Multiple Java Console version listing in 3.6

Herb

Jan 24, 2010, 6:35:29 AM1/24/10
My FF 3.6 Add-ons window contains no less than six Java Console versions
(5.0.12, 6.0.10, 6.0.12, 6.0.13, 6.0.14, 6.0.15, 6.0.17).

I don't remember this Java Console version proliferation in the past.

Any comments?

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Christoph Schmees

Jan 24, 2010, 7:13:37 AM1/24/10
Herb schrieb:

> My FF 3.6 Add-ons window contains no less than six Java Console versions
> (5.0.12, 6.0.10, 6.0.12, 6.0.13, 6.0.14, 6.0.15, 6.0.17).
>
> I don't remember this Java Console version proliferation in the past.
>
> Any comments?

deinstall old versions in "Software", Java...

Cal Tinson

Jan 24, 2010, 8:07:20 AM1/24/10
On 1/24/2010 6:35 AM eastern, Herb wrote:
> My FF 3.6 Add-ons window contains no less than six Java Console versions
> (5.0.12, 6.0.10, 6.0.12, 6.0.13, 6.0.14, 6.0.15, 6.0.17).
>
> I don't remember this Java Console version proliferation in the past.
>
> Any comments?

Here's the solution copied from another thread:

On 1/22/2010 9:58 AM eastern, Bernd wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------

>> I've been unable to remove the outdated Java Console versions
manually. Anyone else know how?

> You'll find the Java Console(s) in the "extensions" folder under the
Firefox Program folder.
> They have cryptic GUID names like
>
> {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0017-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
>
> The 4th part of that GUID contains the Java (Console) version.
> "0017" in the above case.
> Just delete the unwanted versions and restart FF.
>
> Bernd

That does it! I just removed all except 6.0.18. Thanks, Bernd.

Ron Hunter

Jan 24, 2010, 9:46:17 AM1/24/10
On 1/24/2010 5:35 AM, Herb wrote:
> My FF 3.6 Add-ons window contains no less than six Java Console versions
> (5.0.12, 6.0.10, 6.0.12, 6.0.13, 6.0.14, 6.0.15, 6.0.17).
>
> I don't remember this Java Console version proliferation in the past.
>
> Any comments?

Yes.
Go to Sun site. Download and install 6.0.18 version of Java. It SHOULD
get rid of the old versions, there, and in Add/Remove Programs dialog.
If not, download JavaRA from the Sun site, and run it. It will remove
all the old versions from your system.

--
Ron Hunter -- rphu...@charter.net

Herb

Jan 24, 2010, 10:00:19 AM1/24/10

Thanks, but under "Add or Remove Programs" I only see "Java 6 Update 17"
and "Java 6 Update 14", not all the other versions listed in the FF 3.6
Add-on window.

What next? Should I simple use the Uninstall option in the FF 3.6 Add-on
window to get rid of the old versions?

In any case, is this some kind of FF 3.6 bug? I don't remember seeing
multiple versions in the past.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Ron K.

Jan 24, 2010, 11:13:19 AM1/24/10
Herb on 1/24/2010 10:00 AM, keyboarded a reply:

First do a Windows uninstall of U 14 and recheck Fx. If there are remaining
extras, use Explorer to look in Program Files for files in Mozilla Firefox
> Plugins. There may be copies of old NPxxx.dll files. While Fx is
capable of running plugins from file locations in the home location of the
program providing the plugin, some plugins get cloned to the Fx folder too.

--
Ron K.

Herb

Jan 24, 2010, 11:51:57 AM1/24/10

Thanks for your reply.

I uinstalled U 14 as you suggested.

FF no longer lists it in the Add-ons window, but it still lists all the
other old ones.

I have quite a few NPxxx.dll in the Plugins folder, but clearly not all
of them relate to Java.

Interestingly, I don't see all the old versions under about:plugins.

What next?

Should I try uninstalling the old ones via the Uninstall option in the
FF 3.6 Add-on window?

The fact that they are listed there isn't really a problem, of course,
but I don't like this kind of clutter.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

David Pyles

Jan 24, 2010, 12:06:57 PM1/24/10
Herb, go here: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and download the
offline version of Java ( the 15.9MB file) and install from that. A
couple of days ago I tried installing from the "online" installer (the
one you get when you click the download ling on the java.com home page)
and it didn't get rid of all of the old versions of Java. I downloaded
the "offline" version and installed from it and it cleaned everything up
and the install works perfectly.

Dave Pyles

Cal Tinson

Jan 24, 2010, 1:13:49 PM1/24/10
On 1/24/2010 11:51 AM eastern, Herb wrote:

> What next?
>
> Should I try uninstalling the old ones via the Uninstall option in the
> FF 3.6 Add-on window?
>
> The fact that they are listed there isn't really a problem, of course,
> but I don't like this kind of clutter.

Hi, Herb - Read this recent thread: Extensions added after upgrade to
Firefox 3.6

It contains Bernd's fix which I quoted in my first reply in this thread,
and which is the only way I was able to do *precisely* what you're
trying to do.

BTW, notice that 6.0.18, which you apparently don't have, is the latest.

Teodor Väänänen

Jan 24, 2010, 2:28:59 PM1/24/10

As a note to the side, the various versions of the Java Console caused
my Firefox to refuse starting in anything but safe mode when I upgraded
from 3.5.7 to 3.6. Disabling all add-ons, then enabling them one by one
(leaving Java Console for last, as the number of versions caught my eye)
revealed that Java was what caused Firefox to misbehave.

Is my guess correct, that those hitting this error should remove
everything but the freshest of the Java Console?

/Teo.

--
Teodor V��n�nen | Don't meddle in the affairs of wizards,
<teostup...@algonet.se> | for you are good and crunchy with

Ron Hunter

Jan 24, 2010, 5:24:50 PM1/24/10
Might as well go to the Sun site and get the latest version while you
are at it. Latest is 6.18.

Bernd

Jan 24, 2010, 6:02:02 PM1/24/10

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Hi, Herb - Read this recent thread: Extensions added after upgrade to
> Firefox 3.6
>
> It contains Bernd's fix which I quoted in my first reply in this thread,
> and which is the only way I was able to do *precisely* what you're
> trying to do.

Hi, Cal !

Thank you for your insistent promotion f8r my fix ;-)

Bernd

Herb

Jan 25, 2010, 1:26:06 AM1/25/10

Hi Cal

Thanks for your message - I had missed your earlier reply.

Bernd's fix does indeed work (all other attempts to rectify the
situation had failed) - thanks for all the replies.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk