CPU Usage

Graham Wiffen

Feb 9, 2008, 2:37:36 PM2/9/08
My system regularly runs at high usage, sometimes at 100%.

Does anyone else have this issue and know how to stop it?

Thx
Graham

SG

Feb 9, 2008, 2:38:54 PM2/9/08

it's supposed to!!!

would you want your car running on only half its cylinders?

Graham Wiffen

Feb 9, 2008, 2:52:46 PM2/9/08
Cant believe its supposed to run at 100% and take minutes, YES minutes,
after clicking on the mouse to do something else!!

If thats the case, I'm off back to IE

"SG" <spaamt...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Ron K.

Feb 9, 2008, 3:23:30 PM2/9/08
Graham Wiffen keyboarded, On 2/9/2008 2:37 PM :

What are you doing when the CPU meter is pegging? If it is on a site
loaded with Flash this is a common result. Get the FlashBlock Add-on
and you can gain total control of which animations you want or need to see.

--
Ron K.

David McRitchie

Feb 9, 2008, 3:51:01 PM2/9/08
"Graham Wiffen"
> My system regularly runs at high usage, sometimes at 100%.
>
> Does anyone else have this issue and know how to stop it?

Hi Graham,
100% all the time is definitely a problem, other than infrequent
spikes. Firefox itself is generally checked out fairly well, so
the problem is probably with an extension or a theme. You
can see if running in Safe Mode eliminates the problem as that
turns off both extensions and themes.

Anyone who says the software will try to make use of slack time
to tune your system, is probably a salesman or very gullible.

One of the first places to look is
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

Also check out the listing of the extensions that I use, and
particularly the one's I just disabled for 2.0.0.12 -- they
may not all cause a problem, but they are disabled for one
reason or another -- you own experience and my experience
later may vary. (look for fx2disabled)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/infolister_listing#fx2disabled
There may be additional comments on my main page
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm#extensions

If that does not help. Change to the default/supplied theme,
recheck, disable 1/2 of the still enabled extensions until you find
the problem solved, Then re-enable those you disabled starting
with about 1/2 of the recently disabled, you may well have more
than one problem extension.

Before starting, try to find some things that specifically have problems,
so you will have an idea if problem is fixed later or not, such as
- blank page and then hitting F5 (Reload)
- Google search
- An addons.mozilla.org page for any extension
- site you originally experienced problem on

--
HTH,
David McRitchie,

William Xu

Feb 10, 2008, 3:46:12 AM2/10/08
SG <spaamt...@yahoo.com> writes:

> it's supposed to!!!
>
> would you want your car running on only half its cylinders?

That's insane. Especially when cpu usage is high, the fan would run too
happily to make loud noise(macbook here).

The problem could be originated from some sites that fails firefox(3.0b2
here). I encountered this problem very often when I tried to mysql's
online manuals, which is kind of big page. I think I had reported the
problem through firefox's crash reporter.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

Rick

Feb 10, 2008, 9:33:10 PM2/10/08
Add more memory. I do not see any Mozilla products using a lot of memory.

--

Rick
Fargo, ND

Remember the USS Liberty
http://www.ussliberty.org/

Jarno Suni

Feb 27, 2008, 9:20:36 AM2/27/08
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 15:51:01 -0500
"David McRitchie" <nospam@nospam> wrote:

> "Graham Wiffen"
> > My system regularly runs at high usage, sometimes at 100%.
> >
> > Does anyone else have this issue and know how to stop it?

Yes, I have had this issue long time. My current version is
"Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.12) Gecko/20080207
Ubuntu/7.10 (gutsy) Firefox/2.0.0.12"

> Hi Graham,
> 100% all the time is definitely a problem, other than infrequent
> spikes. Firefox itself is generally checked out fairly well, so
> the problem is probably with an extension or a theme. You
> can see if running in Safe Mode eliminates the problem as that
> turns off both extensions and themes.
>
> Anyone who says the software will try to make use of slack time
> to tune your system, is probably a salesman or very gullible.
>
> One of the first places to look is
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

I have FireFTP, NoScript and Update Notifier that are found in the
list. I want to use these in addition to Tab Mix Plus and Web
Developer. BTW Is there some advantage to use mozilla-tabextensions
package over Tab Mix Plus in Ubuntu?

I want to use these add-ons so there should be a way to debug where the
problem lies.

Firefox is now using constantly about 40% CPU time and it shouldn't do
much now. Restarting helps, but that is not the answer.

The problem does not happen always so it is hard to test which add-on
might be causing it.

--
Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.

David McRitchie

Feb 27, 2008, 6:56:38 PM2/27/08

HTH,
David McRitchie,

"Jarno Suni" <lo...@signature.invalid> wrote in message news:20080227162036.5ba20e9f@jarnos-laptop...

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 15:51:01 -0500
"David McRitchie" <nospam@nospam> wrote:

> "Graham Wiffen"
> > My system regularly runs at high usage, sometimes at 100%.
> >
> > Does anyone else have this issue and know how to stop it?

Yes, I have had this issue long time. My current version is
"Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.12) Gecko/20080207
Ubuntu/7.10 (gutsy) Firefox/2.0.0.12"

> Hi Graham,
> 100% all the time is definitely a problem, other than infrequent
> spikes. Firefox itself is generally checked out fairly well, so
> the problem is probably with an extension or a theme. You
> can see if running in Safe Mode eliminates the problem as that
> turns off both extensions and themes.
>
> Anyone who says the software will try to make use of slack time
> to tune your system, is probably a salesman or very gullible.
>
> One of the first places to look is
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

I have FireFTP, NoScript and Update Notifier that are found in the
list. I want to use these in addition to Tab Mix Plus and Web
Developer. BTW Is there some advantage to use mozilla-tabextensions
package over Tab Mix Plus in Ubuntu?

Hi Jarno,
Web Developer isn't likely to be a problem, keep it.
This is the only extension of those you listed, that I use.

Update Notifier, don't see any point, see options in
Tools, Options, Advanced, Update

FireFTP did you read the discussions and reviews, try turning off
the Del option, in any case the problematic extensions, specifically
mentions problems with high CPU use. (have to try several times to
get to the webpage)
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

Tab Mix Plus, too big with not much to offer me.

Jarno Suni

Feb 28, 2008, 7:44:27 AM2/28/08
Hi David,

Please don't add your signature (with --) on top of your message. It
confuses my usenet reader.

Yes, Update Notifier seems to be pointless, as there is the
functionality in FF itself. Sometimes it is hard to know when
functionality of some extension is covered by FF updates.

As for FireFTP, I don't understand what is the Del option you are
talking about. I would be surprised if the add-on would cause high CPU
use even if it is not used (though installed and enabled).

As for Tab Mix Plus, I don't see its size as problem. Do you use some
other tab add-on?

David McRitchie

Feb 28, 2008, 9:18:52 AM2/28/08
"Jarno Suni"
As for FireFTP, I don't understand what is the Del option you are
talking about. I would be surprised if the add-on would cause high CPU
use even if it is not used (though installed and enabled).

As for Tab Mix Plus, I don't see its size as problem. Do you use some
other tab add-on?

Hi Jarno,
Please post in plain text. Posting in XMIME or whatever you have
makes it confusing when trying to post to your postings. My signature
at top is my problem when I start replying immediately to a bottom
posting newsgroup such as most of the Mozilla newsgroups.

I don't know what the Del option is in FireFTP either, but it is mentioned
in the discussions of FireFTP, but I could not find anything relating it to CPU
problems, in fact it might have only been that the option did not work.
But you might want to go through all of the discussions at the add-ons site.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/discussions/?AddOnID=684

Problematic Extensions mentions high cpu usage in older FireFTP
versions, keep in mind that if it was a problem before, it may be a
recurrent problem or not really fixable. If you are not using it much
it is simple to disable an extension, and reenable it when you need it.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

There are no features in Tab Mix Plus that I would install such a large
extension for. I do not want to group tabs, color tabs, create new
tabs anywhere but on far right. The only thing I would want to do
is to Lock/Protect tabs but near as I can tell the functions of those
are reversed as to which is which in any case doesn't match Opera.
You can read/see how I handle tabs with a lot less overhead
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs.htm

»Q«

Feb 28, 2008, 4:20:56 PM2/28/08
"David McRitchie" <nospam@nospam> wrote:

> Hi Jarno,
> Please post in plain text. Posting in XMIME or whatever you have
> makes it confusing when trying to post to your postings.

He did post in plain text, quoted printable. OE had a longstanding,
intentional bug which caused it not to use quote characters when
replying to QP text, and I guess it survives in Windows Mail.

I've set followup to mozilla.general, since this has nothing to do
with Firefox.