Firefox is on its way out

Glenn Gordon

Apr 22, 2009, 2:09:39 PM4/22/09
to support...@lists.mozilla.org
Ever since the Firefox 3.0.8 update, unwanted tabs keep loading whenever I start firefox. They are the tabs of the homepages of everything I download, such as add-ons. I disable all my add-ons, but as asoon as I restored them, the tabs came back, increasing each time?

This is the third time I've submitted this question to all available so-called sources of help on FF, and still no answer. Even ChatZilla is pointless, as they neglected to add a "Submit" button after wasting time typing out your question. Their so-called "chat support" is never open. Sod Firefox. I'm going back to IE.

The Real Bev

Apr 22, 2009, 2:17:25 PM4/22/09

Glenn Gordon wrote:

> Ever since the Firefox 3.0.8 update, unwanted tabs keep loading whenever I start firefox. They are the tabs of the homepages of everything I download, such as add-ons. I disable all my add-ons, but as asoon as I restored them, the tabs came back, increasing each time?
>
> This is the third time I've submitted this question to all available so-called sources of help on FF, and still no answer. Even ChatZilla is pointless, as they neglected to add a "Submit" button after wasting time typing out your question. Their so-called "chat support" is never open. Sod Firefox. I'm going back to IE.

1. Did you NOT close the tabs before you closed FF?
2. Do you have the session manager set to automatically reload your previous
session?

Some add-ons throw up some sort of ack or homepage the first time you restart
FF after enabling them, which I regard as a nuisance, but they've never
appeared more than once per install/update.

Core dump complete!

--
Cheers, Bev
Far away in a strange land

Old Gringo

Apr 22, 2009, 2:48:25 PM4/22/09
In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
Cents To The Glenn Gordon Post:

> Ever since the Firefox 3.0.8 update, unwanted tabs keep loading whenever I start firefox. They are the tabs of the homepages of everything I download, such as add-ons. I disable all my add-ons, but as asoon as I restored them, the tabs came back, increasing each time?
>
> This is the third time I've submitted this question to all available so-called sources of help on FF, and still no answer. Even ChatZilla is pointless, as they neglected to add a "Submit" button after wasting time typing out your question. Their so-called "chat support" is never open. Sod Firefox. I'm going back to IE.

Not sure but here goes. Close all tabs, restart Firefox. when it opens
go to the homepage of your choice. Then go to Tools, Options, Main, and
select from the drop down, show my home page. then below select use
current page. Restart Firefox and report back here. <g>
Good Luck

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

Sjouke Burry

Apr 22, 2009, 3:16:53 PM4/22/09
Glenn Gordon wrote:
> Ever since the Firefox 3.0.8 update, unwanted tabs keep loading whenever I start firefox. They are the tabs of the homepages of everything I download, such as add-ons. I disable all my add-ons, but as asoon as I restored them, the tabs came back, increasing each time?
>
> This is the third time I've submitted this question to all available so-called sources of help on FF, and still no answer. Even ChatZilla is pointless, as they neglected to add a "Submit" button after wasting time typing out your question. Their so-called "chat support" is never open. Sod Firefox. I'm going back to IE.

Dont let the door slam your behind when you leave.

Ron Hunter

Apr 22, 2009, 3:51:34 PM4/22/09
Glenn Gordon wrote:
> Ever since the Firefox 3.0.8 update, unwanted tabs keep loading whenever I start firefox. They are the tabs of the homepages of everything I download, such as add-ons. I disable all my add-ons, but as asoon as I restored them, the tabs came back, increasing each time?
>
> This is the third time I've submitted this question to all available so-called sources of help on FF, and still no answer. Even ChatZilla is pointless, as they neglected to add a "Submit" button after wasting time typing out your question. Their so-called "chat support" is never open. Sod Firefox. I'm going back to IE.

Glenn,
You haven't asked here, which is THE place for help on Firefox. It
seems plain that you have a troublesome extension. Go to Start/All
programs/Mozilla/firefox safe mode, and see if the problem happens
without the extensions. If it is gone, then reload normally, disable
half of the extensions, and try again. If you repeat this process, you
will quickly find a troublesome extension, or you will discover than
your profile needs to be rebuilt. Sometimes the profile becomes
corrupt, and needs to be replaced. But try the extension testing first,
and if that doesn't work, return here, and tell us what happened.

Glenn Gordon

Apr 22, 2009, 4:59:06 PM4/22/09
to Firefox user help
Hi Ron

I haven't asked "where?" That's exactly my point about Firefox. They don't give you any indication of exactly where the right place is to ask. Instead, they fob everyone off by giving them the run around all over the place.

Kind Regards,
Glenn

Apr 22, 2009, 5:21:34 PM4/22/09

Please bottom post or intesperse in these newsgroups/mailing lists thank
you.

Help is easy to find. First go to the home page
If you typed in www.firefox.com, the Google search comes back with a
link to the Firefox page
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html

once there Need Help? with a link Visit Firefox Support

which leads you to
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/

If you can't get an answer on the Knowledge Base search or the Support
Forum search, there is an entry called
Other Firefox Support
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support
which lists the Mozilla Community
http://www.mozilla.org/community/
clicking on the mailing list newsgroup link
http://www.mozilla.org/community/developer-forums.html#general

There we are, mozilla.support.firefoxf

there are also other avenues of support if you wish as well.

Don

Apr 22, 2009, 5:53:55 PM4/22/09

But how does he find the newsgroups? I've had a
similar problem and it's only luck that I remembered
where to look.

David McRitchie

Apr 22, 2009, 5:57:01 PM4/22/09
"Glenn Gordon"
> Hi Ron
> I haven't asked "where?" That's exactly my point about Firefox. They don't give
you any indication of exactly where the right place is to ask. Instead, they fob
everyone off by giving them the run around all over the place.

If you point to where you started, someone can probably point to the wording
which is supposed to tell you where to post, or not to expect any answers.
I don't know anything about the chat part, never use it.

BTW, you subscribed via a list server (could mean lots of email next major
update of Firefox), suggest you unsubscribe, and then subscribe to the newsgroup
through the mozilla newsserver.
Specific unsubscribe directions are in your email headers.
http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/01/instructions-for-new-newsgroup-server/

goodwin

Apr 22, 2009, 6:22:22 PM4/22/09
On 04/22/2009 02:53 PM Don scribbled:

> But how does he find the newsgroups? I've had a
> similar problem and it's only luck that I remembered
> where to look.

maybe
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support

middle of the page?

you can lead a man to newsgroups but you can't make him think

Pete Holsberg

Apr 22, 2009, 6:37:18 PM4/22/09
to Firefox user help
Don has written on 4/22/2009 5:53 PM:

> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>
>> Visit Firefox Support
>>
>> which leads you to
>> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/
>>
>> If you can't get an answer on the Knowledge Base search or the Support
>> Forum search, there is an entry called
>> Other Firefox Support
>> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support
>> which lists the Mozilla Community
>> http://www.mozilla.org/community/
>> clicking on the mailing list newsgroup link
>> http://www.mozilla.org/community/developer-forums.html#general
>>
>> There we are, mozilla.support.firefoxf
>>
>> there are also other avenues of support if you wish as well.
>>

> But how does he find the newsgroups? I've had a
> similar problem and it's only luck that I remembered
> where to look.

At the top of the page referenced by the last link, it says,

"At mozilla.org, we host public mailing lists and newsgroups to foster
open communication"

And then it lists them all.

Don

Apr 22, 2009, 6:39:14 PM4/22/09
Gee, that Chris is something else, eh. But saying
that reminds me of an old saying
my gpa used to say, "I buy you books and buy you books
and all you do is eat the pages".
:-P

Don

Apr 22, 2009, 6:41:29 PM4/22/09

I /think/ it's hard to remember one out of 3,335,876
links on the I'Net. ;-)

Moz Champion (Dan)

Apr 22, 2009, 6:53:14 PM4/22/09

If he would have asked his question on the mailing list, we could have
instructed him on how to find the newsgroup

Ron Hunter

Apr 22, 2009, 7:08:41 PM4/22/09
No runaround. This group has been here for years.
So, if you really want help, here it is. If not. Then enjoy IE.

Keith Nuttle

Apr 22, 2009, 7:16:39 PM4/22/09

One way to get help for Firefox is the same as most Windows programs.
From Firefox click HELP --> HELP CONTENTS

This brings up this web page with multiple ways to get help,
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+Help?style_mode=inproduct

# Knowledge Base
# Support Forum
# Ask a Question
# Other Firefox Support

In addition there are tutorials for novice intermediate and advanced
users of Firefox

Leonidas Jones

Apr 22, 2009, 7:17:27 PM4/22/09
Glenn Gordon wrote:
> Ever since the Firefox 3.0.8 update, unwanted tabs keep loading whenever I start firefox. They are the tabs of the homepages of everything I download, such as add-ons. I disable all my add-ons, but as asoon as I restored them, the tabs came back, increasing each time?
>
> This is the third time I've submitted this question to all available so-called sources of help on FF, and still no answer. Even ChatZilla is pointless, as they neglected to add a "Submit" button after wasting time typing out your question. Their so-called "chat support" is never open. Sod Firefox. I'm going back to IE.

In Chatzilla, did you try simply hitting the Enter (return) key?

Lee

Timothy Wild

Apr 22, 2009, 8:28:56 PM4/22/09
Glenn Gordon wrote:
> Ever since the Firefox 3.0.8 update, unwanted tabs keep loading whenever I start firefox. They are the tabs of the homepages of everything I download, such as add-ons. I disable all my add-ons, but as asoon as I restored them, the tabs came back, increasing each time?
>
> This is the third time I've submitted this question to all available so-called sources of help on FF, and still no answer. Even ChatZilla is pointless, as they neglected to add a "Submit" button after wasting time typing out your question. Their so-called "chat support" is never open. Sod Firefox. I'm going back to IE.

Bye bye

Timothy Wild

Apr 22, 2009, 8:31:31 PM4/22/09
Glenn Gordon wrote:
> Ever since the Firefox 3.0.8 update, unwanted tabs keep loading whenever I start firefox. They are the tabs of the homepages of everything I download, such as add-ons. I disable all my add-ons, but as asoon as I restored them, the tabs came back, increasing each time?
>
> This is the third time I've submitted this question to all available so-called sources of help on FF, and still no answer. Even ChatZilla is pointless, as they neglected to add a "Submit" button after wasting time typing out your question. Their so-called "chat support" is never open. Sod Firefox. I'm going back to IE.

Have you tried IE support lately...

The Real Bev

Apr 22, 2009, 8:36:33 PM4/22/09
Don wrote:

"He had no conception of the cello. He was BLOWING into it."

The Real Bev

Apr 22, 2009, 8:37:47 PM4/22/09
Don wrote:

That's why Google is rich!

»Q«

Apr 22, 2009, 9:29:05 PM4/22/09
In <news:P-idndUOv4yEAHLU...@mozilla.org>,
Don <donni...@roadrunner.com> wrote:

Searching finds it pretty quickly. ;)

<http://lmgtfy.com/?q=firefox+support+newsgroup>

But in this case, I don't think it matters. Ron posted some help, but
only got a response saying that no one is willing to help.

--
»Q«
Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.

Old Gringo

Apr 22, 2009, 11:01:34 PM4/22/09
In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
Cents To The goodwin Post:
I kind of like the one by Mark Twain "Even a fool can appear to be
intelligent if he keeps his mouth shut"

goodwin

Apr 22, 2009, 11:42:30 PM4/22/09
On 04/22/2009 03:41 PM Don scribbled:

well, yeah, but that wasn't from google - it was from the firefox home
web page - which is the 1st place I go to look for support.

This doesn't strike me as a new trick so you old dogs should be able to
pick it up, eh?

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 23, 2009, 12:05:52 AM4/23/09
Glenn Gordon wrote:
Hi Ron

I haven't asked "where?" That's exactly my point about Firefox. They don't give you any indication of exactly where the right place is to ask. Instead, they fob everyone off by giving them the run around all over the place
Where do you ask for questions about MS's TaskMgr? How about IE? CMD? Explorer. How is this any different?
--
Andrew DeFaria
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Torsten Villnow

Apr 23, 2009, 4:43:16 AM4/23/09
Am 23.04.2009 01:08, schrieb Ron Hunter:
> No runaround. This group has been here for years.

This may be the case, however ... I consider myself the opposite of a
computer/internet illiterate, but also found only just recently this
mozilla related usenet server. Until then I had the impression, that all
mozilla discussion/support is available through the "usual" usenet
groups only.

--
Torsten Villnow

Pete Holsberg

Apr 23, 2009, 3:34:38 PM4/23/09
to Firefox user help
Torsten Villnow has written on 4/23/2009 4:43 AM:
Did you ever try googling for
firefox help
???

Glenn Gordon

Apr 23, 2009, 3:42:38 PM4/23/09
to Firefox user help
You shouldn't have to "Google" for help. The very fact that you suggest it, just proves my point exactly. Of course its the run around, just so that Firefox can avoid direct contact with its customers, hence the many (false) help options. Even their so-called "chat" support is non-existent, as its never open.

This is what i call the "Microsoft Syndrome". When corporations get too big for their own good and make enough money, they can afford to tell their customers to fuck off, as they no longer give a shit for the customer.

Glenn Gordon has written on 4/23/2009 3:42 PM:

> You shouldn't have to "Google" for help. The very fact that you suggest it, just proves my point exactly. Of course its the run around, just so that Firefox can avoid direct contact with its customers, hence the many (false) help options. Even their so-called "chat" support is non-existent, as its never open.
>
> This is what i call the "Microsoft Syndrome". When corporations get too big for their own good and make enough money, they can afford to tell their customers to fuck off, as they no longer give a shit for the customer.

The last time I looked, Mozilla was not deriving any income from the
sale of Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.

"The Mozilla Foundation is a non-profit organization that sponsors the
Mozilla project and devotes its resources to promoting openness,
innovation and opportunity on the Internet. We do this by supporting the
community of Mozilla contributors and by assisting others who are
building technologies that benefit users around the world."

So Mozilla is not a huge profit-making corp with vast resources and does
not fit your description at all. You cannot expect to get extensive free
support along with free software.

-------

I find that people how say "You shouldn't have to...." are living in an
impractical (i.e., "dream") world. You do what needs to be done and
forget "should". You'll be much happier.

My two cents.

Chris Ilias

Apr 23, 2009, 4:57:31 PM4/23/09
On 23/04/09 3:42 PM, Glenn Gordon wrote:
> You shouldn't have to "Google" for help. The very fact that you suggest it, just proves my point exactly. Of course its the run around, just so that Firefox can avoid direct contact with its customers, hence the many (false) help options. Even their so-called "chat" support is non-existent, as its never open.
>
> This is what i call the "Microsoft Syndrome". When corporations get too big for their own good and make enough money, they can afford to tell their customers to **** off, as they no longer give a **** for the customer.

Glenn, please watch your language in here.

*All* support options are community powered. That means *everyone*
helps: users and developers, employees and volunteers. That's
intentional. That's how Firefox is built, and that's how Firefox Support
works.

Instead of taking out your frustration on innocent people, and replying
to those who try to give you unhelpful smart-ass answers, let's try to
be constructive and help each other. I am sorry that no-one answered you
in the web-forum, but it appears that some people did attempt to help
you here. Did their advice help you?

If you're asking for a definitive place to go when you need help, that
would be http://support.mozilla.com , which is where you are taken to if
you click on the "Help Contents" item in the |Help| menu (i.e. press
<F1>), or go to the Mozilla website and choose the "Support" option.
From there you are directed to:
1. Search the knowledge base.
2. If you cannot find your answer in the knowledge base you are directed
to <http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Ask+a+question>, which lists:
** The web-forum <http://support.mozilla.com/forum>
** as well as live chat. The live chat hours are listed at
<http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Live+Chat>, and if it is not open the
web-forum always is.
** Other options are there for those who prefer different venue types
(newsgroup, mailing list, IRC, etc.).

If there's any part of that process you didn't understand, please tell
us which part, so we can address it to improve user support for all
Firefox users. For an extended explanation of the "Support funnel", see
<http://blog.mozilla.com/sumo/2008/09/02/the-vision-for-sumo-2/>.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Keeper of the Knowledge Base: <https://support.mozilla.com/kb/>

Message has been deleted

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Apr 23, 2009, 6:04:19 PM4/23/09
Pete Holsberg wrote:

> The last time I looked, Mozilla was not deriving any income from the
> sale of Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.
>
> "The Mozilla Foundation is a non-profit organization that sponsors the
> Mozilla project and devotes its resources to promoting openness,
> innovation and opportunity on the Internet. We do this by supporting the
> community of Mozilla contributors and by assisting others who are
> building technologies that benefit users around the world."
>
> So Mozilla is not a huge profit-making corp with vast resources and does
> not fit your description at all. You cannot expect to get extensive free
> support along with free software.

the Mozilla Foundation might not make any money, but
the Mozilla Corporation does. It makes 10s of millions
of dollars off the proceeds of Firefox. Firefox is a
huge cash-cow for them. This is why Mozilla has sort of
dropped Thunderbird, cause it can't make money.

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Pete Holsberg

Apr 23, 2009, 6:45:43 PM4/23/09
to Firefox user help
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo has written on 4/23/2009 6:04 PM:

> Pete Holsberg wrote:
>

>> The last time I looked, Mozilla was not deriving any income from the
>> sale of Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.
>>
>> "The Mozilla Foundation is a non-profit organization that sponsors the
>> Mozilla project and devotes its resources to promoting openness,
>> innovation and opportunity on the Internet. We do this by supporting the
>> community of Mozilla contributors and by assisting others who are
>> building technologies that benefit users around the world."
>>
>> So Mozilla is not a huge profit-making corp with vast resources and does
>> not fit your description at all. You cannot expect to get extensive free
>> support along with free software.
>>

> the Mozilla Foundation might not make any money, but
> the Mozilla Corporation does. It makes 10s of millions
> of dollars off the proceeds of Firefox. Firefox is a
> huge cash-cow for them. This is why Mozilla has sort of
> dropped Thunderbird, cause it can't make money

How do they make money? I didn't pay anything for FF.

Moz Champion (Dan)

Apr 23, 2009, 7:00:53 PM4/23/09

Terry R.

Apr 23, 2009, 7:09:54 PM4/23/09
The date and time was Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:57:31 PM, and on a
whim, Chris Ilias pounded out on the keyboard:

> On 23/04/09 3:42 PM, Glenn Gordon wrote:
>> You shouldn't have to "Google" for help. The very fact that you suggest it, just proves my point exactly. Of course its the run around, just so that Firefox can avoid direct contact with its customers, hence the many (false) help options. Even their so-called "chat" support is non-existent, as its never open.
>>
>> This is what i call the "Microsoft Syndrome". When corporations get too big for their own good and make enough money, they can afford to tell their customers to **** off, as they no longer give a **** for the customer.
>
> Glenn, please watch your language in here.

Watch his language? Where did he use language that needs to be watched?
You mean like Andrew uses without the asterisks?

follow up set to mozilla.general

Terry R.

Pete Holsberg

Apr 23, 2009, 7:55:44 PM4/23/09
to Firefox user help
Moz Champion (Dan) has written on 4/23/2009 7:00 PM:

> Pete Holsberg wrote:
>
> How do they make money? I didn't pay anything for FF.
>
> -------------------------

Google pays Mozilla Corp for having Google as its default browser? What
other firms contribute to MC income and how?

Old Gringo

Apr 23, 2009, 8:05:27 PM4/23/09
In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
Cents To The Terry R. Post:

> The date and time was Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:57:31 PM, and on a
> whim, Chris Ilias pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> On 23/04/09 3:42 PM, Glenn Gordon wrote:
>>> You shouldn't have to "Google" for help. The very fact that you
>>> suggest it, just proves my point exactly. Of course its the run
>>> around, just so that Firefox can avoid direct contact with its
>>> customers, hence the many (false) help options. Even their so-called
>>> "chat" support is non-existent, as its never open.
>>>
>>> This is what i call the "Microsoft Syndrome". When corporations get
>>> too big for their own good and make enough money, they can afford to
>>> tell their customers to **** off, as they no longer give a **** for
>>> the customer.
>>
>> Glenn, please watch your language in here.
>>

> Watch his language? Where did he use language that needs to be
> watched? You mean like Andrew uses without the asterisks?
>
> follow up set to mozilla.general
>

> Terry R.
I see Chris has a sense of humor <g>

Ron Hunter

Apr 23, 2009, 8:15:06 PM4/23/09
Bye glenn. It is obvious you only want to vent. But I don't have to
see your posts. You don't want help, only to criticize unfairly.

Ron Hunter

Apr 23, 2009, 8:18:55 PM4/23/09
Something is wrong with that statement. Google has their OWN browser,
so what 'default browser' do you mean? Firefox may get something for
making Google its default search site.

Terry R.

Apr 23, 2009, 8:47:51 PM4/23/09
The date and time was Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:57:31 PM, and on a
whim, Chris Ilias pounded out on the keyboard:

> On 23/04/09 3:42 PM, Glenn Gordon wrote:

>> You shouldn't have to "Google" for help. The very fact that you suggest it, just proves my point exactly. Of course its the run around, just so that Firefox can avoid direct contact with its customers, hence the many (false) help options. Even their so-called "chat" support is non-existent, as its never open.
>>
>> This is what i call the "Microsoft Syndrome". When corporations get too big for their own good and make enough money, they can afford to tell their customers to **** off, as they no longer give a **** for the customer.
>
> Glenn, please watch your language in here.

My apologies Chris. I see it was you who changed the words to asterisks
after seeing Ron reply.

Moz Champion (Dan)

Apr 23, 2009, 8:48:27 PM4/23/09

No, google pays Mozilla for every search inquiry it gets via Firefox.
The agreement stipulates that Google is the default in the release
versions of Mozilla (tho of course users can change this if they wish)
In short, it works out to about $1.20 for every Firefox user out there
(50 million users, $62 million 'search' fees)

Other firms pay Mozilla and adapt the software to their own needs.
There are also donations and sales from the Mozilla store

This is only pure speculation, as I have no idea of what the agreement
is based on, but I would guesstimate that Mozilla gets 1 cent for every
100,000 clicks using the Google search engine. That would mean that for
the above income, Firefox users generated some 62 billion Google searches.

Moz Champion (Dan)

Apr 23, 2009, 8:50:09 PM4/23/09

Pete misinterpreted the links

Mozilla gets income from Google searches launched by Firefox. Google is
the default search engine in Firefox, users of course can change it if
they want.

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2009, 3:20:23 AM4/24/09
Terry R. wrote:
Watch his language?  Where did he use language that needs to be watched?  You mean like Andrew uses without the asterisks?
I'll give ya an asterisk! It's amazing how some so called adults are fearful of certain combinations of letters. Words are words. There are no bad words - only bad intent. People can express bad intent with "good" words and good intend with "bad" words. Grow the asterisk up already! Geeze.

follow up set to mozilla.general
Follow up set right back here. You can go to mozilla.general if you like...
--
Andrew DeFaria
Everyone has the right to be stupid, but your abusing the privilege.

Torsten Villnow

Apr 24, 2009, 3:47:00 AM4/24/09
Am 23.04.2009 21:34, schrieb Pete Holsberg:
> Did you ever try googling for
> firefox help

No, because I have had no major problems where I needed to obtain help.
But as I was generally interested in Firefox & Thunderbird related
discussion, I looked up for available forums in the "normal" usenet.

--
Torsten Villnow

user

Apr 24, 2009, 8:50:59 AM4/24/09
On 24.04.2009 02:20, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

>> Watch his language? Where did he use language that needs to be watched? You
>> mean like Andrew uses without the asterisks?
> I'll give ya an asterisk! It's amazing how some so called adults are fearful of
> certain combinations of letters. Words are words. There are no bad words - only
> bad intent. People can express bad intent with "good" words and good intend with
> "bad" words. Grow the asterisk up already! Geeze.
>> follow up set to mozilla.general
> Follow up set right back here. You can go to mozilla.general if you like...
> --

> Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>

> Everyone has the right to be stupid, but your abusing the privilege.

The one thing you seem to fail to understand is that we're playing to a
potential world-wide audience consisting of a wide variety of cultures,
beliefs and communication standards, etc. Rather than subject this
audience to your interpretation of communcation standards, try thinking
of the "other guy" for a change.

Also, try following the guidelines as well -> followup set to .general

/xo

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2009, 10:22:25 AM4/24/09
user wrote:
[...]

How does that this is a world-wide audience change my statement at all? Answer is: It doesn't. It's irrelevant. Words are still words - intent is what's important. In the end everybody subjects the audience to their personal interpretation of a communication standard, just as you just did. The "other guy" should already be grown up and mature and able to handle mature things.

Also, try following the guidelines as well -> followup set to .general
Not required. That's why they're called guidelines not requirements. I don't read .general. To make a parting crack here and duck into another room, to me, smacks of childishness.

I'm done on this topic - unless you wish to continue to say things about me...
--
Andrew DeFaria
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Terry R.

Apr 24, 2009, 10:41:16 AM4/24/09
The date and time was Friday, April 24, 2009 12:20:23 AM, and on a whim,
Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> Watch his language? Where did he use language that needs to be
>> watched? You mean like Andrew uses without the asterisks?
> I'll give ya an asterisk! It's amazing how some so called adults are
> fearful of certain combinations of letters. Words are words. There are
> no bad words - only bad intent. People can express bad intent with
> "good" words and good intend with "bad" words. Grow the asterisk up
> already! Geeze.
>> follow up set to mozilla.general
> Follow up set right back here. You can go to mozilla.general if you like...
> --

> Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>

> Everyone has the right to be stupid, but your abusing the privilege.

Care to give the asterisk to my face rather than piping up in a
newsgroup acting like such a big man?

follow up set to mozilla.general

where it should have been set before.

Pete Holsberg

Apr 24, 2009, 11:19:19 AM4/24/09
to Firefox user help
Torsten Villnow has written on 4/24/2009 3:47 AM:

After using the "normal" Usenet for maybe 20 years, I gave up on it,

Pete Holsberg

Apr 24, 2009, 11:17:39 AM4/24/09
to Firefox user help
Ron Hunter has written on 4/23/2009 8:18 PM:

You're right! Brain fade!!!

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2009, 11:47:26 AM4/24/09
Terry R. wrote:
Care to give the asterisk to my face rather than piping up in a newsgroup acting like such a big man?
So you feel the need to resort to violence. And you claim I'm the uncivilized one! It could be arranged... Meantime you'll have to suffice with the following ******* **** ** ** *************.
follow up set to mozilla.general where it should have been set before.
Actually in your rage you messed up and forgot set the follow up... You're mistake!
--
Andrew DeFaria
Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs.

The Real Bev

Apr 24, 2009, 12:26:40 PM4/24/09
Pete Holsberg wrote:

Wuss! Private maillists are fine, but there's still no substitute for usenet
even though it's filled with loons and Chinese spammers.

--
Cheers, Bev
Q: How many lawyers does it take to grease a combine?

user

Apr 24, 2009, 4:39:41 PM4/24/09

> How does that this is a world-wide audience change my statement at all? Answer
> is: It doesn't. It's irrelevant. Words are still words - intent is what's
> important. In the end everybody subjects the audience to their personal
> interpretation of a communication standard, just as you just did. The "other
> guy" should already be grown up and mature and able to handle mature things.

You assume that everyone is in a position to handle your vulgarity and
that "may" not be the case. You seem to be convinced that everyone is
"grown up", maybe not so, what about the children? " .. just as you just
did ..". Uhhh, no, I didn't lace my reply with vulgarity, that's the
difference. I don't find it necessary to do so. If we're discussing
things over a table in a bar room for instance then that's quite different.

>> Also, try following the guidelines as well -> followup set to .general
> Not required. That's why they're called guidelines not requirements. I don't
> read .general. To make a parting crack here and duck into another room, to me,
> smacks of childishness.
>
> I'm done on this topic - unless you wish to continue to say things about me...

Correct, it's not "required", it's just a guideline for those that have
the courtesy to follow it which apparently you don't Mr Self-Centered.

/xo

Terry R.

Apr 24, 2009, 6:01:30 PM4/24/09
The date and time was Friday, April 24, 2009 8:47:26 AM, and on a whim,
Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:

>> Care to give the asterisk to my face rather than piping up in a
>> newsgroup acting like such a big man?
> So you feel the need to resort to violence. And you claim I'm the
> uncivilized one! It could be arranged... Meantime you'll have to suffice
> with the following ******* **** ** ** *************.
>> follow up set to mozilla.general where it should have been set before.
> Actually in your rage you messed up and forgot set the follow up...
> You're mistake!

If people want to spout off their mouth, then let them do it face to
face, not hiding behind a keyboard. Your foul words are passive
aggressive, so I want to make sure the little man behind the words can
back them up, that's all. If not, shut up, or email me.

Where did you go to school? What is "You're mistake"?

follow up set to mozilla.general

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2009, 9:13:48 PM4/24/09
user wrote:
You assume that everyone is in a position to handle your vulgarity and that "may" not be the case.
I ask you, when somebody can't "handle" the vulgarity, which, BTW I did not utter in this thread - somebody else did if you bothered to pay attention - how exactly does that look? Do they freeze at the terminal? Are they blinded by the word(s)? Do they have to see a shrink right away? I highly doubt it and I challenge you to define and demonstrate that anybody was not able to "handle" somebody else's vulgarity.

You seem to be convinced that everyone is "grown up", maybe not so, what about the children?
"Oh what about the children!" Spare me! First off most "kids" have a more vulgar vocabulary under their belts than most adults are willing to admit. Secondly, I say, they aren't here reading this forum. Thirdly I say - this is the real world - get used to it!

" .. just as you just did ..". Uhhh, no, I didn't lace my reply with vulgarity, that's the difference.
I didn't say that. You miscomprehended. I said you just did subject the audience to your personal interpretation of a communication standard. And again, I didn't write vulgarity here - somebody else did. But you didn't bother to pay attention.

I don't find it necessary to do so. If we're discussing things over a table in a bar room for instance then that's quite different.
And quite irrelevant...

Also, try following the guidelines as well -> followup set to .general
Not required. That's why they're called guidelines not requirements. I don't
read .general. To make a parting crack here and duck into another room, to me,
smacks of childishness.

I'm done on this topic - unless you wish to continue to say things about me...

Correct, it's not "required", it's just a guideline for those that have the courtesy to follow it which apparently you don't Mr Self-Centered.
OK, Mr "Hide behind anonymity". Again, I don't do mozilla.general. If you wish to go away and hide then go away and hide and stop taking the cowardly tack of hitting and running.

Moderator... Time to delete this post too...
--
Andrew DeFaria
Deja Goo: The feeling that you've stepped in this before.

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2009, 9:30:29 PM4/24/09
Terry R. wrote:
The date and time was Friday, April 24, 2009 8:47:26 AM, and on a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the keyboard:

Terry R. wrote:
Care to give the asterisk to my face rather than piping up in a newsgroup acting like such a big man?
So you feel the need to resort to violence. And you claim I'm the uncivilized one! It could be arranged... Meantime you'll have to suffice with the following ******* **** ** ** *************.
follow up set to mozilla.general where it should have been set before.
Actually in your rage you messed up and forgot set the follow up... You're mistake!
If people want to spout off their mouth, then let them do it face to face, not hiding behind a keyboard.
I don't hide behind my keyboard. "user"does.

Your foul words are passive aggressive,
I didn't spout off - somebody else did. I just agreed that the should be able to use all words in the language. Apparently that bothers you enough to misidentify me as the person with "foul words". Your mistake again! (You just keep making 'em don't cha).

so I want to make sure the little man behind the words can back them up, that's all.
I'm not sure I know what you mean by back them up. What exactly am I to "back up"? That I said that some adults are fearful of certain combinations of letters? How does one go about backing that up? Or that I said I'd give you an asterisk? How does one "back that up"? I already gave you quite a few asterisks. How many do you really need? Honestly I believe you have me confused with somebody else. However it's clear to me and any other rational people here that you are a violent individual who reacts violently to your own mistaken attributions at the drop of a hat. Not good character traits.

To refresh your memory, though the moderator here is busy covering up evidence, TB stores my sent messages, where what I said, verbatim:

I'll give ya an asterisk! It's amazing how some so called adults are fearful of certain combinations of letters. Words are words. There are no bad words - only bad intent. People can express bad intent with "good" words and good intend with "bad" words. Grow the asterisk up already! Geeze.
Kindly point out the foul words in the above... Or be a real man and admit that you were wrong about that (not holding my breath).

If not, shut up, or email me.
I will never shut up sir and you lack any power to stop me. I don't care what you say. And I have really no interest in emailing you. It's you who ruffling feathers and peacocking here...

Where did you go to school?  What is "You're mistake"?
It's called a mistake. My mistake in this case. Your mistake in the last case. At least "you're" and "your" sound the same which would, to reasonable people - of which apparently you're not a member of that class - would understand the mistake. You see I admit to my mistakes - you hide from yours (as you didn't even admit to the mistake). However you need to pick silly nits because your ego is bruised. Bummer!

follow up set to mozilla.general
Another, take a parting shot and cut and run kinda guy.
--
Andrew DeFaria
Old dog still learning - please don't shoot yet

Chris Ilias

Apr 25, 2009, 2:02:41 AM4/25/09
The personal attacks in this thread have been removed, as per
<http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html>.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Keeper of the Knowledge Base: <https://support.mozilla.com/kb/>

Herb

Apr 25, 2009, 4:07:50 AM4/25/09
On 23.04.2009 23:04 UK Time, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Pete Holsberg wrote:
>
>> The last time I looked, Mozilla was not deriving any income from the
>> sale of Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.
>>
>> "The Mozilla Foundation is a non-profit organization that sponsors the
>> Mozilla project and devotes its resources to promoting openness,
>> innovation and opportunity on the Internet. We do this by supporting
>> the community of Mozilla contributors and by assisting others who are
>> building technologies that benefit users around the world."
>>
>> So Mozilla is not a huge profit-making corp with vast resources and
>> does not fit your description at all. You cannot expect to get
>> extensive free support along with free software.
>
> the Mozilla Foundation might not make any money, but the Mozilla
> Corporation does. It makes 10s of millions of dollars off the proceeds
> of Firefox. Firefox is a huge cash-cow for them. This is why Mozilla
> has sort of dropped Thunderbird, cause it can't make money.

Are you saying Thunderbird is on its way out?

That would be very sad indeed :'(

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Martin Edwards

Apr 25, 2009, 10:41:34 AM4/25/09
The Real Bev wrote:
> Pete Holsberg wrote:
>
>> Torsten Villnow has written on 4/24/2009 3:47 AM:

>>> No, because I have had no major problems where I needed to obtain
>>> help. But as I was generally interested in Firefox & Thunderbird
>>> related discussion, I looked up for available forums in the "normal"
>>> usenet.
>>
>> After using the "normal" Usenet for maybe 20 years, I gave up on it,
>
> Wuss! Private maillists are fine, but there's still no substitute for
> usenet
> even though it's filled with loons and Chinese spammers.

Have you tried "Blue Moon" Chinese luncheon meat?

Chris Ilias

Apr 25, 2009, 12:29:54 PM4/25/09

[replies to this post are set to go to mozilla.general]

He is unfortunately presenting his opinion as if it were fact. It is not
fact. Thunderbird was given its own management company called Mozilla
Messaging; and Thunderbird 3 is planned to be released later this year.
See <http://www.mozillamessaging.com/>.

Pete Holsberg

Apr 25, 2009, 2:27:45 PM4/25/09
to Firefox user help
Moz Champion (Dan) has written on 4/22/2009 5:21 PM:
> Glenn Gordon wrote:
>
>> Hi Ron
>>
>> I haven't asked "where?" That's exactly my point about Firefox. They don't give you any indication of exactly where the right place is to ask. Instead, they fob everyone off by giving them the run around all over the place.
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>> Glenn

<snip>

What Glenn refuses to see is that help is available by pressing F1 --
just like every other Windows program!!

That takes you to the Mozilla "Ff Support" website at which there are
myriad suggestions, including a google-like search thingy for the
Mozilla Knowledgebase.

I frankly fail to give his "point" any credence. I wish you would just
cut him off the list/NG!!

Dan

Apr 25, 2009, 8:16:50 PM4/25/09
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support

These are the near real-time support sources. Now you found the
newsgroup so be happy and chill.

on 4/22/09 3:59 PM Glenn Gordon said the following:

> Hi Ron
>
> I haven't asked "where?" That's exactly my point about Firefox. They don't give you any indication of exactly where the right place is to ask. Instead, they fob everyone off by giving them the run around all over the place.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Glenn

Dan

Apr 25, 2009, 8:17:42 PM4/25/09
on 4/22/09 4:53 PM Don said the following:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Please bottom post or intesperse in these newsgroups/mailing lists
>> thank you.
>>
>> Help is easy to find. First go to the home page
>> If you typed in www.firefox.com, the Google search comes back with a
>> link to the Firefox page
>> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html
>>
>> once there Need Help? with a link Visit Firefox Support
>>
>> which leads you to
>> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/
>>
>> If you can't get an answer on the Knowledge Base search or the Support
>> Forum search, there is an entry called
>> Other Firefox Support
>> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support
>> which lists the Mozilla Community
>> http://www.mozilla.org/community/
>> clicking on the mailing list newsgroup link
>> http://www.mozilla.org/community/developer-forums.html#general
>>
>> There we are, mozilla.support.firefoxf
>>
>> there are also other avenues of support if you wish as well.
>>

> But how does he find the newsgroups? I've had a similar problem and
> it's only luck that I remembered where to look.

Be curious.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Apr 25, 2009, 9:53:09 PM4/25/09

Mozilla has passed the buck on Thunderbird to another
group. Just like they passed the buck on the old
Mozilla Suite to the SeaMonkey Council.

Followup set to mozilla.general where this conversation
should go, to comply with the lunacy of the Mozilla Bullies

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

David McRitchie

Apr 25, 2009, 11:29:22 PM4/25/09
"Pete Holsberg" ...

> Moz Champion (Dan) has written on 4/22/2009 5:21 PM:
>> Glenn Gordon wrote:
>>> I haven't asked "where?" That's exactly my point about Firefox. They don't give you any indication of exactly where the right
>>> place is to ask. Instead, they fob everyone off by giving them the run around all over the place. // Glenn

> What Glenn refuses to see is that help is available by pressing F1 --
> just like every other Windows program!!
>
> That takes you to the Mozilla "Ff Support" website at which there are myriad suggestions, including a google-like search thingy
> for the Mozilla Knowledgebase.
>
> I frankly fail to give his "point" any credence. I wish you would just cut him off the list/NG!!

I think he made valid points and certainly has expressed his own
experience. Reorganization of Help to be more appealing to a
younger and a less technical group at the same time is certainly
not without creating many major problems. For one thing you
look for help at the top right. Now you might have to think of
looking at the bottom left. Pages have very large widths and
are probably 10 times the physical byte size due to styling and very
large graphics while producing less real content.

Pete Holsberg

Apr 26, 2009, 1:35:34 AM4/26/09
to Firefox user help
David McRitchie has written on 4/25/2009 11:29 PM:

> "Pete Holsberg" ...
>
>> Moz Champion (Dan) has written on 4/22/2009 5:21 PM:

>> What Glenn refuses to see is that help is available by pressing F1 --
>> just like every other Windows program!!
>>
>> That takes you to the Mozilla "Ff Support" website at which there are myriad suggestions, including a google-like search thingy
>> for the Mozilla Knowledgebase.
>>
>> I frankly fail to give his "point" any credence. I wish you would just cut him off the list/NG!!
>>

> I think he made valid points and certainly has expressed his own
> experience.
I was referring to what he said in this message, not anything earlier.

> Reorganization of Help to be more appealing to a
> younger and a less technical group at the same time is certainly
> not without creating many major problems.

Which Help is that?

> For one thing you look for help at the top right. Now you might have to think of
> looking at the bottom left.

On what page??

> Pages have very large widths and are probably 10 times the physical byte size due to styling and very
> large graphics while producing less real content.

Which pages are those???

I have found that non-technical users develop a sort of tunnel vision,
where they cannot see everything on their computer screens. The only
thing that would help them is having ultra-simple screens. And then they
would complain because it took too many mouse clicks to get where they
wanted to go!!

Are you

Man-wai Chang ToDie (+MS=V32B)

Apr 29, 2009, 12:47:01 AM4/29/09
Glenn Gordon wrote:
> Ever since the Firefox 3.0.8 update, unwanted tabs keep loading whenever I start firefox. They are the tabs of the homepages of everything I download, such as add-ons. I disable all my add-ons, but as asoon as I restored them, the tabs came back, increasing each time?

I suggest you back up your old profiles and start a new profile before
giving up!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.2) Linux 2.6.29.2

David McRitchie

Apr 29, 2009, 5:18:25 AM4/29/09
"Man-wai Chang ToDie (+MS=V32B)" wrote:
> Glenn Gordon wrote:
>> Ever since the Firefox 3.0.8 update, unwanted tabs keep loading whenever I start firefox. They are the tabs of the homepages of
>> everything I download, such as add-ons. I disable all my add-ons, but as asoon as I restored them, the tabs came back, increasing
>> each time?
>
> I suggest you back up your old profiles and start a new profile before giving up!

Hi Glenn,
Would seem that you have an extension that saves your sessions, or
perhaps Fx3 itself has multiple sessions read protected.
Session restore is built-in to Firefox, but Tab Mix Plus (TMP) had a
session saver of its own before Firefox. Also seems like you are okay
without any extensions in use. See what extensions you have that
include TAB in their name.

Sounds like you have an extension problem, since you don't have the
problem in safe mode. You need to identify the the extension, and if it
is not something obvious like one with TAB in it's name, you will have
to disable 1/2 of your extensions progressively until you don't have
problem then identify problem by enabling 1/2 of last group disabled
until you find the problem extension.

You should not see multiple numbered copies of these files in your profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_profile_files_created
If you do you read-only attributes set for files in your profile caused
by backing up files to a CD-R then restoring them. See
Profile: Finding and Assigning Shortcuts
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/profile.htm
also see -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Preferences_not_saved
once you are sure you have no hidden and no read-only files, in your
profile,

BJ

May 1, 2009, 5:03:30 AM5/1/09
Regarding the thread titled: "Re: Firefox is on its way out"

On 4/22/09 5:36 PM, The Real Bev's said:

> "He had no conception of the cello. He was BLOWING into it."

Woody Allen's music teacher may have said that.

BJ

--
Bob Jamieson

Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

The Real Bev

May 1, 2009, 1:41:32 PM5/1/09
BJ wrote:

> Regarding the thread titled: "Re: Firefox is on its way out"
>
> On 4/22/09 5:36 PM, The Real Bev's said:
>
>> "He had no conception of the cello. He was BLOWING into it."
>
> Woody Allen's music teacher may have said that.

He DEFINITELY said that. WA used to be funny.

--
Cheers, Bev