Accidentally deleted Most Visited from Bookmark toolbar

Mortman

Jun 19, 2008, 8:31:27 PM6/19/08
I think I'm losing it :-(
While trying to become familiar with the new features of FF3, I
accidentally deleted the "Most Visited" icon from the bookmark toolbar.

Is there some way to restore this Smart Bookmark to the toolbar?

John Corliss

Jun 19, 2008, 9:17:34 PM6/19/08

For future reference, Control-Z would have restored it when you did it.

For now though, I just found this on the internet:

Type 'about:config' into the Address Bar
Use this filter 'browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion'
Then set value to '0'. It will be at 1 or more
This will restore all the smart folders to the default after Firefox is
restarted.

--
John Corliss

Mortman

Jun 20, 2008, 12:50:32 PM6/20/08
Thank you for the quick comeback. In about:config, I have the filter
highlighted, but I don't know how to change the value from 1 to 0. I
tried right-clicking and selected New>Integer. A box came up asking for
the new preference name. I entered 0 but nothing changed.

Mortman

Jun 20, 2008, 1:03:54 PM6/20/08

If I perform the steps you outlined, you state that this will restore
all the smart folders to DEFAULT. Will that remove any others that I had
previously added to my bookmarks toolbar?

Message has been deleted

Mortman

Jun 20, 2008, 1:58:06 PM6/20/08
squaredancer wrote:
> On 20.06.2008 18:50, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Mortman to
> generate the following:? :
> double-click the complete line - you then get a box with the current
> value highlighted. Change it to your preference
>
> reg
That did it. Thanx guys.
Message has been deleted

David McRitchie

Jun 20, 2008, 5:33:13 PM6/20/08
"Roland de Ruiter"
> Smart bookmarks are just bookmarks except their location (their URI)
> starts with place: (rather than http:, ftp: or file:). See
> <http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Places_query_URIs>.

Thanks so I think that means that "Places" are really bookmarks
that represent queries against our internal sqlite databases.

Ron Hunter

Jun 20, 2008, 8:36:42 PM6/20/08

Well, places are really bookmarks, typed in URLs, and your browsing
history, all rolled into one.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

John Corliss

Jun 21, 2008, 10:49:18 AM6/21/08

Glad you got it fixed. And I was wondering the same thing to, because I
noticed that those three new history related bookmarks can be deleted.

--
John Corliss

Ron Hunter

Jun 21, 2008, 12:10:52 PM6/21/08
Yes, which I did. They don't belong on my bookmarks toolbar, unless *I*
put them there.
As for getting them back, I don't plan to.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

John Corliss

Jun 21, 2008, 4:05:24 PM6/21/08

I personally think they belong under the History menu, since they're
history items. But as for their functionality, I use the "Most Visited"
and "Recently Bookmarked" ones, not the "Recent Tags". Tags are for
grabasstic (term from http://www.rleeermey.com/) people who can't
organize their stuff IMO.

--
John Corliss

Ron Hunter

Jun 21, 2008, 9:55:00 PM6/21/08
I didn't find them useful. Recently bookmarked is useless to me as I
drag and drop my bookmarks to the appropriate place in my bookmarks
structure when I make them, by using drag and drop on the icon in the
URL bar. The 'most visited' seemed to be not updating, as it had
entries I hadn't visited in almost a month still listed. I deleted
them, and it still didn't seem to be updating, so I deleted the item.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net