend...

Anyways, with recent versions of FF (14.0.1 for linux ATM) I have to restart firefow after every S2RAM. Otherwise it seems responsive but can't open any page. Also I have to actually kill it because closing the window leaves the firefox process running doing nothing. It is sad because I'm a heavy S2RAM and browser user. And nothing else breaks with S2RAM so it is a problem with FF itself.

»Q«

Aug 17, 2012, 11:16:53 PM8/17/12
On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 02:55:01 -0700 (PDT)
akost...@gmail.com wrote:

> It is sad that a thread started to find a fix for bad behavior after
> suspend to ram end up with advice to not suspend...

Reviving a thread from 2008 is probably a bad idea.

> Anyways, with recent versions of FF (14.0.1 for linux ATM) I have to
> restart firefow after every S2RAM. Otherwise it seems responsive but
> can't open any page. Also I have to actually kill it because closing
> the window leaves the firefox process running doing nothing. It is
> sad because I'm a heavy S2RAM and browser user. And nothing else
> breaks with S2RAM so it is a problem with FF itself.

I don't have any suspend/resume problems with Firefox, but I suspend to
disk rather than RAM. Do you know if other people using your distro
are having the problem you describe?