What's going on with Firefox?

TLH

Aug 2, 2007, 11:58:15 AM8/2/07
It used to be stable and fast. Now its slow, crashes or hangs
practically every time I use it, and seems to update itself every day.
I see the same problem on two different computers on two different
networks. Can't see much reason to use this anymore over IE, at least
until it gets stable again.

Maincat

Aug 2, 2007, 12:07:20 PM8/2/07

"TLH" <tlh...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
2.0.0.6 stable as a rock here on three networked machines. Just as fast as
always. Have you made any other changes to your machines other than FF?

Herb

Aug 2, 2007, 12:15:59 PM8/2/07
On 02.08.2007 17:07 UK Time, Maincat wrote:
> "TLH" <tlh...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> It used to be stable and fast. Now its slow, crashes or hangs
>> practically every time I use it, and seems to update itself every day.
>> I see the same problem on two different computers on two different
>> networks. Can't see much reason to use this anymore over IE, at least
>> until it gets stable again.
>>
> 2.0.0.6 stable as a rock here on three networked machines. Just as fast as
> always.

Same here.

TLH, please provide more details so that the problem can be resolved,
rather taking the unreasonable step of switching to IE.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Aggro

Aug 2, 2007, 1:02:44 PM8/2/07
TLH wrote:
> It used to be stable and fast. Now its slow, crashes or hangs
> practically every time I use it, and seems to update itself every day.

Does it "seem" to update itself every day or does it really update every
day? There have been 2 new versions within a short period of time, but
if it updates every day, you have a corrupted file in your system (which
can easily be fixed). See this article for info about that problem:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updates_reported_when_running_newest_version

About crashing. That is unusual also and usually can also be fixed. See
this article for more info:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes

Being slow. That is a more tricky one. But you could try creating a new
empty profile and see if that improves the situation. You might have
installed some Add-on which causes the browser to slow down. Read this
article for information about managing profiles:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

There is also a list of problematic extensions/Add-ons:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

--
Solutions for issues with Firefox:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Issues_%28Firefox%29

EE

Aug 2, 2007, 1:34:02 PM8/2/07
If you do not like Firefox updating itself, block automatic updates. I
personally cannot stand things updating themselves, so I block that always.

rns...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2007, 9:00:57 PM8/5/07

I noticed that FF 2.0.0.6 was taking up 100% of the cpu for several
seconds at a time whenever scrolling or loading a new page. This
problem got worse over time. FasterFox may have been the culprit. I
have uninstalled it and the speed seems to have improved dramatically.
That list of problematic extensions may hold the answers you need. It
seems to have solved my problem.

simspace

Aug 6, 2007, 4:44:05 PM8/6/07
I'm having problems both at work and home and a several co-workers are
complaining of the same problem, which is...
Firefox hangs for several seconds intermittently - it nails the CPU.
Several times this past weekend I had to kill the Firefox and start
over.

I have never had such problems until version 2.0.0.6.

Since I'm experiencing the same issue both at home and work and
several co-workers are as well, I have to assume there are some add-on
compatibility issues, or the release is buggy.

Wink

Aug 6, 2007, 5:25:12 PM8/6/07
It has become apparent that FF 2.x.x.x simply sucks. What you describe
is a universal complaint and this board is no help. There are two
solutions known so far: Downgrade to Firefox 1.5xx (which carries the
warning message "Mozilla no longer supports this version" (but since
v2.xxx crashes on everyone and is neither reliable nor being corrected
it is obvious that there is no support for v2.xxx either))or switch to
Opera...

Irwin Greenwald

Aug 6, 2007, 8:02:52 PM8/6/07

Since nothing else seems to help, try:
1. Uninstall FF
2. Delete the program folder
3. (optional) restart computer
4. Reinstall FF

--
Irwin

Aaron Maronkavitch

Aug 7, 2007, 4:49:10 AM8/7/07
Maybe to do with the operating system.

I'm using the 'old' (newly revamped SEE:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=8)
OS, win98SE, and have had no problems with any of the latest releases.

Saurabh Agarwal

Aug 7, 2007, 6:13:53 AM8/7/07
try uninstalling the extensions and then run firefox 2.0.0.6, it works
great after that .... i just experienced it.. .was bugged by firefox
hangs since last month

there seems to be some serious problem with firefox extensions .. may
be with the older ones or ones that are not updated

Ron Hunter

Aug 7, 2007, 10:02:45 PM8/7/07

Nor have I with WinXP, SP2, in three different flavors. If those who
are having trouble will just provide adequate information, and WORK with
us, I am sure their issues can be resolved.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

Bob Howard

Aug 7, 2007, 10:13:17 PM8/7/07

"Ron Hunter" <rphu...@charter.net> wrote in message

I've been watching this forum for a while now, and really don't understand
all the shouting re: the new version. I'm sure the problems are real for
the people having them, but not everyone is having a problem. I'm having
zero issues at all (except an occasional performance issue that's not even
worth mentioning at this point).

It would be good to hear more from those who are having NO problems ... it
may give some "hope" to those with problems since they'll know that FF is
not inherently "bad".

Bob

Irwin Greenwald

Aug 8, 2007, 1:53:47 AM8/8/07
On 8/7/2007 7:13 PM, Bob Howard wrote:

<snip>

> I've been watching this forum for a while now, and really don't understand
> all the shouting re: the new version. I'm sure the problems are real for
> the people having them, but not everyone is having a problem. I'm having
> zero issues at all (except an occasional performance issue that's not even
> worth mentioning at this point).
>
> It would be good to hear more from those who are having NO problems ... it
> may give some "hope" to those with problems since they'll know that FF is
> not inherently "bad".
>
> Bob

Bob:

These are *user support* forums, so one would expect the preponderance
of posts would be about problems people are having. Unfortunately, some
users experience most of their problems when a new release is installed,
so there is a tendency to "trash talk" the new release. As you can see
from the posts in these forums *many* people have pointed out that the
new release installed flawlessly.

The difficulty we "helpers" have is that the ones with problems aren't
always clear in describing the steps that occurred before disaster
struck; perhaps they don't always remember. Also they are quite
frustrated because they have "lost" critical data and/or are unable to
perform critical work and so are not too patient with trying the
suggestions we make.

After a month or so, all will settle down.

Ron Hunter

Aug 8, 2007, 3:22:13 AM8/8/07
It seems to me that MANY of the ones who claim to have problems are not
willing to try to work out their issues, but rather want to rant, and
then ask where they can get an earlier version. Frankly, I suspect some
of these are trolls. FF is becoming popular enough that I think MS is
finally getting around to some organized propaganda warfare. Perhaps
this is just paranoia, but the number of people who don't seem to want
help, but rather just post they can't make it work, then leave, makes me
wonder.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

Wink

Aug 8, 2007, 9:09:36 PM8/8/07
No, it is not the operating system. Various machines in my house run
Windows 2000 server, XP, and Vista--the Firefox issues cross the spectrum.

The problem is that FireFox has become the obese pig it was built to
supplant.

e.g., I run six tabs as a 'home page." I set Firefox, IE7 and Opera to
run the same home page. Over the past few days, task manager has shown
that Firefox(sometimes appearing to TM to be running twice) takes
170-240k (or 240-480k)of memory, IE7 takes 70-90k, and Opera 35-40k.
'nuff said.

PS: Just for S&G, FF 1.5 (though on a different machine so therefore
not experimentally valid) took 62-68k to run the same home page.

Alex K.

Aug 9, 2007, 3:01:11 AM8/9/07

Please bottom post in these groups, that is, place your reply below the
quoted material, as I have done here. Thanks.

As for having two instances of firefox.exe showing in task manager, you
need to see this page, as it could be a sign of a trojan:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox.exe_always_open

As to the memory usage, you may want to see the information this page,
and the links referred to on it:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_-_Firefox

--
Alex K.

us...@domain.invalid

Aug 9, 2007, 8:30:56 PM8/9/07
Hi;
I follow this forum religiously and have gleaned a lot of useful
information and great solutions to any problems that I have encountered
with F.F.. I have downloaded 2.0.0.6 and other than it not allowing me
to use a couple of my add ons which have not been updated to this
version yet, it is purring along. I have windows xp, sp2, Home edition.
I love this browser and think that anyone who is having problems should
maybe relax and give the people who help us a bit of information so they
can rectify the situation. With all the different possible
configurations and programs out there it is simply amazing that things
work as well as they do. Good Work FireFox team!!!
T.

Peter C. Chapin

Aug 10, 2007, 6:32:09 AM8/10/07
us...@domain.invalid wrote:

> I follow this forum religiously and have gleaned a lot of useful
> information and great solutions to any problems that I have encountered
> with F.F.. I have downloaded 2.0.0.6 and other than it not allowing me
> to use a couple of my add ons which have not been updated to this
> version yet, it is purring along.

I have Firefox 2.0.0.6 installed on several machines (Windows XP) and it
is working fine for me. I don't believe the browser is fundamentally
flawed. I hope whatever issues it has that is causing others problems
will be addressed soon.

Peter

squaredancer

Aug 10, 2007, 7:04:27 AM8/10/07
On 10.08.2007 02:30, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused
us...@domain.invalid to generate the following:? :

with many "updates", the problem seems to lie in the installer - it
would seem that the "download installer.exe" works as designed but the
auto-updates cause a lot of pain!

One poster has located a running version of Thunderbird as his "cause of
failure" - needs to be verified and bug-reported, if it is a true cause!

Otherwise, my personal opinion is to *NOT* update until after I have
followed these NGs for several weeks - and also after reading the list
of updated "features". I'm not one who scares easily (socalled security
risks) and I certainly do not want most of the bells-and-whistles that
come with the updates! - but that is, of course, an individual choice!

reg