Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

Chris Ilias

Aug 23, 2006, 5:43:13 PM8/23/06
What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
if it's feasible or not.
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

gwtc

Aug 23, 2006, 5:51:47 PM8/23/06
Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.
multizilla

--
Files From The Not To Swift Department . . .

My neighbor works in the operations department in the central office
of a large bank. Employees in the field call him when they have
problems with their computers. One night he got a call from a woman in
one of the branch banks who had this question: "I've got smoke coming
from the back of my terminal. Do you guys have a fire downtown?"

clay

Aug 23, 2006, 5:51:40 PM8/23/06
Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.

Would this include features that are currently handled by extensions?
Although I only use a couple, it seems that there's an extension to do
practically everything you'd want...

--
100% money back guarantee!
If at any time you are dissatisfied with the performance of your Mozilla

Nir

Aug 23, 2006, 5:54:35 PM8/23/06
Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.

More features should be added to 'Download
manager' as we find in 'Download ThemAll' extension.

Chris Ilias

Aug 23, 2006, 5:58:45 PM8/23/06
_clay_ spoke thusly on 23/08/2006 5:51 PM:

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
>> matter if it's feasible or not.
>
> Would this include features that are currently handled by extensions?

Yes.

The Real Bev

Aug 23, 2006, 6:01:12 PM8/23/06
Chris Ilias wrote:

> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.

Menu control of ALL fonts and colors including those in menus, bars,
etc. For Thunderbird too. Having to know secret words to include in
the userC*.css and *.js files is a serious pain for us, the great unwashed.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
-- Lionel

Moz Champion (Dan)

Aug 23, 2006, 6:02:27 PM8/23/06
gwtc wrote:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
>> matter if it's feasible or not.
> multizilla

What is multizilla?

gwtc

Aug 23, 2006, 6:12:15 PM8/23/06

Moz Champion (Dan)

Aug 23, 2006, 6:51:25 PM8/23/06
gwtc wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> gwtc wrote:
>>> multizilla
>>>

>> What is multizilla?
> http://multizilla.mozdev.org/

Well, since I dont use tabs in the first place, its not of much value to
me <g>

Roland de Ruiter

Aug 23, 2006, 6:53:20 PM8/23/06
On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.
Split tab: be able to view different parts of the *same page* next to
each other (vertical split) or above/below each other (horizontal
split). Or to be able to view two *different pages* next to/above/below
each other.
--
Regards,

Roland

Roland de Ruiter

Aug 23, 2006, 6:57:47 PM8/23/06
On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.
Line & column number indication in View Source window (IIRC MozSuite did
have this, but FF doesn't).
--
Regards,

Roland

Roland de Ruiter

Aug 23, 2006, 6:59:50 PM8/23/06
On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.
Just out of curiosity: what are you going to do with the results of this
poll?
--
Regards,

Roland

gwtc

Aug 23, 2006, 7:15:16 PM8/23/06
there much more to multi than tabs

Roland de Ruiter

Aug 23, 2006, 7:14:34 PM8/23/06
On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.
"Print Frame" in sub menu "This Frame" of right-click context menu (and
it actually should print the selected frame, of course).
"Print Page" in right-click context menu (idem).
--
Regards,

Roland

Roland de Ruiter

Aug 23, 2006, 7:28:39 PM8/23/06
On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.
Not really a new feature, it annoys me for quite some time:
Fix the "Go"-button to behave like other toolbar buttons when choosing
between "Icons and Text", "Icons" and "Text" in View > Toolbar > Customize.
Currently (FF1.5.0.6 with default theme), the "Go"-button still shows
the text label "Go" when I've selected "Icons" only. (Have to use
userChrome.css to get rid of it).
--
Regards,

Roland

Jim Scott

Aug 23, 2006, 7:42:39 PM8/23/06
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:43:13 -0400, Chris Ilias wrote:

> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.

To not have to install extensions.
It's alright for us folk who have the time and the know-how, but whether you
like it or not Firefox is never going to replace any browser that comes
complete out-of-the-box.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Tim Judd

Aug 23, 2006, 8:26:25 PM8/23/06
Jim Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:43:13 -0400, Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
>> if it's feasible or not.
>
> To not have to install extensions.
> It's alright for us folk who have the time and the know-how, but whether you
> like it or not Firefox is never going to replace any browser that comes
> complete out-of-the-box.

define "complete".

FF is much more complete than any MS browser to date. I've never jumped
on the Opera bandwagon -- the first time I saw it and it was plastering
ads to me, I removed it and haven't once considered again. Some people
have preferences, and instead of bloating an application for every
conceivable feature that 99% of the people won't use; go install an
extension.

I.E. -- I like thunderbird minimized to tray when i'm in Windows (at
work, specifically). I don't think it's necessary to sit in the taskbar
taking up space that just idles and I monitor it. So, I install the
Minimizetotray extension and now I'm happy! quick and painless.

Moz Champion (Dan)

Aug 23, 2006, 9:00:01 PM8/23/06
Jim Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:43:13 -0400, Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
>> if it's feasible or not.
>
> To not have to install extensions.
> It's alright for us folk who have the time and the know-how, but whether you
> like it or not Firefox is never going to replace any browser that comes
> complete out-of-the-box.

What browser comes complete 'out of the box'?

Firefox has become the second browser (by numbers of users) in the
world, far surpassing Opera and Safari numbers. In some countries usage
rates are over 30% - worldwide usage rates are above 12%.

Or are you just saying that users in Germany and Australia are smarter
than everyone else?

Claude Hopper

Aug 23, 2006, 10:34:59 PM8/23/06
Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.
A turbotax like program to do your taxes.

--
Linux is just a fancy name for Windows blocker.

Claude Hopper

Christopher Jahn

Aug 23, 2006, 10:40:16 PM8/23/06
Jim Scott <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote in

> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:43:13 -0400, Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I
>> doesn't matter if it's feasible or not.
>
> To not have to install extensions.
> It's alright for us folk who have the time and the know-how,
> but whether you like it or not Firefox is never going to
> replace any browser that comes complete out-of-the-box.

All one of them?

Jim, you're just wrong. MicroSoft's downfall is overloading
their software with so many features that the programs don't runn
efficiently, take lots of space to install, with very large
installation programs. It's a "one size fits all" premise
fullfilled by making that size gargantuan.

And that's assuming that IE actually HAS more features in a base
installation, which it doesn't. AND you ignore the fact that IE
isn't as customizable or upgradable. Once you've installed IE,
you're stuck with what you have. Sure, you can add a downloader
(which is usually a seperate program), or PURCHASE some "bonus
features" from MS, but you aren't really making any significant
change to the browser.

FF, on the other hand, can be optimized in any number of ways to
please any number of user preferences - being open source, with
the extensions system inplace, it's infinitely adaptable.

The proof is found in user statistics: only ONE browser has shown
significant increase in usage; FireFox.

--
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

Be kind to your inferiors, if you can find any.

Chris Ilias

Aug 23, 2006, 11:42:28 PM8/23/06
_Roland de Ruiter_ spoke thusly on 23/08/2006 6:59 PM:

> Just out of curiosity: what are you going to do with the results of this
> poll?

Devs are brainstorming ideas for Firefox3 features, specifically what
problems exist, and what features would solve them.

Chris Ilias

Aug 23, 2006, 11:54:46 PM8/23/06
_Roland de Ruiter_ spoke thusly on 23/08/2006 7:28 PM:

> Not really a new feature, it annoys me for quite some time:
> Fix the "Go"-button to behave like other toolbar buttons when choosing
> between "Icons and Text", "Icons" and "Text" in View > Toolbar > Customize.
> Currently (FF1.5.0.6 with default theme), the "Go"-button still shows
> the text label "Go" when I've selected "Icons" only. (Have to use
> userChrome.css to get rid of it).

It's a little reversed in Firefox2.
Only icon shows for "Icons".
Only text shows for "Text".
Only icon shows for "Icons and Text".
But I think that's because the Go button is now integrated with the
location bar.
Screenshot <http://ilias.ca/screenshots/fx2-iconsandtext.png>.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Herb

Aug 24, 2006, 2:15:16 AM8/24/06

Yes please!!!

With functionality similar to Acrobat Reader 7 please - see "Tile tabs"
thread.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Chris Ilias

Aug 24, 2006, 3:00:57 AM8/24/06
_Jim Scott_ spoke thusly on 23/08/2006 7:42 PM:

> To not have to install extensions.
> It's alright for us folk who have the time and the know-how, but whether you
> like it or not Firefox is never going to replace any browser that comes
> complete out-of-the-box.

Are there any specific extensions, you are referring to?

squaredancer

Aug 24, 2006, 3:44:09 AM8/24/06
On 23.08.2006 11:43 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris Ilias
to generate the following:? :

> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
> matter if it's feasible or not.

that the Devs keep their sticky fingers (and any updates) *away* from
the User-profile.

If it is necessary to access the profile, the user *MUST BE ASKED* first
and told what action is to be taken.

IMO most errors presently occuring (except the Firewall factor) are
caused by FF-Updates illegally accessing and changing a perfectly good
profile... - under *no circumstances whatsoever* should FF be allowed to
create a new profile without deliberate user interaction!!

reg

squaredancer

Aug 24, 2006, 3:48:51 AM8/24/06
On 24.08.2006 01:14 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Roland de
Ruiter to generate the following:? :

methinks, the complete "Print" function needs a look at - problems with
the Print-function crop up here several times a month - usually about
Frames (as you suggest) or not getting the complete URL printed out
(formatting)!

reg

Roland de Ruiter

Aug 24, 2006, 4:10:57 AM8/24/06
On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.
True page-zoom/page-magnification: not just text size with
Ctrl++/Ctrl+-/Ctrl-0, but also pictures/flash/<hr>'s/etc. Ctrl+Mouswheel
to zoom in&out (just like now for text-size only).
Adobe Reader-like grab-hand cursor to drag page inside the viewport;
e.g. with Ctrl+Mouse-drag or just mouse-drag but then with toolbar
button (ala Adobe Reader to switch between Hand Tool/Select
Tool/Snapshot Tool) to switch between different mouse/cursor modes:
(1) Default, where mouse click opens link and mouse-drag selects text
(2) Drag page mode (ala Hand Tool of Adobe Reader)
(3?) Caret browsing
--
Regards,

Roland

Vikas Pandey

Aug 24, 2006, 4:13:13 AM8/24/06

Good Idea. Would be very convenient. and, ie7 doesn't have it. :-)

Thanks Ronald. Over to developers.

niko

Aug 24, 2006, 4:56:00 AM8/24/06
Roland de Ruiter said...

Nice one.

--
Best,
Marc

niko

Aug 24, 2006, 4:56:06 AM8/24/06
Chris Ilias said...

> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.

Paste and go, as Opera has.

--
nico

Roland de Ruiter

Aug 24, 2006, 5:11:08 AM8/24/06
+1
--
Regards,

Roland

David S

Aug 24, 2006, 5:20:15 AM8/24/06
Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.

I'd like to see that sidebar (for bookmarks, history, etc) have the
ability to move around from left to right and top to bottom (just make
sure it doesn't have a fat title-bar spanning the entire page when at
top or bottom [maybe like some off to the side thing] )

Jim Scott

Aug 24, 2006, 5:33:33 AM8/24/06
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 23:15:02 -0700, EE wrote:

> Jim Scott wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:43:13 -0400, Chris Ilias wrote:
>>
>>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
>>> if it's feasible or not.
>>
>> To not have to install extensions.
>> It's alright for us folk who have the time and the know-how, but whether you
>> like it or not Firefox is never going to replace any browser that comes
>> complete out-of-the-box.

> How do you define complete? Your definition probably differs from mine
> (and anybody else's).

I obviously should have not used the word 'complete'.
The point I am trying to make is that when I recommend people to move to FF,
they come back and say it doesn't do 'such and such'. When I explain that
there is an extension to do that, they look at me as if I am mad.

BTW I do not believe that there is (or ever will be) a browser which is
'complete', but isn't it strange that everyone who bristled at my reply
assumed I was talking about IE?

Vikas Pandey

Aug 24, 2006, 5:33:56 AM8/24/06
On 8/24/2006 05:12 AM India Time, _Jim Scott_ wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:43:13 -0400, Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
>> if it's feasible or not.
>
> To not have to install extensions.
> It's alright for us folk who have the time and the know-how, but whether you
> like it or not Firefox is never going to replace any browser that comes
> complete out-of-the-box.

I agree with you.

Extensions have become so widespread that they are unmanageable. There
are just too many of them. Some are so small in 60 KB, some are single
function like Restart button.

I have been using netscape/ firefox for 7 years, and even now I have to
ask question in these ngs to know whether any extension exists to do
what I want.

The question is: How many of those millions of firefox users are
visiting this ng and asking questions? Thus, most of them are suffering
due to lack of something in the basic version when an extension exists
for what they want to do.

Thus, the entire extension philosophy needs to be looked into.

On the other hand, I see the wisdom of allowing extensions, because that
provides us free of charge, quality word done by capable people. Someone
feels a need, and develops an extension, and shares free with rest of
us. It is good.

I think that the extensions which are most downloaded should be merged
in the basic build of firefox. Some of them are:

- Tabmixplus and its boosters
- noScript
- Adblock with its boosters

I think the above should get integrated in the basic build of firefox.

I am not finding much use of some like:
- Fasterfox
- Foxytunes

The above can remain extensions as they are now.

Then, there are some good very convenient concepts that should also get
included in the basic build because they add functionality. Some are:
- Mousegestures (some browsers are offerring it. and it is very convenient)
- post-it pad (there are several extensions for it, but none fits the bill)
- fireftp
- imagezoom
- minimize to tray

I think the above sort of things should be build in the basic ff.

Then, some extensions should be merged and provided as a single package
extension because they are related, and currently are doing duplicate
work because they are separate, or are needed to be installed in set.

- Greasemonkey
- Platyplus
- chickenfoot
- Aardvark
- dom inspector
- inspect it

Similarly, there should be single extension for buttons and all
extensions offering buttons should get merged in it which should be
downloadable as a single database. Individual developers might still
develop their buttons and contribute to it.

Similarly, the download-related extensions should get merged into single
one:
- Flashgot
- Downloadthemall
- videodownloader
- pdf download.
- fdm plugin

Thus, I think that it is the extension philosophy that needs to be
reorganised. Merge extensions doing the same work and provide individual
variant as option in the single extension. Then, whichever top 10
extensions find the most users (max downloads) should get merged in the
basic build.

Thus, the thousands of tiny extensions should pave way to have some 100
big extensions. In that case, whoever download some particular extension
would not really mind that part of that extension that he doesn't use.

And yeah, do away with the need to restart ff after installing an extension.

thanks for your patience.
--
Vicky

Moz Champion (Dan)

Aug 24, 2006, 5:56:32 AM8/24/06
EE wrote:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
>> matter if it's feasible or not.
> In Firefox for Mac OS, I would like to see new tabs opened for bookmarks
> and toolbar buttons with Command-click, just as they are treated in
> Windows with middle-click.

hold down the control key and you get the option

Moz Champion (Dan)

Aug 24, 2006, 5:58:51 AM8/24/06

rather hard to do, when the prefs js is profile specific.
If the program ADDS a pref, how do you expect it to be done, ignore it
until the user does what? Accepts the new version or something?

Moz Champion (Dan)

Aug 24, 2006, 5:59:22 AM8/24/06

Um whats paste and go?

David S

Aug 24, 2006, 6:06:30 AM8/24/06
Good points.

Also the whole extensions list thing at "addons.mozilla.org" ought be
done over.

Some people may want functionality and try to find it on the site,
others (like me!) may have trawled all of them in an attempt to find
things that they haven't thought about before but that once seen are
*really* good ideas (they are before but anonymity doesn't help).

Maybe there should be a few "My Favorites" lists with single sentence
*descriptive* descriptions by impartial people. Then you'll be able to
fit 100s to a page (I hate clicking next buttons when developers have
rambled on too long).

There are so many extensions now that it seems a bit unbalanced to me.
Maybe also look over the categories and introduce sub-categories?

Perhaps this wasn't the newsgroup to post this in, but it seemed to
fit the flow of conversation. Please redirect me if too off-topic.

David

Moz Champion (Dan)

Aug 24, 2006, 6:19:02 AM8/24/06

Well you said it was never going to replace any browser that comes
complete out of the box.

Well the ONLY browser it hasnt surpassed (or replaced) by numbers is
Microsofts IE. So what OTHER browser could you be talking about?
Opera usage rates remain stuck below 2% even tho it was released much
earlier than Firefox. Heck even Mozilla (suite) has higher usage than Opera!
Other browsers dont even rate a mention their percentage are so low.

So, the only browser it hasnt 'replaced' so far (completely) is IE. What
were you talking about then?

Roland de Ruiter

Aug 24, 2006, 6:29:24 AM8/24/06
On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.
Have several tab-browsers in one window. For an example, see attached
text file "ff mockup.txt" (tried to paste it in the main text of this
mail, but it looked horrible).

This example mock-up shows three tab-browsers (one tab-browser is what
we currently see in FF1.5.*/2.0.*).

New tab-browsers can be created freely and be placed anywhere by
dragging them around.
Dragging their borders can also be used to rearrange them. For example
dragging the right border of the lower left tab-browser
(cnn.com/bbc.co.uk/nu.nl) to the right should stretch it all along the
bottom of the window. The upper right tab-browser
(myrss.org/about:bookm) automatically gets resized as a result of this.
See attached file "ff mockup2.txt".

Tabs can be dragged between tab-browsers, either as "move" from old to
destination tab-browser or as "copy" to open same page in destination
tab-browser.

The place and control of the back/forward buttons and the location
toolbar is an issue:
(1) they only have effect on the focused tab-browser.
(1.1) how to change focus between tab-browsers? (just clicking on it,
which keyboard shortcut, e.g. Ctrl+Tab)
(1.2) how to recognize which tab-browser has focus (visual feedback,
e.g. by (background)colors or different border).
(2) alternative: put back/forward/location toolbar on each tab-browser
(2.1) Won't this get crowded? Sloppy UI?
(2.2) Or... only make this toolbar visible when the tab-browser has focus
--
Regards,

Roland

ff mockup.txt
ff mockup2.txt

squaredancer

Aug 24, 2006, 6:36:15 AM8/24/06
On 24.08.2006 11:58 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Moz
Champion (Dan) to generate the following:? :

did you *READ* this line:

"If it is necessary to access the profile, the user *MUST BE ASKED*
first and told what action is to be taken."

or are you just being contradictory again??

Otherwise - for your objection, Prefs.js is a program thing and could be
taken *out* of the profile and placed into the main program folder...
the Userprefs.js is in the profile for the purpose of inserting
"personalised" requirements. Any "dev" changes to Prefs.js would then
*not* affect the profile - which is, after all, a User's Part of the
application!

reg

Roland de Ruiter

Aug 24, 2006, 6:41:34 AM8/24/06

Paste and go is when you paste a URL from the clipboard into the
location bar and immediately go to this URL without the need to press
the Go button or to press the enter key in the location bar.

Quite often I copy some URL from another application or from the text on
a webpage (because this page didn't provide a clickable link, so I have
to select the text and copy it to the clipboard). Or when a link in an
email in TB is missing a trailing ')'.
--
Regards,

Roland

Roland de Ruiter

Aug 24, 2006, 6:50:23 AM8/24/06
+1

Maybe the FF3 motto should be "Drag anything anywhere"?
--
Regards,

Roland

Herb

Aug 24, 2006, 6:56:03 AM8/24/06

The sidebar can already be moved to the right - I'll dig out the
instructions if you are interested.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Vikas Pandey

Aug 24, 2006, 7:23:25 AM8/24/06
On 8/24/2006 03:36 PM India Time, _David S_ wrote:

> Good points.
>
> Also the whole extensions list thing at "addons.mozilla.org" ought be
> done over.
>
> Some people may want functionality and try to find it on the site,
> others (like me!) may have trawled all of them in an attempt to find
> things that they haven't thought about before but that once seen are
> *really* good ideas (they are before but anonymity doesn't help).
>
> Maybe there should be a few "My Favorites" lists with single sentence
> *descriptive* descriptions by impartial people. Then you'll be able to
> fit 100s to a page (I hate clicking next buttons when developers have
> rambled on too long).

That would surely help.

The search function of mozilla probably depends on the text fed by the
developers and often it doesn't come up with all options available. I
tried 5 post-id pad type versions, but I had to ask on this ng to know
about quicknote that I find the best and am using it.

Seems the extensions needs to be categorized, and most of them that are
related to one category (say, downloads, developing, music,
navigation...) should appear on one page.

A single line description will be very convenient.

dogbigair

Aug 24, 2006, 7:25:37 AM8/24/06
Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.

"Corporate" features, ie:

- MSI installation package for Windows, including selected extensions
and unattended installation
- Ability to lock/disable features through GPOs.
- Updates available as hot fixes, rather than full reinstalls.

Some of the above has been available through third parties. However, we
need something from Mozilla if we want our CTO's to consider Firefox as
a reasonable alternative to IE in corporate environments.

Thanks a lot.

Roland de Ruiter

Aug 24, 2006, 7:28:55 AM8/24/06
On 24-8-2006 12:29, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
> On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
>> matter if it's feasible or not.
> Have several tab-browsers in one window. For an example, see attached
> text file "ff mockup.txt" (tried to paste it in the main text of this
> mail, but it looked horrible).
>
> This example mock-up shows three tab-browsers (one tab-browser is what
> we currently see in FF1.5.*/2.0.*).
>
> New tab-browsers can be created freely and be placed anywhere by
> dragging them around.
> Dragging their borders can also be used to rearrange them. For example
> dragging the right border of the lower left tab-browser
> (cnn.com/bbc.co.uk/nu.nl) to the right should stretch it all along the
> bottom of the window. The upper right tab-browser
> (myrss.org/about:bookm) automatically gets resized as a result of this.
> See attached file "ff mockup2.txt".
>
> Tabs can be dragged between tab-browsers, either as "move" from old to
> destination tab-browser or as "copy" to open same page in destination
> tab-browser.
> [...]
A UI similar to the Eclipse Platform which has multiple
dockable/dragable views.
Screenshot: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:EclipseScr.jpg>
Eclipse: <http://www.eclipse.org/>
--
Regards,

Roland

Claude Hopper

Aug 24, 2006, 7:48:26 AM8/24/06
Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.

How about a plugin to do your taxes.

--
Linux is just a fancy name for Windows blocker.

Claude Hopper

Roland de Ruiter

Aug 24, 2006, 7:59:12 AM8/24/06
On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.
(And as I was thinking about the Eclipse [1] Platform ...)

Provide a XUL-based rich client platform [2] which can host XUL-based
applications, such as a browser (FF), an email and/or news client (TB),
web page editor (SM/MozSuite Composer, NVU), chat program, etc.
With this platform you could run both Firefox and Thunderbird, for
example, in the same window. If you later on want to edit web pages, you
could download the Web Editor app and install it into the platform you
already have installed on your computer.

Or... use Eclipse's Rich Client Platform [3,4] to host Firefox (or TB,
NVU, etc.)

[1]<http://www.eclipse.org>
[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Client_Platform>
[3]<http://www.eclipse.org/rcp>
[4]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_%28software%29#Architecture>
--
Regards,

Roland

Roland de Ruiter

Aug 24, 2006, 8:10:42 AM8/24/06
On 24-8-2006 5:54, Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Roland de Ruiter_ spoke thusly on 23/08/2006 7:28 PM:
>> Not really a new feature, it annoys me for quite some time:
>> Fix the "Go"-button to behave like other toolbar buttons when choosing
>> between "Icons and Text", "Icons" and "Text" in View > Toolbar >
>> Customize.
>> Currently (FF1.5.0.6 with default theme), the "Go"-button still shows
>> the text label "Go" when I've selected "Icons" only. (Have to use
>> userChrome.css to get rid of it).
>
> It's a little reversed in Firefox2.
> Only icon shows for "Icons".
> Only text shows for "Text".
> Only icon shows for "Icons and Text".
> But I think that's because the Go button is now integrated with the
> location bar.
> Screenshot <http://ilias.ca/screenshots/fx2-iconsandtext.png>.
Looks like Bon Echo Beta *2* (your screenshot) has fixed the inseparable
Go button of Bon Echo Beta *1* (which I still have): in Beta 1 when you
try to drag the Go button (during Customizing toolbar), it was glued to
the search field (and /its/ go button), so the search field got dragged
at the same time.
--
Regards,

Roland

Moz Champion (Dan)

Aug 24, 2006, 8:13:11 AM8/24/06

Whether or not the prefs.js COULD be taken out of the profile or not,
the fact of the matter is that is IS in the profile currently. So the
update HAS to change the profile in at least that aspect, or it wouldnt
be an update!

The update also includes changes to bookmarks, which also just happen to
be in the profile. Of course you can claim thats a 'programming' thing
too, and they could be moved out as well. But they are in the current
profile.

Many code changes have to have access to (and make changes to) items in
the profile. Whether or not these too are 'programming' things (in your
opinion) and COULD be done outside the profile, once again the fact
remains they DO exist in the profile currently, and so MUST be changed
there.

And the truth be known, users ARE asked whether or not they want it or
not. If they agree to automatic updates, then its a given they accept
what changes there are, and that includes changes to files in the
profile. Even if they dont accept automatic updates, when they manually
update they are agreeing with the changes to be made - even within the
profile.

In most cases, millions upon millions actually, the updates are quite
smooth and seamless to the user. Of course, you will always have the
several hundred or so (less than .1%) who experience problems.

Besides, whats the point?

So the update present a dialogue stating

"This update will make changes to your profile"

Continue Yes No

Why should 99.9% of users who DONT have problem with updates have to
click the YES button, just to please the .1% who do have problems with
updates?

If you dont want the program or updates to mess with your profile, then
DONT update!

Moz Champion (Dan)

Aug 24, 2006, 8:15:14 AM8/24/06

That sounds interesting and appealling at first glance. Never looked at
it that way.

David S

Aug 24, 2006, 8:28:36 AM8/24/06
Herb wrote:
> The sidebar can already be moved to the right - I'll dig out the
> instructions if you are interested.

Yes thanks.

David

Rob Bell

Aug 24, 2006, 8:41:34 AM8/24/06
Chris Ilias wrote:

> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.

Not exactly a 'feature', but I really wish FF didn't have to be
restarted every so often because memory usage keeps increasing and
things slow down. If I start with 5 web pages open and FF is using 60MB
for them, it shouldn't matter whether I've opened and closed 100 others
afterwards, if I get back to those original 5 pages the memory usage
should be back to near 60MB.

Rob

David S

Aug 24, 2006, 8:41:24 AM8/24/06
squaredancer wrote:
> that the Devs keep their sticky fingers (and any updates) *away* from
> the User-profile.
>
> If it is necessary to access the profile, the user *MUST BE ASKED* first
> and told what action is to be taken.
>
> IMO most errors presently occuring (except the Firewall factor) are
> caused by FF-Updates illegally accessing and changing a perfectly good
> profile... - under *no circumstances whatsoever* should FF be allowed to
> create a new profile without deliberate user interaction!!
>
> reg

Maybe what you want is some kind of restore and backup function for
the User-profile, a setting that says; "These profile settings are
what I want restored when the wheels fall off" ? , or am I completely
off track?

Herb

Aug 24, 2006, 8:51:03 AM8/24/06
On 24.08.2006 12:48 UK Time, Claude Hopper wrote:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
>> if it's feasible or not.
>
> How about a plugin to do your taxes.

And another one for making the coffee O:-)

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Al

Aug 24, 2006, 9:23:11 AM8/24/06
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Roland de Ruiter wrote:

>> Paste and go is when you paste a URL from the clipboard into the
>> location bar and immediately go to this URL without the need to press
>> the Go button or to press the enter key in the location bar.
>>

> That sounds interesting and appealling at first glance. Never looked at
> it that way.

I can't agree with this one. Many times I'll copy and paste a URL into
the location bar and "just let it sit there" until I'm finished reading
the page and ready to go to the URL..

Ed Mullen

Aug 24, 2006, 9:36:25 AM8/24/06

Agreed. And sometimes I paste a URL into the location bar and modify it
before pressing Enter. I abhor most automatic features like that.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ron Hunter

Aug 24, 2006, 9:59:16 AM8/24/06
Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.

Ability to set the default character size for each website. Many sites
chose text sizes much too small to read. I realize this would cause
formatting problems in some cases, but let the user choose. Same goes
for background and text colors, by site.

Ability to store a set of sites to access as a bookmark, in a single click.

Ron Hunter

Aug 24, 2006, 10:01:38 AM8/24/06
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>>>>

>>> What is multizilla?
>> http://multizilla.mozdev.org/
>>

> Well, since I dont use tabs in the first place, its not of much value to
> me <g>

Tabs can be VERY useful, depending on how you use the browser. If, for
instance, you have a site that doesn't allow you to return to the scroll
position you had when you chose a link when you return, tabs can solve
this annoying problem. It took me quite a while to make friends with
the feature, but is quite useful in many cases.

Herb

Aug 24, 2006, 10:06:24 AM8/24/06
On 24.08.2006 14:36 UK Time, Ed Mullen wrote:
> Al wrote:
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

>>> That sounds interesting and appealling at first glance. Never looked
>>> at it that way.
>>
>> I can't agree with this one. Many times I'll copy and paste a URL
>> into the location bar and "just let it sit there" until I'm finished
>> reading the page and ready to go to the URL..
>
> Agreed. And sometimes I paste a URL into the location bar and modify it
> before pressing Enter. I abhor most automatic features like that.

Seconded!

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Ron Hunter

Aug 24, 2006, 10:07:32 AM8/24/06
squaredancer wrote:
> On 23.08.2006 11:43 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris Ilias
> to generate the following:? :
>
>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
>> matter if it's feasible or not.
>
> that the Devs keep their sticky fingers (and any updates) *away* from
> the User-profile.
>
> If it is necessary to access the profile, the user *MUST BE ASKED* first
> and told what action is to be taken.
>
> IMO most errors presently occuring (except the Firewall factor) are
> caused by FF-Updates illegally accessing and changing a perfectly good
> profile... - under *no circumstances whatsoever* should FF be allowed to
> create a new profile without deliberate user interaction!!
>
> reg

It doesn't. At least I have never seen it do so without asking. It
does create one when you first install the program, of course.

Ron Hunter

Aug 24, 2006, 10:09:54 AM8/24/06
David S wrote:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
>> matter if it's feasible or not.
>
> I'd like to see that sidebar (for bookmarks, history, etc) have the
> ability to move around from left to right and top to bottom (just make
> sure it doesn't have a fat title-bar spanning the entire page when at
> top or bottom [maybe like some off to the side thing] )

Would like to see the History returned to the old full window format.
The current sidebar setup is the PITS.
Makes me think I loaded IE by mistake.

Ron Hunter

Aug 24, 2006, 10:11:56 AM8/24/06
Jim Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 23:15:02 -0700, EE wrote:
>
>> Jim Scott wrote:

>>> To not have to install extensions.
>>> It's alright for us folk who have the time and the know-how, but whether you
>>> like it or not Firefox is never going to replace any browser that comes
>>> complete out-of-the-box.
>> How do you define complete? Your definition probably differs from mine
>> (and anybody else's).
>
> I obviously should have not used the word 'complete'.
> The point I am trying to make is that when I recommend people to move to FF,
> they come back and say it doesn't do 'such and such'. When I explain that
> there is an extension to do that, they look at me as if I am mad.
>
> BTW I do not believe that there is (or ever will be) a browser which is
> 'complete', but isn't it strange that everyone who bristled at my reply
> assumed I was talking about IE?
I sure didn't. It lacks a usable bookmark feature, and tabs, and an
orientation toward security (although IE7 is a step in the right
direction). I was put in mind of the comments about the DOD compiler
ADA, which was so encumbered by features that many programmers just
refused to wade through it.

Ron Hunter

Aug 24, 2006, 10:15:48 AM8/24/06
Vikas Pandey wrote:

> [...]
> one:
> - Flashgot
> - Downloadthemall
> - videodownloader
> - pdf download.
> - fdm plugin
>
> Thus, I think that it is the extension philosophy that needs to be
> reorganised. Merge extensions doing the same work and provide individual
> variant as option in the single extension. Then, whichever top 10
> extensions find the most users (max downloads) should get merged in the
> basic build.
>
> Thus, the thousands of tiny extensions should pave way to have some 100
> big extensions. In that case, whoever download some particular extension
> would not really mind that part of that extension that he doesn't use.
>
> And yeah, do away with the need to restart ff after installing an

your arguments are interesting, in that they point out the real power of
extensions, that is, they are economical, targeted to what the user
needs, and can be selected by the user to fill his need, without
burdening others who don't need them. I agree that the functions of the
most popular extensions could probably be included in the main program,
but including all of them would make a really massive beast of the
program, negating the original purpose of Firefox.

I completely agree, however, with your last sentence.

Herb

Aug 24, 2006, 10:47:52 AM8/24/06

See <http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#app_sidebar>, as
pointed out here by Rob on June 30 when I asked about it :-)

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Moz Champion (Dan)

Aug 24, 2006, 11:02:32 AM8/24/06

clay

Aug 24, 2006, 11:11:36 AM8/24/06
Chris Ilias wrote:
>...But I think that's because the Go button is now integrated with the

Aw crap. It's going to be a permanent fixture? I detest that Go button.
I have an enter key, I don't need no stinkin' Go button!

--
100% money back guarantee!
If at any time you are dissatisfied with the performance of your Mozilla
product, feel free to return it for a complete refund of what you paid
for it...

Moz Champion (Dan)

Aug 24, 2006, 11:15:38 AM8/24/06

clay

Aug 24, 2006, 11:27:29 AM8/24/06
How about a 'Find Extension' feature?
Not just a link to a web page that has a couple on it though.

A popup or some such where you can type in some keywords and it will go
out and find extensions that match your criteria.
Make it a part of Firefox instead of having to google all over the place
(as if folks even bother) or ask in a newsgroup to find extensions...

Vikas Pandey

Aug 24, 2006, 11:39:34 AM8/24/06

he might mean that he is not using tabs, but using several browser
windows, just as in the old days. If so, then he is already getting
these capabilities.

Vikas Pandey

Aug 24, 2006, 11:57:21 AM8/24/06

Actually, I sincerely feel that extension developers are the real
contributors to the better functioning of ff vis a vis other browsers.
Now, there is hardly anything for which you don't find an extension
already existing. Thus, users are happy.

And, this has made the core ff developers free to concentrate on
improving the basic browser. Though, I feel that they still are lagging
because there are still several bug reports lying unattended that were
lodged five or ten years ago.

I repeat that Extensions are the real strengths of ff. For one thing,
they got developed by someone who felt the real pinch of something,
thus, he developed a perfect user-friendly extension for himself. Even
core developers can't develop a better thing.

The problem is in the chaos of Extensions. Too many extensions, too less
info available. At least an html file giving a one line summary of all
available extensions and download link should be downloaded with the
core ff. Thus, users will know what all possibilities are there.

> I agree that the functions of the
> most popular extensions could probably be included in the main program,
> but including all of them would make a really massive beast of the
> program, negating the original purpose of Firefox.

of course, not all of them, but when we see on the mozdev list that
flashgot has been downloaded some 142,427 times, that is indeed telling
that how much it is found useful by ff users.

In summary, I am saying that popular and innovative extensions should
get included in the basic ff build. I am not suggesting the criteria for
deciding that. I just gave some examples to make the point.

For that matter, almost everything is available as an extension, thus
there is not much path-breaking, imagination-capturing remaining to be
done in basic ff.

> I completely agree, however, with your last sentence.

thanks for your patience.

clay

Aug 24, 2006, 12:05:23 PM8/24/06
How about support for multiple, switchable Bookmark Toolbars?
http://home.pacbell.net/clayt/moz-toolbart.jpg

When I'm browsing generally, I'd like one set of toolbar folders.
If I'm working on my Linux box, I'd like to display a different set of
toolbar folders.
If I'm searching pron, I'd display a different set, and so on...

Make them independently exportable/importable so If I have a
particularly handy set I use for learning needlepoint, I can export it
to another machine or share it with a fellow needlepointer.

John Robert Clark III

Aug 24, 2006, 12:07:10 PM8/24/06
to Mozilla Firefox end-user help
How about a Page-Breaker style "download-page" tool. Something that lets you
download a web page (or even the site) with a single click, by breaking the
page into its core components, eg, text document, pictures, video, flash
stream, and saves the page (or site) to a single folder with multiple files.
This would be a good way to capture streaming video/audio, as well as
flash-animated files. Many a user would welcome such an advance built in,
rather than downloading the flaky Page-Breaker plug-in that doesn't always
work.

--
世界の平和及び単一の政府は皆のために最もよい

Roland de Ruiter

Aug 24, 2006, 12:12:49 PM8/24/06
On 24-8-2006 15:36, Ed Mullen wrote:
> Al wrote:
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

>>> That sounds interesting and appealling at first glance. Never looked
>>> at it that way.
>>
>> I can't agree with this one. Many times I'll copy and paste a URL
>> into the location bar and "just let it sit there" until I'm finished
>> reading the page and ready to go to the URL..
>
> Agreed. And sometimes I paste a URL into the location bar and modify it
> before pressing Enter. I abhor most automatic features like that.

Of course the standard "Paste" shouldn't become an automatic paste and
go, but "Paste and go" should be offered *along with* the default
"Paste" (in the right-click context menu of the location bar or as a
keyboard shortcut (Opera uses Ctrl+D, IIRC))
--
Regards,

Roland

Vikas Pandey

Aug 24, 2006, 12:15:52 PM8/24/06
On 8/24/2006 03:13 AM India Time, _Chris Ilias_ wrote:

> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.

1. Toolbar should be completely user-configurable like M$ software
(check word, excel, etc.) where every menu option can be brought to toolbar.

2. Make FF and TB windows, options, menu options, disk folders, etc.
same as far as possible. I mean, Extensions window in FF has different
buttons than the buttons in TB extensions window. ff has disk folders
with the name of Mozilla Firefox where Thunderbird has just Thunderbird.
In fact, I think that there should be a folder mozilla and under that
should be different folders for FF and Tb.

3. Provide a downloadable help chm file for ff.

4. provide complete list and explanation of about:config thinggies.

5. provide options to to tweak user interface in chrome files.

6. reduce loading time of ff to less than the loading time of ie.

7. Explain the contents and provide options to edit each and every
system file in user profile from within ff.

8. Easier access to edit delete Address bar, Saved Form, etc. entries.

thanks.

Vikas Pandey

Aug 24, 2006, 12:18:15 PM8/24/06
On 8/24/2006 07:06 PM India Time, _Ed Mullen_ wrote:

> Al wrote:
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>>>>
>>> That sounds interesting and appealling at first glance. Never looked
>>> at it that way.
>> I can't agree with this one. Many times I'll copy and paste a URL into
>> the location bar and "just let it sit there" until I'm finished reading
>> the page and ready to go to the URL..
>
> Agreed. And sometimes I paste a URL into the location bar and modify it
> before pressing Enter. I abhor most automatic features like that.

Absolutely agree. I also need to do that quite often.

Sanitarium

Aug 24, 2006, 12:43:14 PM8/24/06

Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.
> --
> Chris Ilias
> mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
> Mozilla links <http://ilias.ca>
> (Please do not email me tech support questions)

Leave well enough alone ;-)

Just concentrate on security issues and bug fixes...Thank You!!!

gwtc

Aug 24, 2006, 12:51:32 PM8/24/06

spiderzilla: http://spiderzilla.mozdev.org/

--
Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

If you have a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives, after which
you'll be afraid to cough.

The Real Bev

Aug 24, 2006, 2:49:17 PM8/24/06
Claude Hopper wrote:

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
>> if it's feasible or not.
>

> How about a plugin to do your taxes.

I'd rather have a plugin to pay them!

It's 95% of the lawyers making the other 5% look bad.

The Real Bev

Aug 24, 2006, 2:54:07 PM8/24/06
Ron Hunter wrote:

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
>> if it's feasible or not.
>
> Ability to set the default character size for each website. Many sites
> chose text sizes much too small to read. I realize this would cause
> formatting problems in some cases, but let the user choose. Same goes
> for background and text colors, by site.

Likewise for flash and java stuff. They INVARIABLY use tiny fonts.
What, they expect everybody to have 600x480 screens?

> Ability to store a set of sites to access as a bookmark, in a single click.

The Real Bev

Aug 24, 2006, 2:59:15 PM8/24/06
Ron Hunter wrote:

Try the Enhanced History Manager extension, which puts another item in
the 'Go' menu. The regular 'History' thing is worthless.

"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity
is not thus handicapped."
-- Elbert Hubbard, American author

The Real Bev

Aug 24, 2006, 3:14:43 PM8/24/06
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

I already have the Enhanced History Manager, which I love. Is there any
keyboard method to cause it to open in a separate window rather than a
sidebar?

OK, I see a reference to 'keyconfig'. I go to the addons.mozilla site
and search for keyconfig. It pulls up 'functions for keyconfig 1.3.3'
but not the original keyconfig. That's just WRONG! Fortunately
somebody already asked the quesion and the author provided the answer:
<http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/list.php/Mozilla/all#keyconfig>

squaredancer

Aug 24, 2006, 3:28:07 PM8/24/06
On 24.08.2006 05:11 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused clay to
generate the following:? :

> Chris Ilias wrote:

>> ...But I think that's because the Go button is now integrated with the
>> location bar.
>> Screenshot <http://ilias.ca/screenshots/fx2-iconsandtext.png>.
>

> Aw crap. It's going to be a permanent fixture? I detest that Go button.
> I have an enter key, I don't need no stinkin' Go button!

yepp - went to the graveyard here, as well! If the icons aren't
customizable, then the Chrome-Hackers will have a field-day.....

reg

squaredancer

Aug 24, 2006, 3:35:37 PM8/24/06
On 24.08.2006 02:41 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David S to
generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:
>
>> that the Devs keep their sticky fingers (and any updates) *away* from
>> the User-profile.
>>
>> If it is necessary to access the profile, the user *MUST BE ASKED*
>> first and told what action is to be taken.
>>
>> IMO most errors presently occuring (except the Firewall factor) are
>> caused by FF-Updates illegally accessing and changing a perfectly
>> good profile... - under *no circumstances whatsoever* should FF be
>> allowed to create a new profile without deliberate user interaction!!
>>
>> reg
>

> Maybe what you want is some kind of restore and backup function for
> the User-profile, a setting that says; "These profile settings are
> what I want restored when the wheels fall off" ? , or am I completely
> off track?

could be an option.... but, as you may have "read" - I don't think that
the User Profile should be touched... it is something that the user has
personalized and, therefor the devs no nothing about!

reg

squaredancer

Aug 24, 2006, 3:37:23 PM8/24/06
On 24.08.2006 03:36 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen
to generate the following:? :

> Al wrote:

>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

>>> That sounds interesting and appealling at first glance. Never looked
>>> at it that way.
>>

>> I can't agree with this one. Many times I'll copy and paste a URL
>> into the location bar and "just let it sit there" until I'm finished
>> reading the page and ready to go to the URL..
>

> Agreed. And sometimes I paste a URL into the location bar and modify
> it before pressing Enter. I abhor most automatic features like that.

"Paste and Open in new tab" would be an option!

reg

ALan Holley

Aug 24, 2006, 3:42:03 PM8/24/06
Chris Ilias wrote:
> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.
A print selection function without having to use the clipboard or other
save then print arrangement. This is also badly needed in TB. The
Aaravark extension works but still requires too much work to get a quick
copy of a few lines.

squaredancer

Aug 24, 2006, 3:40:10 PM8/24/06
On 24.08.2006 02:13 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Moz
Champion (Dan) to generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:
>
>> On 24.08.2006 11:58 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Moz
>> Champion (Dan) to generate the following:? :

>>> rather hard to do, when the prefs js is profile specific.
>>> If the program ADDS a pref, how do you expect it to be done, ignore
>>> it until the user does what? Accepts the new version or something?
>>>

>> did you *READ* this line:

>> "If it is necessary to access the profile, the user *MUST BE ASKED*
>> first and told what action is to be taken."

>> or are you just being contradictory again??
>>
>> Otherwise - for your objection, Prefs.js is a program thing and could
>> be taken *out* of the profile and placed into the main program
>> folder... the Userprefs.js is in the profile for the purpose of
>> inserting "personalised" requirements. Any "dev" changes to Prefs.js
>> would then *not* affect the profile - which is, after all, a User's
>> Part of the application!
>>
>> reg
>

> Whether or not the prefs.js COULD be taken out of the profile or not,
> the fact of the matter is that is IS in the profile currently. So the
> update HAS to change the profile in at least that aspect, or it
> wouldnt be an update!
>
> The update also includes changes to bookmarks, which also just happen
> to be in the profile. Of course you can claim thats a 'programming'
> thing too, and they could be moved out as well. But they are in the
> current profile.
>
> Many code changes have to have access to (and make changes to) items
> in the profile. Whether or not these too are 'programming' things (in
> your opinion) and COULD be done outside the profile, once again the
> fact remains they DO exist in the profile currently, and so MUST be
> changed there.
>
> And the truth be known, users ARE asked whether or not they want it or
> not. If they agree to automatic updates, then its a given they accept
> what changes there are, and that includes changes to files in the
> profile. Even if they dont accept automatic updates, when they
> manually update they are agreeing with the changes to be made - even
> within the profile.
>

> In most cases, millions upon millions actually, the updates are quite
> smooth and seamless to the user. Of course, you will always have the
> several hundred or so (less than .1%) who experience problems.
>
> Besides, whats the point?
>
> So the update present a dialogue stating
>
> "This update will make changes to your profile"
>
> Continue Yes No
>

> Why should 99.9% of users who DONT have problem with updates have to
> click the YES button, just to please the .1% who do have problems with
> updates?
>
> If you dont want the program or updates to mess with your profile,
> then DONT update!

Oh Dan - *GO TO BED*

You just don't get things any more.... We are talking about *NEW
FEATURES" here - got it?? *NEW FEATURES*

reg

squaredancer

Aug 24, 2006, 3:44:06 PM8/24/06
On 24.08.2006 08:49 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real
Bev to generate the following:? :

> Claude Hopper wrote:
>
>> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>
>>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
>>> if it's feasible or not.
>>

>> How about a plugin to do your taxes.
>

> I'd rather have a plugin to pay them!

I got a Tax-Plugin which tells those greedy sods that I'm poor and needy
and don't have to pay taxes :-P

reg

The Real Bev

Aug 24, 2006, 3:49:57 PM8/24/06
The Real Bev wrote:

> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Would like to see the History returned to the old full window format.
>>> The current sidebar setup is the PITS.
>>> Makes me think I loaded IE by mistake.
>>
>> You can do that
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/History_window
>
> I already have the Enhanced History Manager, which I love. Is there any
> keyboard method to cause it to open in a separate window rather than a
> sidebar?
>
> OK, I see a reference to 'keyconfig'. I go to the addons.mozilla site
> and search for keyconfig. It pulls up 'functions for keyconfig 1.3.3'
> but not the original keyconfig. That's just WRONG! Fortunately
> somebody already asked the quesion and the author provided the answer:
> <http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/list.php/Mozilla/all#keyconfig>

Somehow installing those two extensions caused FF's 'Go' menu to hang
miserably. Disabled both, but problem remained. Uninstalled them and
life is normal again. Feh.

It would be nice if 'keyconfig' would offer a little help to the
uniniated, I'm sure I managed to screw something up myself.

Lawyering: the only profession that if you
didn't have it you wouldn't need it.

The Real Bev

Aug 24, 2006, 4:05:24 PM8/24/06
squaredancer wrote:

> The Real Bev generated the following:

>> Claude Hopper wrote:

>>> How about a plugin to do your taxes.
>>
>> I'd rather have a plugin to pay them!
>>
> I got a Tax-Plugin which tells those greedy sods that I'm poor and needy
> and don't have to pay taxes :-P

Yeah, like the IRS... er, Inland Revenue..., er, <other-nation thieves>
is gonna believe that!

squaredancer

Aug 24, 2006, 4:10:32 PM8/24/06
On 24.08.2006 10:05 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real
Bev to generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:

>> The Real Bev generated the following:

>>> I'd rather have a plugin to pay them!
>>>
>> I got a Tax-Plugin which tells those greedy sods that I'm poor and
>> needy and don't have to pay taxes :-P
>

> Yeah, like the IRS... er, Inland Revenue..., er, <other-nation
> thieves> is gonna believe that!

*looking* honest helps....

reg

David McRitchie

Aug 24, 2006, 4:44:02 PM8/24/06
"clay" <cl...@mation.com> wrote in message ...

> How about a 'Find Extension' feature?
> Not just a link to a web page that has a couple on it though.
>
> A popup or some such where you can type in some keywords and it will go
> out and find extensions that match your criteria.
> Make it a part of Firefox instead of having to google all over the place
> (as if folks even bother) or ask in a newsgroup to find extensions...

Hi clay,
I think an extension to find extensions is overkill, but there is
a better search available than first presented at
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions
click within the search or on the search button, then
on the next page there is a "show options" with the search.
You can identify "extensions" and your platform and some others.

documentation change:
The "show options" should be included from the start. on the "addons" page <----

Once you've chosen your options temporary you can build your own search engine
using the "SEO" extension to have make the options permanent in your own engine
by right clicking within the search with options checked. see
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm#where
actually you need to install this extension (SEO) first
http://maltekraus.de/Firefox/Search-Engine-Ordering/index.pl

an alternative if the SEO is more directly included in Firefox would
be to add a "Customize and Find extensions" next to bottome of search bar drop down.

I agree the GO button is absolutely unneccessary, put it out of it's misery,
don't fix it.

---
David McRitchie, for my notes customizing Firefox, see
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

Jim Scott

Aug 24, 2006, 4:52:11 PM8/24/06
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:54:07 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
>>> if it's feasible or not.
>>
>> Ability to set the default character size for each website. Many sites
>> chose text sizes much too small to read. I realize this would cause
>> formatting problems in some cases, but let the user choose. Same goes
>> for background and text colors, by site.
>
> Likewise for flash and java stuff. They INVARIABLY use tiny fonts.
> What, they expect everybody to have 600x480 screens?
>
>> Ability to store a set of sites to access as a bookmark, in a single click.

Already does that.
Arrange your bookmarks in folders. Middle click on a bookmark folder opens
all files in the folder either replacing existing or in addition (you may
need tabbrowser preferences for that last bit. I forget)
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

clay

Aug 24, 2006, 4:58:01 PM8/24/06
David McRitchie wrote:
> Hi clay,
> I think an extension to find extensions is overkill, but there is
> a better search available than first presented at
> https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions
> click within the search or on the search button, then
> on the next page there is a "show options" with the search.
> You can identify "extensions" and your platform and some others.

Whaddya know, it does have an advanced search. Wouldn't hurt to
advertise it a little better.
Thanks for the tip!

> I agree the GO button is absolutely unnecessary, put it out of it's misery,
> don't fix it.

It just kills me when I watch folks type in an address, then go find the
mouse, then go find the 'GO' button, then click on it.
Your hands are on the keyboard already, hit the damn Enter key!

> ---
> David McRitchie, for my notes customizing Firefox, see
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

David McRitchie

Aug 24, 2006, 5:12:43 PM8/24/06

"clay" <cl...@mation.com> wrote in message news:Y5-

> It just kills me when I watch folks type in an address, then go find the
> mouse, then go find the 'GO' button, then click on it.
> Your hands are on the keyboard already, hit the damn Enter key!

It really irks me that developers keep trying to assign the middle
click button. Frequently you paste to the location bar, or search
bar, or other form and your hands are already on the mouse.
Use the middle-click on you mouse for <ENTER> there is NO
other more logical assignment for that "user" key, and Firefox
and extensions should not mess with system global settings.
(in windows, control panel mouse, and advanced features for variations)

The Real Bev

Aug 24, 2006, 5:23:46 PM8/24/06
David McRitchie wrote:

Linux/X in general (and certainly in FF and TB) seems to use the middle
button for 'paste', which is really handy. I miss it a lot when I have
to use windows.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament
to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they
met too much resistance.

David McRitchie

Aug 24, 2006, 5:42:16 PM8/24/06
"Chris Ilias" <n...@ilias.ca> wrote ...

> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
> if it's feasible or not.

Bookmarks:
would like to see a shortcut listed for Bookmarks Manager
the sidebar (ctrl+B) for bookmarks is not good enough,

Sidebar:
the Keyword shortcuts extension deserves permanent place
implement double-click to put on location bar exactly as implemented.
The justification is the keyword shortcuts are so important for
bookmarks, searches, bookmarklets
the Document Map shortcut extension deserves a permanent place
(but I would call it Web Page TOC) There are shortcuts to do
the same (that pop up from below page).

The segregation of extensions is what keeps Firefox viable and not
being so release dependent. I don't think I would want to see
GreaseMonkey/Aardvark/Platypus, etc combined into Firefox -- as
I think it would be done poorly and hold up Firefox. You have individual
developers or collaborative efforts directed to specific extensions

It is loading more messages.