Firefox can't find the file at........

pro...@nowhere.ca

Sep 5, 2009, 7:28:52 PM9/5/09

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this....can't say I
remember running across this scenario in prior 3.5.2 FF versions.

Several times now when I type in a buzz word into the URL bar, the
following error message will be gernerated:

<quote on>
File not found
Firefox can't find the file at jar:file:///C:/Program Files/Mozilla
Firefox/chrome/en-US.jar!/locale/browser-region/region.propertiesccleaner.

<quote off>

At this particular time, I was searching for the CCleaner software URL
and had typed in "ccleaner" (without the quote marks) into the url bar.
If however, I typed in "ccleaner software" (again without the quote
marks), FF immediately loaded CCleaner's home page.

Now I wish I had paid more attention to what I had typed in the URL bar
before when this condition cropped up but for the life of me I can't
remember what other examples would generate this error message.

Anyways, any thoughts on this would be much appreciated....thanks. :-)

Martin

Sep 5, 2009, 9:25:44 PM9/5/09
I don't know if it has anything to do with this - looks like it -

The original task for Mosaic - which beget ...... all others - was a disk
file system viewer for the manager. Most don't know of that background.

I've used it and hyper-linked local files for years.

Martin

Alice Wyman

Sep 5, 2009, 9:47:18 PM9/5/09

pro...@nowhere.ca

Sep 5, 2009, 11:27:24 PM9/5/09

Thanks Alice....yes it would seem that the Ask toolbar was the problem.
I forgot to untick the "Install Ask toolbar" on one of my regular apps
as I was installing an upgrade to it. I did uninstall the Ask toolbar
later that day but the file "AskSearch.js" wasn't removed with the
uninstall. <grrr....> The second link you so kindly sent along provided
the clue....deleted "AskSearch.js" and now things seem to be back to normal.

Thanks again....much appreciated. :-)

pro...@nowhere.ca

Sep 5, 2009, 11:29:10 PM9/5/09

Thanks for the reply, Martin. :-) Seems like the problem was related to
a left over file (AskSearch.js) from an Ask toolbar install. Thanks for
the input though...much appreciated. :-)

Alice Wyman

Sep 9, 2009, 3:23:40 PM9/9/09
You're welcome.

Thanks for mentioning that the file "AskSearch.js" wasn't removed with
the Ask toolbar uninstall. I've added that information to
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions#Ask.com_Toolbar

Alice

EE

Sep 10, 2009, 3:33:43 PM9/10/09

Firefox recognizes that any expression with a space in it is not an
internet address, and treats it as search terms automatically. If you
type something into the address bar that has no spaces, Firefox is
assuming that you are entering a URL and tries to go to it.

Tarkus

Sep 10, 2009, 3:49:27 PM9/10/09
EE wrote:
> Firefox recognizes that any expression with a space in it is not an
> internet address, and treats it as search terms automatically. If you
> type something into the address bar that has no spaces, Firefox is
> assuming that you are entering a URL and tries to go to it.

Wrong. I just typed "death" into the address bar, and it took me to the
Wikipedia page for "death". I'm guessing since Google is my default
search engine, that it's pointing me to its best guess for what I want.

pro...@nowhere.ca

Sep 10, 2009, 5:25:38 PM9/10/09

Probably you should reread what I typed starting at "At this particular
time......etc"; both entries took me directly to the homepage. :-)

EE

Sep 12, 2009, 1:47:12 AM9/12/09

It does not work for me. I just tried it and got a "requested URL could
not be retrieved" error. It tried to look up http://death/.

Pete Holsberg

Sep 12, 2009, 3:09:06 PM9/12/09
to Firefox user help
EE wrote:

Perhaps Tarkus is using OpenDNS?

Darkless

Sep 29, 2009, 4:18:36 AM9/29/09
I had solved the same problem removing foxit toolbar, so pay attention
on all crappy toolbars :D