Java broken in FF after uninstalling earlier versions

Robert M Jones

Oct 18, 2007, 2:10:07 PM10/18/07
I have just uninstalled Java 6 updates 1 & 2 and it has broken Java in
Firefox.
I have tried uninstalling update 3 and reinstalling it but Java is still
broken - I went to the Sun Java site in Firefox and followed the install
instructions and the Addons box opened and carried out the installation.
It is shown in Control Panel.
In Options the Enable Java tickbox is enabled.
Same problem in Safe Mode.
Java works fine in
Windows XP

Running the Detect Java process on the java.com site shows that I do NOT
have it enabled.
I have followed the various steps on the Java site - being
Enable Java in browser - done
Enable Java in Control Panel Java icon - already enabled for Mozilla Family
Clear browser cache - done automatically every time I close the browser.

I've carried out every check I can but uninstalling the Updates 1 & 2
has broken Java in FF and uninstalling/reinstalling version 6 Update 3
including a reboot, and all the other steps has not fixed it. Any hints
please?
--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

Robert M Jones

Oct 18, 2007, 3:25:58 PM10/18/07
Robert M Jones wrote:
> I have just uninstalled Java 6 updates 1 & 2 and it has broken Java in
> Firefox.
> I have tried uninstalling update 3 and reinstalling it but Java is still
> broken - I went to the Sun Java site in Firefox and followed the install
> instructions and the Addons box opened and carried out the installation.
> It is shown in Control Panel.
> In Options the Enable Java tickbox is enabled.
> Same problem in Safe Mode.
> Java works fine in
> Windows XP
>
> Running the Detect Java process on the java.com site shows that I do NOT
> have it enabled.
> I have followed the various steps on the Java site - being
> Enable Java in browser - done
> Enable Java in Control Panel Java icon - already enabled for Mozilla Family
> Clear browser cache - done automatically every time I close the browser.
>
> I've carried out every check I can but uninstalling the Updates 1 & 2
> has broken Java in FF and uninstalling/reinstalling version 6 Update 3
> including a reboot, and all the other steps has not fixed it. Any hints
> please?

one puzzling thing - in about:plugins it has all " Yes" for the Update 3
version 6, but it also has some entries for one of the earlier ones I
removed SE6 Update 1

Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U1

File name: npjava13.dll
Java Plug-in 1.6.0_01 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1 JavaBeans Yes
Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U1

File name: npjava14.dll
Java Plug-in 1.6.0_01 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.2 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.5 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.5 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.6 Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.6 Yes
Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U1

File name: npjava32.dll
Java Plug-in 1.6.0_01 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1 JavaBeans Yes
Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U1

File name: npoji610.dll
Java Plug-in 1.6.0_01 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-vm Java Yes
Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U1

File name: npjava11.dll
Java Plug-in 1.6.0_01 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean JavaBeans Yes
Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U1

File name: npjava12.dll
Java Plug-in 1.6.0_01 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2 JavaBeans Yes

Here are the Update 3 entries

Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U3

File name: npjava14.dll
Java Plug-in 1.6.0_03 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

[...]

File name: npjpi160_03.dll
Java Plug-in 1.6.0_03 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0_03 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.6.0_03 JavaBeans Yes

And yet the various tests I have tried all say that Java is NOT enabled
and the applets don't load.

David Pyles

Oct 18, 2007, 4:04:11 PM10/18/07
I had similar problems after upgrading to Java Plug-in 1.6.0_03. I
uninstalled all previous versions of Java and deleted their folders,
then reinstalled the new version and the problems went away.

Dave Pyles

Robert M Jones

Oct 18, 2007, 4:22:15 PM10/18/07

Unfortunately it was uninstalling the earlier versions that CAUSED the
problem for me!
(Version 6, Updates 1 & 2) - and I've done all the reinstalling
combinations I can think of, and tried Safe Mode and clean profile, and
registry cleaning and temp file deleting and cache clearing etc etc. - I
even tried the downloadable installer instead of the online one - no
difference.

Chris Ilias

Oct 18, 2007, 4:34:18 PM10/18/07
On 10/18/07 4:22 PM, _Robert M Jones_ spoke thusly:

> Unfortunately it was uninstalling the earlier versions that CAUSED the
> problem for me!
> (Version 6, Updates 1 & 2) - and I've done all the reinstalling
> combinations I can think of, and tried Safe Mode and clean profile, and
> registry cleaning and temp file deleting and cache clearing etc etc. - I
> even tried the downloadable installer instead of the online one - no
> difference.

From looking at <http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Java-related+issues>, it
looks like you may need to reinstall Firefox.
<http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Java-related+issues#Missing_plugin_alert_even_though_Java_is_installed>
--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Robert M Jones

Oct 18, 2007, 5:01:39 PM10/18/07
Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 10/18/07 4:22 PM, _Robert M Jones_ spoke thusly:
>> Unfortunately it was uninstalling the earlier versions that CAUSED the
>> problem for me!
>> (Version 6, Updates 1 & 2) - and I've done all the reinstalling
>> combinations I can think of, and tried Safe Mode and clean profile,
>> and registry cleaning and temp file deleting and cache clearing etc
>> etc. - I even tried the downloadable installer instead of the online
>> one - no difference.
>
> From looking at <http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Java-related+issues>, it
> looks like you may need to reinstall Firefox.
> <http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Java-related+issues#Missing_plugin_alert_even_though_Java_is_installed>

Well - I haven't done that, but I have UNinstalled Version 6 Update 3,
and then reinstalled one after the other, Version 6 updates 1,2, & 3 -
on the basis that it was UNinstalling 2 & 3 that caused the problem.
Everything back to normal.
So it seems that following recommended advice to uninstall older
versions is a bad idea. Doing that with Updates 1 & 2 broke Java in my
system.

I've spent too much time watching uninstalls, reinstalls and reboots
this evening - but if I ever pluck up courage to uninstall the earlier
Version 6 Java Updates again, I'll bear your suggestion in mind and
reinstall Firefox at the same time after doing it. Thanks!

Robert M Jones

Oct 19, 2007, 7:30:38 AM10/19/07
Robert M Jones wrote:
> I have just uninstalled Java 6 updates 1 & 2 and it has broken Java in
> Firefox.
> I have tried uninstalling update 3 and reinstalling it but Java is still
> broken - I went to the Sun Java site in Firefox and followed the install
> instructions and the Addons box opened and carried out the installation.
> It is shown in Control Panel.
> In Options the Enable Java tickbox is enabled.
> Same problem in Safe Mode.
> Java works fine in
> Windows XP
>
> Running the Detect Java process on the java.com site shows that I do NOT
> have it enabled.
> I have followed the various steps on the Java site - being
> Enable Java in browser - done
> Enable Java in Control Panel Java icon - already enabled for Mozilla Family
> Clear browser cache - done automatically every time I close the browser.
>
> I've carried out every check I can but uninstalling the Updates 1 & 2
> has broken Java in FF and uninstalling/reinstalling version 6 Update 3
> including a reboot, and all the other steps has not fixed it. Any hints
> please?

Still happening after a reinstall of 2.0.0.7 and an upgrade to 2.0.0.8,
and an uninstall/reinstall of the Java Version 6 Update 3.
In IE7 the Detect Java test on java.com reports Update 3. In Firefox it
reports Version 6 Update 1. The java.com browser update button puts me
in a continuous loop - I can't get the download started. I've used the
downloadable windows installer to install Update 3 but Firefox just
doesn't know its there and is apparently using (or reporting) version 6
Update 1.

I really have tried everything and am out of ideas. Anyone else?

Robert M Jones

Oct 19, 2007, 8:20:33 AM10/19/07

I have also discovered that the Java Control panel opened from the
systray icon (when running Firefox) gives Version 6 Update 1
information, and the Java Control panel opened by clicking on Windows
Control Panel Java icon, gives Version 6 Update 3 information. This is
obviously the source of the problem but I can't work out how to solve it
as UNinstalling the Updates 1 & 2 simply breaks Java in Firefox.
Anyone know how I can get Firefox to recognise the (may times) installed
Version 6 Update 3 like IE7 manages to? Is there a registry entry I can
alter in the CLSID entries?

kes

Oct 19, 2007, 11:04:59 AM10/19/07
Robert M Jones wrote:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> On 10/18/07 4:22 PM, _Robert M Jones_ spoke thusly:

> I've spent too much time watching uninstalls, reinstalls and reboots
> this evening - but if I ever pluck up courage to uninstall the earlier
> Version 6 Java Updates again, I'll bear your suggestion in mind and
> reinstall Firefox at the same time after doing it. Thanks!

Hi Robert

Thanks for blow-by-blow account. If it is any consolation to you, you
solved my (identical) problem too. (As the joke goes, "it could have
been worse... it could have been *me* doing those install/uninstalls..."
;-)

Robert M Jones

Oct 19, 2007, 11:40:18 AM10/19/07

And as Firefox 2.0.0.8 came out I did that - not a ha'porth of
difference. (or two cents if in the US)

Windows knows I am running Version 6 Update 3, Firefox thinks I am
running Version 6 Update 1.

If anyone knows a way of educating Firefox then I would be very very
grateful. Registry hacks gratefully received.

I've sent feedback to java.com so maybe they will respond.

Alice Wyman

Oct 19, 2007, 4:38:33 PM10/19/07

I just posted the following in your other thread, under "Sun Java and
Firefox":

Remove any java plugin files from your Firefox plugins folder (usually)
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins (npjava*.dll files plus
npjpi160_0x.dll and npoji610.dll) You may have copied the plugins from
JRE 6 Update 1 there in the past. Java will no longer work in Firefox
if the older JRE 6 Update 1 plugins are in the Firefox plugins folder,
if that JRE version is no longer installed.

http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Java#Troubleshooting

Robert M Jones

Oct 19, 2007, 6:23:42 PM10/19/07

Now THAT sounds like it might help. Thanks a bundle. I'll have a look at
that tomorrow. Fed up with it today! Like Arnie - I'll be back!