RTSP in firefox

Ubin

Apr 22, 2007, 3:41:05 PM4/22/07
I am getting the following error...Real player is installed, I am on a Xp
Pro

"firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (rtsp)
isn't associated with any program."
I am trying to open a streaming video from...
rtsp://video.c-span.org/project/atty/atty041907_gonzales2.rm

Google search lead me to "solutions" such as...
with no success...

1. Type this into the address bar: about:config
2. Now right click on any entry, and choose "new" and then "string"
3. In the text box that appears, enter: network.protocol-handler.app.rtsp
4. A new text box now appears for the string value -- enter the path to your
RealPlayer installation here. It will look something like this:
/usr/X11R6/bin/realplay

Can anyone clarify how to get this done?

Thanks

Nir

Apr 22, 2007, 4:02:47 PM4/22/07
Ubin wrote:

> 1. Type this into the address bar: about:config 2. Now right click on
> any entry, and choose "new" and then "string" 3. In the text box
> that appears, enter: network.protocol-handler.app.rtsp 4. A new text
> box now appears for the string value -- enter the path to your
> RealPlayer installation here. It will look something like this:
> /usr/X11R6/bin/realplay

you should see "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol#Linux_and_Mac"
note : as your OS is windows so path syntax should be like this :
C:\folder1\folder2\realplay.exe

squaredancer

Apr 22, 2007, 4:37:46 PM4/22/07
On 22/04/2007 21:41, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ubin to
generate the following:? :
open RP
main menu>>Tools>>Preferences>>Content>>Media Types
check the "Manually configure....." button
open the [Select] button

Scroll down to view RealAudio/RealVideo
make sure that RealAudio/RealVideo (rm) is assigned to Realplayer

Now open your firewall managment page and make sure that RealPlayer is
allowed to access the internet!

see if the link works!

reg

dillinger

Apr 22, 2007, 4:56:12 PM4/22/07

I think these prefs only work on linux and mac(osx), on windows the
easiest way probably is to go into your realplayer preferences
and tell it to handle the rtsp protocol. (preferences > media types >
select...)

Michel.

Ubin

Apr 22, 2007, 6:13:37 PM4/22/07

"Nir" <nir...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
That link lead me to instructions as follows...the fix worked like a charm.
Thanks.

Windows
On Windows, registration is done by the OS. To change the OS's settings,
create a .reg file, and place this in the file:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foo]
@="URL:foo Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foo\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foo\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foo\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Application\\program.exe\" \"%1\""

Replacing foo with the protocol you're specifying and C:\\Program
Files\\Application\\program.exe with the program you want to run. Note that
backslashes must be doubled and the additional slashes and quotes before the
path must not be removed. Save the file, then double-click it to insert into
the Windows registry.

The registry entry with the specific path for my machine was as follows...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtsp]
@="URL:rtsp Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtsp\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtsp\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtsp\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Real\\RealPlayer\\realplay.exe\" \"%1\""