SiteAdvisor compatibility issues

Peter Freeman

Dec 5, 2010, 1:08:22 AM12/5/10
Several people have raised issues over at the McAfee Community forums
connected with the SiteAdvisor extension for Firefox. The posters are
saying that two things in particular have been happening for at least
the past 5 months (first reported 30-June) -
First, they cannot save a page to a sub-menu within the Bookmarks
folder, only to the topmost level - the floating dialog box that
enables selection of a location does not appear (this has been
reported also in the Firefox forums).
Second, downloading a file (jpg, zip, exe and other types) causes
SiteAdvisor to display an erroneous warning that the file is dangerous
(a Red warning) or potentially unsafe (a Yellow warning).

These problems occur in SiteAdvisor 3.2 and 3.3, using Firefox 3.6.12.
Most users with these problems are adamant that they started after a
Firefox version change, but which one is uncertain. The end-June date
for the first reported occurrences makes it less certain that the
update to 3.6.12 is the one that caused the problem : what was the
current version in week 3 of June?

Disabling SiteAdvisor in Firefox certainly cures the Bookmark problem;
but going back to SA 3.2 and updating to FF 3.6.12 has also cured that
problem, for one person at least.

There is obviously a compatibility issue here, but is the underlying
problem likely to be with the SiteAdvisor extension, or with the
Firefox code?

David McRitchie

Dec 5, 2010, 2:56:19 AM12/5/10

"Peter Freeman" <mcafee...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:b544b758-1b0a-41d6...@z26g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Firefox 3.6 did away with the moveable bookmark box, it is now a door hanger
and you can't have it open and cut from something and then paste into it
anymore. You would have to bookmark save, copy more information,
then bring up the bookmark dialog and paste into it. They'll be more of
that stuff in 4.0 with message boxes hung at the side.

Site Advisor had been interfering with Ctrl+D. There was a problem
and I don't remember whose that was that clicking on the Bookmarks menu
picked the first item and treated it as being clicked on.

McAfee Site Advisor is no long carried at addons.mozilla.com you will
have to obtain it at http://www.siteadvisor.com/
and you want to refuse "Secure Search" and don't make Yahoo your
home page nor your default search engine when you install. Also
appears in the options just don't turn those on.

Are you sure that the messages are erroneous. There seems to have been
some changes in the past few days where sites are flagged that no longer
point directly to red sites, but that are being identified as bad because
of the way in which they are invoked, I think, with redirects. You have to
click on the error report to go to a specific location within and this is the link
http://www.siteadvisor.com/howitworks/site_report_definitions.html#webreputation
which I'd not seen before, it appears to go beyond their own former testing with
virtual machines, and now has other tests, it reads as follows:

"Web reputation McAfee tests websites for web reputation using the TrustedSourceT system. This system collects security data from
tens of millions of sensors located in more than 120 countries. McAfee's proprietary technology analyzes traffic and linking
patterns, website behavior, content analysis, site registration and hosting, to develop an overall reputation rating for the
website."

but in reading http://www.trustedsource.org/en/about/whatis
looks like it is their own proprietary checking anyway regardless of how it it done.

I had to disable "Optimize Google" and "Enhance Google" extensions
due to repainting on each link, but I figured that Site Advisor was more
important to me so I disabled them. It could have something to do with
Google instant which I have disabled or they way Google constructs its links
in the search results. You can see other postings on the Google instant mess
reducing search hits to 10 per page and interfering with trying to type into the
search box..

As far as having a useful bookmark dialog suggest installing
"Add Boobkmark Here ^2" so that the bookmark dialog is expanded
and include the fields you should have access to. See
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/3880/
To keep things simple include Keyword and description and eliminate Tag.
The Tag lines are what really confuse bookmark dialog along with not
being expanded.
--
HTH,

Keith Nuttle

Dec 5, 2010, 9:02:00 AM12/5/10

Question:

Is this the "Site Advisor" that comes as part of the McAfee "Total
Protection" package, or the "Site Advisor" that gets download with some
software, like Adobe Reader?

I have been running the "Site Advisor" that is part to the "Total
Protection" package for several years and had no problem.

Side: If you have not downloaded the latest version of Adobe Reader you
may wish to look at it. Adobe Reader X has the ability to added
highlights to the text in an PDF file, (You can still not highlight
parts of and image). You can add sticky notes any place in and in any
PDF document.

It shows up in all versions of the Adobe Reader. With Adobe Reader X
you can remove the highlight and comments when ever you wish.

Chris Ilias

Dec 6, 2010, 12:48:16 AM12/6/10
On 10-12-05 1:08 AM, Peter Freeman wrote:
> These problems occur in SiteAdvisor 3.2 and 3.3, using Firefox 3.6.12.
> Most users with these problems are adamant that they started after a
> Firefox version change, but which one is uncertain. The end-June date
> for the first reported occurrences makes it less certain that the
> update to 3.6.12 is the one that caused the problem : what was the
> current version in week 3 of June?
>
> Disabling SiteAdvisor in Firefox certainly cures the Bookmark problem;
> but going back to SA 3.2 and updating to FF 3.6.12 has also cured that
> problem, for one person at least.
>
> There is obviously a compatibility issue here, but is the underlying
> problem likely to be with the SiteAdvisor extension, or with the
> Firefox code?

The way extension compatibility works is like this:
* It's up to extension authors to put in their code, which versions of
Firefox the extension is compatible with.
* Changes in minor updates (e.g. 3.6.11-->3.6.12) are restricted to
changes that will not break extensions, so extensions authors only have
to state 3.6.*.
More info:
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en/extension_versioning,_update_and_compatibility>

If an extension causes major issues, Mozilla will blocklist the
extension, preventing it from being installed/enabled.
See <https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Add-ons%20Blocklist>

I have no experience using SiteAdvisor, but if you could provide more
details (i.e. links), that would help everyone in the Mozilla and McAfee
community test different versions and determine at which point the bug
occurred. All previous Firefox releases are available on the FTP site.
<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing%20a%20previous%20version%20of%20Firefox>

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>