Sqlite format for bookmarks is a problem.

John Corliss

Jun 19, 2008, 11:47:18 AM6/19/08
I've always set my bookmarks file (bookmarks.html) to be my home page so
that FF will load faster. Now I can't do this any longer because
bookmarks aren't stored in that file, they're stored in your profile's
"places.sqlite" file and that file won't display in FF. Even though my
bookmarks.html file still exists, it's no longer updated by FF whenever
I add or delete bookmarks. Instead, that "places.sqlite" file is what
gets updated and as I said, it won't display.

Does anybody have a suggestion other than having to continually export
the bookmarks to overwrite the existing bookmarks file? This added step
is too much for me as often as I alter my bookmark.... eh,
"places.sqlite" file.

By the way, IMO, the three new "non-bookmark bookmarks" named "Most
Visited", "Recently Bookmarked" and "Recent Tags" shouldn't even be in
bookmarks, they should be under the "History" menu item.

If you export the "places.sqlite" file to the "bookmarks.html" file, and
then open that file in FF3, clicking on any of those "non-bookmark
bookmarks" results in the following error message:
Alert

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol
(place) isn't associated with
any program.

OK

and since they are history related items, all of them, IMO they
shouldn't be under the "Bookmarks" menu but rather, should be under the
"History" menu item.

Regardless, the switching from use of the bookmarks.html to the
"places.sqlite" file is going to cause me tons of other problems which I
won't go into here.

I don't need this grief.

--
John Corliss

Chris Ilias

Jun 19, 2008, 12:47:44 PM6/19/08
On 6/19/08 11:47 AM, _John Corliss_ spoke thusly:

> I don't need this grief.

John, please remember that the bookmarks.html file was not intended to
be displayed in a browser, or used as a start page.
--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

John Corliss

Jun 19, 2008, 1:14:52 PM6/19/08
Chris Ilias wrote:

> John Corliss wrote:
>> I don't need this grief.
>
> John, please remember that the bookmarks.html file was not intended to
> be displayed in a browser, or used as a start page.

Well, for a file that was never intended to be displayed, it sure does
so perfectly, even down to displaying link descriptions.

I'm currently trying to find a freeware program which will allow me to
both view and edit .sqlite files.

--
John Corliss

Sealord

Jun 19, 2008, 1:28:13 PM6/19/08

John Corliss

Jun 19, 2008, 2:39:45 PM6/19/08
Sealord wrote:
> SQLite Manager 0.2.43

As Alex said in "Clockwork Orange", "Welly welly welly well!"

LOL God bless you. Just what I was looking for!!!!

--
John "bowing and scraping as he backs out the door" Corliss

Ned

Jun 19, 2008, 2:46:58 PM6/19/08
about:config
browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML
set it to true and it will update the bookmarks.html file from the sqlite databbase.

--
-- Ned --

John Corliss

Jun 19, 2008, 2:56:33 PM6/19/08

Really! That's excellent and works great! Many, many thanks!

--
John Corliss

Dave Symes

Jun 19, 2008, 3:11:23 PM6/19/08
In article <Aqudnd8OXMstEMfV...@mozilla.org>,

Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:
> On 6/19/08 11:47 AM, _John Corliss_ spoke thusly:
> > I don't need this grief.

> John, please remember that the bookmarks.html file was not intended to
> be displayed in a browser, or used as a start page.

Chris, I have to confess I'm totally confused by this bookmark change
business. Though my bookmarks *did* survive the change from 2.0.0.14 to
The V3 release yesterday.

1) In Ff3 is the bookmarks.html file still used?

2) Aside from being a db file. what exactly does places.sqlite do?

When I've looked at it in a sqlite Db manager, or the addon SQlite
manager, I see nothing that is user, usable. Or to put it another way, I
don't see my bookmarks.

If bookmarks.html is not being used, just where are they stored?

Thanks
Dave S

Dave Symes

Jun 19, 2008, 3:23:35 PM6/19/08
In article <8LGdnU1hxIouNMfV...@mozilla.org>,

Ned <nre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> about:config browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML set it to true and it will
> update the bookmarks.html file from the sqlite databbase.

Thanks for that bit 'o info Ned, just what I needed.

cheers
Dave S

Mumia Wotse

Jun 19, 2008, 4:04:36 PM6/19/08
On 06/19/2008 10:47 AM, John Corliss wrote:
> I've always set my bookmarks file (bookmarks.html) to be my home page so
> that FF will load faster. Now I can't do this any longer because
> bookmarks aren't stored in that file, they're stored in your profile's
> "places.sqlite" file and that file won't display in FF. Even though my
> bookmarks.html file still exists, it's no longer updated by FF whenever
> I add or delete bookmarks. [...]

In the "about:config" interface, set "browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML"
to "true"

Chris Ilias

Jun 19, 2008, 8:38:34 PM6/19/08
On 6/19/08 3:11 PM, _Dave Symes_ spoke thusly:

> In article <Aqudnd8OXMstEMfV...@mozilla.org>,
> Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:
>> On 6/19/08 11:47 AM, _John Corliss_ spoke thusly:
>>> I don't need this grief.
>
>> John, please remember that the bookmarks.html file was not intended to
>> be displayed in a browser, or used as a start page.
>
> Chris, I have to confess I'm totally confused by this bookmark change
> business. Though my bookmarks *did* survive the change from 2.0.0.14 to
> The V3 release yesterday.
>
> 1) In Ff3 is the bookmarks.html file still used?

No.

> 2) Aside from being a db file. what exactly does places.sqlite do?
>
> When I've looked at it in a sqlite Db manager, or the addon SQlite
> manager, I see nothing that is user, usable. Or to put it another way, I
> don't see my bookmarks.
>
> If bookmarks.html is not being used, just where are they stored?

places.sqlite is file, where bookmarks and history are stored. I'm not
sure what you mean by what does it "do". I haven't used the add-on; but
SQLite [1] is an open-source database format, and I have used a separate
SQLite Database Browser [2]. The bookmarks are in places.sqlite. :-)

[1]<http://www.sqlite.org/>
[2]<http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/>

Message has been deleted

Dave Symes

Jun 20, 2008, 1:50:32 AM6/20/08
In article <JNudnYelerCXYcfV...@mozilla.org>,

Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:
> On 6/19/08 3:11 PM, _Dave Symes_ spoke thusly:

[Snip]

> > If bookmarks.html is not being used, just where are they stored?

> places.sqlite is file, where bookmarks and history are stored. I'm not
> sure what you mean by what does it "do". I haven't used the add-on; but
> SQLite [1] is an open-source database format, and I have used a separate
> SQLite Database Browser [2]. The bookmarks are in places.sqlite. :-)

[Snip Links. Thanks for those]

Obviously my Ff3 Profile does have a places.sqlite file, but it doesn't
contain any bookmarks or history in user readable form.

Viewed in SQLite Database browser it contains stuff like...

+ Moz_bookmarks table CREATE TABLEmoz_bookmarks...

and so on.

Same for History.

I've expanded very single + There is not a single bookmark stored in
places.sqlite

So I remain confused.

Cheers
Dave S

»Q«

Jun 20, 2008, 2:37:35 AM6/20/08
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 06:50:32 +0100
Dave Symes <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> Obviously my Ff3 Profile does have a places.sqlite file, but it
> doesn't contain any bookmarks or history in user readable form.
>
> Viewed in SQLite Database browser it contains stuff like...
>
> + Moz_bookmarks table CREATE TABLEmoz_bookmarks...
>
> and so on.
>
> Same for History.
>
> I've expanded very single + There is not a single bookmark stored in
> places.sqlite

The URLs and titles are in a table called "moz_places".

Ron Hunter

Jun 20, 2008, 4:03:13 AM6/20/08
Open places.sqlite, click on moz_places.
My bookmarks are there.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dave Symes

Jun 20, 2008, 1:02:43 PM6/20/08
In article <-8-dnS2nnJjf-cbV...@mozilla.org>,
Ron Hunter <rphu...@charter.net> wrote:
> Dave Symes wrote:

[Snip]

> > I've expanded very single + There is not a single bookmark stored in
> > places.sqlite
> >
> > So I remain confused.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Dave S
> >
> Open places.sqlite, click on moz_places.
> My bookmarks are there.

Thanks folks, I'm now in the picture.

When I was searching the Db and opened moz_places, the "url" column only
showed http://www. all else was behind the next column "title" which
contained mostly one and a half words.

Again thanks for the input, appreciated.

Cheers
Dave S

I have a downer on dedicated DB applications, So...
For what it's worth, I've made the About:Config mod., so that the
Bookmarks.html is updated.
D.

»Q«

Jun 20, 2008, 9:52:27 PM6/20/08
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:38:07 +0200
squaredancer <square...@t-online.de> wrote:

> YES - but not to read the BMs into your browser. You can set FF3 to
> auto-update bookmarks.html in the about:config. This allows you to
> use the profile for BOTH FF3 and an older version, as the profile is
> (by default) common to both. Therefor, the older version will use
> bookmarks.html, FF3 will use places.sqlite.

And any changes made to bookmarks.html by the old Fx will be
overwritten next time you use Fx 3.

Message has been deleted

Jay Garcia

Jun 21, 2008, 8:26:16 AM6/21/08
On 21.06.2008 06:03, squaredancer wrote:

> true - damned Catch22 situation, isn't it! The user just can't win!
>
> reg

Bookmarks are no longer written to "bookmarks.html" unless you choose to
export.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

David Pyles

Jun 21, 2008, 9:00:02 AM6/21/08
On 6/21/2008 8:26 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 21.06.2008 06:03, squaredancer wrote:

In about:config you can toggle browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML to true
and it will cause Firefox 3 to keep your bookmarks.html in sync with
your places.sqlite file.

Dave Pyles

Jay Garcia

Jun 21, 2008, 9:17:32 AM6/21/08
On 21.06.2008 08:00, David Pyles wrote:

>> On 21.06.2008 06:03, squaredancer wrote:

Right, I should have said .. without having to jump through a hoop! ;-)

Message has been deleted

Jay Garcia

Jun 21, 2008, 9:47:22 AM6/21/08

Jun 21, 2008, 10:41:17 AM6/21/08
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 21.06.2008 08:00, David Pyles wrote:

That's not much of a "hoop". More like a "seddit and fuggedit". Note
though, that the updating doesn't occur as you make changes.
Unfortunately, the bookmarks.html file gets updated only when you close
Firefox.

--
John Corliss

Jay Garcia

Jun 21, 2008, 11:09:20 AM6/21/08

Not for you or me it's no biggie hoop. But then again 90% of the users
out there are not you or me.

John Corliss

Jun 21, 2008, 11:16:28 AM6/21/08
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 21.06.2008 09:41, John Corliss wrote:

Those people would never even notice that the file name and format had
changed anyway. 80)>

--
John Corliss

Message has been deleted

Jay Garcia

Jun 21, 2008, 11:53:10 AM6/21/08
On 21.06.2008 10:16, John Corliss wrote:

>> On 21.06.2008 09:41, John Corliss wrote:

They would if they tried to sync to a PDA or whatever else. You can't
sync an empty file. :-D

But since you're the antagonist of the hoop criteria, we'll put you in
charge of explaining to the nOObies how it works when the create the
fuss. :-)

The Flock team recognized that fact and will be adding the pref in the
UI as a checkbox in a future version. Flock 2 beta-1 is already released
for testing - http://www.flock.com/beta/download

Ron Hunter

Jun 21, 2008, 12:04:32 PM6/21/08
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 21.06.2008 06:03, squaredancer wrote:

Or set the 'autoexport' on in about:config.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

Ron Hunter

Jun 21, 2008, 12:05:51 PM6/21/08
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 21.06.2008 09:41, John Corliss wrote:

GEESH, Jay, I hope there are more Firefox users than THAT!
Grin.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

Message has been deleted

Jay Garcia

Jun 21, 2008, 12:29:54 PM6/21/08
On 21.06.2008 11:04, Ron Hunter wrote:

>> On 21.06.2008 06:03, squaredancer wrote:

Right ... And the new Flock 2 beta-1 also has that in about:config AND
will be added as a check box UI later ..

Jay Garcia

Jun 21, 2008, 12:30:42 PM6/21/08
On 21.06.2008 11:05, Ron Hunter wrote:

>> On 21.06.2008 09:41, John Corliss wrote:

Uhhh, tha't 90% of FF users .. GEESH yerself. :-)

Jay Garcia

Jun 21, 2008, 12:31:34 PM6/21/08

Jun 21, 2008, 12:44:48 PM6/21/08
to Firefox user help
Jay Garcia has written on 6/21/2008 12:31 PM:

To you, maybe, but as a reader, "bookmarks" make more sense to me! :-)

Message has been deleted

John Corliss

Jun 21, 2008, 3:54:44 PM6/21/08
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 21.06.2008 11:05, Ron Hunter wrote:

LOL He got yuh, didn't he.

--
John Corliss

Dave Symes

Jun 21, 2008, 4:39:23 PM6/21/08
In article <1vidnVfk-ZArscDV...@mozilla.org>,
Jay Garcia <J...@JayNOSPAMGarcia.com> wrote:
[Snippy]

> "Favorites" is more intuitive than "bookmarks" but ... :-)

Yes but! "Favourites" is up there with "MyComputer" in the cretin stakes.

Dave S

Dave Symes

Jun 21, 2008, 4:41:08 PM6/21/08
In article <0-idnfq6s4jkrsDV...@mozilla.org>,
squaredancer <square...@t-online.de> wrote:

> yep - and if you are into things like encyclopedia etc, they also use
> "bookmark this article" and so on, so that you can go back to it!

> Also, the semantics of "favorites" is wrong - I bookmark a URL that I
> visit once in five years... does that make it one of my "favorites" ???
> A Bookmark is a marker, pure and simple - "mark this URL for future
> reference"

> reg

Hit the nail firmly on the head, well done that man.

Dave S

Ron Hunter

Jun 21, 2008, 6:10:36 PM6/21/08
squaredancer wrote:
> On 21.06.2008 18:44, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Pete Holsberg
> to generate the following:? :
> yep - and if you are into things like encyclopedia etc, they also use
> "bookmark this article" and so on, so that you can go back to it!
>
> Also, the semantics of "favorites" is wrong - I bookmark a URL that I
> visit once in five years... does that make it one of my "favorites" ???
> A Bookmark is a marker, pure and simple - "mark this URL for future
> reference"
>
> reg
>
> reg

I quite agree, and putting my filepaths in the same bucket is downright
stupid.

Ron Hunter

Jun 21, 2008, 9:44:07 PM6/21/08
Hardly. Just because I choose to bookmark www.medicare.gov certainly
does NOT make that site a favorite site of MINE. They just sent me a
package telling me that they are screwing me AGAIN! Sigh.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

John Corliss

Jun 21, 2008, 10:41:47 PM6/21/08

Netscape use the term "Bookmark" long before Internet Explorer came
along and shoved the term "Favorite" down everybody's collective throats.

The term "Favorite", like "My Documents" (why not simply "Documents"?)
is a Microsoftism.

--
John Corliss

Blinky the Shark

Jun 22, 2008, 1:05:55 AM6/22/08

Yeah, but you can no longer put it where you find it useful.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

Blinky the Shark

Jun 22, 2008, 1:02:39 AM6/22/08
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 21.06.2008 11:07, squaredancer wrote:

>> hmmmm - anyone who calls Bookmarks "favorites" (like Microsoft stuff) is
>> on my suspicious list before we even start looking!
>

> "Favorites" is more intuitive than "bookmarks" but ... :-)

Only to IE users, since they've never read a book. :)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

EE

Jun 22, 2008, 2:10:13 PM6/22/08
squaredancer wrote:
> On 21.06.2008 03:52, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused »Q« to
> generate the following:? :
>> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:38:07 +0200
>> squaredancer <square...@t-online.de> wrote:
>>

>>> YES - but not to read the BMs into your browser. You can set FF3 to
>>> auto-update bookmarks.html in the about:config. This allows you to
>>> use the profile for BOTH FF3 and an older version, as the profile is
>>> (by default) common to both. Therefor, the older version will use
>>> bookmarks.html, FF3 will use places.sqlite.
>>>

>> And any changes made to bookmarks.html by the old Fx will be
>> overwritten next time you use Fx 3.

> true - damned Catch22 situation, isn't it! The user just can't win!
>
> reg

You can export bookmarks in either JSON format or HTML format from the
Organise Bookmarks window. If you export them to some other location to
back them up, you can import them from there.

Ron Hunter

Jun 22, 2008, 3:30:20 PM6/22/08

Where do you want to put it, and why can't you put it there?

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

Message has been deleted

Blinky the Shark

Jun 22, 2008, 6:03:05 PM6/22/08

I'd like it to remain on my flash drive so that both my desktop and
laptop systems can continue using it, depending where I'm sitting.

Ron Hunter

Jun 22, 2008, 8:47:33 PM6/22/08
If they are on a network, can't they use the same profile across the
network?
I am sure I saw a portable version of FF3 on Downloads.com.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

pop

Jun 22, 2008, 9:56:05 PM6/22/08
»Q« said the following on 6/20/2008 8:52 PM:

> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:38:07 +0200
> squaredancer <square...@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>> YES - but not to read the BMs into your browser. You can set FF3 to
>> auto-update bookmarks.html in the about:config. This allows you to
>> use the profile for BOTH FF3 and an older version, as the profile is
>> (by default) common to both. Therefor, the older version will use
>> bookmarks.html, FF3 will use places.sqlite.
>
> And any changes made to bookmarks.html by the old Fx will be
> overwritten next time you use Fx 3.
There is an "export" setting (browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML) which
implies that changes to places.sqlite will be written to bookmarks.html;
and an "import" setting (browser.places.importBookmarksHTML) which seems
to imply that changes to bookmarks.html will be written to places.sqlite

I may be wrong about that but I've been wrong before... :-)
--
(^\pop/^)
I'm lost... I've gone to look for myself.

Blinky the Shark

Jun 22, 2008, 10:58:23 PM6/22/08

If they were on a network, I wouldn't be using the flash drive. :)

Jeff▲Relf

Jun 23, 2008, 1:17:25 AM6/23/08
I have dialup ( 52 kilo bits per second down, 26 up, I'm poor ),
and I upload my bookmarks.html file ( to back it up ).

Now, with FF3, I have to upload places.sqlite ( a much larger file ),
clogging my Internet connection for 5+ minutes ? not good.

Can FireFox 3 decrease contrast and increase brightness of images
( preferably, just .JPG files ) ?

Jeff▲Relf

Jun 23, 2008, 1:21:08 AM6/23/08
Ignore, test.

Jeff▲Relf

Jun 23, 2008, 1:31:41 AM6/23/08

Mumia Wotse

Jun 23, 2008, 2:45:49 AM6/23/08
On 06/23/2008 12:31 AM, Jeff▲Relf wrote:
> I have dialup ( 52 kilo bits per second down, 26 up, I'm poor ),
> and I upload my bookmarks.html file ( to back it up ).
>
> Now, with FF3, I have to upload places.sqlite ( a much larger file ),
> clogging my Internet connection for 5+ minutes ? not good.
> [...]

You can still use bookmarks.html:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=wMydncAAgJvHm8DV...@mozilla.org

Mumia Wotse

Jun 23, 2008, 3:42:46 AM6/23/08
On 06/22/2008 08:56 PM, pop wrote:
> »Q« said the following on 6/20/2008 8:52 PM:
>>
>> And any changes made to bookmarks.html by the old Fx will be
>> overwritten next time you use Fx 3.
> There is an "export" setting (browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML) which
> implies that changes to places.sqlite will be written to bookmarks.html;
> and an "import" setting (browser.places.importBookmarksHTML) which seems
> to imply that changes to bookmarks.html will be written to places.sqlite
>
> I may be wrong about that but I've been wrong before... :-)

Thanks for that. I've just read
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.places.importBookmarksHTML , and it
seems to me that if you make both of these options true in user.js,

browser.places.importBookmarksHTML
browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML

you should have a bookmarks.html that is pretty much kept in sync with
places.sqlite. User.js is automatically read upon Firefox's startup, and
it overrides prefs.js, and it is not modified by the browser. That means
that you can keep importBookmarksHTML set. By default,
importBookmarksHTML is switched to false after the import, but user.js
will make sure it's always true when FX starts.

Jeff▲Relf

Jun 23, 2008, 5:45:55 AM6/23/08
Re: My slow dailup connection, and my desire to upload bookmarks.html,
instead of spending 5+ minutes uploading “ places.sqlite ” ..

As you noted, this ( in User.JS ) works great:
“ user_pref("browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML", true ); ”.

P.S. Sorry about the multiple posts,
News.Mozilla.ORG is acting real goofy.

Not only is it taking hours before a post shows up ( unheard of ),
it's accepting posts to newsgroups that don't exist,
e.g. it lets you post to “ Mozilla.Support.Firefox3ZZ ”.

Please suggest a regular newsgroup ( for FireFox 3 and CSS 3 ),
one that normal NNTP servers might carry.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jun 23, 2008, 11:15:49 AM6/23/08
Try using news://news.mozilla.org/ mozilla.support.org

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com
Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jun 23, 2008, 11:29:08 AM6/23/08
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
> Jeff▲Relf wrote:
>> Re: My slow dailup connection, and my desire to upload bookmarks.html,
>> instead of spending 5+ minutes uploading “ places.sqlite ” ..
>>
>> As you noted, this ( in User.JS ) works great:
>> “ user_pref("browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML", true ); ”.
>>
>> P.S. Sorry about the multiple posts,
>> News.Mozilla.ORG is acting real goofy.
>>
>> Not only is it taking hours before a post shows up ( unheard of ),
>> it's accepting posts to newsgroups that don't exist,
>> e.g. it lets you post to “ Mozilla.Support.Firefox3ZZ ”.
>>
>> Please suggest a regular newsgroup ( for FireFox 3 and CSS 3 ),
>> one that normal NNTP servers might carry.
>>
> Try using news://news.mozilla.org/ mozilla.support.org

Let's try again:

Mumia Wotse

Jun 23, 2008, 12:54:20 PM6/23/08

alt.fan.mozilla
netscape.public.mozilla.browser
netscape.public.dev.css

Most probably the netscape.* newsgroups are inactive now. All those ng's
were moved over to the news.mozilla.org server years ago.

»Q«

Jun 23, 2008, 6:54:44 PM6/23/08
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 00:17:25 -0500
Jeff▲Relf <Jeff_Relf@.Invalid> wrote:

> Can FireFox 3 decrease contrast and increase brightness of images
> ( preferably, just .JPG files ) ?

No.

Chris Ilias

Jun 23, 2008, 7:04:11 PM6/23/08
On 6/23/08 11:29 AM, _Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T_ spoke thusly:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>
>> Try using news://news.mozilla.org/ mozilla.support.org
>
> Let's try again:

There is no newsgroup called mozilla.support.org.
--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Jeff▲Relf

Jun 23, 2008, 10:07:31 PM6/23/08
Thanks for telling me FireFox 3 can't decrease contrast
nor increase brightness of images ( e.g. all .JPG files ).

Jeff▲Relf

Jun 24, 2008, 5:24:58 AM6/24/08
Thanks for suggesting “ Alt.Fan.Mozilla ”,
if “ News.Mozilla.ORG ” keeps acting up I might go there.

By the way, contrary to what I said in
“ news:Jeff_Relf@2008_Jun22_5.3Ai ”,
FF3 is now up to CSS 2.1, CSS 3 is schedualed for 3.1.

Opera 9.5 ( recently released ) already has CSS 3.
What version of CSS will IE8 hace when it comes out ?

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jun 24, 2008, 11:16:43 AM6/24/08
Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 6/23/08 11:29 AM, _Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T_ spoke thusly:
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>>
>>> Try using news://news.mozilla.org/ mozilla.support.org
>>
>> Let's try again:

> There is no newsgroup called mozilla.support.org.
Sorry meant

»Q«

Jun 24, 2008, 11:46:10 PM6/24/08
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 04:24:58 -0500
Jeff▲Relf <Jeff_Relf@.Invalid> wrote:

> What version of CSS will IE8 hace when it comes out ?

Please find a Microsoft group to get answers to questions about their
products. microsoft.* is carried by most Usenet servers, or you could
use their own msnews.microsoft.com server.

[followup set to mozilla.general]

nobrowser

Jul 23, 2008, 4:06:19 AM7/23/08
On Jun 23, 2:45 am, Jeff▲Relf <Jeff_Relf@.Invalid> wrote:
> Re: My slow dailup connection, and my desire to upload bookmarks.html,
> instead of spending 5+ minutes uploading " places.sqlite " ..
>
> As you noted, this ( in User.JS ) works great:
> " user_pref("browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML", true ); ".

Too bad the import setting doesn't seem to really work. Well, it does
*something* - namely, discards the new bookmarks I create (which after
all should be saved in the sqlite file).

So, for the purpose of sharing bookmarks among multiple computers, I
am where I started - FF3 seems to make it impossible. !&*#%!#!
What were they *thinking* ??

David McRitchie

Jul 23, 2008, 6:05:37 AM7/23/08
"Jeff▲Relf" <Jeff_Relf@.Invalid> wrote in message news:Jeff_Relf@2008_Jun24_2.24A6...

> Thanks for suggesting “ Alt.Fan.Mozilla ”,
>
> By the way, contrary to what I said in
> “ news:Jeff_Relf@2008_Jun22_5.3Ai ”,

> What version of CSS will IE8 hace when it comes out ?

Hi Jeff_Relf,
Please start a new thread for a new question, you have incorrectly
started a new question by replying to someone else's question to
start a sub-thread of your own with a different subject, then again new
subjects of your own on your purloined sub-threads and again quoting
irrelevant information from a thread, so people don't know what
they are or should be replying to. Don't change the subject of a thread.

Do start a new thread for a new question.

Every new thread has a reference number and each reply carries
reference numbers to each posting directly replied to, so it is easy
to see that you are making a mess of threads, and changing subjects.
If you are not seeing a threaded view of this newsgroup then you are using
newsgroups incorrectly.

I can't tell how you are accessing this newsgroup, but the following article
helps with subscribing to newsgroups
http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/01/instructions-for-new-newsgroup-server/
but does not how to show threads for each newsreader.

--
HTH,

Ron Hunter

Jul 23, 2008, 1:04:22 PM7/23/08
I had a bit of trouble getting it to work at first, but finally found
that two settings need to be made, one is a boolean value, and the other
is a string value.

Lou

Jul 23, 2008, 1:34:00 PM7/23/08

Gee, maybe the OP would like to know what you did in detail.

Ron Hunter

Jul 23, 2008, 8:19:46 PM7/23/08

Yeah, me too. Grin.

There are two config entries, one is export bookmarks and the other
import bookmarks. If they are both set correctly, then bookmarks.html
file is SUPPOSED to be updated correctly. However, I have since created
a clean profile for FF3 and have not made the changes, since I no longer
switch between FF2 and FF3.

Jeff▲Relf

Jul 24, 2008, 6:13:17 PM7/24/08
By pure chance, I happened to notice your post while googling.
I wasn't subscribed to Mozilla.Support.Firefox
because I'm already using 2 NNTP servers and I don't want a third.

You and whoever it was that decided Mozilla.Support.Firefox
shouldn't be carried by other NNTP servers would be “ More Valuable ”
if you could actually understand how UseNet works .. if.

You reply to a post ( a person ), not a thread, not a newsgroup.
Threads branch like a tree; my titles reflect that, yours should too.

You told me:
“ Every new thread has a reference number

and each reply carries reference numbers

to each posting directly replied to ”.

They're called Message-ID's ( “ article numbers ” are numbers );
going down the root, the current subthread ( branch ) is:
“ Jeff_Relf@2008_Jun22_10.31Pp
Mumia_Wotse dvGdnT0LY7cExMLV...@mozilla.org
Jeff_Relf@2008_Jun23_2.45A5

Mumia_Wotse 2KadnQS80MXcRcLV...@mozilla.org
Jeff_Relf@2008_Jun24_2.24A6
David_McRitchie eb-dnfSD35SxnhrV...@mozilla.org ”.

You told me:
“ I can't tell how you are accessing this newsgroup ”.

I use “ News.Mozilla.ORG:80 ”; my hand-rolled newsreader
is called X.EXE ( it's in my “ JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Games.ZIP ” ).

I loathe sigs, but I noticed yours has: “ MVPS.ORG/dmcritchie ”.
Your FireFox page is way too large and it takes too long to load.
On FireFox 3, I'm using: “ JeffRelf.F-M.FM/userContent.CSS ”.