Firefox 5

Jeff Grossman

Jun 18, 2011, 9:36:38 PM6/18/11
I guess you can download the final build of Firefox 5 now. It won't
be officially released until the 21st but it is available on the
Mozilla FTP site.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/18/firefox-5-slips-out-ahead-of-schedule-gets-official-june-21st/

Jay Garcia

Jun 18, 2011, 9:54:09 PM6/18/11

Jun 18, 2011, 10:26:46 PM6/18/11
On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 20:54:09 -0500, Jay Garcia
<J...@JayNOSPAMGarcia.com> wrote:

>On 18.06.2011 20:36, Jeff Grossman wrote:

I said the FTP site, not the HTTP site.

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/5.0/win32/en-US/

Jay Garcia

Jun 18, 2011, 11:20:22 PM6/18/11
On 18.06.2011 21:26, Jeff Grossman wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 20:54:09 -0500, Jay Garcia
> <J...@JayNOSPAMGarcia.com> wrote:
>
>>On 18.06.2011 20:36, Jeff Grossman wrote:

That link I posted is what I got when I clicked on the file from the ftp
site like I mentioned. It's changed in the last few hours since I first
posted.

FYI, the http ftp link brings you to the same place as the ftp link. The
only basic difference is the protocol. FTP predates HTTP by seven years.

My current UA: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/5.0

Jay Garcia

Jun 18, 2011, 11:22:40 PM6/18/11
On 18.06.2011 21:26, Jeff Grossman wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 20:54:09 -0500, Jay Garcia
> <J...@JayNOSPAMGarcia.com> wrote:
>
>>On 18.06.2011 20:36, Jeff Grossman wrote:

And on firefox.com it's still 4.0.1

Jeff Grossman

Jun 18, 2011, 11:44:31 PM6/18/11
On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 22:22:40 -0500, Jay Garcia
<J...@JayNOSPAMGarcia.com> wrote:

>On 18.06.2011 21:26, Jeff Grossman wrote:

I am sure that page won't get updated until it is officially released
on the 21st. I was just saying that there was an article on
engadget.com that mentions you can get the release build of 5.0 before
it is officially available.

Jeff

Good Guy

Jun 19, 2011, 12:08:38 AM6/19/11

Downloaded and it works fine on my clunky machine! who needs IE9? I don't.

Jeff Grossman

Jun 19, 2011, 12:14:46 AM6/19/11
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 05:08:38 +0100, Good Guy <hello...@example.com>
wrote:

What does the user agent say under about:support?

Good Guy

Jun 19, 2011, 12:18:57 AM6/19/11

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0

Good Guy

Jun 19, 2011, 12:20:31 AM6/19/11

Application Basics

Name
Firefox

Version
5.0

User Agent

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0

Profile Directory

Open Containing Folder

Enabled Plugins

about:plugins

Build Configuration

about:buildconfig

Extensions

Name

Version

Enabled

ID

Java Console
6.0.07
true
{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0007-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Java Console
6.0.22
true
{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0022-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Java Quick Starter
1.0
true
j...@sun.com

3.02
true
{68836a21-fc7d-4ea1-a065-7efabd99d414}

XULRunner
1.9.1
true
{2BCAC28A-F851-4061-A5DA-8ACCD4C25492}

Browsing Protection
1.10
false
litm...@f-secure.com

MeasureIt
0.4.8
false
{75CEEE46-9B64-46f8-94BF-54012DE155F0}

Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant
1.0
false
{20a82645-c095-46ed-80e3-08825760534b}

Modified Preferences

Name

Value

accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar
0

browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion
2

browser.startup.homepage
http://www.google.com

browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID
20110615151330

browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone
rv:5.0

dom.disable_window_flip
false

extensions.lastAppVersion
5.0

gfx.blacklist.direct2d
2

gfx.blacklist.layers.direct3d10
2

gfx.blacklist.layers.direct3d10-1
2

network.cookie.prefsMigrated
true

places.database.lastMaintenance
1308452079

places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages
10705

print.print_bgcolor
false

print.print_bgimages
false

print.print_command

print.print_downloadfonts
false

print.print_evenpages
true

print.print_in_color
true

print.print_margin_bottom
0.5

print.print_margin_left
0.5

print.print_margin_right
0.5

print.print_margin_top
0.5

print.print_oddpages
true

print.print_orientation
0

print.print_page_delay
50

print.print_paper_data
0

print.print_paper_height
11.00

print.print_paper_size_type
1

print.print_paper_size_unit
0

print.print_paper_width
8.50

print.print_printer

print.print_reversed
false

print.print_scaling
1.00

print.print_shrink_to_fit
true

print.print_to_file
false

print.print_unwriteable_margin_bottom
0

print.print_unwriteable_margin_left
0

print.print_unwriteable_margin_right
0

print.print_unwriteable_margin_top
0

privacy.cpd.siteSettings
true

privacy.popups.showBrowserMessage
false

privacy.sanitize.migrateFx3Prefs
true

privacy.sanitize.timeSpan
0

security.warn_viewing_mixed
false

security.warn_viewing_mixed.show_once
false

Graphics

Adapter Description
Intel(R) 82815 Graphics Controller (Microsoft Corporation)

Vendor ID
8086

Device ID
1132

Adapter RAM
Unknown

Adapter Drivers
i81xdnt5

Driver Version
6.13.1.3198

Driver Date
6-8-2001

Direct2D Enabled
false

DirectWrite Enabled
false (0.0.0.0, font cache n/a)

WebGL Renderer
(WebGL unavailable)

GPU Accelerated Windows
0/1

Message has been deleted

Jay Garcia

Jun 19, 2011, 7:43:05 AM6/19/11

Jun 19, 2011, 3:47:31 PM6/19/11

Sites like engadget and majorgeeks unfortunately don't know much about
open source, and don't realize that every Firefox 5 build (alphas,
betas, release candidates) are publicly available, and that anything you
see before an announcement still needs testing and verification.

Putting builds on the FTP server is just part of the release process.
They builds on FTP need to be verified, and then it takes time for them
to propagate to FTP mirrors, and those need to be verified. And
unfortunately, the press starts advertising it before the release
process is done. That's why nightly builds used to be called "Minefield".

It's an issue that happens with every release.
http://beltzner.ca/mike/2006/10/23/its-not-like-were-ashamed/
http://soberbuildengineer.com/blog/2006/10/the-anti-release/
http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/03/firefox-1502-has-not-been-released/
http://ilias.ca/blog/2005/11/looking-at-ftp-sites-for-mozilla-releases/
http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/04/looking-at-ftp-sites-for-mozilla-releases-part-ii/

http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.firefox/msg/8893f5c2d81805ac
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.firefox/msg/2dc08aa8b9cd02d1

As usual, it's best to use the Firefox Update system. See
<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Updating%20Firefox>.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

WLS

Jun 19, 2011, 4:22:42 PM6/19/11

or wait until it shows up the repository of your Linux distribution,
since they remove the ability to check for updates via the Firefox,
SeaMonkey and Thunderbird update systems.

Good Guy

Jun 19, 2011, 4:40:32 PM6/19/11

This version appears to be very fast on my clunky machine! I am a very
happy man now that I can continue using my old machine which has still
some life left! I am doing my best to help our environment!

Dave Symes

Jun 19, 2011, 4:43:21 PM6/19/11
Question please... I need illuminating.

Why is there going to be a release of Fx 5 when Fx 4 has not been around
that long?

Is/was Fx 4 a disaster and needs to be replaced?

While all my Win machines have Fx 4.nn as the Browser of choice, I'm also
running a test version of 5 betas... Now on 5b7 but can't say I see any
particular difference in the UI or the way it runs.

Thanks
Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Chris Ilias

Jun 19, 2011, 4:50:10 PM6/19/11

Mozilla has moved to a rapid release process, where Firefox gets updated
every few weeks. See <https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease>.

Ron Hunter

Jun 19, 2011, 5:27:31 PM6/19/11
Dave,
To 'flesh out' what Chris I. said:
The rather long process of updating/upgrading Firefox has been
streamlined. Basically, before, Firefox issued a new 'major release'
about every year, with 'point releases' for security updates, and bug
fixes, but new features were held until the next major release. This
process meant keeping track of several 'in process' versions of the
software, and keeping up with multiple alpha, beta, and nightly, builds
of the software. It also impeded the introduction of new features be
holding them even after they were ready, and tested.
The new process maintains a beta and nightly build system, with an
alpha build for the next release (with nightlies), and then updates
whatever is ready for release every 6 weeks, with the next version
number. It is hoped that this new process will deliver improved
features, as well and bug fixes, and security updates in a more timely
way, to the benefit of all of users.
It will, I hope, minimize the 'shock' value of a new version that
has so many differences that user are sometimes intimidated by so many
changes that they are reluctant to update, and that many extensions are
broken, and don't work.

Wayne

Jun 19, 2011, 5:44:07 PM6/19/11

Will FF5 support 64-bit Java on Win-7 x64?

--
Wayne

Ron Hunter

Jun 19, 2011, 6:18:26 PM6/19/11
It isn't a case of supporting 64 bit Java, but of having an official x64
release. I suspect that until the bugs are worked out with Flash, there
won't be an official x64 release. But it you want to test, you can find
64 bit builds.

Simon Sheehan

Jun 19, 2011, 6:59:53 PM6/19/11
to Firefox help community
Out of curiosity, what are the advantages to using a more rapid release? And
won't the version numbers start getting a bit high?

On the note of x64: To the average user, there does not seem to be much of
an advantage so far. Flash also has not been updated since November for x64,
leading me to become a bit concerned on the use of x64 browsers. I hope we
can see some more updates on it.

>>> ahead-of-schedule-gets-**official-june-21st/<http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/18/firefox-5-slips-out-ahead-of-schedule-gets-official-june-21st/>

>> Will FF5 support 64-bit Java on Win-7 x64?
>>
>> It isn't a case of supporting 64 bit Java, but of having an official x64
> release. I suspect that until the bugs are worked out with Flash, there
> won't be an official x64 release. But it you want to test, you can find 64
> bit builds.

Ron Hunter

Jun 19, 2011, 7:23:50 PM6/19/11
On 6/19/2011 5:59 PM, Simon Sheehan wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what are the advantages to using a more rapid release? And
> won't the version numbers start getting a bit high?
>
> On the note of x64: To the average user, there does not seem to be much of
> an advantage so far. Flash also has not been updated since November for x64,
> leading me to become a bit concerned on the use of x64 browsers. I hope we
> can see some more updates on it.

As I see it, the chief advantage to the rapid update schedule is that
new features will become available as soon as they are ready for
release, rather than waiting for the next major release. Another
advantage is that users will see changes to the UI as less dramatic as
it evolves, rather than a rather shocking change such as between FF3 and
FF4.

Simon Sheehan

Jun 19, 2011, 7:55:34 PM6/19/11
to Firefox help community
Would it not just be easier to do as Chrome has - to stop doing releases
like that, and just push updates once they are tested and ready?

I currently have no issue with what we have now - Nightly, Aurora, Firefox -
as it seems to be getting a LOT of bugs fixed faster, especially with the
Test Day's that have been going on. I'm very impressed, but I feel it might
be even easier if it was just pushing smaller updates when needed. Patching
instead of full release.

Good Guy

Jun 19, 2011, 8:07:10 PM6/19/11

Simon Sheehan wrote:
> Would it not just be easier to do as Chrome has - to stop doing releases
> like that, and just push updates once they are tested and ready?

Yes that is what I have suggested before. Instead of having any version
numbers, just have one name called firefox and behind the scenes there
are build numbers which users don't need to know about. I think adobe
has started doing this for its mainstream products like DW, FW, PS etc.

We should just call it Firefox (build 6954) but the headline name is
still FF. Updates should be applied automatically where ever possible
or an alert message in the system tray.
.

If every month there are 2 or 3 updates then we would start talking
about Firefox version 106 soon! This is not going to help anybody and
the product will lose credibility! People will just give up with the
updates.

Simon Sheehan

Jun 19, 2011, 8:16:20 PM6/19/11
to hello...@example.com, Firefox help community
I think that would make sense. However, I do think using Nightly and Aurora
is still a good idea, and they should continue with that. Maybe Aurora could
be a bug fixes one, and Nightly would turn into long-term feature
development and improvement.

Ron Hunter

Jun 19, 2011, 9:24:40 PM6/19/11
On 6/19/2011 6:55 PM, Simon Sheehan wrote:
> Would it not just be easier to do as Chrome has - to stop doing releases
> like that, and just push updates once they are tested and ready?
>
> I currently have no issue with what we have now - Nightly, Aurora, Firefox -
> as it seems to be getting a LOT of bugs fixed faster, especially with the
> Test Day's that have been going on. I'm very impressed, but I feel it might
> be even easier if it was just pushing smaller updates when needed. Patching
> instead of full release.

That is pretty much what the fast release thing is. When something is
ready, it goes out in the next release, whether it be a bug fix,
security update, added feature, or UI change. Evolution, rather than
revolution. If the changes aren't drastic, it is more of a 'patch
update' than a full download. Actually, 'patch' isn't really the right
word since many of the changes are just modules that don't need the
whole download.

Ron Hunter

Jun 19, 2011, 9:31:44 PM6/19/11

If you will look, only the version is visible to the user, unless you
look at troubleshooting modes. I find this rather a disadvantage from
the standpoint of user peer support. It is necessary that I know if you
are using 4, 5 or 6 if a problem needs to be addressed, or a user needs
help using a feature. It's difficult to explain how a feature works if
it turns out it isn't in the version the user HAS. Grin.

6 weeks times 100 is about 11 years. Time to work out a better
numbering scheme. Frankly, there is some perception problem with IE
being at 9, with 10 in sight, and Chrome at 12, and FF at 4.
I sometimes accuse Mozilla of 'copying Chrome', but in this case, it is
a matter or perception of users. If you can get version 4 of something,
or version 12, the perception is that 12 is probably better. Not
logical, but it is pretty much how people think.
I really would rather have a build number than just FF5 or FF6, but then
they didn't consult me....

Simon Sheehan

Jun 19, 2011, 9:33:37 PM6/19/11
to Firefox help community
I seem to get either 13-ish mb updates, or 3mb updates on my version of
Nightly x64, so I do see a difference there.

WLS

Jun 19, 2011, 10:28:39 PM6/19/11

They do have build number. It is in the troubleshooting information
under Modified Preferences. The following is for the RC of Fx5.

browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID 20110615151330

Jay Garcia

Jun 20, 2011, 12:32:38 AM6/20/11

Jun 20, 2011, 12:35:02 AM6/20/11
On 19.06.2011 17:59, Simon Sheehan wrote:

Most if not all your questions regarding rapid release:

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2011/04/13/new-channels-for-firefox-rapid-releases/

Tarkus

Jun 20, 2011, 12:15:57 PM6/20/11
On 6/19/2011 2:27 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> To 'flesh out' what Chris I. said:
> The rather long process of updating/upgrading Firefox has been
> streamlined. Basically, before, Firefox issued a new 'major release'
> about every year, with 'point releases' for security updates, and bug
> fixes, but new features were held until the next major release. This
> process meant keeping track of several 'in process' versions of the
> software, and keeping up with multiple alpha, beta, and nightly, builds
> of the software. It also impeded the introduction of new features be
> holding them even after they were ready, and tested.

Or to put it another way, they were feeling the heat from Chrome and
their rapid release schedule.

Dave Symes

Jun 20, 2011, 12:54:03 PM6/20/11
In article <AdOdnVTjkLIg9GPQ...@mozilla.org>,

Thanks to Chris, and also thanks to Ron for indeedy fleshing out the info.

I now understand.

Thank
Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Ron Hunter

Jun 20, 2011, 1:36:17 PM6/20/11

The general public seems to perceive version 4 as somehow inferior to
another product version 12. May not be accurate, or reasonable, but
there it is. As for the faster release process, I am all for it. It
gets new features to the user faster.

Ken Springer

Jun 20, 2011, 1:53:38 PM6/20/11
On 6/20/11 11:36 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> It gets new features to the user faster.

Hoping those new features aren't bug ridden. :-)

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.7
Firefox 3.6.17
Thunderbird 3.1.10
LibreOffice 3.3.2

Ron Hunter

Jun 20, 2011, 2:06:03 PM6/20/11
On 6/20/2011 12:53 PM, Ken Springer wrote:
> On 6/20/11 11:36 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>> It gets new features to the user faster.
>
> Hoping those new features aren't bug ridden. :-)

It is a law of computing that all programs have bugs. If you are
waiting for a completely bug-free program, you will be waiting a LONG
time, and it won't do much either.

Ken Springer

Jun 20, 2011, 2:14:49 PM6/20/11

True, for sure, but only time will tell if this faster release schedule
will allow for adequate testing for bugs. I wouldn't mind if there was,
oh, just say 5 bugs. But, if there were 500, that would be another
story. :-)

Tarkus

Jun 20, 2011, 3:09:45 PM6/20/11

Same here. Competition is good.

Chris Ilias

Jun 20, 2011, 5:07:27 PM6/20/11
On 11-06-20 1:36 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> The general public seems to perceive version 4 as somehow inferior to
> another product version 12.

In the rapid release plan, version numbers are not marketed.

Chris Ilias

Jun 20, 2011, 5:11:44 PM6/20/11
On 11-06-19 6:59 PM, Simon Sheehan wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what are the advantages to using a more rapid release? And
> won't the version numbers start getting a bit high?

The intent is to focus away from what version you are on. For instance,
you probably have never known which version of gmail you are using.

Tarkus

Jun 20, 2011, 6:00:08 PM6/20/11
On 6/20/2011 2:11 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 11-06-19 6:59 PM, Simon Sheehan wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, what are the advantages to using a more rapid
>> release? And
>> won't the version numbers start getting a bit high?
>
> The intent is to focus away from what version you are on. For instance,
> you probably have never known which version of gmail you are using.

But we still know what version of Firefox we're using: 5. Why call it
Firefox 5 if the intent is to focus away from what version we're on?

Chris Ilias

Jun 20, 2011, 6:21:15 PM6/20/11

Focusing away from something does not equal keeping it a secret.
Remember that it's not Mozilla that's pointing you to the FTP site.

Tarkus

Jun 20, 2011, 7:34:55 PM6/20/11
On 6/20/2011 3:21 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 11-06-20 6:00 PM, Tarkus wrote:
>> On 6/20/2011 2:11 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
>>> The intent is to focus away from what version you are on. For instance,
>>> you probably have never known which version of gmail you are using.
>>
>> But we still know what version of Firefox we're using: 5. Why call it
>> Firefox 5 if the intent is to focus away from what version we're on?
>
> Focusing away from something does not equal keeping it a secret.
> Remember that it's not Mozilla that's pointing you to the FTP site.

I was talking about the branding, not the download site. With no title
bar, I hadn't noticed they removed the version number there (though it
remains in TB5). My mistake.

Cy Burnot

Jun 20, 2011, 7:54:18 PM6/20/11
Ron Hunter has written on 6/20/2011 2:06 PM:

We had an axiom back in the 60's. Any program that has been completely
debugged is obsolete.

The Real Bev

Jun 20, 2011, 9:16:03 PM6/20/11
On 06/19/11 19:28, WLS wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>>
>> 6 weeks times 100 is about 11 years. Time to work out a better numbering
>> scheme. Frankly, there is some perception problem with IE being at 9,
>> with 10 in sight, and Chrome at 12, and FF at 4.
>> I sometimes accuse Mozilla of 'copying Chrome', but in this case, it is
>> a matter or perception of users. If you can get version 4 of something,
>> or version 12, the perception is that 12 is probably better. Not
>> logical, but it is pretty much how people think.
>> I really would rather have a build number than just FF5 or FF6, but then
>> they didn't consult me....
>
> They do have build number. It is in the troubleshooting information
> under Modified Preferences. The following is for the RC of Fx5.
>
> browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID 20110615151330

This number also shows up on the title bar of the window occupied by FF.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Tough? We drink our urine and eat our dead!"

The Real Bev

Jun 20, 2011, 9:24:15 PM6/20/11

"Moore's First Law of Cybernetic Entomology: There's always one more bug."

Maybe it's not Moore...

Dave Warren

Jun 20, 2011, 10:52:35 PM6/20/11
In message <Rf-dnTLBt-BvEGLQ...@mozilla.org> someone
claiming to be Ken Springer <word...@greeleynet.com> typed:

>True, for sure, but only time will tell if this faster release schedule
>will allow for adequate testing for bugs.

It shouldn't make too much difference, between automated testing doing
the lion's share of the "what other functionality might we have broken?"
and the smaller number of code changes in each release, the burden on QA
shouldn't be dramatically different.

Dave Symes

Jun 21, 2011, 2:03:44 AM6/21/11
In article <L5GdnTFLDtMSK2LQ...@mozilla.org>,

Chris Ilias <nm...@ilias.ca> wrote:
> On 11-06-20 1:36 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> > The general public seems to perceive version 4 as somehow inferior to
> > another product version 12.

> In the rapid release plan, version numbers are not marketed.

Mnnnn! Brings to mind another thought.
How will this impact on Addons and the Min-Max version within Install.rdf?

I only have a small set of Addons, but with every number change most of
them (Not all) fail with the usual "will not work with Firefox nn"

Okay, some of them I can tweak myself, but a few I've found cannot be
modded by the user... (Well they can, but refuse to play afterwards).

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Chimak111

Jun 21, 2011, 1:30:44 PM6/21/11

Jeff Grossman wrote:...

> on the 21st. I was just saying that there was an article on
> engadget.com that mentions you can get the release build of 5.0 before
> it is officially available.

Is there any particular benefit to getting it before "it is officially
available"? If someone wanted to be ahead of the curve, they could be
on the beta channel.

Given how stable Aurora is, being on beta would not be a terrifying
experience.

Ron Hunter

Jun 21, 2011, 1:54:56 PM6/21/11
I am running Firefox 5. Is it the final version? Is it a beta version,
a RC? I don't see any way to tell. Troubleshooting information doesn't
seem to reveal this information either. Should a problem arise, how do
peer support people know if I am using the final release version, or an
early beta? We NEED this information or we will be chasing problems
already fixed.

As for the extension compatibility issue. One can either wait until the
extensions update, in which case Firefox will update them automatically,
or install Add-ons Compatibility Report which will enable testing the
old extensions to see if they really do work. This carries a risk in
that if they really are not compatible, crashes, or worse, may happen.
You pays your money(time), and you takes your chances.

WLS

Jun 21, 2011, 2:05:19 PM6/21/11
Ron Hunter wrote:
> On 6/21/2011 1:03 AM, Dave Symes wrote:
>> In article<L5GdnTFLDtMSK2LQ...@mozilla.org>,
>> Chris Ilias<nm...@ilias.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> In the rapid release plan, version numbers are not marketed.
>>
>> Mnnnn! Brings to mind another thought.
>> How will this impact on Addons and the Min-Max version within
>> Install.rdf?
>>
>> I only have a small set of Addons, but with every number change most of
>> them (Not all) fail with the usual "will not work with Firefox nn"
>>
>> Okay, some of them I can tweak myself, but a few I've found cannot be
>> modded by the user... (Well they can, but refuse to play afterwards).
>>
>> Dave
>>
> I am running Firefox 5. Is it the final version? Is it a beta version, a
> RC? I don't see any way to tell. Troubleshooting information doesn't
> seem to reveal this information either.

I just downloaded and installed Fx5 in a separate location and the

browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID

from Troubleshooting Information is the same as the one from the RC I
was running and that happens to be 20110615151330.

That is how you tell what build/version you are running.

HTH

Ron Hunter

Jun 21, 2011, 2:24:04 PM6/21/11
Wonderful. Something else users will probably balk at doing.

WLS

Jun 21, 2011, 2:37:23 PM6/21/11

Well, when I check About Firefox in Fx 3.6.17, I see Firefox with
version 3.6.17 below Firefox. In Firefox 4.0.1, I just see 4.0.1 below
Firefox and the same with Fx 5.0.

So you are whining because they removed the word version?

IIRC Fx5.0 did have Firefox 5.0a(x) and Firefox 5.0b(x) for the Aurora
and Beta builds before the RC was released on 20110615.

nobody

Jun 21, 2011, 2:58:14 PM6/21/11
On 6/21/2011 1:03 AM, Dave Symes wrote:

For whatever it is worth, I currently have about 16 addons, *ALL* of
which work fine after upgrading to 5.0. None of them complained or
failed to work. This is the first time that has happened.

Chris Ilias

Jun 21, 2011, 3:37:29 PM6/21/11
On 11-06-21 2:03 AM, Dave Symes wrote:
> Mnnnn! Brings to mind another thought.
> How will this impact on Addons and the Min-Max version within Install.rdf?
>
> I only have a small set of Addons, but with every number change most of
> them (Not all) fail with the usual "will not work with Firefox nn"

A month ago, Firefox 4 compatible add-ons on AMO were scanned for
components which changed in Firefox 5. Those that passed, had their
compatibility bumped to Firefox 5. Approximately 93% passed.
See
<http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2011/05/21/firefox-5-compatibility-bump/>.

Ron Hunter

Jun 21, 2011, 3:38:25 PM6/21/11

Last I looked, I had 22 that also seem to run with no problems. One of
the long-term goals in Firefox seems to be better compatibility with
extensions over version changes. It will still be a problem with those
extensions that are heavily involved in changing the way FF works.

Ron Hunter

Jun 21, 2011, 3:40:43 PM6/21/11
I have been using the 5.0 beta versions since about b2, and they all
just said 5.0 in the About Firefox dialog. They even removed the
'channel' information.
Worse, they removed the Help item pointing to release notes. Just HOW
are users supposed to learn about new features, or known issues?

Chris Ilias

Jun 21, 2011, 3:42:38 PM6/21/11
On 11-06-21 1:54 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> I am running Firefox 5. Is it the final version? Is it a beta version, a
> RC? I don't see any way to tell.

If you're even asking that question, you're not on an end-user release
anyway. Firefox 5 is a transitional release, in which the release date
is actually 2 weeks shorter than the interval for Firefox 6, 7, etc.
What that means is that when Firefox 6 is released, users on the beta
channel will get updated to Firefox 7 beta.

Chris Ilias

Jun 21, 2011, 3:43:29 PM6/21/11
On 11-06-20 9:16 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 06/19/11 19:28, WLS wrote:
>
>> browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID 20110615151330
>
> This number also shows up on the title bar of the window occupied by FF.

You most likely have an extension like nightly tester tools, which adds
the build ID to the title bar.

Ron Hunter

Jun 21, 2011, 3:47:02 PM6/21/11
On 6/21/2011 2:43 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 11-06-20 9:16 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 06/19/11 19:28, WLS wrote:
>>
>>> browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID 20110615151330
>>
>> This number also shows up on the title bar of the window occupied by FF.
>
> You most likely have an extension like nightly tester tools, which adds
> the build ID to the title bar.

Yes, it certainly is NOT on my titlebar.n

Dave Symes

Jun 21, 2011, 4:32:12 PM6/21/11
In article <9P2dneq1q96tbp3T...@mozilla.org>,

Aardvark, which I use a lot is incompatible with Fx5, as is the Fx
synchronisation extension for Nokia bookmarks etc. (I have a Nokia
smartphone).

Of course I've never managed to get the Snagit Firefox extension to work
with Fx4 let alone with Fx5... I guess I'll have to give up on that one as
Techsmith didn't seem particularly interested.

There were a couple of others I used, but I've now got to the stage where
if it doesn't work, get rid...

But yes, many of the Addons/extensions do continue to work in Fx5

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

david wells

Jun 21, 2011, 6:59:47 PM6/21/11
Installed this and now find that MacAfee site advisor . Microsoft net frame
work and Real player plug in disabled due to compatibility issue. Does any
one know how long before this is fixed

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110621-0, 06/21/2011
Tested on: 6/21/2011 3:59:48 PM

Ron Hunter

Jun 21, 2011, 7:02:59 PM6/21/11
From everything I know about those plugins, you are MUCH better served
with them NOT working. But the obvious solution is to check with the
vendors of those plugins. The Microsoft NET Framework may already have
an update as I did notice a new version of Microsoft NET installing last
Tuesday. I don't use McAfee, so I can't comment on their upgrade speed.
Real Player is not allowed on my computers because of 'excessive
integration', which is to say it puts it hooks into EVERYTHING.

clarjon1

Jun 21, 2011, 7:04:26 PM6/21/11
to Firefox help community
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 6:59 PM, david wells <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> Installed this and now find that MacAfee site advisor . Microsoft net frame
> work and Real player plug in disabled due to compatibility issue. Does any
> one know how long before this is fixed
>

> You'll have to wait until MacAfee, Microsoft, and Real update their plugins
-- which is completely up to them.

Dave Warren

Jun 21, 2011, 7:10:00 PM6/21/11
In message <n76dnTvJCqJtR53T...@mozilla.org> someone
claiming to be Ron Hunter <rphu...@charter.net> typed:

>I am running Firefox 5. Is it the final version? Is it a beta version,
>a RC? I don't see any way to tell. Troubleshooting information doesn't
>seem to reveal this information either. Should a problem arise, how do
>peer support people know if I am using the final release version, or an
>early beta?

It doesn't matter whether you're running a final release or an early
beta, only the build number matters.

Ron Hunter

Jun 21, 2011, 9:09:15 PM6/21/11

So we have to tell people who don't understand the program to do
about:config and look for an obscure line to see what the build number
is before we know if they have the most recent build, or stopped
downloading updates after the third beta? Oh joy!

WLS

Jun 21, 2011, 9:27:38 PM6/21/11

Ron, write on the blackboard 1000 times

You have to go to Troubleshooting Information > Modified Preferences >
browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID to see what the build number
is before I know if I have the most recent build.

It is a lot easier than messing with about:config, and both ways work.

Choose your preference.

Chris Ilias

Jun 21, 2011, 10:24:53 PM6/21/11

Ron, did you not understand my previous reply?

Good Guy

Jun 21, 2011, 11:23:16 PM6/21/11

WLS wrote:

> Ron, write on the blackboard 1000 times
>
> You have to go to Troubleshooting Information > Modified Preferences >
> browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID to see what the build number
> is before I know if I have the most recent build.
>
> It is a lot easier than messing with about:config, and both ways work.
>
> Choose your preference.

If he wants to continue using keyboard and address bar then this also works:

about:support

Same thing!

Chimak111

Jun 21, 2011, 11:30:45 PM6/21/11
Good Guy wrote:...
> If every month there are 2 or 3 updates then we would start talking
> about Firefox version 106 soon! This is not going to help anybody and
> the product will lose credibility! People will just give up with the
> updates.

I won't lose sleep over that.

Good Guy

Jun 22, 2011, 12:29:34 AM6/22/11

Some of us will who have come to rely on Firefox. Microshit's products
dont't run on my machines so Firefox is my lifeline!

Message has been deleted

Ron Hunter

Jun 22, 2011, 4:19:14 AM6/22/11

My preference would be to have it in Help/about Firefox, at least in the
"Application Basics" section of Troubleshooting Information.

Clunker

Jun 22, 2011, 2:43:58 PM6/22/11
Just uninstall and go back to V4 - that's what I did, at least until the
add-ons work