Freeze when trying to access history

Sharon

Oct 5, 2009, 5:55:36 PM10/5/09
On one of our computers, Firefox 3 freezes when Firefox History in the
title bar is clicked on. Cache has been cleared, etc. Any ideas?

David McRitchie

Oct 5, 2009, 6:48:01 PM10/5/09
"Sharon" ...

> On one of our computers, Firefox 3 freezes when Firefox History in the
> title bar is clicked on. Cache has been cleared, etc. Any ideas?

Clearing History would more likely help than clearing cache. I'm not
sure if a JSON backup is just bookmarks or if it also includes history.

Looks like that could be the problem, clearing history is suggested in
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#Hang_loading_first_Firefox_window

By freeze do you mean slows down, or can't get further.
I'd try safe mode if you have to.
You can change configuration options with Firefox down and
editing the proper files in your profile, but that would be for later.

Tools, Options, Privacy, Use custom settings for history
[x] remember my browsing history for at least 90 days
if that is less than what shows. A zero would probably be forever.
Don't touch the other settings without examining them first.

These both show 90 (default) for me in about:config
browser.history_expire_days_min
places.frecency.fourthBucketCutoff

You could also clear out some of the deadwood, such as
404 Not Found
http://www.google.com/search? -- for google searches
see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Viewing_the_browsing_history_-_Firefox
then click on Selecting_history_items

Sharon

Oct 6, 2009, 1:24:25 PM10/6/09

By freeze I mean can't get further. Once I click on History I can't do
anything else in Firefox. The same thing happens in Safe Mode. The
browser is set to keep browsing history for 7 days.

Sharon

Oct 6, 2009, 2:11:52 PM10/6/09
Sharon wrote:
> On one of our computers, Firefox 3 freezes when Firefox History in the
> title bar is clicked on. Cache has been cleared, etc. Any ideas?

I fixed it! Here is what I did. After backing up the "places.sqlite" and
"places.sqlite-journal" files in the Firefox profile, I deleted those
files. I then restarted the computer and Firefox and now everything is
working okay. Apparently the "places.sqlite" file sometimes gets locked
or damaged and that is where the browsing history is stored.

David McRitchie

Oct 6, 2009, 3:08:30 PM10/6/09
"Sharon" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message news:r9ednbpo5cQNFVbX...@mozilla.org...

Good, thanks for telling us.

It looked like you skipped the part of restoring, but I see that is
automatic from backup when those files are missing. Easier to find the
solution once you've been told the answer.
Locked or damaged places.sqlite - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_damaged_places.sqlite

Do you recall having the other problems listed there as well.

Sharon

Oct 6, 2009, 11:35:54 PM10/6/09

This wasn't my normal computer but when I was checking things out I
didn't notice the other problems listed. However, once I tried to click
on History it seemed to lock everything up so the only option was to
exit the browser.