IE7-Firefox conflict

W. W. O'Bryan

Sep 15, 2007, 11:36:46 AM9/15/07
When I go to Start>Favorites and select a web page I want to open, I get the
error message "Windows cannot find (website). Make sure you typed the name
correctly and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button,
and then click Search." Then the page opens up normally, with the error
message superimposed over the webpage. Microsoft says it's because of a
conflict between Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox. Uninstall Firefox and the
problem does not occur. Is there an easy fix for this? Other than getting
rid of either IE7 or Firefox?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Sep 15, 2007, 1:15:31 PM9/15/07

MS is full of crap. Its a windows setting problem. Close
FF and IE. I don't know what version of windows you have,
so the settings I tell you might not be the same. Look
around for what I'm telling you and you should find what you
need. You need the File Assocation or File Types window.

Click on the windows start button, then settings, then
Folder Options. Click on the File Types tab. What you now
have is the File Associations section. Scroll on down until
you find html document. Open that. In the line that says
"application used . . . " that line should be pointing to
FF, such as [yours will be diffent]:

"C:\Program Files\firefox\firefox.exe" "%1"

Notice the thing at the end the "%1". You must have that.
Thats very important. Then uncheck Use DDE.

you find Internet Shortcut. Repeat as above.

Then scroll on down until you find:
URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy

and do the same as the first one. NOTE: You may have to
reboot when finished.

or Reply to Author. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Message has been deleted

W. W. O'Bryan

Sep 15, 2007, 2:51:28 PM9/15/07
Thanks, Rom, for the referral. I followed the instructions, restarted my
computer, and opened a web page from start>favorites. It worked fine.
Thanks.