getting rid of the extra tab "recently bookmarked" ?

boz

Jul 30, 2008, 12:46:24 PM7/30/08
How can I get rid of the extra tab "recently bookmarked" under the bookmarks
in FF3? I don't need it. I sort my bookmarks when saving them so this tab is
useless and anoying to me. Seems a waste of space and causes more clutter
IMO.

JM

Jul 30, 2008, 12:55:37 PM7/30/08
Go to bookmarks-organize bookmarks-bookmarks menu and delete the folder
"recently bookmarked." However, since this folder is somewhat part of
the firefox browser, it may be automatically re-created when you
bookmark your next page, I'm really not sure. I personally don't
recommend deleting this folder.

EE

Jul 30, 2008, 2:52:11 PM7/30/08

That is one of the folders I deleted from FF3, and it has not come back.
I see no reason to have it there, since I organize new bookmarks and
integrate them with the others.

Ron Hunter

Jul 30, 2008, 3:26:34 PM7/30/08
If you mean in the organize bookmarks dialog, I don't think anyone has
found a way to get rid of it, but if it is on your personal (bookmarks)
toolbar, you can right-click and delete it.

boz

Jul 30, 2008, 11:07:47 PM7/30/08
It's under the Bookmarks in the menu bar on the top bar of FF3, not the
bookmarks toolbar. Everytime I bookmark something and figure out where I
want it to be it ends up being duplicated into the "recently bookmarked"
tab. If I try to clear it or delete the entire thing it deletes the bookmark
there and also wherever I decided to store it. It makes no sense to have
such duplication unless it is to be used for only a small amount of time and
then be deleted after shutting down the browser. How long do recently
bookmarked sites stay there? How many recent bookmarks can be listed there?
I did a quick look at about:config but could not find any settings for this
situation. There has to be a way to limit the number of bookmarks or it
would grow forever.
"Ron Hunter" <rphu...@charter.net> wrote in message

boz

Jul 30, 2008, 11:46:29 PM7/30/08
I took a closer look and realized their is a limit of 10 sites listed under
"recently bookmarked". It doesn't seem to matter when you added the
bookmarks. The last 10 stay until you add another one and it takes the top
spot in the list. I have personal medical sites bookmarked that I prefer not
be in this list due to privacy issues but I still see no way to remove them
othe than to go bookmark 10 useless sites everytime after you add something
you prefer not be out in everyone's face if you walk away from your
computer. Believe it or not it's not always about porn like some of you
smart folks seem to think. I would prefer my kids not be worrying about my
health so I would like to get rid of the "Recently Bookmarked" that is under
the main Bookmarks list. It's just too easy for someone to click on
"recently bookmarked" to see what medical office I have or will be visiting.
And for you smart asses on here, it's not STDs, it's cancer or something
along those lines. I get so disgusted when people always assume you must be
doing something wrong to want to hide something when in fact they really
have no fricking idea what's really happening. Sorry for the rant but now
maybe you can understand why these types of privacy issues are enough to
make people change the software they use. There is no reason for my family
or co-workers to know about my health issues until I decide it's time for
them to know. Do any of you Mozilla people understand that? Sometimes you
can add too many features or too much ease of use into any product. As you
get older it's not always wise to allow co-workers to know your private
business. Especially in these days of rampant layoffs. It's people like me
they are looking to remove so they can save on benefit costs.
"boz" <b...@yahoo.net> wrote in message

Ron Hunter

Jul 31, 2008, 4:23:37 AM7/31/08

I am sorry that you feel you have to hide your medical realities from
your family, but that is your choice, and here is how to do it.

First, if you are using a recent version of Windows, I will assume
WinXP, then you can, and SHOULD, define a 'user profile' for each family
member, complete with password, and always log off your profile each
time you use the computer. That way, each member of the family gets
his/her own desktop, Firefox, and Firefox profile. Yes, this is a bit
of work to set up, but it assures you of the privacy you desire.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

Jay Garcia

Jul 31, 2008, 9:11:17 AM7/31/08

Aug 1, 2008, 2:19:51 PM8/1/08

"Jay Garcia" <J...@JayNOSPAMGarcia.com> wrote in message

Here is my bottom post reply (as requested). I have no idea who or what Mr.
Paragraph has to do with anything. I am not a professional writer. Thank you
for your help with my question and your guidance on the correct way to post
to the mozilla newsgroups. I will do my best to always remember the
officially correct way to post in any future. Again thank you for your most
kind and considerate help involving my original question. You people
complete me.

boz

Aug 3, 2008, 3:31:13 PM8/3/08
"boz" <b...@yahoo.net> wrote in message

Opened bookmarks in sidebar, deleted the "recently bookmarked" entire tab,
looked under bookmarks and it was gone. Had an extra seperator bar, right
clicked and deleted that also. It did not come back after reboot. I did not
lose any bookmarks, they were where I'd put them when I organized them.
Downloaded "clear privacy items" extension, installed and set it up. Ran it
and the bookmark history was empty. This extension was just released on the
mozilla site today. Such a simple solution to an aggravating item. I don't
understand why Mozilla is adding more and more things for no reason. Like
recently bookmarked items. If I want to have it in a convenient place I
would drag it to the personal bookmark bar. Then Mozilla has to double up on
junk and put the bookmark tollbar listings under the mqain bookmark tab. You
guys are starting to be more and more like Microsoft. You put so much
unneeded, doubled up crap in the browser that it's getting to the point
where we mihgt as well use Internet Explorer. You have history items that
are hard to find and remove. I really don't want to know which bookmark I
use the most. It doesn't matter to me at all. If I wanted all this fluff I
would have stayed with Microsoft. If people want to add things to the
browser then you should write these things in as extensions. But to just
load up the new FF3 with crap is going in the opposite direction of why
users have been using your products. If I want hidden B/S all over my
computer I'll just head on back to Microsoft. I do wonder if this has
anything to do with Mozilla being backed by Google now. The original Firefox
browser idea was simplicity but you guys are putting the same info in
several different places for no usable reason. I think you should go back to
the "Simplicity" approach as this was the root reason for mozilla in the
first place. Now your getting as trashy as Microshaft. And what in the world
would you want to go and do that for?
Make it simple. If people want to complicate it build extensions. That way
they can make it as hard as possible and I can trust that FF will be easy
and fast.
Thank you

Message has been deleted

EE

Aug 3, 2008, 5:43:16 PM8/3/08
FredW wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 15:31:13 -0400, "boz" <b...@yahoo.net> wrote:
>
>> "boz" <b...@yahoo.net> wrote in message
>>> How can I get rid of the extra tab "recently bookmarked" under the
>>> bookmarks in FF3? I don't need it. I sort my bookmarks when saving them so
>>> this tab is useless and anoying to me. Seems a waste of space and causes
>>> more clutter IMO.
>> Opened bookmarks in sidebar, deleted the "recently bookmarked" entire tab,
>> looked under bookmarks and it was gone. Had an extra seperator bar, right
>> clicked and deleted that also. It did not come back after reboot. I did not
>> lose any bookmarks, they were where I'd put them when I organized them.
>> Downloaded "clear privacy items" extension, installed and set it up. Ran it
>> and the bookmark history was empty. This extension was just released on the
>> mozilla site today. Such a simple solution to an aggravating item.
>
> Thank you very much for sharing.
> I can now consider moving on from 2.0.0.16 to 3.0.2.
> (when 3.0.2 comes out)
> ;-)

>> You have history items that are hard to find and remove.
>> I really don't want to know which bookmark I use the most.
>> It doesn't matter to me at all.
>
>> Make it simple. If people want to complicate it build extensions. That way
>> they can make it as hard as possible and I can trust that FF will be easy
>> and fast.
>
> I couldn't agree more.

A few tips on getting things to clear or fail to show:
Stop showing bookmarks in URL bar in FF3:
user_pref("browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled", false);
user_pref("browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped", true);
user_pref("places.frecency.bookmarkVisitBonus", 0);
user_pref("places.frecency.unvisitedBookmarkBonus", 0);

Allow typed entries in address bar to clear with history (FF3):
user_pref("places.frecency.typedVisitBonus", 0);
user_pref("places.frecency.unvisitedTypedBonus", 0);

Message has been deleted

EE

Aug 4, 2008, 4:47:38 PM8/4/08
squaredancer wrote:
> On 03.08.2008 23:43, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused EE to generate
> the following:? :
> @ EE
>
> I would suggest that you *COMPLETE* this list by adding just what the
> config-entries do (not all users are that FF-literate), then copy the
> text as an auto phrase and post it each time a user wants to know what
> to edit/change/adjust to acomplish the various effects.....
>
> reg

The user_pref lines are taken from my user.js and prefs.js files. If
you create a user.js file, you can copy those lines right into it.
Maybe the autocomplete disable is not really needed for stopping
bookmarks from showing up in the URL dropdown, but I found it annoying
anyway. Other than that, the remarks just above the user_pref lines
tell you what they do. I copied that text from my Firefox tips file,
where I keep odds and ends of useful info about Firefox.

Message has been deleted

Fox on the run

Aug 4, 2008, 5:25:40 PM8/4/08
<snip>

> First, if you are using a recent version of Windows, I will assume
> WinXP, then you can, and SHOULD, define a 'user profile' for each family
> member, complete with password, and always log off your profile each
> time you use the computer.  That way, each member of the family gets
> his/her own desktop, Firefox, and Firefox profile.  Yes, this is a bit
> of work to set up, but it assures you of the privacy you desire.
>
> --
> Ron Hunter  rphun...@charter.net

I agree, the best way to retain privacy is to set up individual user
accounts on Windows. That way each user logs into their own account
and uses their own browser with their own "My Documents" and all the
rest of the stuff that shuold be separated from other users of your
system even if family members.

In absence of that, you could set up a second profile under Firefox.
That second profile could be your own personal profile that you'd use
when using Firefox in a shared environment (i.e. with all family
members with the same Windows Logon account). This isn't as secure
because someone else could figure out that there is another profile
and start FF with that profile to see what's in it. But it's much,
much more private than your current setup. If this is something you'd
like to do, let me know and I can give you instructions on how to set
up a second FF profile (even on a flash/htumb drive if you wanted to
keep it with you - thus keeping it private from others). You can have
it so that FF will automatically start with a given profile when a
user clicks on the FF icon. But you could either create a second FF
icon to launch the second profile (but then so could others - as this
is not password protected vs if you had separate MS Windows accounts),
or type it in the Start, Run command box (which I can also help you
with).

I don't know if you got some offline comments about hiding porn or
some such thing. Unless I missed it, I didn't see anyone suggest that
you were trying to do so at all. As a matter of fact from what I saw
those who did reply with a suggestion remained very neutral as to why
you might want to do this. So I'm a little unclear as to why you felt
some were suggesting you were attempting to do this for immoral
reasons (recognizing that the definition of what is immoral will vary
from individual to individual).

Let me know if you want to implement what I suggested with assistance
from myself and others on the list.

JB